1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Acrylic, Glass Or Silicone Eyes?

Dec 11, 2009

?
  1. Glass

2. Acrylic

3. Silicone

4. Other..?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I prefer urethane to any other type of eyes. They just have a better look to them imo. I'm still trying to find the right eyes for my cuprit. Maybe something in a pupiless. ;)

2. I prefer silicone eyes, but only when I'm sure which color I want for my doll.
      If I've to "test" various color like various type of blue I prefer glass eyes, they're very luminous and easy to clean.
      … and I can say more economic? I buy my silicone eyes from Soom and EMS Premium (the only method to ship in Italy from Korea) It's very expensive and custom duty are expensive too, Glass Eyes in good quality are more common to find in EU too (I said "good" not "perfect high quality gorgeous glass eyes").

And Soom, at the moment, doesn't have 10mm silicone eyes ç_ç I need them for my pukifees! My shiwoo still has default acrylic eyes.
      I hate acrylic eyes, in photo they don't give "a vitality look" but I only had low quality pairs, maybe Souldoll acrylic eyes are better.

3. I love glass best, but only specific glass eyes. :sweat I think a lot of glass eyes lack detail and don't look lifelike, especially the very inexpensive ones. A human eye is not composed of one solid colored iris, so I look for detail in the iris, which means expensive. I think Hand Glass Craft (UK) has the most gorgeous glass eyes, with way more detail than Everpurple Urethanes. They put a different color of loopy swirls in the iris, so you have all the glow and tracking of glass, but realistic detail like acrylics or some urethanes. I requested silicon samples from Masterpiece, and I think the detail is nice, but they don't look as realistic, so after trying them in a couple different dolls, the samples were relegated to the back of a drawer. If I was looking for something really specifically detailed, though, silicon might be my first choice.

4. I only tried Acrylic and Glass... and I have to say that Glass wins by far =O!
      I find them jsut better... they colors seem more vibrant =3

5. Glass for me. I've never dealt with Urethane so I have no opinion there.

In person, Acrylics and Silicone look okay.. But I hate them for their own reasons. In photography, Acrylics reflect HARDLY LIGHT AT ALL. Especially with my sleepy eyed boy, who really needs a pair of glass eyes. It's such a pain! Sometimes they can be saved in photoshop by lightening them, but not always. :/ Then.. There's Silicone. They are evil- at least in my eyes. It's not even the pixelation that gets me, but the fact that they are quick to dirty and a pain to position. I can't work with them at all, and always have to get my friend to help me with my boy who has them due to the fact they infuriate me. ><

But yeah. Glass. They reflect great amounts of light, glow no matter who I put them in, and have more depth then Acrylics or Silicone imo.

6. I was using acrylics first, but after discovering the beauty and depth (along with a multitude of color choices) of urethane eyes, my doll's been wearing that ever since.

7. I like glass or acrylic eyes. They don't have to be special, just the colour I like and they have to fit. I don't like those blinky eyes, too bright ones or with glitter.
      I have hard eyes for all my dolls, but for one doll I own hard eyes never worked (she's not liking 18mm domed ones and 16mm are too small for the whole socket) so I'll try some silicone ones.
      I heard you'll make them a little wet to adjust them better.

8. I prefer Silicone, as i prefer the way they frrl and if i drop them they dont scratch as easily as i Yea im a lil clumsy :S but i reeli dont like glass ones they scare me...glass shards and what not...Yea im very unlucky with glass aswell ¬¬'

9. I like to make my own from these pretty off-white beads made of crushed seashells. I don't know what they're called, but the shine is just about perfect.

10. 100% Urethane for me ^^; Although sometimes I give dolls silicone if they have odd sized eye sockets (eg: my DoC kids since their sockets tend to fit other eyes oddly for me). I love the way urethanes photograph, the way they have so much depth in real life, and the complexity they have. They truly are small pieces of artwork ^////^ :aheartbea

11. I have had my share of different kinds of eyes, and I have to say that my favorites are urethanes. :D I really appreciate the effort that the artists put into urethane eyes and I absolutely love how urethanes pick up light and photograph. :daisy

12. I love glass eyes. Even though I tend to be a total snob with Kanis Augen eyes, which are my absolute favourites because of how realistic they look. I have been satisfied with cheaper glass eyes when I can't obtain those I prefer.

I really dislike acrylic eyes because of their lackluster and pixelation, though I have to admit that Souldoll acrylics are pretty nice looking. Urethane eyes are nice, but they just done seem to have that shine that the nicer glass eyes do. Soom silicone eyes seem nice, but I don't like how they collect dust.

13. i've got a mix of all of them...I only like acrylic in lighter brighter colors...for a while I had all glass, but I've just started using the SOOM eyes in two of my dolls and I really like them a lot too.

14. I use all 3.

At the moment, most of my dolls have glass eyes, 3 have acrylics, and 2 have sillicone. To be honest, I just pick which ones I think look best for each doll, rather than worrying too much about what they are made from. ;)

15. I'm a huge fan of silicone :) Not only do they fit flush into eyewells, (apparently I'm drawn to dolls with wonky eyewells), but, as someone earlier mentioned, the proportions are more realistic.
      I do enjoy glass as well and have a few very lovely pairs that a couple of my boys wear when they feel the need to look ethereal :)

16. I started off with acrylics then moved onto glass eyes and haven't gone back to acrylics ever since.

Four out of five of my dolls use glass eyes of some make or another, but my Soom Sabik elf uses silicone eyes which fit him perfectly (the shade of yellow is as perfect as it can get for his eye color too). The only thing I don't like about silicone eyes is that they attract dust and can get smudged like nobody's business *_*

17. Urethane, hands down.

My preference is urethane > acrylics > glass. Never tried silicone.

18. I use them all from time to time, but I prefer glass, mainly because of how much better they photograph compared to acrylics.

19. i just use glass eyes havent tried any of the others.... hmmmm

20. I much prefer acrylic eyes because you have a bigger variety of color and size. And they are cheaper too which is huge plus