1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Adjusting" your English when contacting a company (to avoid misunderstandings)?

Oct 31, 2010

1. Oh yes, when I first started ordering things from overseas companies... and I saw their responses.. So I started making my English simpler with other companies too but it turns out they understood and responded perfectly fine regardless, making me feel pretty guilty. I guess it all depends on the company, but I never have anything truly complicated to ask anyway, so .. so far so good!

2. My standard way of contacting any company is to use clear concise words that are easily understood and state any questions plainly and direct to the point.
      in email form if it is something that requires explanation i will reread it to clear out any complications in speech and grammar - i only use formal writing for contacting companies in any case and generally avoid using emotes and acronyms.

I keep business as business.

3. Apart from being super-polite, I usually keep to a writing style that can be easily passed through automatic translation systems: I keep my syntax simple and my colloquialisms and idioms to a minimum. I also rephrase things and ask for confirmation, just to check that I have gotten everything correctly.

This is also what I do at work, since the company language is English but the co-workers I write to come from all around the world.

(Note for clarity: My first language is Spanish, so I'm also an ESL speaker)

4. Yeah I do that too, I write in simpler english, use simple choice of words and I adapt my sentence structure to make it shorter and somewhat similar to how they post. I also try to keep it direct and to the point, just to make sure there is no cause for misinterpretation lol.

5. I always adjust my English. I use one syllables wherever I can so instead of saying "is that available?" I say "can I have...?" and stuff like that. My daughter grew up with a language problem so adjusting to simpler speaking almost comes naturally to me anyway. The trouble is when you try to simplify the language but at the same time you don't want to make them (or you!) look like they're idiots. I've often written an email, read it back to myself and though "gawd, that makes me look like I'm a five year old" lol! So I've gone back and adjusted some bits to seem a little more "grown up". :)

6. Using a very basic English is useless in many ocassions too. I've reached the conclusion that many companies/individuals use Google Translator because the way they write and what they seem to understand is sometimes quite funny, someone who has a basic notion of English don't speak/write like that. Most of the companies should improve this point because it's really hard to communicate with someone this way.

7. I. AM. exactly like you!
      english is not my first language either. and it's obviously not the first language of the dude who answers questions on korean sites xDD (on Supia the answer i got was: "you can choice body type" )
      so i try to make simple sentences with very specific keywords so that even if they dont understand the sentence 100% theyll still see the keeeeeywoooooooords and their answers might be related to my question XD
      but it doesnt always work. because if i take the exemple of supia again, my question was: is the double joint body the one Emma is shown with?
      :doh:

8. Yes, I do that. I tend to make my sentences as simple and short as possible. Or I try, I'm still learning to do that.

I myself am German and English is my second language, so speaking/writing to someone who also knows English only as their second language, I've found that much can get lost in translation. In such cases, even if both parties have pretty decent English, it can get rather tough to bring your point across because of the different writing styles.
      When I first started contacting companies I wrote English but used my native German style -> meaning `jam as many sub-sentences and commas as possible in one massive mega sentence´ because that's just how German is constructed.
      Since then I've learned to avoid that and rather use simple phrases and emoticons to make myself understood. However, I still write overly formal (a.i. "Dear Sirs and Madams"; "I wish you a good day" ect.) because I find it to be inappropriate if I don't and the English language is sadly lacking the formal version of "you/your" ("Sie/Ihr/Ihre") we Germans are so fond of. :)

9. I'm a dealer for a number of companies and I very much do this. A lot of my company contacts have quite good English, but it IS a very VERY complicated language. There have been a couple of cases where we've had our wires crossed because of it.

So yes, I am careful to use simple sentances and basic words to get my messages across. I don't find it disrespectful because hell, if they were speaking to me in a second language I'd appreciate them doing the same!

10. Yeah this is interesant, them speak on another language and a lot uses a translator and traduce and paste XD

Many times I have mosunderstandings xD about doll size, measurements, paypal, shipping time, generally this pass for my english is very basic XD but fortunately I can buy and get my items!

