1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any dolls you LOVE but don't see yourself ever buying?

Jul 16, 2020

1. I don't mean your hard to obtain grails either! Do you ever see a doll you just love the design of, but for whatever reason just don't see yourself ever buying for yourself? Like maybe you like them but their style wouldn't fit in your collection, too many small fantasy parts for you, etc.

I for one love Dollshe Bernard but the thing holding me back is 70 cm is just a whole lot of doll I don't think I'd have room for! I've decided to stop collecting SD-sized dolls in general [barring getting some heads bodies eventually] simply because they're too big for me personally. But that doesn't stop me from loving to look at them all the same! <3

What dolls do you adore but don't think you'll ever buy? What holds you back?

[Reminder this is not a thread to say which designs you dislike/to bash certain doll designs. Its designs you love but for whatever reason are happy to simply admire and not own.] :)

2. I love most of what Soom makes, and anything by LoongSoul.
      There are so many dolls I think are gorgeous, but I don't know that I'd really have a place for them. Anything bigger than MSD is pretty much a hard pass for me, no matter how lovely they are. I have to enjoy other people's pictures of theirs. :)

3. Absoultely! There's a whole ton of dolls out there I love the look of but i'm happy just to admire, I don't feel I need to own them. Shelling OC characters comes first for me so I tend to buy dolls that fit the character rather then dolls I like the look of. However I have succumbed to the sheer pretty of some dolls and ended up buying them just for the dolls sake, which wasn't my original plan when I started out with the hobby :XD:

But yes, money and space limitations is a big factor and i've found out that SD+ dolls are too big and heavy for me. A lot of the dolls I love the look of tend to be in that size (looking at you Ringdoll and Loogsoul!) so I have to be content at enjoying looking at the promo pictures. And there are some dolls I think have a cool aesthetic but not something I would go for with my own dolls, for example I really like Miracle Doll's monster rabbit and cat designs but don't feel I actually need them in my collection.

But it's fine, I don't have to own every single doll I love the look of and I think being forced to be choosy can help by focusing my interest on the dolls that really wow me :)

4. Fairyland full sets. Beautiful, but somehow my desires for reaaally wanting a doll has petered out now that I'm waiting on the shipment of my OG grail, mermaid form of greater snow.

5. I have something of the opposite problem...I adore big dolls, so I'm doing my best to ignore the fabulous influx of fashion size dolls. Hehe. I especially love the willowy, elongated girls like Echo Town or Serenade Doll. :chocoheart

It's just that at this point in the hobby for me (over 10 years in) I've worked hard to collect clothes, props, shoes, and wigs that suit SDs. But neither do I have the space or resources to start a whole new area of collection aesthetically speaking. So, those small or in-between sized beauties get admired from afar.

6. Dumb enough, I love a lot of SOOM boys sculpts...but I feel like they will never look at aesthetic or sexy being owned by me. LOL I see so many other owners make them look so gorgeous and I'm like, "HOW???"

7. big dolls. i think i will stay at tiny sized dolls but i love the amazing dresses available for large dolls as well as wigs. But i am content to look at them from a far and admire.

8. Fashion-size sculpts! They're all amazing works of art, but I don't care for that size range in general. My collection is either teeny tiny or ginormous, no in between apparently. :lol:

9. I'm in the same boat as Anriko; I collect YoSD and SD. My tinies are mostly the children of my SD and the size looks good. I have a couple MSD leftover from when I was first collecting who just look strange in comparison because of how mature their bodies are even though they're super small next to an SD. So I don't have a desire for more MSD at this time. Doesn't stop me from finding ones I love whom I wish were in SD scale. :sweat

10. I only collect 1/3 and 70cm dolls, so anything smaller is out, even if I really like it. In particular, Tamikan Space Hybrid is one I love but will probably never own. She's beautiful and I adore her, but her size and her fantasy aesthetic just does not fit with my crew at all, and I tend to lose interest easily in dolls that don't fit with my modern human story lines. She's one that I feel like if someone gifted her to me, I'd be happy to have her, but I don't think I'd ever outright buy her for myself.

11. I won't own anything super realistic. I love looking at pictures of ultra realistic dolls like Pasha or Popovy. But over the years I've discovered that in person I prefer more stylized ( old CP is my fave) and I can not really get interested in them. I never know how to style or pose them, or what their story is. Even iplehouse and Dollshe are too realistic for me. My personal dolls have to have bigger eyes and more exaggerated proportions.

#11 whooganana, Jul 17, 2020
      Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    12. Same with me! I bought an Amber yeeeears ago and the first photo I took of him just crushed me. I ended up selling him soon after for financial reasons, but I’ve also never tried again.

13. For me anything bigger than 45 cm. I just don't think I can handle big dolls. Even so I love so many big sculpts. Maskcat's Yael comes to mind. I absolutely adore her but she's almost 60cm. I can be happy just looking at pictures of her.

14. Many high end fashion dolls such as Popovy, Pasha, Loseva etc. They are in non standard sizes, so I would have trouble buying shoes and other accessories, and even if, then the prices of the accessories are imo exagerrated when considering their quality.

That being said, the dolls themselves are awesome - their detailed sculpting, engineering, dramatic face expressions and the overall quality - undoubtedly, they're pure art. For now, I'm enjoying big resin girls and tiny plastic and it's enough for me ;)

15. 1/3 and 1/6 sized dolls! They are really tempting and I love many sculpts but the moment I start thinking about having to rebuy all the things I need for the doll....

16. I’ve always been interested in dollmore’s trinity doll line, however I don’t think I could own one due to how massive they are :XD:

17. Probably Iplehouse and Ringdoll. I love all of them, but I don't see myself owning them. Mostly because of price and space, but also because they're just so beautiful I don't think I could do them justice. Ringdoll especially with their character based dolls. Knowing me, the doll would be renamed, new faceup, new clothes and the original doll would be left by the wayside. But I love and appreciate those characters so much that I don't trust myself to get one. Oh well. Love from afar!

18. There's a lot of dolls with really interesting aesthetics that I enjoy occasionally looking at, but wouldn't necessarily want to own. Quite a few Doll Chateau dolls go into that category, and some others like Dollzone Carter. I love his toothy mouth and it's great to see pictures of what other people do with him, but I wouldn't know what I'd want to do with him myself.

I do own a Loongsoul doll, but I still feel the same as some others about a lot of their fullset dolls (and some others such as Ringdoll). They feel like complete works of art on their own, so they'd just end up being collectibles sitting on the shelves unchanging rather than dolls that inspire me to do things with them. (There's nothing wrong with that mode of collecting, but it's not what I want to get out of the hobby)

19. Anything smaller than chubby MSD size just doesn't seem to fit into my collection so I prefer to admire them from afar. Especially YOSD sized dolls, they look so cute in photos but in person, they are just too small for my taste and I don't get the same sense of presence I get from an SD sized doll.

20. For me, it’s the Iplehouse dolls in general...love their realism! Certainly their EID boys have always made me drool...especially Luo.:drool But I prefer to personally collect more stylized sculpts like Luts and Volks, so I’ve always just admired them from afar.