1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Accidentally Buying a Copy: What Should They Do?

Jun 10, 2008

1. If you are referring to the poorly done childish attempts to be witty (the real ad homing attacks on my beliefs) on this thread, no, I am referring to the overall behavior by peole who are SUPPOSED to be elder mentors in the DoA community bullying and chasing newer or less confident people into the outskit where they get no help in understanding or spotting bootlegs. Although aggressively insisting as some people have done on this thread on destroying a bootleg doll just because it's a bootleg and the individual is at best described as an extremist in their support is rather bullish. I had to go to recast friendly sites to learn anything about bootlegs and how to spot them.

Scam - a dishonest scheme; a fraud.....while recasters have used company photos again as a lazy way of advertising, no where have I actually seen a recaster advertise their dolls as a company produced item. They don't attempt to furnish them with company face ups, clothes, boxes, etc...and the other groups online both on fb and forum, list hundreds of recast dolls, and no one present was ever under the impression that it was a company produced doll. Assuming recasters are the scam artists that are trying to cheat you is only going to get you blindsided by a real scam artist.

And to think you have a personal stake in anyone else's business is delusional at best. Sure, you will not be able to collect their dolls, but you aren't going to loose your life's work or savings, home, or ability to provide for you and your family. Comparing your loss of access to loosing everything they worked hard to achive as a business is oversimplification. Maybe even insulting.

In aspects there have been good points made back and forth, but overall, telling me this isn't the hobby for me because of my personal dislike of hybridization and modification of an art piece even if it's manufactured is the bully behavior that leds no credence to any of your agruments.....

2. Dolls that are designed not to be customisable are off topic on this forum, however.

I boycott Dollzone, but it's a personal boycott. Some people might remember that I was very outspoken when they were making recasts, but since they went legit I feel no need to blast my opinions around, and in fact this is probably the first time in nearly 10 years I've needed to mention it. I'll photograph my friends' Dollzones at meets, and I will include them in lists alongside other companies. But I'll not give them or their offshoots my money. It is possible to be anti recast without treating people badly.

3. I abhor anyone who is so lazy that they just condemn out of hand. If you end up buying a recast, do the research to figure out whether the seller might have done this knowingly or not. To just immediately insist that the seller be boycotted is throwing the presumption of innocence out the window and proclaiming yourself an enemy of truth & justice. I'm sorry, that's just so wrong!

4. If you think I was "bullying" you simply by suggesting that other collectors with a different focus might be more open to your particular views, you have a very strange definition of bullying. <_<

#604 Brightfires, Aug 21, 2016
      Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    5. As @Tez pointed out some of the more articulate members of the hobby have pointed out the flaws in your thinking, calmly, and rationally. To do so is not bullying, because all opinions are not created equal. You do not have the facts on your side, and getting upset when this is pointed out to you does nothing to further the conversation. Beyond that, there is an expectation on all forums that people will do their homework, and read a bit before coming in with guns blazing. If people seem a bit impatient with you (and honestly, after reading through the conversation, I'd say that people actually have been more than patient) maybe it's because you give the impression that feel you have nothing to learn despite having very low past participation here.

As for your claim, above, that nowhere have you ever seen a recaster advertise their doll as a company-produced item, perhaps this is true. There is no way for any of us to know what parts of the Internet you visit. But those of us who have actually visited ebay and done a quick search for "fairyland", "iplehouse," or any other doll brand currently popular with the recast community will be rewarded with a list of recasts being presented as the real thing. It's enough of a problem that we get new, naive members coming to us, asking if these sellers are legit, because the prices are too good to be true, yet the pictures and sales text suggest the doll is real. That's proof that buyers see the recaster's presentation as the real thing: in other words, we have evidence that people ARE being deceived. You only have assertion on your side. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, and you can make any claims or assertions you like. But as I said before, not all opinions are equal. And the better claims, the ones that will actually convince thinking people, are the ones that are backed up by actual facts and evidence.

