1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody NOT want to go to a meet? (Social aspects of the hobby)

Jul 6, 2011

1. I totally wish there were meetings near me. I think that would be the best part of the hobby.

2. I'm not much of a social person at all... I really enjoy being with my friends, but when it comes to large groups of people I've never met, I just feel incredibly uncomfortable. I don't know what to do with myself, and mostly all I can think about is how nice and relaxed I could be if I had just stayed home. XD;
      This sounds terrible... But like I said, I DO love hanging out with my friends. (I'm not a basement dweller, I swear!)

So when there's a meet called up, I really doubt I'll ever attend. I can understand that this would be a great way to meet new people with similar interests~ But I prefer to let that sort of thing happen naturally, instead of forcing myself into a social situation that was 'designed' for people-meeting.
      Now, if a small group of people that I felt comfortable with said to me, "Hey, let's get together for wine and cheese! Oh, and bring your doll if you want~" Then I would be there in a heartbeat. And in that kind of situation, one or two strangers would even be okay, (as long as said strangers shared a mutual friend with me.) That would be the best way for me to meet new people. Not big, unfamiliar groups.

So for me, it's more about comfort and close friends, and just chillaxing~ Otherwise I'll sit nicely here on the internet a look at photos of meets, rather than attending. XD

3. I wish someone in my immediate area would host a meet up, because I've never been to one. I don't want to be the organizer, because not having attended one, I don't know what people do there. My biggest fear is of showing up and having someone whisper, "Look, that doll brought her grandmother with her."

4. I would actually love to go to a local meet up like somewhere in Essex. I would be a bit wary of going to London or anywhere big for a meet purely for the fact that I'm kinda scared of taking them with my to crowded places in case they get stolen or broken.
      Other than that, I have no strong feelings about not going to one. It would be nice but not to a big place ^ ^
      Although I am thinking of taking them to London in a few months :L

5. Are you one that hits up (or hosts) BJD meets and conventions? What do you think makes this so appealing?
      I have never been to or hosted a meetup yet. I'm going to my first one next month. :D I'm hoping my ResinSoul Boston Terrier will be in time for it but I'm not holding my breath.
      There are several hobbies and interests in my repertoire. Even though I love making costumes or taking photographs privately, ultimately I love sharing my results with people. With stuff like historical costume it is going to reenactments or balls. With BJDs I can share my photographs via the web but I'd like for people to see my work too.
      I'm going to the meetup for several reasons: I really need to practice German, I want to see other people's dolls and see the possibilities, and it is always best to spend time with people you have something in common with.

Or do you prefer to keep more to yourself and enjoy your dolls without company? Is it due to shyness or feeling as though you don't feel fully apart of the group, or is it due to your overall personality in all facets of life?
      Like I said there is a part of me that likes to stay really private. :apirate: Get it? Private pirate... hehehe. Anyways I enjoy doing my craft in the comfort of my home. On the few occasions that I have to take a sewing project to work I always feel awkward when people come over and "Oooh Aaah" at what I do. I am proud of my work and I try to make the best product (whatever that may be). Still, it doesn't make it any easier when people come over and compliment me. In these cases I just try to smile and say thanks and keep working.

6. Or do you prefer to keep more to yourself and enjoy your dolls without company? Is it due to shyness or feeling as though you don't feel fully apart of the group, or is it due to your overall personality in all facets of life?

I prefer enjoying my dolls by my own -though with my sister, which is always there- because I don't really enjoy social meetings. It probably has a lot to do with my own personality, but also with the hobby mood in general. The atmosphere, you know. I don't think I'm the kind of owner which enjoys the same things other owners do -I don't like going to a meeting and taking pictures of dolls I don't even know or from owners I've never met before and so on.

7. Started this hobby all alone. Does not even know DoA exists till mid last year. An invite to a private meet by a local face-up artist started the ball rolling. I remembered being all nervous but the thought of seeing more dolls IRL pushed me in the right direction. One meet led to another and now I found a few fellow collectors I can fangirl with. Whenever we see a new doll, we msn or text each other. This fangirling part really makes the hobby much more enjoyable and makes it so much more fun than to talk to my non-BJD friends who clearly have no interest but are just trying to humour me. A couple of us even arranged to attend Hong Kong Dollism together this weekend.

Im glad I mustered enough courage to attend my first meet and met some fellow collectors whom I can fangirl with. It does make this hobby much more enjoyable. Granted that one may feel shy and awkward at a meet but generally, most collectors are really nice people... or at least the people I have met so far. XD

8. I like going to meets, but l'm very shy and always the youngest one there, so I usually just end up sitting there looking around... >_<

9. I'm an interesting one. People who know me introduce me as 'the jerky one'. I have a wickedly sadistic sense of humor, but I mock myself as much as (if not more than) I mock others and I never mean anything by it. (If I don't like someone, I won't bother talking to them.) This has earnt me somewhat of a reputation amongst my friendship group.

