1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Age, Income and social responsiability?

Aug 22, 2011

1. [h=2]Age, Income and social responsibility?[/h]

Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?

I don't generally believe making assumptions is wise. Particularly in reference to age. I've known incredibly mature 16 year olds, and juvenile 37 year olds. I believe (on some level) it is individual. One can easily make a few assessments based on behaviour, though. It isn't assuming when you see evidence of maturity or immaturity.

What is your assumption in regards to Income and quantity/quality of dolls?

Just because I can afford something doesn't mean I will justify the cost. I could go out and buy whatever dolls I wanted, but I choose to only buy dolls out of Christmas and Birthday money and my self-appointed allowance. I usually buy 4 dolls a year. It's my way of being fiscally responsible, since my husband and I have retirement to plan.

What assumptions do you have in regards to an 'expensive' collection/collector?

It's all about responsibility and priorities. People put money towards what is important to them. I knew a girl who "couldn't" afford to see a dentist, but could suddenly afford to go shopping with her friends. So sure, it's odd to see someone who claims abject poverty but will find a way to afford very expensive things, be it dolls or whatever else.

Do you think there is some sort of 'social' responsibility that a collector with a more 'expensive' collection has to you or the community?

Nope. I don't think that a bit. It's nobody's business what I do. I give to charities and things I feel are important.

Do you ever have people not understand where your funds for the collection comes from?

No. I don't really talk about my dolls to non-doll people.

What do you say/tell people who seem to not understand or appreciate where your funds come from?

None of their business. Like the above statement, I don't discuss things like that with people.

What sort of social responsibility do you have towards your local BJD community (or community in general)?

Not sure I fully grasp the point of the question. As citizens of Earth and neighbors of humanity, I feel we all have similar social responsibilities, regardless the format. We should treat others like we'd like to be treated, always be honest, civil, and be willing to work toward a greater good. Leave the world better than we found it; leave the forum better than we found it. Abstain from cruelty, dishonestly, rudeness, etc. Eh, sorry. I'm rambling.

2. Honestly, you can only really tell so much about a person through their doll collection -- namely what dolls they like ;) A person with less money can save and eventually buy a more expensive doll, while someone who is better off financially might prefer to buy less expensive dolls. One does not necessarily follow another. On line I rarely know how old someone really is unless they give out some piece of information that makes it obvious.
      The doll people I have met in real life do not seem to suggest any particular pattern of collecting that I can think of off the top of my head, though some things like financial status are private matters anyway. At dollmeets I really don't spend time thinking about these things.

I know jealousy was brought up before, but that's not something I've personally experienced, and I've never had anybody be weirded out do to perceived expense. Again, the doll meetups I go to usually have dolls that run throughout the price spectrum, and it's just never been an issue. I also don't get exactly what social responsibility one would have besides the obvious be decent to your fellow hobbyists and treat their dolls with care. Those things should go without saying as that's just a matter of being polite.

3. [h=2]Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?[/h]
      Younger and lots of dolls therefore you assume their parents bought them for them...
      Older and only a few, that they are new to the hobby...

I would assume that if you're a younger collector and you have a lot of dolls, then you probably did get them from your parents. However, if they're older and only have a few, I assume they've somewhat grown out of the hobby, or just have other things to pay for.

Lots of dolls, you assume they have a lot of disposable income...
      Only a few dolls, you assume they do not have a lot of disposable income...

I would assume that if you have a lot more dolls, you have more money, or are more motivated to buy the dolls for personal reasons. If you have a few, then I would just as quickly assume that you don't want that many as you not having as much money to spend.

For collectors with a 'smaller amount' of money put into their collection...
      -When the collector is older (Post college).
      -When the collector is younger (college or high school or younger).
      Do you think there is some sort of 'social' responsibility that a collector with a more 'expensive' collection has to you or the community?
      -Is it assumed they have more experience and should teach (sewing, re-string, answering questions, etc...)
      -If there is a contest where a 'doll' is a prize that they should not enter to give those with less money/ability to buy a doll better odds/chance.
      -They should help out with advice on how to save funds, maybe purchase clothes/jewelry you have made to earn funds, etc...
      -Is there a point where they are wasting their money on dolls, when they should be helping out charities, etc...

