1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ABJD's vs. Other dolls

Dec 21, 2011

1. I was never a "doll" child growing up--I really, really disliked them. So I never owned Barbies or any of the other dolls that are being talked about here.
      However, I really think they're comparing apples to oranges... "Why do you knit instead of crochet?" "Why do you ride English instead of Western?" "Why do you buy Dolce & Gabana instead of Generic Brands?" It's just a matter of preference, and perhaps a matter of someone's pocket book.

That doesn't necessarily make one better than the other (sometimes it does xD) but it all comes down to individuals and their personal tastes. I, for one, have never even considered purchasing myself a Barbie. They're just not me.

2. It seems to be some kind of internet phenomenon, not just with fashion dolls, but just about everything. The whole my hobby is better then your hobby, insert X reason. In this instance it ends up being who's the most creative person in the room.

BJD's are infinitely better then Fashion dolls because you know we can customize them and junk, and they don't have that yucky anti-feminist thing going on that Barbie does. *eye roll/sarcasm* I find it funny that Barbie and Bratz are "bad" for little girls self images when plenty of people have gotten on this thread and said how they never wanted to look like either. Apparently we as children could recognize how unrealistic Barbie was with her body type and not want to emulate it, but then turn around and talk about how bad it is, because I guess all those other little girls aren't quite as hip to the hype as us. And we need to you know save the children from Barbie.

3. How do you feel about paying the money you do on dolls when you could do those same exact things with barbie dolls and other less expensive dolls on the market?

I would like to point out that you can do some really amazing mods with other dolls as well. I have seen people change the hair on a barbie and other like dolls. I have seen some Monster High customizations where new parts have been sculpted for them to make them unique. I have seen plenty of dolls be re-painted to look original and different.

Personally i think the make difference is the aesthetics of the base doll itself. The main disadvantage a Barbie has since has the same face, so you can change her hair and eyes and add new bits like cat ears etc. But the base face will still be barbie. With BJDs people tend to fall in love with a sculpt and that often is how the face looks.

My first BJD i saw in the face to me looked like an original character of mine and i instantly fell in love with her. No matter how you mod a barbie she would not have my characters face. Plus Barbies can not pose at all and while yes you can take pictures of barbies and make them look nice, you are limited to how you can pose her compared to a BJD.

Does this deter you from the hobby in any way? Not at all! I love my dolls and they where well worth every penny i spent on them.

Do you have any good defenses about why you would spend the money on BJD's Than regular factory produced dolls?

Well my short answer is what people chose to spend their money on is no one else's business.

We all have what we are willing to spend on any given item and that has nothing to do with any one else. At the end of the day we are the ones who are living with the dolls they picked they have to be the right ones for that person a barbie looks very different to a BJD and if some doesn't like how a barbie looks then why spend money on something they don't like.

4. This is interesting discussion really. :) I myself can tell I was never a doll-playing person when I was little girl, and found these dolls when I was closer to 30´s, clearly adult age.

I liked the looks of the bjd´s and so far I haven´t seen any other doll with same possibilities than, let´s say for example, Fairyland´s Littlefee. She was the reason I got into BJD world, and I´ve never in my life seen such a cute face on any doll. That was the main reason I bought her, and not to mention I loved the poseability and possibilities to make an unique looking doll.

In this past year I have been experiencing other kinds of dolls just for curiosity, not for the pricing. I´ve had an Ellowyne Wilde vinyl collector doll, I´ve had a Monster High doll, a collector Barbie doll, the non-resin Hujoo doll. I´ve seen a Blythe up close, and I´ve owned Pullips and Dals before. I´ve bought movie collectible Coraline dolls, and miniature movie figurines, and I´ve once seen up close and hold also a reborn baby doll in real baby size. What I can tell after the experience, is that none of these dolls give me the same feeling than ball jointed resin dolls do.

The difference is in the feeling when you´re holding them. To say, the Ellowyne doll is quite the same size and height as Minifee doll, but totally different to hold and pose. If I´d have found the Ellowynes before bjd´s they might have really been interesting, but compared besides to MNF they really lack - the bjd looks more real human, alive in different way than another doll can look. To compare to Pullips, they are meant to stand in shelf, not to handle too much or they´ll get broken. With obitsu body it´s much more poseable and really cute, but not even close how bjd poses. The Hujoo doll is very cute but compared to the little bjd´s it´s so light and has such a cheap plastic feeling compared to resin´s heavy feel.

