1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Adjusting" your English when contacting a company (to avoid misunderstandings)?

Oct 31, 2010

1. i am generally be more formal when buying dolly items, because... i just feel odd pretending to be so friendly with someone i don't know. that being said, i do try to adjust how i should respond by looking at their reply (how good they can communicate in english, whether they like to use emoticons, even) because i kind of want to make the transaction smooth and pleasant. (now, that sounds like bad english)

it's just a form of courtesy to use simple language and provide pictures, colour swatches etc when you don't know if the other person is proficient in the language of communication, i believe, but i definitely have some trouble keeping my sentences short (look at this long sentence ;D)

2. I haven't contacted any doll companies yet (I don't own a BJD yet), but I do contact Japanese figure stores on a regular basis. When I email them, I usually type very formally and make sure I don't use words they might not be familiar with (like slang). I try to get straight to the point and also am very polite (always adding tons of thank yous). My emails are fairly simple. I do have to keep in mind that the person who's going to be reading it most likely isn't fluent in English and adjust my writing style accordingly. If I have to contact doll companies in the future, I'd probably do the same thing (although I'm not sure what their level of English comprehension is compared to the Japanese stores I've dealt with)

3. When I ordered my doll and had to interact with the seller, I adjusted to the writing style he was using. I did use as simple and one meaning words as possible though. But that was mainly because I didnt know how to reply and didnt want to be misunderstood.

4. The person who is interpreting for Dollshecraft is very good, but I try to keep things simple and straightforward as possible. And I do the thank-yous as well.

5. I'm a teacher of English and a translator, so I know how hard it can be to explain something to a person even in the easiest English terms. Therefore, when I first write to any BJD company (especially if I read their advert / notice boards texts and notice very odd use of grammar), I stick to the simplest language possible. I do add words like "I would like to" "Is it possible to", but that's about it. No Present or Past Perfect, no complex sentences, but often a _lot_ of smileys.
      But trust me, communicating with a BJD company is nothing compared to trying to explain one of our Italian partners that we need a specific spare part to attach a basin to its place in the hairdresser wash-unit, or a lid for a hairdryer, or any other specific spare part. Sometimes even with pictures attached, and even if the spare part is a big one ^^;

6. I try to alter my sentence structure whenever talking to someone who isn't a native speaker. I have confused people by my sentence structure because I'm kind of an English major. I feel really bad of course, I don't want to seem condescending.

7. When contacting BJD companies {actually, anyone that I do not know personally} I tend to be formal. But if the person's first language isn't English; i try to use words, sentences and sometimes phrases that a little child can easily understand. Also, I often use smileys when contacting through the net. I usually would say "thank you" so they would know that I appreciate their help and effort. English is my second language so I understand them.

8. I don't think I've contacted a BJD company directly, but if I did I would definitely use a simple, straightforward English. As a native English speaker struggling to learn Italian, I'd certainly appreciate communication in Italian in simple form (oi, that subjunctive!!) and see no reason why simple English would not be appreciated if one's native tongue were Korean or Chinese.

9. Well, I'm going to be the one who disagrees I guess XD
      I don't think I've ever had to simplify my English when communicating with a doll company. I've never really tried to be super formal either, and to be honest I've yet to have a communication problem with any of the companies I've written too.

Plus, as was mentioned elsewhere, some companies have fantastic translators. I think Peakswoods speaks better English than I do, and Dollshe was amazing as well.

What I have always made sure I do do however, is to be very very nice and polite. To me this is both a courtesy to the other party and a benefit....niceness translates well^^ and people seem respond to it easily.

10. English is a language the relies a lot more on tone and body language than most native speakers realize. I tend to think that most -- by no means all, but most -- English speakers alter their language, subconciously, when communicating via text.

I know I do it. I alter my speech patterns, sometimes drastically, depending on who I'm talking to. My clients and anyone else I do business with, including doll companies, get very simple e-mails, because I want to get the point across with as little fuss as possible. It doesn't matter the native language, if it's business it's simple and to-the-point.