If someone has a more expensive collection, then I would look at how they live instead. If they live comfortably, then they can afford it, but if they don't... If it's someone after college, I would ask them about what they do, and hope that that affords them this resin luxury. If it's younger, then I would think that they should probably save some for college, and spend less on dolls. To me, there is no responsibility that expensive doll owners, or any doll owners for that matter, have to the community. You've paid your taxes and you're a good citizen - that's all you're responsible for. I would actually assume that if they buy more full-sets, then they have less experience with sewing and whatnot. And everyone deserves a chance at prizes, no matter what they have themselves - equality and all that. ;) If they do have advice on how to save money, that would be helpful, but they should only do that when they want to, not because society tells them they have to.

When it comes to charities, helping out is great, but you can't save/help everyone. And you do need to take care of yourself. If that means dolls, then by all means go for it. I see no reason to be guilt-tripped into donating out your hard-earned cash when you really should be allowed to enjoy yourself.

For collectors with a 'fair amount' of money put into their collection....
      Do you ever have people not understand where your funds for the collection comes from?
      -Is there 'assumptions' made about you/your collection, due to your age/job.
      -A misunderstanding of the 'work' you have put into earning funds.
      What do you say/tell people who seem to not understand or appreciate where your funds come from?
      What sort of social responsibility do you have towards your local BJD community (or community in general)?

No, there are no people who have not understood my dolly funds so far. It is clear that I worked for them, though I am a bit spoiled since the money I earn can go to hobbies instead of food and college. Because I'm in college and have them, they assume that someone else is footing the bill for my college life, which is true. No misunderstanding of how I earned the funds, more of why would I spend those funds on this. xD But that's alright. I just tell them that I, like many people around me, saved up the money from odd jobs and stuff. I don't think I have any social responsibility to the community, except to be nice and polite and respectful, and maybe it'd be nice of doll hobby wasn't seen as something bad. So I hope to change that. ​

4. I've always been of the opinion that judging people is wrong.

People can collect dolls in whatever way they want, they can have as many or as few dolls with whatever price tag they want, it in no way affects me, unless someone is actually buying from or selling a doll to me.

I'm sick and tired of being judged for how much money I do or do not have, and I do not wish to do the same to others. Den of Angels is USUALLY a place where I can get away from these judgements.

5. Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?

To be honest I really have no thoughts on other people's dolls. I come here to talk to owners but I've never once thought 'How do they afford so many dolls' or 'Why do they pick such expsenive dolls?' So I don't really assume or regard their collection too deeply at all.
      Though, I have sometimes thought how do such young people talk their parents into buying them dolls :lol: or how do students afford it?

I don't discuss my doll funds with people/friends too be honest, its no ones business but mine. I certainly wouldn't expect to be lectured for it, as an adult that would be insulting. But I'm that type of person, I keep money and certain things in my life private, just for me. I don't discuss with anyone. I wouldn't say I'm guarded, just private.

A little being an older member, I like to help out newbies with questions, we were all new once. I don't think anyone should be made to feel stupid for asking a question. The only way you learn is to talk to other people who have that knowledge.

6. I was about to follow suit and post a superfluous amount of text but in the end, all of my answers would have summed up to be the following:

It's really none of my business what other people do, why other people do the things they do and for what reasons, where, why and how. I don't jump to conclusions because what purpose will that serve? None, unless I was in the business of finding others who agreed with me which in the end would be akin to gossiping. And that never ends well.

And as for what others wish to think of me? That's up to them and they can trouble themselves as much as they want with needing to know details about me. At the end of the day, if someone's making assumptions as to why I purchased something, for how much and when or how, I highly doubt their intentions are kind.

Whatever happened to being discreet?

7. Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?

I make assumptions based on a persons maturity not their age. I have met some incredibly mature kids and some incredibly immature adults.

