1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Angel Of Dream (AoD) 60cm Discussion - Part 2

Jan 20, 2015

1. I haven't yet brought up the pic on a much larger screen, but in comparison, I believe the bust piece is shaped differently where it meets the upper belly on the pregnancy body than the standard 58cm female body. I'm really, really curious if the pregnancy body is showing ribs, which I hope it does not. That would look really, really unhealthy to me and make me feel bad about the doll. This is purely personal preference, but, too many ribs showing reminds me too much of some of my more sickly patients. I like dolls because they never get sick or die. I also believe in profile pics, the breast shape is different where the pregnancy bust has a realistic slope from chest to nipple line.

With nearly all girl dolls, they remind me how I had such a hard time with girl dolls since I had brown hair and eyes. My little brother was blond, blue-eyed and had dimples I had several little boy dolls that reminded me of him, even as a kid, and not a single one as a little girl that looked like me. (Now I have my Francie which is a little version of me!) Hence, I have a hard time liking girl dolls but I think the smiling face helps a whole lot. Not only that, but to me, nothing is more feminine for a female body than the beauty and magic that only RL females can experience which is making new life. It's especially magical to see it on a bjd that is totes affordable. I think I just talked myself into saving for her for sure... lol.

I'm going to get about half of her listed price saved, and then ask Alice's Collections or try the AoD English site about the body having other bust options and about the exposed ribs.

Heh, the hansom men I have are all single, kinda.... Jeremy, in character, is contemplating trying out a blow-up doll pseudo-girlfriend... My Jasper doesn't really date but has several lady friends that he occasionally enjoys, but isn't interested in having a girlfriend. Joshua is so focused on school and a career he hasn't a clue how he could give a lady any significant amount of time. Martin is just a head, but I'd love to have a certain other artist made head to be his gf. I don't know if I'm going to try to get both the heads and then bodies or just keep him as a head. Either way, since I've my heart stuck on him being part of a couple with this one particular head I've yet to get, and him just being a head, he's not a huge priority. My other 60cm girl is a HS Junior and is so focused on current and future academics leading to her dream career, she seldom even notices guys. I think she'd prefer being married to her job....

Hum, she might even be the kids' teacher! I figure preggie lady might get a husband doll in the future (I've not a chance to save a penny yet for her), but, maybe her man is on active duty and is currently deployed overseas.... heh, maybe his name is Joe.... lol. That would certainly buy me loads of time to get her and a cool story to have until I could find the right doll man for her. I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself here. lol

2. I don't know if AoD is able to be as accommodating but I'm sure someone asked Resinsoul for a less muscley version of one of their bodies and they obliged. Maybe AoD could sand out the ribs if present. I carry my weight on my lower half so it does bug me that if I do lose a little it's off my top half. I don't want to be able to see my ribs, especially not when I'd rather see less thigh! So many doll bosoms look a bit false and stuck on so I do like that AoD's small bust is quite natural, tho I still need to sand the nipples down!

That's so sad that you weren't able to enjoy girl dolls when you were younger. I think I was more into My Little Ponies so the fact my Barbies all had long blonde hair never really bothered me. I had short brown hair as a kid, long brown hair right now, and blue eyes. I think it's awesome when people have dolls that are mini versions of themselves but I've never been tempted down that road myself. Although I have been drawn towards dolls sharing my first name but not to the point of buying one yet! Hopefully the versatility of BJDs mean that you can make dolls looking however you want now.

Hmm, I'm not sure any of your handsome men are ready to be dads just yet! I do like the idea of her husband being overseas though. That way his absence, and if you do decide to order him, the anticipation of his return tie in nicely with real life. And if Hui Xiang is gonna be a teacher, she'll be the one all the kids love and they should feel upset she'll be leaving them for maternity but her enthusiasm for the baby is so infectious they're just as excited about the new arrival as she is.

Getting too far ahead of yourself is part of the fun! Although I did find a note where I'd paired a character who I don't have the doll for yet, with another character I didn't even realise I'd planned to shell. I don't know if I had a sculpt in mind at the time or if I'm just keeping the possibility open!

3. Hi

How about the joints, are they easy posable and not so "kicky"?

Thanks!

4. His elbow joint is kinda kicky. It likes to stay straight. This is because of the desig, not because of stringing. And he can't bend forwards and backwards well. Other than that, it's fine.

5. thank you for that information, mine will come this week already... Ive ordered a 58cm girl body in giant bust.