My family and friends, on the other hand, are subjected to long-winded and winding rants about nothing in particular, sometimes spoken at speeds rivalling that of Excel.

11. Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one who did this..

I do adjust my English, not to be condescending or because I think I won't be understood, but rather because text can be so easily misinterpreted that I have to be simple to be specific. I definitely throw on more emoticons so that the tone isn't mistaken.

12. I find that it helps if I type really slowly and IN ALL CAPS.

*ducks as tomatoes are thrown*

13. :lol:

You slay me!

14. Having done this with my Babcia (Grandma for you non-Polish speakers) my entire life, I know just how important changing how you talk helps those whose English isn't too great. I do simplify the way I speak to companies, but still keep it formal (as it's a business).

My best example would be whenever my Babcia calls when my dad isn't home:
      Normal: 'Sorry Babcia, dad isn't home, but I'll tell him you called when he gets back'
      Altered: 'No Babcia, but I show him phone when he comes back' (she usually asks 'Is Dad home?')

Short, simple, to the point, and no confusing complex words. :)

15. I'm really surprised to read about everyone using smilies.

I've never used smilies or emoticons when interacting with companies directly ( though I do use them with distributors because they use them a lot, I'm just not a big user of them in general). I do adjust my language a bit, but I hardly notice it because I'm used to being around those who don't speak English well. Living in the international student dorm for a year makes the notion of adjusting one's English commonplace, especially when during a lunchtime conversation, adding in foreign words would make everyone confused( the typical lunch group I'd be involved in would have one Spaniard, three Koreans, two Chinese, one Japanese, a Ukrainian, a Greek, a Bosnian, a Saudi Arabian, and one American, with the most common language by far being English.)

I supposed I've just gotten used to using a similar language to times like that for most BJD companies, though I do find myself using the phrase "Is it possible.." a lot more.

16. I adjust my language a lot... I usually use simple English without any idioms or other tricky grammatical structures. Usually statements or questions without dependent clauses. Everything is very basic, usually

I've also learned from talking to friends at different Korean companies that there are certain things that don't translate well. For example "No, thank you" is somewhat rude to Koreans... I had a hard time understanding why, but it basically comes down to that their own language is less direct. As an English speaker, I actually thought it was a bit confusing because one friend she said that what she usually would say instead was "OK, thank you" which I told her had the opposite meaning. Saying that you are excited about a doll or looking forward to receiving it also can make it seem like there is high pressure to ship QUICKLY (I guess excitement can translate to more of an anxiety feeling).

One thing she did say though was that a lot of companies really love the English customers because we can be very sweet. They love that we say thank you and send pictures of our dolls... I guess very few Korean and Chinese owners do it by comparison.

17. Whenever dealing with someone online whose first language may not be English, I always think "What if they have to put this in an online translator? I don't want it to be all weird gibberish." I usually simplify the grammar and vocabulary while still sounding polite and formal. I've bought a lot of Japanese items (kimono, bento, etc) off eBay and never had a problem communicating. :)

18. Simplify to common english words that they could translate easily. I try really hard not to use words that we might have made slang too. When I went to japan, it helped to gesture, like we played a lot of charades. (Cause they are all about body language over there.)
      I try to sound as formal as possible when I talk to people, I'm buying from and even teachers! (I've had teachers who use chat speak which is really annoying, but I DIGRESS.) Plus you want to make the buyer feel like they are buying from someone they can understand rather then some kid?

19. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does it! It's just a simple practice that makes foreign dealings a lot easier, so I try and make a habit to remember to simplify my online speech when I correspond with overseas sellers/buyers. When you pay high prices for items and even higher prices for EMS, you don't want any errors!

20. I've honestly been thinking about this for some time now. I'm looking in to getting a new doll and I'm pretty sure English isn't the first language. Never thought about using emoticons. At least now i can keep this all in mind.