1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any dolls based on book characters?

Apr 20, 2018

1. I'm working towards saving up money to get my Mystic Kids Francis his faceup to make him a book-accurate doll version of Edward Hyde at the moment, I'm looking into getting a tan skinned Merry Doll Round Fang or some similar sculpt in order to have her as Lady Silence from The Terror, and i've been planning for a few years to get a Doll Zone Raymond to be Sharon from Library of Souls.

Is there anyone else in the community that also either has or is planning to get dolls in order to base them off your favorite book characters? I'd love to meet your dollies!

2. I have an IoS Cho head on the way that I'm planning to base off Rin Okumura from the manga Ao no Exorcist. Sculpt is just too perfect not to.

3. That sculpt truly is perfect! I look forward to seeing him!

4. Don't know if that counts but I'm turning quite a few dolls into Wonderland characters. Not from the original Alice and Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass books, though - they're based on my interpretations of those Wonderland characters, from a fanfiction of mine. I guess technically they're still book characters - but they're different from the originals. (Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum, for example - their real names are Emma and Pip - are ghost twins and they usually accompany Black Alice who's kind of the "angel of death" of Wonderland ...)

5. I just have to say I love the sound of this. I've had a few alt Wonderland characters and rps for years and as big of a fan as I am of the original concept I've always loved seeing different ways the characters can be changed up.

6. I didnt have any ideas till I read the thread tittle. Now I want to make Kylar from the Night Angel trilogy. Probably won't be for a very long time though.

7. I don't have any doll inspired by book characters, but if I were to get any, I'd love to work on an Elric of Melniboné doll, some Silmarillion dolls (Feanorians! <3 ) and possibly a few dolls inspired by Holly Black's Modern Faerie Tales series? :D So many possibilities! *____*

...However, due to the lack of space in my room, I'm planning to stick mostly to my own OCs when it comes to bjds, so I don't know if any of those plans will ever become a reality ;___;

8. That's a really cool idea! I'm always up for some Alice in Wonderland. We read the original novel in my Victorian Literature seminar this semester, so I'm excited to see how your dollies turn out!

:D oh the Silmarillion dolls would be fantastic! You could put so much detail into their costumes <3
      I hope that you get more space eventually so you can do it!

#8 Polardiepie, Apr 20, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
    9. My brother has published a few books and I have one character from his shelled (although not completed) and a second character I need to get a body for since I have the head. If you count Grimm's Fairy Tales as a book, I have Rose Red. And two characters I play that are based on characters: Mina Harker (yes THAT Mina Harker, more based in the 90s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen than Dracula) and Athena from Greek myth.

10. I have a lot of BJDs inspired by BL novels written by my friends - Bazikotek&Dark Markiel
      And I have one based on anime "Free!" - Rin Matsuoka (IOS CHO) :3

[​IMG]

11. Thats really cool! I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! That's awesome that you play Mina.

This is a PERFECT Rin! I'm genuinely impressed! Did you make his clothes or buy them?

#11 Polardiepie, Apr 21, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
    12. The doll I'm currently working on is going to be Alia Atreides from the Dune series by Frank Herbert. I actually prefer to imagine a version of Dune where Alia is the main character, because it's a fascinating universe but a really deeply misogynistic one, and badly needs a feminist reinterpretation!

13. Its not really a book character, but it's a comic book one. I want to find a sculpt for Jason Todd as the Red Hood from the Batman Comics.

14. I'm getting a Souldoll Lester and Sean shelled as Nadir Khoury and Ameer Darwish from the dystopian gayrotic novel "Concrete Monsters".
      [​IMG]

15. I don't know if you know this already but a Tokyo Ghoul Ken Kaneki doll was sold for a limited time. Also Grell Sutcliffe, Ciel Phantomhive and Sebastian Michaelis from Black Butler! I tragically do not have any of them but if I did own a character based doll, they would be it!

16. The closest I have to dolls based off book characters are actually my first two girls, modeled off a Korean fairy tale. The little sister is my icon.

17. That's really interesting! I need to know, what's the fairytale?

18. I completely agree with you on that one! Alia is a better main character for sure :lol: I look forward to seeing her!

That would be super cool! For a time I considered getting a doll to base on Nightcrawler from the XMen comics. Someone on Tumblr had an altered and specially dyed boy that was to die for. The only problem was how expensive the resin color would be! I've since given up on the idea and am quite content looking at the photos of the doll that already exists.

#18 Polardiepie, Apr 24, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
    19. I have my own interpretation of Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz series. The movie Dorothy and the illustrations from the books are so different, so I picked the best from both for my Dorothy. I’ve tried to make characters before and they have always failed. My own version has worked this time!

20. I'd love to see her! Do you have any pictures? I always adored the Wizard of Oz growing up. If more companies had green resin, I would consider making a Wicked Witch!