However, once people get over my causticity (It's a word, I just made it up.) they work out that I'm pretty fiercely loyal, will give excellent advice and will not betray anyone's confidence, which is why I think people put up with the horribleness. I may not put up with stupidity, but I'm a good friend.

A lot of the people I've met at conventions and meets have been rather shocked at what I am. Some of my close friends have told me that 'at first, I thought you hated me, then I realised it's how you treat everyone.' My personality doesn't stop me from going to conventions, but it has caused people to dislike me at times. I understand I'm not for everyone, but I'm not going to stop myself from being social and having fun because I might upset one or two people. I love meets and conventions, and I've met some of my closest friends through them.

So, the long and short of it is - I go to conventions and meets to meet people and have fun. I'm sociable in my own special way. Also, if I ever insult you, don't take it personally - it means I like you! ^_^

10. I'm IMMENSELY nervous about a BJD Meet/Con.

I've been to other types of Conventions,
      I would feel Out-of-place and awkward at a BJD Meet.

It may have something to do with that I'm a Furrie and Usually someone has
      nothing good to say about it. So In me just wanting to go to the Con,
      I then get stuck with the people taunting me, more than having Fun.

But with all those people aside, I wouldn't know how to go about consulting
      someone into Photos!

Regardless, I would still love to go to one,
      With all my concerns and worries Aside.

11. I discovered BJD through some friends, but they don't live near home so I I was really happy to see on a French forum that I will be able to easily meet other BJD and their owners for a tea party or something light-hearted likethis.
      And I would like to go to the LDoll 2 festival in Lyon this autumn but I'm sure my husband will agree (but as we have friends in Lyon...^^)
      It's really easy to enjoy a hobby alone, but it's more fun with other people, and even if sometimes the very idea to get out is wearing or a little chilling, it's good for us ! :)

12. I am an introvert, so I'm not that social of a person anyway, but I've attended a few dolls meets over the years. But, I haven't been to a meet since Christmas last year, because usually after and hour I'm ready to go to home. And sadly, people take it personally that I don't want to hang out afterwards :(

13. Or do you prefer to keep more to yourself and enjoy your dolls without company? Is it due to shyness or feeling as though you don't feel fully apart of the group, or is it due to your overall personality in all facets of life?

I've been to a few meet ups, but I guess they're not really my thing. Ever since I was a child I've always kind of liked to be on my own, never really cared for parties or lots of friends. And like some other people said: just because I meet some random people who like to collect dolls, doesn't mean I have anything in common with them. Of all things, dolls are a pretty minor thing to base a friendship on. I usually choose people to hang out with who have more in common with me than that.

So, in sort, I'm not nervous, I'm not shy. I just don't feel like going to meets most of the time.

14. I *used* to go to meets when i first started, and although i'm shy it was great fun to meet people and see all kinds of different dolls. I went fairly regually for a few years and always had a good time, but now that i think back i think that was mostly down to the fact that i went with lifelong friends rarther than as a total stranger... And i enjoyed seeing other types of doll first hand. It certainly helped me make a few choices when buying my own put it that way! I met some nice people certainly, but not many have become real friends.

The reason i stopped going has nothing to do with me being anti-social or anything (I have some social anxiety issues, so usually getting me talking to new people is a VERY GOOD thing!) and its all to do with the sort of people i want to spend my time with. Nine times out of ten, the local meets are the same five people, with the same five dolls and once that curiosity about other dolls is gone, there really wasnt much else for me to stick around for.
      Like some other people have said, sharing one hobby doesnt mean we have anything in common with anyone else... And thats the situation i ended up in. Sitting in a room with a bunch of (very nice) people disscussing their relationship problems? Thats just not what i was there for, y'know?
      There were a few times when i met people who were really rough and disrespectful with my dolls too. What Lulu said a couple of pages back about other doll owners being the worst for that sort of thing is completely true. I've never had issues with strangers around my dolls, but other doll owners? Theres been a few times that my dolls have come close to being damaged, so i started being more and more reluctant to share.

I havnt been to a meet in a couple of years now, I keep to myself, i post online when i feel like it and i share with my close friends at home. I'm happier that way than i ever was when i was still going and trying to put the effort into being social.
      If that makes me anti social, thats cool. I'd rarther be that than forced into something that just isnt fun.

