1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ageing and BJDs

Apr 9, 2011

1. How do you view the fact that you are ageing but your dolls stay young and beautiful forever?
      Fine with me.
      It's probably more obvious if you're younger and you grow older than your dolls, perhaps? And maybe interests change more quickly?
      My dolls are more fantasy/immortal types, but I don't pay attention to their ages. And I'm older-looking than them all anyway--and that's how it's always been for me, so I don't notice!

Do you think it will(or have it?) ever affect you that they never age?
      Nope. I HOPE they don't age, actually!!!

Is it different when you do not stick to the doll forever? Like, is it different to trade/buy/replace the doll(s)
      I've kept all my dolls. And I've had dolls since 2004. I know what I like and it doesn't change so drastically in just a few years' time...

LOVE it!

I want one of those!!!! :D

2. I was already old when I started collecting bjds, so I guess it doesn't really matter in my case. ;)

3. I don't think it changes anything that my dolls don't age. I don't interact with them as if they are alive so there's no reason for my feelings towards them to change as I grow older. I'll still dress them up and take photos as long as I can. As for the characters the dolls represent not aging, that's also fine with me. The dolls are the characters at a single point in their life (ie age 19, or age 15) and honestly some of them I can't imagine as middle aged, though at least one I can imagine elderly and waving a cane at nurses at a home.

When it comes down to it though, my answer is, they're dolls. I don't expect them to age and I buy them knowing they won't so my choices for them are based on them being this way forever.

4. I'm in my 40's, I still have dolls and toys that I had as a child.

They're dolls, not living-breathing people, you don't expect them to get any older.

I just count myself as fortunate that I never grew out of playing with dolls and toys as I got older, as so many of my contemporaries did.

Teddy

5. Count me with the 'older' crowd too, I guess (in my 40s)... since my dolls all seem to be some sort of fantasy fairy/ghost type characters, they are ageless to me. I've never assigned them an age or a birthday; in some cases they seem wiser and older than I am. This reminds me of a time when my son was a newborn infant, and we would gaze at each other for what seemed like hours... at the time he seemed as if he had arrived from a long journey from another planet, there was an ageless wisdom in his little month-old eyes. (Now he is 14 and plugged into an iPod all day long!) I get the same sort of vibe from my dolls-- youthful face, but ageless and wise.

Also on that note-- I am a teacher, and boy does that feel weird sometimes...my students are forever 18-22 or so while I get older. It's like working in Neverland. Weird!!

6. Yeah!! I couldn’t find the right words to say it, but you described it perfectly! Even my old baby doll has this “wise” sort of feel almost as if it has “seen” many things. Even my tiny seems old hahaha.