1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

All done! Now what?

Jan 12, 2013

1. Well once I hit that point, I think I'll just find other accessories to buy for my dolls such as furniture, instruments, various objects. There is never an end! :D

2. Clothes, clothes and more clothes.

3. I thought I hit that point once. It lasted maybe... 2 days.

4. Time to keep looking at them, though I am pretty sure you can never actually have too much clothing for them. I imagine I'll just spend the money that went towards dolls and faceups towards more clothes or one of my other collections.

5. I laughed out loud at this response :lol:

I think my collection will never be "complete" because there will always be something new that will pull at my heartstrings. And, honestly? Even if I only ever buy my dolls clothes and shoes and wigs I would be so incredibly happy. To me, enjoying my current dolls and transforming me is what the hobby is all about, so I could never be "finished", not unless I were to leave the hobby. That said, if I left the hobby, it would be to collect another kind of doll, I think, and even then I would play with the existing ones.

6. I... uh... can't imagine not wanting more.

I will never be finished as long as I am in this hobby. The day I stop wanting new dolls will be the day I realize I am no longer interested in BJDs.

Once any doll in my collection is truly completely finished, they become a "shelf-sitter" and are rarely touched again.

7. Once my collection is complete I'll probably jump back on Etsy and see if there's anything new. For me a doll can never have too many outfits...or wigs...or eyes...

8. Oh, there will always be faceups to work on, new body blushing to do, sets to build, furniture to acquire, photos to take, new outfits to buy. I'm almost at full capacity but I have a laundry list of things I want/need to do with my collection. Plus, as others before me have said, the bjd market is always changing. I've bought a lot of new bodies this year so I could 'upgrade' old characters. You're never truly done unless you lose interest in the hobby completely.

9. There will always be new outfits and costumes to sew, room-sets to gather the stuff for and make and, of course, I'll have all those dolls and their things to play with.

Teddy

10. I'm beginning to hit the point of not-so-many new dolls, and just getting bodies for heads and the like. But now I'm having more time to redo old face-ups, consider my collection more carefully--I really hate some of the default bodies I've got, so it's beginning to be upgrade time. Better yet, I have the time and space to start building some massive set pieces for my dolls, and that is gratifying.

Plus there's always more knitting and sewing and just playing to be done...

11. I was collecting dolls from 2006 where I got my first doll and until 2012. At this time I collected all the dolls I wanted, I was proud and happy with my collection and I often took pictures of them, considered buying new clothes and so on, yet one day I just felt like I couldn't get more out of it and it slowly died down. I even went so far as to sell some of my dolls and all the luts bodies were almost instantly gone.

This emotion lasted for years. It is now four years since then and I suddenly woke up one night dreaming about how my dolls still weren't complete. In all the time I have been living as an author and the dolls suddenly came to life anew. they had changed their original characters, everything changed and now, although I have the dolls, albeit some of them are only heads, I feel like I am starting all over. the energy is back, the love of the dolls have returned and the severe regret of selling the ones I sold have arrived.

I think what I am trying to say is that although you feel like you are finished you can always consider redoing it all, start all over. perhaps you should take a short break and then come back to it when you feel the calling. I don't think I will ever completely be done with my dolls

12. This Christmas, I think I will be at that point. I am really happy about that, because buying more and more dolls is not the main point for me. Ideas what to do with my existing crew are available in heaps, surely for the rest of my life. I want to make a diorama for them, as there are two SD-horses, maybe a knightly Tjost (that means a second suit of armor, of course)? Then I want to do several outfits for them (it is very uncomfortable wearing your superhero outfit all day). And of course many, many props (though I am always happy to get something ready-made).
      And I really want to learn proper photography! Everyone who follows my threads knows the majority of my pics are quickly taken indoors in the kitchen to show progress of some kind. Not really what I want in the end, but there is always room to improve, right?

13. The thought of being done with my bjds has not crossed my mind, but logically I know I will reach a point where a different hobby will become much more prominent in my life.

For now, I really enjoy my dolls even if I can't spend much time with them due to work and other obligations. I have at least 4 heads that need a faceup, certain clothes and shoes I want for my dolls to complete their looks and personality, dioramas and props to build, certain dolls I want to own, and clothes I want to learn to sew.

I want to do so much concerning my dolls, but I have such little time at the moment.

14. I am feeling pretty complete though I still like to window shop. It's all pretty much clothes, shoes, accessories, and wigs. I move my dolls around, set up dioramas and I change their clothes. I don't photograph as much as I used to however.

15. I'm pretty much out of space for new dolls, so that phase of acquisition for my collection is finally coming to a real estate-dictated end. That doesn't mean I'm out of the shopping game, though. I'm just changing focus. I don't think I'll ever have too many outfits, shoes or bits of interesting jewelry and kit for these guys. :lol:

16. I really thought I was done. I had all the dolls I wanted... But a couple recent releases changed this. Both are on my wish list, more actually a dream list, as they are dolls I was hoping would be made. I feel kind of odd as I now have two unexpected dolls on order, when I was looking forward to stopping collecting. I'm thrilled, but, still I do want to be finished, lol.

17. Every time I think I'm done, something happens and everything changes. haha

Usually, I think I'm done, but then a new character pops into my head that I want to shell, or an old doll no longer interests me and I sell them. Sometimes I find a doll that fits my OC better than the one I own, so I reshell them. Sometimes, I lose an RP partner and feel my characters can't continue their story, or I'm not interested in trying to fix them and move on, so I sell those crew members and start new ones.

But! IF the day ever actually does come where I'm 100% happy with my crew and seriously not interested in any other dolls, no more reshelling, no upgrading, no more dolls having babies--then I'll focus on spoiling them all with props, clothes, shoes, accessories, various wigs, the best eyes. Just making every single one perfect. Even if I get the dolls exactly like I want, they can always use more clothes and accessories, so I don't think it's even possible for me to hit a point where I feel there is absolutely not a single thing left to do with them.

18. I keep telling myself: "when this doll is complete," or, "when I'm finished the faceup and mod," "I'll do this," but I'm beginning to realize that I may never be completely done. I'm always learning new techniques, or wanting to tweak my doll's faceup/mods (the doll I refer to as "Hermes" is an example of this).

I guess I should have realized this because I do this with my other art hobbies (Pullips, action figures). When I "finished" with them (got them temporarily complete), I moved on to clothes.

Oh well. I guess I'll never be done--I still want to try other things too: photography or digital illustrations of the dolls, continuing with their stories, etc. We'll see.

It's all an adventure, either way, whether I truly complete them or not.

19. I've collecting dolls so to speak since I was around 11.... I'm 46 now & im still going strong. I have bought & sold so many times it's not funny. If I think I'm done with buying dolls, I'll move myself to buy clothes, shoes, wigs, etc to props as well to give my dolls a better life to live!!

20. What I forgot to include in my initial response is that my dolls are more of an accumulation than a collection so there my never be a point where I'm done - I've been accumulating dolls of all sorts since childhood so why would I stop....?

Teddy

#40 Teddy, Aug 26, 2016
      Last edited: Jan 30, 2017