How do you feel about paying the money you do on dolls when you could do those same exact things with barbie dolls and other less expensive dolls on the market?

I feel that I would use the same money - and maybe much more - if rather than bjd, I´d like to buy an antique (or even new production handmade) porceline doll, a limited edition collection Barbie or other expensive fashion doll, or handmade art doll. I don´t need "a doll" at all; I want to buy something I appreciate as form of art. It is my money which I´ve earned with my own hands, I use it how I like best.

But to be truthful, I admit that if I would be a mother of pre-teen kid who would like to buy something fancy and expensive because it´s something she´d just seen in internet or her friends are having it too, and would like me to pay it for her, I´d ask her to prove her interest first. Of course it´s not about having certain expensive doll, if your desire is to paint, to make clothing, to make photostories or customize a doll in general. You can do it with several types of dolls. These dolls are truly too expensive to buy for toys for spoiled children, and they even are made of toxic materials, so I would really consider hard if letting my child have one. If there would be true interest, true skills to use and it would really matter which doll my child would have, maybe then. (And I´m now talking about my fictional child not yet existing, everybody else can do in their way, I´m not against it. :) ) A young person with her/his own money to spend it´s a different story.

Why this came to my mind, is that I´ve noticed that in my country nowadays it seems that very young children are starting to feel that playing is "childish" and they do not want the Barbie, Bratz etc dolls any more even in first grades in school. Instead, the collector dolls like Pullips and bjd´s are getting slowly more popular for girls about 9-11 years old. What they´re doing with their dolls - playing. Just like they´d play with a Barbie doll in that age. Many of them brake and spoil the dolls when handling them wrong way or just being clumsy while playing.

I´m a big supporter of children playing as long as it´s possible, but in this case I´d say the better option would be to make the actual playing-mode dolls more interesting and less embarrassing for the children, than pushing the kids to the collector and art dolls "because that´s not playing dolls, adult people have these too".

I suppose the better jointed and more customizable Barbies and other dolls sort of answer for this call, and it´s good. Not for every person the money is a matter; if you have loads of money of course you´re free to spend it by your wishes, but in generally there is huge difference if you buy a doll of $20 or $200+ for child´s play in similar kind of use. Young people and adults are whole another thing.

Does this deter you from the hobby in any way?

No, it doesn´t. There is a doll for every purpose, and they can´t be compared that way.

Do you have any good defenses about why you would spend the money on BJD's Than regular factory produced dolls?

If you want to have customizable resin doll instead of vinyl, porceline, or other kind of doll.

After all, I´d say it´s all about the purpose you need to doll for. If I want a simple doll to play, I can buy a Barbie. If I want a memory from nice movie or a cute mascot, I may go for a little figurine. If I want a collector piece to present some pretty clothes it may be a Pullip then. And if I want a customizable doll that looks wonderfully beautiful, I´d probably go for BJD. ;) If I´d only want to design clothes or make photostories, it wouldn´t really matter which doll it would be. As a doll, no doll in general is "better" than another, in my opinion. There are different dolls for different use and interest, just like said in many posts previously in this thread. :)

And if it was only about money, I´d go for the money then; waiting and saving to get something more expensive and luxurious if that was possible, and if not, then have something more reasonably priced or no doll at all.

5. Actually, if you're just starting out in the hobby, it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase a fashion doll or two, like maybe from Goodwill, wipe off the face paint, and practice painting on it so you don't spoil your $500 BJD first time out.

Barbies, Bratz, Livs and the like CAN be customized; I've done it myself. In fact, a Liv or Moxie Teenz doll is a good introduction for a young child who's interested in BJDs because of the poseability, the interchangeable wigs, and the general quality of the dolls themselves.

I don't have a lot of ready cash to spend on dolls because I have rent and bills to pay and a job that doesn't make much money. Still, I quail at the thought that anyone should have to justify the amount of money they spend on something they love. If they were using money that should go for bills, rent, tuition or groceries on frivolities--be it dolls, clothes, or nail wraps--then there would be a concern. But if you can afford it, have fun and buy what you like and thank God for the ability to do so. No excuses or justifications required.