I Personally wouldn't own more than what I have now. When I want a new one I will sell or trade the one I'm not bonding with. Usually there's always one in the group. I think that its subjective really and you can't make an assumption based just on quality and quantity. That person, like me may have saved up and bought/traded to get each of their dolls. They may have bought it on credit. If the person is older, a steady job may come into play though I don't think thats the deciding factor. If the person is younger they may have saved up their money or had access to their parents funds. I remember as a child my parents made me save up money if I wanted an expensive item and it wasn't the holidays. (christmas my birthday etc.)

Not at all just because somebody had a pricier doll than another doesn't make them any better or worse. They, like us are simply people who enjoy the hobby as well. Some may have a lot of knowledge and some may not. Because something is expensive doesn't mean the person has been in the hobby long.

Nope, my doll hobby started my freshmen year of college. I was lucky enough to get grants and scholarships that when not used for important things ( supplies, living expenses etc.) could be saved up for my hobby. Alot of people I went to Art school with were from money and had their parents buy them everything so they didn't have room to criticize.

I've never had this problem but then again if I were to come across it I'd just smile and nod. After all as long as their not being overly belligerent, they are entitled to an opinion as much as I am. My husband and I are both into hobbies and are artists. I find with being an artist things are already pricey. My group of friends reflects this so they understand about expenses on things.

I feel as though I come with understanding and acceptance. As with any hobby there are a fair share of elitists who don't remember themselves when they were new to the hobby. Rather than scoff I feel its a good idea to help those who need it and to accept choices people make regarding their dolls, even if I don't agree.

8. Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?
      No. Although, I do have to say, when I first started the hobby, I assumed most collectors would be older than, say, college age due to funding, but I've been pleasantly surprised this isn't the case! I've learned that anyone can join and enjoy this hobby so long as they are willing to be patient and save!

I do not assume at all, though I admit I am envious of those who can want a doll and buy it at the drop of a hat. Doesn't mean they have a lot of disposable income, perhaps they just have a good fund set aside for dolls! Some people are very content with their 1 doll. Others want a lot. It doesn't make them greedy or having a lot of disposable income. But they choose to put what they do save towards dolls instead of, say, vacations (not everyone, but this is an explanation for people who have a lot of dolls.)

Well, some people (like me) happen to be attracted to the expensive or rare dolls. But instead of buying a lot of little dolls, they choose to put their money towards the ones they really want. This applies to younger and older collectors.

Not at all. But, I do admit that it is NICE when an EXPERIENCED (not expensive) collector helps set a camera or shows proper restringing. A person could have a hella-expensive collection and not know anything about restringing or sewing.
      It would be a sad day for people to start expecting someone to buy from them or sit out from enjoyment just because they have awesome dolls. They're as entitled as everyone else to buy the doll they want. Though, I do personally have a problem with people buying a lot of a super limited (read, 10 dolls) just to resell for super inflation.

All the time. :/ Mostly people outside of the doll-hobby though. I mean, I work full time AND go to school. I live at home and help out with the bills, but I have money left over. Instead of spending it on new clothes and stuff (since I only do that about once a year), I spend my money on dolls.

I don't bother trying to explain. It's my money, not theirs. They can suck it up. I don't owe anything to them, and what did they think? I was just going to hand them my spare change? I don't understand people who go on vacation all the time, but that's what they enjoy. I enjoy dolls.

After being in this hobby for a few months, I do feel like I have the ability to share knowledge resources. If I know of a good face-up artist or clothing shop, I can point people towards it. If there is an understated but awesome line of dolls coming out, I can recommend them to people if asked. And if I knew more about photography and such, I wouldn't mind helping out in those areas when possible. I just think it's awesome to be social... that's one thing I like in this hobby, but I respect people who keep it to themselves, too.

9. Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?
      -- I generally assume what a person is like based on the presentation of their dolls, the way they speak on the forum, more so than by their collection of dolls. However, if I do see a teen with oodles of dolls especially the expensive ones, yes it's usually safe to assume they had some help attaining them. lol That's about as far as my assumptions go lol

-- I assume that the person likes what they like and owns what fits into their budget in correlation.