#605 sakuraharu, Aug 22, 2016
      Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    6. All these opinions have been interesting to read. Especially insightful when people disagree (maybe not in the most open/friendly display but I guess that sorta happens with disagreements sometimes). But uh... necropteluate, you're intentionally leaving out bits of what people have typed just to focus on one part. One poster said they would document the poop outta the recast and then destroy it. You focused on the destroying part, and said that nothing would be gained and there would only be fear of recasts. That doesn't add up. They would intentionally document it for others. So there's less fear and more knowledge, yeah? SakuraHaru basically summed up what I wanted to say though, just nicely. :3

Anyways, I have many things I would want to test and try on resin but would never want to do it to a legit doll. If I did accidentally get a recast, I would probably document it, report it to the necessary places, get my money back from PayPal hopefully and then.... it would be generously donated to .... science! 0.0

That's just me. In this hypothetical question where the word "should" is involved (I hate that word), I dunno if there is just one way to look at it, or one path they (over-encompassing term to include basically anyone or everyone) should (what's best, what's right?) take. So I just answered what I would personally do, sorry. >.<

I didn't know about Dollzones past, that was good to know...

7. I've read through the last few pages and the only one I'm seeing with a "bullying attitude" and "shitty behavior" is you. Your posts are over the top, needlessly aggressive, try to dictate how others should use their dolls, call customizers "butchers" and so on. Meanwhile those replying to you haven't resorted to any of that.

If you spend more time on this forum and read before ranting you will find that your claims are false. New and less confident members post threads all the time asking if a doll they see being sold online is legit and people will always answer them and if the doll is a recast then links to the legitimate seller or other, similar dolls are provided. All in a very friendly and informative manner.

Yes, I'm sure your presence on "recast friendly" sites was with the pure and noble intention of avoiding them...You seem to be defending recasters and recast owners and arguing over semantics. Recasting and knowingly buying a recast is wrong and hurts the actual artists who poured hours, weeks, months of their blood sweat and tears into sculpting an original doll. If I'm reading this statement correctly "Sure, you will not be able to collect their dolls, but you aren't going to loose your life's work or savings, home, or ability to provide for you and your family. Comparing your loss of access to loosing everything they worked hard to achive as a business is oversimplification. Maybe even insulting" it seems as though you either don't care about the original artists or if they lose their livelihood or you think other people shouldn't care about the artists.

Responding to your seemingly passionate distaste for and insults of anyone who customizes or hybrids their dolls despite these dolls being MADE for customization with "maybe this isn't the hobby for you" isn't bullying, it's logic. If you hate the core of what this hobby is then why would you be in this hobby and not one that is not about customization? It would be like joining a rock band when you hate loud noise.

8. Its been paid for and she already has attachment to it. Keep it. She didnt know it was a copy so no harm done.

9. Lolol. You guys crack me up. Just fyi. Here is the outside collectors impressions of DoA....

BJD Collectors

10. Almost...I feel like Adamant Anti-Recasts and Full-Set Purists are dangerously close in alignment as Lawful Neutrals. Newbies unknowingly purchasing recasts are True Neutral to me.

And no, I don't know why I'm hung up on alignments today, I just started reading this thread and was.

Anyhow, I can understand somewhat the mentality of necropteluate, somewhat? They kind of seem like they fall directly into the collector-hardcore side of this hobby rather than customizer-lite and customizer-hardcore, or anywhere in between, though I could be wrong...I'm just not getting how hybridizing is being compared to recasting? If anything, I feel like all this might have just been bottled up for a long time, and there is just a little bit of venting going on...

Edit: Ooooo...you went there. So edgy.
      e_e

11. I always considered myself more chaotic neutral but that's just me.

And this validates your slipshod arguments how, again?

12. And with that my Ignore list gets another name... Only the third in the last ten years.

13. I'm not sure that linking to this was the best way to make your point:

Since this thread has devolved to personal attacks punctuated by people responding to the original post without reading the rest of the thread, I think it's time to put a fork in it and move on.