6. I'm trying to buy clothes for my aod boy doll, and his measurements are CONFUSING. His girth is that of "uncle" bjds, but his height is thay of "sd13". Buying tops is easy; I just choose one size larger than sd13. But buying his pants is a nightmare! If I chose one size larger, it will be too long for him. If I chose the sd13 size, I'm afraid his butt will not fit through. Any advice??

7. i can test which stuff can fit him :3 i normally sew myself but i have some company pants at home aswell

8. That would be great! Especially if you have sd13 sized clothes. I do believe it will be too tight. But I would appreciate it if you tried.

9. Welp, I purchased a good number of clothes for him from Taobao. We'll see how it goes. Oh, btw, my Winter is also purchased through Taobao. He was much cheaper that way.

10. So, it took me long enough but Hui Xiang on the pregnant body is now ordered! I'm very excited. I picked out 2 simple white dresses and a lingerie set that should show off her tummy. I hope they fit, I don't want her sitting around naked. I'm hoping some wigs I bought from my friend would work for her. I'm not sure that 16mm eyes are really the right size for her or not, that seem very large to me but I'm just going at what I see in the photos. I'm thinking more along the lines of 14mm with a small iris might work best but I will wait and see.

I'm terrible about getting things ready for new dolls but I don't want to keep her waiting. It's close enough to faceup season that I didn't order a faceup for her. I'll do it myself and that means getting out to the campus art supply store to pick out some pink pastels. I now will have 3 female bjds so it's time to have some good pastels for them. My tiny is probably okay, but I really need to do some work on both of my big girls and have them swim-suit ready!

11. @mollym Yay! I hope you can post some pics when she arrives :) It did make me laugh that you said you didn't want her to be kept waiting - it's always the other way around for me it seems! I think my Hui Xiang actually came with 18mm eyes - her eyes look smaller because she's sort of squinting but they're quite long from corner to corner. I modded mine's eyes smaller but I am still struggling to blend in the white Milliput (I tried tinting it but it spat whatever I tried mixing into it out!) that I used. Here's a before and after shot with her and Impldoll Iris who has a wide-eyed look (but still only takes a 14mm)

[​IMG]AoD Hui Xiang Nose Job by Rubydoll Chaos, on Flickr

I think the eyes in the link below are 14mm and with her unmodded eyeholes there's some gapping.

Angel of Dream Hui Xiang First (ugh) Faceup

Have fun giving her a faceup! My attempts have been...admittedly not great...! But that's more because I've tried new things with her rather than sticking to a method and generally they have not been successful!

12. @rubydoll Oh, wow! Thanks so much for the photos. I'm glad to see her profile finally and it helps a lot to see her without her teeth piece as well. I have a strong feeling I'm going to be ordering some customs for her eyes. No idea what color, that will probably depend on whatever wig she claims. This girl scores 2 big points for me with her smiling face and unique body. The baby inside is a huge bonus and it will be fun to try to do that little one up as well. I ordered in time to get an event kitty from Alice's..... so I might as well just glue the respirator on my face when the package arrives, lol. This is only the 3rd doll I've ever had made just for me. The majority of my collection is second hand or from trades. Not that I love any of the others less, but it's a bit extra special that she's made just for me since I've never once thought to give up any of those. I think I bonded to her even before ordering just like my other 2!

I just acquired an airbrush recently, so she will probably become an unwilling victim to my experiments with paint. :evilplot: :mwahaha

13. @mollym It is kinda frustrating that profile pics are so hard to track down! I got quite used to her gummy smile when she hadn't got her tooth piece in - it is so convenient that you can take it out - although I haven't got the balance between dazzling white and doesn't own a toothbrush right yet. I haven't really settled on an eye colour for her yet but I think she will be keeping the auburn wig I bought for another doll only to decide the colour didn't suit him. Her sockets can be a bit odd so custom eyes may be just what she needs. Yay for the kitty! They're really cute and quite tempting but I do already have the deer and I've only just (sort of) completed his blushing. Good luck with the airbrush! That's something I want to have a go with someday. It's funny - there is something special about having a doll made especially for you but I also feel a strong bond with my second hand dolls. Like I rescued them and they have their forever home here. It's like puppy vs rescue dog to me!