I suppose I fit into the "fair amount" category :XD: So I'll answer these. . .

-Is there 'assumptions' made about you/your collection, due to your age/job.
      -A misunderstanding of the 'work' you have put into earning funds.

-- Actually, yes there is. I'll dare to say it, a lot of people think that when someone owns a lot of the more expensive dolls that they're rolling in the dough, never mind the planning and sacrifice that it does take for some of us to get what we want. Some of us buy and sell like crazy to afford the few expensive ones that we have, others work their butts off to afford their little bit of extra savings to chuck into the doll fund. Some may say, "well get a cheaper doll instead." To that a lot will answer, "Why go for something that I don't want, when I could put that money towards the one that I do?"

It's not like we see the price tag and go "OMGGGGG. MUST FLING CASH. AT. HIGH. PRICE TAG." A lot of times it's the sculpt and the sculpt is something HARD to look away from when trying to home a character, if that's the intent when shopping.

I guess what I'm saying is that there aren't many of us are wiping our rear ends with cash :XD: The rest of us do what we have to do to get what we want. Settling for anything less seems like a waste. Wish that was more understood. :lol: No matter our age, we do what we have to, all across the board.

-- Really, I don't look for appreciation, just wish the assumption that one is a snob for having a collection on the more expensive side didn't exist. If it's online or in person and they accost me personally for how i choose to spend my money, they can kiss the south end of a northbound moose. They don't know what I go through to earn what I have. I have every right to choose where every bit goes.

-- For being a doll owner? None. Just because I own the dolls in my collection does not mean that i need to take up a trade so that I can answer a question a newbie can probably find the answer to on their own xD Out of the kindness in my heart I answer some questions when i can, but by no means do i feel obligated to do so just because I have dolls that people consider expensive. Because I'm not a jerk, I bring food to our Doll meet pot lucks too :lol: I dunno, I feel that I don't owe anyone anything just because I own expensive sculpts.

10. Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?
      Not really. I mean, sure... if a 12-year-old has piles of expensive dolls chances are someone bought at least some of them for him/her, but that's none of my business and I don't care, why would anyone care? I personally know a young collector who has several dolls, some were birthday/Christmas gifts, but many were from selling toys she no longer played with (such as Barbies, Build-a-Bears and American Girl stuff) and saving up allowance.

I try not to assume, because you never really know anyone else's situation. I mean, it looks like I have quite a lot of dolls... but honestly I don't have all that much (read: very, very little right now) disposable income, and live on a pretty small salary. Several of my dolls are just heads that share bodies. Many were super-amazing marketplace deals (at least 5 or 6 of my dolls were under $150... if you consider one was a gift head on a shared body, he was essentially free!). I do almost all my own faceups. Right now ALL my doll money comes from selling things I no longer use, money given to me as birthday gifts, and doing faceups. I might, maybe if I'm lucky be able to buy one doll this year, late in the year. Maybe.

Plus it's not really my business how much money anyone chooses to put into the hobby. A teenager could save for a fullset Soom monthly or whatever. A billionaire could decide all she really wants is a Resinsoul tiny. It's all good.

Absolutely not. For many reasons... one being that other than the general niceties society expects in general, no one owes anyone anything. And as far as teaching and experience goes, sometimes it's the exact opposite. Someone with 10 completely fullset Volks and Soom dolls and no others isn't necessarily going to have any experience at all with doing faceups and restringing. Someone who has taken their one Bobobie and painted it beautifully and modified it so it poses well likely DOES have plenty of experience in those things. (Bobobies and Resinsouls almost require you to get good at restringing and sueding!)

I'm sure there have been, but I don't know that it's ever come up in conversation. People don't seem to care. I know I don't!