Just sayin.

6. I haven't commented about this outside of this thread where it is kind of on-topic, after all :) And anyway, when the question is "why do you like hobby X and not hobby Y instead", "because X and Y are totally different, and I do not like hobby Y because I find it A, B and C and I do not like that" is a perfectly valid answer. Other people are fans of hobby Y and that's perfectly fine, too, because everyone has a different taste, and you shouldn't even be asked to defend your *visceral* tastes, or be pressured against them.

As I commented before, I don't hate 1/6 dolls, I *own* a number of obitsus, one dollfie and one momoko. But the dollfie plus wears a sukeban outfit with a long-skirted sailor fuku, and the 27cm obitsu with a resin head is a swordswoman with a tastefully lacy shirt and a scaled-down basket-hilt sword (she has the optional gripping hands to use it, too). What I *do* like about them is that I am not obligated to fit them into a gender stereotype by how the plastic was molded, and that they have facial expressions that *aren't necessarily* a pouty, sultry look. Variety, choice and being intended for easy customization, they're so cool :)

I'd just would like to have the option. Boy Monster High dolls have an ankle articulation. It is a conscious design feature that girl dolls do not have it and can only stand en pointe :/ Otherwise, I like the concept of the series as I *love* old Universal and Hammer films, it's just that the execution leaves me a bit sad.

7. Thank you for the belittling sarcasm but I don't think anyone's insinuating that Barbie alone is responsible for damaging the body image of little girls everywhere, rather she's another factor in a society that's increasingly obsessive about body policing and celebrity culture.
      While Barbie herself far out dates that current obsession and Mattel have as someone else pointed out changed her figure to not be quite so extreme there are people out there who do consider her an 'ideal of feminine beauty'. Obviously those people aren't present in this thread or if they are they're a tiny minority which is why it strikes me as rather silly to dismiss it entirely purely because none of us happen to fall into that particular subsection of society.

There are studies around that talk about little girls as young as five who are worried and obsessive about their weight and their body. Things like Barbie and the heroin chic trend that emerged in fashion photography in the mid-90's, which was a big factor in today's continuing skewed view of body image in the media, do influence people. Just because you or I or N number of people on DoA didn't fall into that category as children doesn't mean other people don't. Children are impressionable, some more so than others, there are people; adults and children alike who DO want to look like Barbie because that's what they believe to be an ideal image of beauty. While we can't blame anyone one single thing or kind of doll for that, I think it's ridiculous to totally dismiss them as factors. It isn't about going on a witch hunt against Barbie or 'omg wont anyone think of the children!?' but rather about something that's become deeply engrained in all kinds of facets in mainstream society which Barbie happens to exemplify in many people's eyes.

All of that said though, I personally don't dislike Barbie and fashion dolls because they're 'icky and anti-feminist', their aesthetic simply doesn't appeal to me. My being a feminist has little to do with that because if we're going to look at it that way there are lot of BJD's that are problematic for the exact same reasons.

8. I have fashion dolls as well. I have a *healthy* collection of Monster High (playline dolls), a tone of Pullip and friends (collector fashion dolls) of course I have my precious resins and a smattering of misc dolls that fit in somewhere in between them all. ALL of these dolls are able to be customised - some just more easily done that others.

I personally do not have any Barbies and have never really been interested in them (besides the recent Tokidoki Barbie, but I like her because she's supposed to be so evil for little girls and all).

All of my dolls I have for different reasons. I have monster high for different reasons I have my BJDs, and I have pullips for different reasons I have Monster High.

They might all be dolls, but they are really chalk and cheese in the end. No need for hating! =D

I know my post isn't what the O.P. is after, I'm just saying this after the overwhelming "I hate fashion dolls because barbie is shit posts." AND if you do happen to like Barbie, you are within your right. We will just have to agree to disagree on that one ;)

9. Using the cheaper dolls as practice before you move onto BJD's isn't a terrible idea actually and something i didn't think about until now. Especially a good idea when i have seen people ruin their very expensive dolls. This video for example -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELp4hvir264 because it could save a lot of heart ache. I would be mortified if i ruined my BJDs but would be far less bothered if i ruined a doll only a fraction of the price.

