1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Alice in Wonderland and dolls

May 23, 2007

1. I love Alice! The dresses are soo cute!

2. Dorothy's slippers were changed to ruby from silver because of the OMG-Let's-Use-Technicolor parts of the movie, lol. In the books she is a very normal little girl who changes clothes and usually is wearing farmhand stuff IIRC. She's also a LITTLE girl in the books, too, lol. The image most people have of Dorothy is rather wrong book-wise...but you're right, most would rather have their imagining done FOR them these days *grin*

3. I do believe that's the main reason as well, Alice fashion and lolita are very similar and that transfered over well to BJD's as well as the fact that they are very popular fashion statements in the Asian world.

4. It has a lot of gothic lolita possibilities...not to mention american mcgee's video game was rather awsome. AIWL is also rather popular in the gothic subculture for the same reasons and also the drug references.. y_y

5. I agree with what everyone has said about why they're so popular. When I was little I wanted to be Alice. Back then I just knew that I would have handled Wonderland better than she did.

More Red Riding Hood!! Yesss! Hmmm... Eira would make a good little red riding hood. *plots*

I also recommend the Svankmajer version, its creepily awesome.

If you're looking for more media references to Alice this is an excellant site. Everything from the latest TV offering to the silent movies :3nodding:

I would also recommend reading "The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition" by Martin Gardner, both books in one cover and lots of background on the books. And the math problems!

6. Personally, I think it has to do with the fact that Alice in Wonderland is such a dark, trippy type story. Very bizarre :) It's gothic without being gothic LOL

7. Dollmore has a cute one for Banjis :) I got my Eomji the Alice outfit when I got her, but I have been very tempted by the Red Riding Hood outfit since then :)

8. its about escapism (this and peter pan are often assciated with bjd) and growing up

9. My theory: The novel works for bot adults and children. Achild will read it and see it as a nice fairytale, whilst it has some elements of horror in it which also appeal to the adult-world. (Think of the video-game of Alice in Wonderland and the horror-film Marilyn Manson is directing which tells the story of Alice)
      And also it´s popular among the Manga and GL-genre.

10. i think alot of people(myself included) enjoy the lolita clothes. they're really cute and make alice recognizable with her poofy dress and hairband and shoes. i'm not a huge fan of alice, i only ever watched the movie once >.> but i do like lolita and i'm sure alot of people share the sentiment :D

11. I, myself, am actually going to be doing my dolly based on Alice :D As many have mentioned, there are the great factors that Alice is 1) recognizable 2) in fashion (lolita) and 3) classic. But also, for me, I really do love Alice so much ( almost too much '^^) because of the witty, charming, and peculiar stories Lewis Carroll wrote of her fantastic adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking glass!! I was never really that into Alice before I read the actual books about her ( in fact, I had only seen the movie once when I was little, and didn't remember a thing XD). After reading these amazing stories, it wasn't long before I found myself in love with everything to do with her!!

12. I don't know why Alice and not other characters. Why not Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?

But Alice definitely ties into goth somehow. There are Alice Blythes, goth Alice art (see this example that looks like Bambicrony Pepe http://www.strangeling.com/aliceandthemushrooms.html ) and other Goth Alice things. Wikipedia does mention among the themes of Alice in Wonderland death, madness, and drugs.

Carolyn

13. Because it's so easy to turn into gothic or lolita. and it's adorable. :]

14. nissi_nirvani, you stole the words out of my mouth! Svankmajer's movie and Gardner's annotated versions are a must for anyone interested in Alice's adventures.

All in all, it's kind of appropriate that we, fascinated as we are by photographing idealised beauty objects, are also fascinated by Alice.

I think we're covered why the pop culture image of Alice is so iconic, but why was that image so appealing in the first place? I just realised AIW could be seen as a variation on a common fairytale motif. There are a few examples in Andrew Lang's collection, such as this story, where a girl is pushed down a well, and finds herself, after falling "down, down...it seemed as if the well must reach to the very middle of the earth," in a strange land where various animals and inanimate objects talk to and help her. Of course, in those stories, they're usually about the girl being rewarded for her virtue and sweetness. Carrol may have been influenced by these, and may have been thumbing his nose at them with the Red Queen's admonishing Alice to behave becomingly, and Alice's own thoughts of how she (and the kittens in TTLG) ought to behave, and general failure to do so. Getting all psychoanalytical, traveling through a long, dark tunnel into a fantastical place that doesn't really make any sense at first, and doesn't make any more afterwards, either, is pretty meaningful to all of humanity.

15. Awe, dolls based on Alice would be so cute <3
      Now I must look up pictures. :]

16. I think it could be partly because it's also a popular theme for (human) lolita/cosplay outfits, which seem to translate well into dolls.

17. I like Wonderland, the world itself, and the characters like Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, the Caterpillar. Of course, the rhymes and literature itself. But not Alice. I never thought one way or another about her. So, I don't really understand the fascination at all, except perhaps the lolita angle of it, and how she's cute. Well, maybe the idea of innocence seduced by madness, how many ways it can play out, adult and juvenile, Goth and whatnot. Alice seems to symbolize this, and is at the core of these bizarre, sometimes crazy, sometimes serious themes.

But I still don't really get it ^^

18. I would love to get Emmy a Queen of Hearts outfit- I love her! ^^ She's one of my favorite characters ever. Alice herself isn't necessarily a favorite of mine, but the world and story are <3

19. I dressed up my Kid Delf Ani as Alice because Through the Looking Glass is a favourite story of mine, and Disney's Alice in Wonderland was a huge part of my childhood. It's timeless, it's iconic, and it's just plain classic.

I love Alice.

20. Funny you ask this, because Alice in Wonderland is the inspiration for my future dolls. Arisa, who will be arriving soon, is the reincarnation of Alice. Two other dolls will be joining her in the future as the white rabbit and chesire cat.

Except, I've always been intrigued by the darker form of Alice.