I don't consider it responsibility at all, but I actually enjoy helping newer people with their dolls when I can. I don't have to, but I like to. And I've had other owners help me with things, which is great. I tend to go by the golden rule as much as possible, I guess. As for the community in general, more or less the same thing. As far as charities go, I tend to donate time more than money. And sure, working with abandoned kids with no families who own nothing more than 2 outfits and a few Silly Bands makes me boggle a little at the amount I've spent on dolls... but not enough to sell them. I enjoy them too much, and they're not preventing me from helping others. And I know those kids, once they're out of school and living and working on their own... they're going to save up and buy themselves iPods and stuff - AND some of them will go back and help with the younger kids coming up. It's not just one thing or another!

Basically my philosophy is to be nice to people and try and keep my nose out of their business.

11. Do you make assumptions in regards to someone's age when it comes to their collection?
      I admit that when I see a user with a larger collection, I assume them to be a bit older, as in out of high school. I don't really care how they got them, my parents bought me two of my doll bodies.

I actually never really thought about income, though when I see a larger collection exspecially of more expensive dolls I do assume that they spend a larger percentage of their income on dolls than those with fewer, but now that I think about it, you can blow alot of money on even one doll if you get them enough stuff...

For collectors with a 'smaller amount' of money put into their collection...
      -When the collector is older (Post college): I look up to them, since I'm in high school and have barely been in the hobby two years, I hope to expand my collection and maybe one day get splurge on a limited volks doll.
      -When the collector is younger (college or high school or younger): I acutally view college and post college people pretty equally since they are older than me. High school or younger, I respect them since they have usually been in the hobby much longer than me.
      I think some collectors choose to step up to the plate and become leaders in the doll community, but it's a choice. You have no obligation to other doll collectors just because you have a few soom monthlys or volks limited galore. Younger members like myself do appricate people lending them a hand, but it's a choice from those older members to make.

12. That's the word I was looking for: discreet!

There are plenty of hobbies to enjoy if excessive displays of spending are what you're about. It's not that welcome here. You could even be branded 'elitist'.

13. This is so well-put. (And I say that as someone who has spent the past several months having to learn new and glitchy-and/or-perpetual beta software for my job, which is an 18 hour a day endeavor, just to make sure I keep earning enough to cover my needs and wants! Easy, it ain't. Stressful... whoa nelly. I never thought I'd be so exhausted as a total workaholic... this might break me of the habit!)

One of the things that comes to mind for me is that we have an excellent resource -- this forum -- that covers a lot of the information people need, and more than they ever likely imagined they could possibly need. ;) It's not like someone has to post a resume, or own X number of dolls before they feed the info pool we're... well, we're soaking in it. The place is an olympic size pool of useful knowledge that anyone can feed into, and any of us can reference.

Personally, the best way I've found I can offer help isn't to reinvent the wheel by explaining something that someone else already explained brilliantly four years ago; the best help I can really offer someone is pointing them to the link where it is best described by someone who is more expert than I am, or if the questions are more general, to the forum where such questions are gathered. (If it's about customizing, ask or search there, if it's about tiny dolls, check there, etc.) To my way of thinking, it's the 'give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for life' principle at work: I can personally provide only so much info. I can provide basic tips to help someone find that info themselves in much more detail and clarity than I could offer myself, and covering permutations of the subject that -- no matter how many dolls are on my shelf, one or one hundred -- I might not personally have experience with.

14. A lot of this seems to be about "obligation." I think everyone who has posted has made it pretty clear that nobody has an OBLIGATION to do anything for anyone. Presumed "wealthy and experienced" collectors have no more and no less obligation than a high school kid with no allowance.

That said, it is kind to answer "inane" questions from newbies; and it's kind to offer rides and bring snacks to meets; and it's kind to help others with restringing and other tasks that seem scary when you're inexperienced.

You have a right to choose not to be kind--and I have a right to judge you as unkind for making that decision. It doesn't really have anything to do with how many or how expensive your dolls are.

15. My motto is, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Don't want to help out new doll people? That's ok, there'll be other doll people to help them. Don't want to offer lifts? Sure, then don't offer. Simple.