10. After reading all these posts and digesting what everyone said, one thing seems to stand out that I think is what's driving this conversation in the first place: cost. Would we even be having a debate on this subject if every type of doll were priced the same? Take the cost out of the equation, and then you have nothing of any worth to discuss.

I guess that I have read one too many threads discussing the cost of this hobby, and the people who may or may not feel guilty about it.

Folks, there is nothing to justify. When you say either the words "collection" or "hobby", you know you are talking about discretionary spending. Whether it's a $2 Barbie found at a thrift shop, or a $1000 BJD, it is ALL discretionary spending.

Miss Fungai, I don't think that you or anyone else needs to answer rude questions about the cost of your hobby. To those who have asked me to justify myself, I just turn it around on them by asking the same question about whatever it is that they spend their money freely on that I wouldn't pay two cents for. That shuts them up pretty fast ;)

11. How do you feel about paying the money you do on dolls when you could do those same exact things with barbie dolls and other less expensive dolls on the market? Don't really feel anything at all.
      It's a matter of taste, I suppose. One could argue that the main difference between a Barbie and a BJD is that a Barbie is (or was) mostly about her clothing. A BJD is an articulated sculpture that could be displayed nude and be considered a 'complete' thing. But they're both "dolls" and can be dressed/recoif'd etc. so there's some truth to the argument there's no significant difference.

Does this deter you from the hobby in any way? What, the expense of them? Yes, definitely.

Do you have any good defenses about why you would spend the money on ABJD's Than regular factory produced dolls?
      The only sensible (haha) defense is this: That I buy what I like. If it's expensive then I can have fewer of them, perhaps, but I wouldn't buy a doll I didn't like. I don't like Barbies, and never really have, so it'd be silly for me to buy one.

If your interlocutor prefers Barbie then that is what she should stick to, and good on her. It's not cool of her to badger you for liking bjd just because they're expensive. Dolls are frivolous things no matter the price level.

12. I've never had to defend liking ABJDs. I don't tell people who wouldn't understand or be interested about this hobby, and I don't tell people what they cost. If I had a partner, how much play money I had would be up for discussion, but what I spend it on would not.

I do think the target market is clearly different for a lot of other types of dolls. Volks, ye olde originator of these particular dolls, does not sell ABJDs to you if you're under 15. Most (not all -- e.g., expensive porcelain and Reborn dolls) other kinds of doll are designed for and marketed to children. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with adults collecting toys designed for children, but it's not something I'm generally attracted to.

I don't collect any other kind of doll. I'm not interested and I don't need the distraction/increased drain on already thin resources. Barbies and child dolls alike were things I had as a child that eventually made me uncomfortable because they seemed to be telling me what I was supposed to like -- made me aware that my tastes weren't mainstream. Geekery such as anime/manga showed me that there are even mass-produced tastes out there that I do like, and it was those things that led me into ABJDs. It was like a sigh of relief to finally find myself surrounded by an aesthetic that I do find pleasing. Spending money on anything less would be wasteful.

13. Oh I should have mentioned the moxie dolls since there more similar to bjds!

14. How do you feel about paying the money you do on dolls when you could do those same exact things with barbie dolls and other less expensive dolls on the market?

bjd's are totally different from Barbie, and other mass produced dolls. For one thing, Barbie is made of vinyl. While it is possible to customize her, alot of modification has to be done to hair, head, etc. and vinyls do not hav ethe poseability that bjd's do.
      Does this deter you from the hobby in any way?
      No. Cost may affect me budgetwise, and I have to be careful, but that would be it. Silkstone Barbie, American Girl dolls, and other types of dolls can cost as much as a bjd, if not equal or more, depending on the type of doll.

Actually, no, as I DO collect Silkstone Barbie, Fashion Royalty, American Girl dolls, My Twinn, porcelains- reproduction french fashion dolls, and so on, as well as my bjd's. I also do not feel I have to defend the cost of the dolls I collect to anyone, including my family, as long as I'm responsible with the regular bills, etc.

15. As for me, I like BJDs for:
      1. The sculpture. They really look like people and that matches my taste.
      2. The poses. I've never seen a doll that can get the same poses as BJDs. And it's really convenient for people who like to photo their dolls.
      3. And last but not least is the fact you can not only customise your doll and create a unique one, you can change a broken detail easily if you have to. This problem stands urgently for any doll-keeper.
      So I like many dolls but BJDs seem to me the most comfortable in holding.