15. I feel the same way :3

16. This is how it seems to go for me XP Not because I'm young though, because I'm shy and usually I go alone.

Sometimes I feel closed out from the group, literally and figuratively xP. I've been to a meet where everyone sat in a circle and just..didn't bother making room for more. It was rude and irritating so I left xp.

I've been to meets at a large convention where everyone split off into little groups and tables soooo of course I was alone. But I made a later suggestion on a meet up thread to have the tables pushed together and people agreed so yay :D Problem solved!

I think it'd be cool for people to wear name tags or something, or maybe have everyone introduce themselves because I don't personally know a lot of owners I see at meets (like, 98%).

I usually go to con meets which I like :D. The college I'm going to in the fall has a handful of BJD owners surprisingly xP So potential social outings?

I need to be less shy and quiet, that's probably the main reason why I sometimes don't have an enjoyable meet up experience.

17. Are you one that hits up (or hosts) BJD meets and conventions? What do you think makes this so appealing?
      I have never been to a meet, but I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea. I'm a happy homebody and I'm not very social as a general rule. If one happens to occur where I can get to, I'd probably go (all other travel issues aside...). I think the idea of the meet is appealing because you get to be a in a room full of weirdos just like you. You get to see and touch and observe different dolls without having to buy them and hope for the best.

Or do you prefer to keep more to yourself and enjoy your dolls without company? Is it due to shyness or feeling as though you don't feel fully apart of the group, or is it due to your overall personality in all facets of life?
      Eh, it's just how I am. I can be social and entertaining if I want to be, but large crowds exhaust me so I just usually avoid them.

18. It's nice to know that I'm not alone :) I thought I was a little weird cause I kept seeing all these meetups and such when I first got into the hobby and while they seemed interesting, I never wanted to attend any. I just preferred to keep to myself, and do my own thing. Plus, I didn't know of any friends irl who owned dolls too, so I guess I got used to it... the idea of going to a meetup with strangers is a bit daunting for me because I'm not very out-going. It seems like most big, publicized meetups have certain cliques/groups of close friends and I find it awkward to try and break into their circle...and plus I'd feel like a nuisance in doing so... ^^'
      But if I had a buddy with me, then it'd help me to be more social and try to make more friends. Nowadays I just meet up with friends who I know irl and have a very small meet, nothing big or publicly organized yet.
      Not to sound snobby or anything, but I'm not too interested in seeing other people's dolls in my area... I guess it's a good thing because then I wouldn't want more dolls that I can't have...? ><

19. I'm pretty weird myself for things like this.

Alot of people would class me as very anti social, but when in social situations I don;t come across as awkward, I engage in conversation and am not afraid to be myself but I never YEARN for social activities.

I guess it comes with being bi polar (or whatever the hell the Dr's can't decide on) up and down, I could be excited and really looking forward to a meetup, then suddenly, the day comes and I just back out. Part through fear of social situations with people I don't know and part through a general....."meh" attitude towards outside and social things.

Like I say, I can be very weird like that. It takes alot of coaxing from friends or the boyfriend to get me to do stuff sometimes, but then sometimes I'm more than happy to do things.

I went to 2 doll meets, both were at anime conventions. The first one I honestly felt out of place. I had NO IDEA what I should be doing, I find it difficult to start conversation with people and it was around the time when DZ dolls were still viewed with a negative light and I had a DZ Cloud.......I actually did feel like I was being ignored because of that.

The 2nd was again, a convention, it was a panel on caring for your dolls. I sort of participated a little, on the topic of hot glue and suading, I had my SOOM Namu at the time and felt that I was far less ignored because it was a SOOM. I found that one far more fun than the general "go sit in a room and play" ones. Maybe because it actually had activities going on?

Does anyone else get similar feelings though? I mean, I'm very anti social but I'll co to conventions, cosplay, talk with loads of people there, hell I am a cosplay officer for Kitacon (UK anime convention google it if your interested ;) ) where I have to be very involved with random people all the time. Yet I still get that feeling of wanting to just withdraw, regardless of what the event is about.

There is a UK BJD convention coming up where I live, Rosadolls here in Yorkshire. I'm registered to go and I deffinatly WILL go, still scared though, still feel a bit weary about it and feel a bit sad about going on my own!

So yeah, my thing is probablly a fear of being ignored due to what dolls I have with a touch of anti socialness thrown in.

20. I'm probably just like you, I don't really 'fit in' in a group of people, most of the times I don't speak at all.
      It's not that I don't like meeting, I really enjoy taking photographs, if it wasn't for those my dolls would have never left the house.

I'm just very selecting about 'friends', a common question people ask me is 'we've known each other for so much time than why you still don't consider me your friend?' because changing from 'person I know' to 'friend' its not an easy step for me