So if you do do something, you can't bitch about how you didn't want to do it (because if you didn't want to do it, why do it?). So complaining about being nice to new doll owners is ruder than not being nice* in the first place. Bitching about giving the unqualified lifts is way more disgusting than not offering a lift in the first place. I really can't see how any community could demonize someone for not helping out, so I think this thread is less community driven and more persecution complex.

*I simply mean not helping out in any way. If you're rude and horrible to someone, that's obviously not nice regardless.

16. Wow, what a load of silver-plated bollocks. Here we go with this Community Property shtick again. Why do people keep bringing up this weird notion, that any doll owner has the right to tell any other doll owner what to do with their money or time, or how to behave towards others, just based on the dolls that they own? This is the internet, kids-- you have NO idea what anybody is like behind the dolls that they show! It's just pictures online! Behind that row of homepainted Naruto-cosplay Bobobies could be an heiress, behind that Volks LE custom repaint could be a college kid.

If you assume anything about anybody you don't personally know, and form your opinions based on the assumption, you usually turn out to be wildly wrong and then feel like an asshead. (Which you're entitled to do anyway, of course, because it's usually a powerful learning-experience.)

Our scene here doesn't seem to have anybody who'd even consider denying somebody else a ride home from a meetup just based on the dolls they own.... do people really DO that? It sounds really bizarre to me, almost fictional. Like somebody saw Heathers too many times and just wants to make their own mean-girls club.

And we have a large community here, too. Maybe it's just because it's San Francisco and there is that whole "laid-back" thing going on; whatever it is, it works, because our meetups are generally so pleasant. I don't know anyone here who obsesses so much about age, income-brackets, brand-discrimination, and what other folks do with their money. Maybe that's an LA thing? ^^

17. This right here.

18. I agree completely. The fact that someone would feel the need to standardize their criteria for judging others mystifies me a bit. Sheesh. Just admit to yourself that you don't feel like helping out members of the community and get over it. It find it amusing, however, that a person with such a strong need to compartmentalize others' circumstances would even be attending a meet. How can you have a social interaction with a person you've demographically analyzed, judged and dismissed? To me it defeats the purpose of a meet, unless that purpose is to lord it over another with ones clearly superior dolls.

Nah. There are ugly people everywhere. It's just that most people keep these kinds of thoughts to themselves because they have the self-awareness to recognize that indeed they are being self-centered and judgmental and that these are not seen by most as positive character traits.

19. Thanks for the thought-provoking conversations here. I'm glad this is unlike those status-hobbies (e.g. collecting fancy exotic cars) where the barrier to entry is so high that v. few ppl can enjoy.
      From my perspective, it's prolly best not to assume anything as things often have a funny way of surprising my 'assumptions'. :)
      Mme. duBunny

20. [paragraph]I draw few conclusions about people based on their collection, but I get annoyed by a few things in this hobby. As a person who works hard and makes a great deal of money, I enjoy spending it, but responsibly so. When I see some people who live with their parents and skip bills, or should be spending for things that they should take responsibility for, it annoys me that someone like me who works so hard and has done so since he was aroun sixteen when he started to live on his own. To each his own, but make sure you check your situation, are there other things you SHOULD be spending for, or maybe even just get a single doll and focus on that one so that you ardent spending every dollar on dolls when you should be helping out your family in this terrible economy?[/paragraph][paragraph]The only other thing that truly annoys me, is when someone is and generally even outrightly tells everyone that they are a penny pincher, but complains about the quality of things they pay for. I totally get saving your money, but with what you're willing to spend also comes a certian level of quality that you must come to expect. When you buy a doll from a company known for not giving the best quality, you must know that and shouldn't complain to those of us who are willing to spend on something we feel truly makes us happy. I suppose that this feeling come from the people I work for who often feel that they shouldn't have to pay for the high quality of work they get, just because it apparently "should cost what I am willing to pay for and also be of the highest quality", and no matter the situation these days, that just ain't how the world works my friend. Other than that, dolls are a passion, show that you truly love it in your own way, and no matter what way that is, they will understand and respect you, or perhaps I should say that I will respect you.[/paragraph]