1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Adjusting" your English when contacting a company (to avoid misunderstandings)?

Oct 31, 2010

1. Whenever I have to contact a company (or anyone else really via ebay and similar) and I'm not sure about being understood well enough, I always simplify what I say and get straight to the point of what I'm trying to get across.
      As Mellyn mentioned - I also think of the possibility that a translator may be used and I know how unreliable some of those can be.

Basically whatever I type always looks really formal. I say stuff like "It is" rather than "it's" etc. Though since it is a business transaction anyway I like to use a more formal dialogue, it's just how I was taught :)

2. Usually I leave out articles and most predicates when I type because these often do not translate very well to other languages. I also use short simple sentences, and more recently I have been placing my verb or verb phrase at the beginning of my sentence, which seems to be working much better!

3. I definately adjust my english when writing to BJD companies. I remember trying to email a seller a while back to clarify some questions but it did not work well. After the 4th message I got from him (it was the same answer everytime) I gave up :(

4. I do, I try to speak in as clear and simple English as possible if it's not a native English speaker. If I know the language, or even a little bit, I try and use what I know to help. So much gets lost in translation at times.

5. I keep my language very simple and straightforward when I write to companies. Part of it is because of the language barrier, but it's also because it's always good to be clear in a professional setting. I write as simply as possible when I write papers for my science classes, too, since clarity is a virtue in the sciences.

So yes, I do find myself going back and taking out "big words" and restricting myself to the kind of words that I was taught right away in foreign language classes. I do this to be clear and helpful, not insulting :)

6. I tend to write in the way that they write English. I feel like if I use similar sentence structure, they will understand what I'm saying better.

7. O boy I am guilty as charged for downgrading my English when contacting vendors... I think mostly I try to keep it really simple so they can understand. Also sometimes I throw in 1 or 2 grammatical mistakes. I guess I think that they can relate and understand me better in english if everything can be just thrown into google translate and would come out perfect on their language or something :sweat

Also I tried to make it really short and succinct. Helps a lot cause it kills all the ambiguity!

8. Yeah, I do adjust my English to a a more simple and polite style. Maybe it's not a huge difference from how I write usually, after all English isn't my first language, but I do make an effort to be very clear with what I want and use simple phrases.

I don't consciously throw in grammar mistakes or copy the companies style of writing, I probably make enough of my own so I don't have to "fake" misstakes :lol:

9. I completely understand what you mean! *nods* I normally type pretty proper and actually enjoy using correct grammar but just today I was sending a message to a site that I am buying my very first dolly from! I was so scared I was going to confuse the manager of the messages.. so I typed as correct as possible~ lol! I'd hate to mess things up with my first doll on the way! I already sent the money Im just confused on where my tracking code is at! Where is the email darn them! Its already been a full week since I paid them! D':<