11. I tend to use more "proper" English when contacting doll companies. I realize that the English they learn from textbooks is not the same as our everyday English, and also that they are oftentimes not fluent speakers of English. As someone who enjoys learning foreign languages, I know how hard it is to try to hold a conversation or conduct business in a language that you're not totally comfortable with, and I try to extend the same courtesies I would want them to extend to me if I were speaking in their language. Keeping sentences short and to the point is also helpful. So far I have had no problems when contacting doll companies ^-^

12. My biggest issue is that I am an English student (Literary English) and I have the tendancy to use what my friends call 'eloquent and elaborate' wording, whether I am talking or typing. I write as well, and love to write essays, so when contacting companies I have to be really careful to make sure that I don't use my normal writing style.

13. I also write in simple sentences. I want the companies to understand me, but english is not my first language and my english isn't very good. That could also be a reason ^^°

14. I try and write simplistic, but still professional. though the simplistic doesn't always come through. I think one time I email a doll company "I would like to inquire about resin colors and the possibility of ordering *doll name* without *bleh bleh bleh*" I use the word "inquire" a lot. or when I email them about how satisfied I am when I get the doll I use the word "gorgeous" a lot.

I'm not going to write like I'm talking to my friends on facebook, because I'm not. I'm making a transaction and I should act like I am. I don't use smileys or anything anyways... so I wouldn't start using them just for doll companies. normally I forget there's a language barrier at all... until I get a reply and the English is broken.

15. Yes indeed. The doll I wanted came with a factory face-up that I wasn't fond of, and I wanted to know if I could get the doll for cheaper if I got him blank. I tried to use to words they used when describing the doll's face up (they called it make up) to talk to the seller about it.

16. Oh yes, I definitely do this and know exactly what you mean XD I shop on ebay a lot, and if I have a question about an item I always look at how they word their descriptions (to see how much of an understanding of the english language they have), and then I look at where the item will be coming from to help decide how I should word myself ^_^;;

I totally agree with you there, and saw an instance where a good customer/seller relationship was definitely severed due to this >_<
      I was reading the negative feedback of a particular ebay seller where the customer described that the clothes they bought from her didn't fit and the size they advertised was in fact not what they sent them (the clothes were coming from an asian country so I'm assuming that the sizes just ran smaller than US sizes). Instead of being understanding and trying to properly work out the problem with the customer, the seller responded with an attitude and actually told the customer to 'go on a diet'. Needless to say, I avoided buying anything from them XD

17. I simplify my writing just to save time. I'd rather get the message across in one go than to have to clarify what I meant in several emails/messages. And considering we're talking to a company, as opposed to our friends, I keep the writing professional and businesslike (although I do put in :) to lighten the mood)

Also, I use a lot of stupidly long words in everyday conversation, so uh, my friends have asked me to explain what I mean a few times anyway /epicfailonmypart.

18. This. I completely agree that you should simplify a little, but you don't need to over do it. You are speaking to other adults in a business transaction- there's no need to write like you're speaking to a child. Nor should you use a bunch of colloquialisms since even in other English-speaking countries those can be misunderstood. I think it's just important to be respectful and clear.

19. I always am scared of getting misunderstood when I'm writing to bjd conpanies. I list everything I want to say out and then at the end I repeat everything in a simpler way! As soon as I get a response I message them again making sure they got everything correct! I always get really nervous that people don't understand me so if I don't do all of that then I start getting really paranoid!

20. Whenever I'm communicating with people who are likely to have learned English as a Second Language, I use more correct English.
      They are adults most of the time and are perfectly capable of knowing or looking up big words, but colloquial syntax and slang or idioms have no place in professional communications, regardless of whether the other person speaks English natively, and such things are confusing to those who do not natively speak English.
      I also try to be as clear and concise as possible when making professional emails. There is no point in blathering about when a simple polite question in proper form will do nicely.