1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Acrylic, Glass Or Silicone Eyes?

Dec 11, 2009

?
  1. Glass

2. Acrylic

3. Silicone

4. Other..?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I like glass eyes, but the soom silicone eyes my friend has in her boy are really photogenic. Acrylics don't have the same amout of depth as other types of eyes (imo).

2. I like glass eyes because they have more depth to them. And because acrylic eyes tend to have an odd glazes look to them, like they have cataracts or something.

3. I'd really like to get glass eyes, but I'm a cheapskate. besides, I'm more attracted to the color of an iris than any depth or effects it possesses...

4. I've only ever used acrylic eyes in Teal. I bought them because I loved the colours and detailing on them, and I haven't seen such vibrant colour on any other type of eye. IMHO his look amazing, in real life as well as in photos, so I have no problem with acrylic eyes at all! In fact, sometimes when I see comparative pictures, I think acrylics look the best because there's such a wide range of vibrant and interesting colours and designs. That's what counts for me. I wouldn't buy an eye based on its material- it's all about colour.

5. I like 'em all. :P Seriously, I don't think you can have too many pairs of eyes. But I like variety.
      I'm probably going to take the plunge on some urethanes next year. I really like the way they look in other people's pics.

6. Glass eyes all the way. ^^
      I've never tried other kinds and I'm not interested in trying... ^^"

7. I prefer glass eyes as I think they have more depth/colour, but I do like acrylics as well as they come in loads more colours and styles.

8. I really like glass eyes.. But I also don't mind acrylic eyes..
      Those are the only eyes I've ever used, and have come across. XD

9. I own all sorts accept for Urethane eyes.

I love the schiny and depth of glass.
      The simplicity (and budget) of acrylics to try colours out.
      the versatility of Silicone, they fit soooo well (just feel creapy for me)

I would love to try some urethane eyes in the future as well, but i have no favorite sort of eye right now, I am more interested in colour choises.

10. I didn't used to like glass eyes as much, but now I find myself preferring them. However, I'm super picky about what glass eyes I like. When I find glass eyes that I like, I like them better than anything else, but I'd much rather take a pair of nice acrylics over a so-so pair of glass eyes. Silicon eyes are useful if there's some irregularities in the eye wells, since they just squish right in there and stay. I have one doll I'll probably keep in silicon eyes for that reason. I've never tried urethane, so I have no opinion of them either way.

11. At the beginning of my BJD-hobby, I liked acrylics, becouse I couldnt yet see the difference in anything but price. :D But nowdays, I really dislike acrylics on my own dolls for they look so unnatural. On other peoples dolls, I rearly see the difference, and acrylics have really big collection where to choose. But for my dolls, its glass or silicone. Its hard to choose which is better, becouse glass looks more natural, but then again silicone-eyes are often more fun looking. I still marked "glass". If I had to choose from same-looking pairs of glass- and silicone-eyes, I'd take the glass ones.

12. I prefer glass and urethane eyes. I dislike the way acrylic eyes handle, and could never get used to the 'squish' of silicone eyes. My favourite eye brands are ED and Volks' Zoukeimura.

13. Glass to me are the most beautiful, and the most enduring. I love the silicone ones, but they do fade over time. Most of my dolls have Ginarolo's eyes, they are very fine in quality.
      I really usually dislike acrylic eyes, but I have seen and do have a few really nice ones. Usually that is a happy accident though.

14. I voted for Acrylics as I tend to find the colors I want in them a lot easier than the glass eyes. Now I like glass a bit more, but colors are always hit or miss and the "gloss" eye look happens a lot with them and I don't like that too much. Now my Yo Nono has her default glass eyes still hot glued in and she looks beautiful in them and my Myu has glass in her so you know she has eyes. Everyone else has acrylic and top quality ones at that.

15. I use Soom silicone and Souldoll acrylics eyes but I'd would love to try some Urethane eyes someday. ^__^

16. Urethanes all the way. :aheartbea

They may be more pricier than other kinds of eyes but are absolutely worth it IMO. I do have a couple of glass eyes but they can't compare to the look and depth of urethane eyes irl and photography.

17. I have two dolls with Dollmore Glass eyes and three with dollmore acrylics. I'm very happy about both kinds ...

I have had other kinds of acrylic eyes and didn't like them at all! The ones that came with my B&G were terrible. Some strange-shaped dome made it impossible not to cross his eyes at any time! >.> It all depends on the company I think.
      For dollmore acrylics I prefer the darker tones and eyes with pupils. Others just don't really seem to work. I have dark-turquoise, dark-green and purple equiped atm xD all very pretty on the dolls I use them for ^^

For my SD I think glass eyes work the best. He had some pupilless lightblue/white and lightpurple with pupils but that didn't do the trick. He's very happy with the glass eyes he has atm ^^ Amber/orange kinda fits him ^^

My Bygg has pupilless purple glass eyes and I wouldn't want anything different for him, they fit him so perfectly!

I suppose the eyes that I prefer depend on the dolls I need to use it for ;) Though I have a preference for dollmore eyes!

18. I like and use Soom's silicone pupiless eyes for certain characters, but nothing compares with urethane eyes, especially the elusive Gumdrops, for realism and beauty.

19. I put down other for urethane. I admit I'm a new convert, I only got my first pair this past year and I love them. Before that I would have said it was a toss-up between glass, soft glass, and acrylic depending on the pair of eyes. However, now all I'm looking at are urethane. I love the fact you can get completely customized colours and the way they look in the doll can't be beat. Even in Puki sizes. :)

20. I much prefer silicone eyes (Masterpiece, Eyeco & some Soom) simply because they generally have more iris detail than either glass or acrylic. Plus, being soft, they're easier to set in those eye sockets that are less than perfect.

While I've heard wonderful things about urethane eyes & they do come in some amazing colors, they don't seem to have much iris detail either. One very cool acrylic brand is Safrin eyes. She makes them to order & they have fabulous detailing & incredible fantasy colors. I've been using those in my tinies. And they're REALLY affordable.