16. I don't think that BJDs are like Barbies or Bratz at all... You can do some of the same things when it comes to customization, but in the end you are limited when it comes to a Barbie doll.

For example, the only type of "Barbie" I know that have changeable wigs are the Liv dolls. (Interestingly enough, the Liv dolls have joints on them.) Also, Barbies have painted on eyes, while most BJDs I have seen have actual eyes that can be changed.

I am not trying to offend anyone when I say this, but a Barbie box opening is nothing like a BJD box opening. Barbies come in cheap boxes, tied to the cardboard with twist ties and every BJD box opening I have seen is much more eloquent than that.

Also, BJD are usually much bigger than Barbies. (I understand that there are some small BJD, but I am personally referring to my own Dollfie Dreams that are 60 cm tall.)

17. i too have had to defend my reasons with a friend before. that friend lost and is now saving up for her own BJD haha :)

i collect and love other types of dolls but i simply find that BJD are top notch in doll world. i just have not found anything else that can hold a candle to them, they are, in my opinion, the best of the best.

there are practically no limits in this hobby. so many faces to choose from, then body types and just looking at all the different types styles and colors when it comes to things like eyes, wigs, and clothing, the possibilities are endless

other dolls can be customized if you put the effort into it, but for people like me who dont have much artistic skill, the results wont be pleasing, but i can easily customize my BJDs and be happy with the end result because they are made to be customized.

18. Wow, that's awesome how she is now saving up for her own! Lol! I wish I could get my friends to get BJD as well... Even if it's not the same kind that I have.

Something else I thought of, that doesn't matter too much to me, but could make a great case in an argument is that BJDs can gain monetary value, even if they're opened... Once a Barbie doll is open, odds are her value will lower. If I ever have to have a discussion about this, I will be sure to say that to defend BJDs.

19. When I was a little kid, I had tons of Barbies. I loved them, and never understood the whole "body image" thing that came with her. I thought her body looked ridiculous, like a Barbie, not like a person. Barbies were Barbies, and people were people. Although, whenever I'd play with a Barbie I wished she could bend her knees or elbows, and I wished I could change aspects of them for the different scenarios I thought up, but I settled with imagination since it wasn't that possible for me. Each one had personality and tended to play a similar kind of character in every game and I had my favorites. When I found ABJDS I was so excited because I found a doll that was more anatomically correct and could bend every way I ever dreamed I could make my dolls bend. They were different looking and a lot bigger. They were all so different. When I got my first (and currently only) doll I got her so she could be anything I ever wanted her to be. So far she has had five face-ups and already played the part of Sailor Uranus. I love her because I can spew creativity over her and there are no limits to what she can be. She is basically the perfect doll that I always wanted as a kid. I don't just have to use my imagination, I can actually turn her into a different doll with a new face up, clothes, eyes and wig, etc. I'm older now, so I don't sit and play games with my dolls like I did when I was a kid, but I still have a lot of fun making her into whatever I please and taking pictures. Now that I'm older too I can take care of her and appreciate her differently than I would if I was a kid. They are totally different, so I don't really compare them. One was something I loved to play with as a kid, and one I love to play with now. I still love Barbies and appreciate them for what they are. They are totally different to me though. As for the price, I payed for exactly what I got, and she was worth every penny to me so I've never been ashamed or embarrassed about the price. A barbie is about $15, and so I get $15 worth of doll. My doll was closer to $400, so I got $400 worth of doll. I wouldn't have gotten my Doll if I didn't think she was worth the money, but she is in quality and everything I ever wanted in a doll, so I'm more than happy.

20. There are lots of different dolls out there -- some that are a good bit less expensive than abjds, and others that are a good bit more. Price does not come into it so much for me, what's important is that I'm going to enjoy the doll that I buy. I could buy less expensive types of dolls, but if I didn't enjoy them, then that would be a waste of money. Since I enjoy abjds the money is not wasted even though I have spent more of it. People have never given me flak for choosing a more expensive type of doll, though I don't go into the specifics of what exactly they all cost since what I spend is really my own business and no one elses.