14. I might be really dumb for not taking care of this sooner. I got my AoD boy months ago in January. He had a very strong resin smell when I got him. I thought it was resin fume, so I figured it would go away in a bit. But noooooo I still smelled a very strong resin smell after months! Today I finally unstrug him and checked the inside of his body. Lo and behold! IT WAS COVERED IN RESIN DUST. So I begin to fear. Have I beem inhaling resin dust all this time? Mind you, he sat on a corner of my bed every night right next to my nose. And I could smell his resin smell. So am I screwed? Has anyone heard of someone who seriously got sick due to resin dust? I have sanded some resin before without a mask. I know it was dumb to do, but as long as I don't do it too often I figured it wouldn't really matter....ANYWAYS. My gosh check the insides of your AoD doll and please tell me I'll be ok? Ha. Thank you.

15. @cherryquf I have two AOD dolls and I bought both around 2010. I've restrung them since then but have never had resin dust in mine. My two dolls also never had a strong resin smell. But that was talking quite a number of years ago. Maybe their quality control has dropped somewhat?

16. I'm not sure. But the resin dust was bad enough that when I ran my finger across the inside chest, it was covered white in resin dust :o

I'm having respiratory problems. I hope it's not from the doll, but it's not a bad idea to give new dolls a bath.

[​IMG]
      And a photo! I love it when dolls can sit criss cross. :dance

17. @rubydoll You are absolutely right! I really wish doll companies would do blank front, profile and back shots of all their heads and the different bodies as well. Even for the lucky ones that have a local meetup group or can make the trip to a convention, it's often difficult to know exactly what a doll looks like before buying. It's so appreciated when us collectors help each other like this!

I'm currently thinking to order customs from Captured in Glass. I've had great luck with them before. Of course, I will need to have her in hand to determine what size and all the details of the eyes I would want for her. I tend to use a lot of brown and green eyes in my dolls.

With the teeth.... do you have a color called titanium white? That color might work best for teeth.

@cherryquf Thanks for the heads up about the resin dust. Since reading your post I will be sure to give my new doll a good rinse! That might be a good plan of action for any new resin dolls coming into the home from now on. I'm sorry that happened to you and that you have been having some respiratory issues. I hope that clears out very soon!

Your boy is adorable! I love his striped pajamas. Did you make those for him?

18. @cherryquf that's concerning. I hope they're not having someone string the dolls while they're full of dust without a facemask as well as sending them off to customers with it still in there. Hopefully it was a one off - not that that is much comfort to you. I hope your breathing problems are getting better. Your boy is so adorable in his PJs. And he does look really natural sitting cross-legged - some dolls can do it but it looks odd and awkward but he looks so cute!

@mollym yeah, I've never been to a meet or a convention - I had seen a bjd briefly before getting one but I didn't get up close and personal. And come on, if you have put a lot of work into sculpting an interesting nose, show it off! I have a couple of Captured in Glass eyes but I haven't ordered custom before. I usually try different eyes in my new heads to see what will suit - then quite often end up ordering more! I love brown eyes in people but a lot of my dolls have blue or green eyes. I think I used gouache the first time I did the teeth, then possibly watercolour...my acrylic ink just claims to be white but my white paint is titanium. I think my problem may be that I'm not thinning the paint enough so it sort of blends over the grooves between her teeth giving her a novelty dentures effect. I thought teeth would be easy, but like fingernails (no, you can't just paint them pink unless you want them to look like nail varnish!) they're trickier than expected!

19. @rubydoll I will have to get my girl and experiment before I can say for sure... but.... titanium white is the closest color I can think to healthy teeth. Maybe a bit of grey between???? Acrylics can always be thinned a bit with distilled water. The in-between teeth might need a shade of grey or something... not sure. As I recall, with a paler skin tone and pinkish lips, then maybe a teeny hint of blue with the white will work where as if there is a darker skin tone and redder lips, then the teeth would need a teeny bit of yellow ocher color. I am going to research that. I usually reference portrait making to determine how to do something with a doll. I never go for being too realistic with my dolls. I still want them to look very dolly, but more realistic than cartoonish if that makes sense. I've never mottled their skin or painted in veins.... but it is tempting to give it a shot at some point.

20. As much as I hate to double-post, I'm doing it. My doll came in today!
      Here is a sneak peek of her! This is the link to the album I made for her.
      [​IMG]Untitled by Molly M, on Flickr

Here is the baby, which is really more fetus size. Baby's head is held on with a magnet!
      [​IMG]Untitled by Molly M, on Flickr

I found some brown eyeco eyes in the stash for her, and a brown Monique wig from my stash. I hope they will work for the long-term. I really like her! Her hands and feet are adorable as is her smile and tummy! She's still blank, but as soon as I am ready, you all can expect some photo spam! No promises that she's going to look very nice for awhile as my female faceups are really not on point yet. Practice makes perfect!