1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone not into anime, but into BJDs?

Aug 19, 2009

1. I feel the same way. I couldnt care less about anime, manga, "KAWAII DESU DESU"-stuff. Really boring to me. It seems like it goes hand in hand with BJD, but yeah.
      You're not alone (and neither am I now :D)

2. I have no intrest in anime ore manga thoue i like Japanes games and i like to read about there history and fasion but i like history ond fasion in general so... Well thats my thouts on the subjelt.

3. I am interested in some aspects of Japanese culture, but I'm really not interested in modern anime and manga. I have a soft spot for a few series that I grew up with (Sailor Moon and Utena, basically), but I don't follow new releases. Also, Japan isn't the only foreign culture I'm interested in. I don't think you have to be into those things to like ball-jointed dolls. There are so many different styles of sculpting now that you're bound to find something you like even if you hate the designs in anime.

4. I actually am a big "otaku" or anime/manga fan and all that jazz, but I never really connected the two hobbies together. Sure I've read around the forum and there are a lot of anime/manga nerds that love BJD, but there are also a lot of people who aren't interested into anime/manga. This hobby has many different paths, from cosplay to historical, from sweet to gore and etc. So "No" you don't need to be into anime/manga or even Asian culture to enjoy BJDs.

I for one didn't find out about BJDs from anything Asian orientated at all; I was introduced to them through Facebook (yup, I'm not lying). Yes, those ads you see on the side when you're playing your Facebook games, poking a friend or just commenting on a status really do work. Mint on Card's ad just sucked me in when I saw one of their dolls; I went "Ohh, so pretty!" and never looked back.

5. I grew up in a heavily Japanese influenced household. My father speaks very fluent Japanese; taught Japanese to high shcool students, and ran a student exchange program with a high school in Shizuoka. I went to Japan as an exchange student in my father's program when I was a teen. Am I into Anami or Manga? Nope. I love the Japanese culture, history, the country, the people, and the art. I love BJD dolls too. I don't really even remember how I stumbled onto them, but it wasn't through Manga or anything like that. I have a rather large collection of antique traditional Japanese dolls, so I guess it was inevitable that I would eventually find my way into ABJDs.

6. I'm really into Japanese history, and I took a year of Japanese language classes at my school...but I'm not into anime or manga. I came to BJDs because I love dolls.

7. I read some manga nowadays. And there are some anime that I like to watch.
      But I was a huge fan when I was younger. I only ever got the manga and no merchandise, though.
      That I'm interested in BJDs might have something to do with my interest for east Asia itself, though I found a picture of them while actually only searching for a certain style of clothing.
      But I don't really like too big eyes or balloon breasts or stick thin limbs or nonexistant noses and mouths on dolls (yes, I know that this isn't the case with all of the manga/anime and that it also underwent trends and this is just one of them), though I still like the more natural anime and manga style in them.

8. I like Japanese culture, fashion, music and a lot of other things, but I really do not like anime :L I'd much rather watch horror films and good old animated series from America dated around the 80's :D I think the only anime I've ever enjoyed was Salior Moon, purely for the fact that I grew up with it and watched it every morning when I was just a little kid before school ;) ahah!

9. I actually kinda hate anime, the only one I will love is Death Note and sailor moon since she did open my eyes to Japan when I was 9, I own DN manga but thats it, unlike my cousin who collects anything to do with anime, plushies, banners, posters etc. I'm into Japan as a country and culture, history, language, the music, films, tv shows, comedy, fashion and photography

woops! Thought I typed this

EDIT -

I got into BJD through my photography. I saw on deviantart people arguing over 'doll photography' I clicked and then if I could add a gif it would be the one with the mind blowing dude lol

10. When I first saw BJD's, it was in Shojo Beat's 2007 June issue. It said that 'anime and manga fans are leading the trend of BJD ownership in the west'
      I can see how they can go hand in hand, artistically. I plan on using mine to help my art, and their bodies are just perfect for certain styles of anime and manga.

But I can also see how somebody can like one without the other. I know people who think anime is stupid/just cartoons. I'm not going to get into a rant about that, though. I also know people who think that dolls are creepy and childish. These people could overlap, but some of them don't. Some of them hate anime but think the dolls are amazing. Some people love anime but think the dolls are [see above].

11. I'm with lxxo here, I can kinda say I hate anime too. And it really bugs me that people assume I like anime because I like bjds because bjds are asian. :xI love everything else about Asian culture though! Music, fashion, food, traditional culture :fangirl:

12. My whole reason for getting into BJDs was becuase I loved dolls. I've never been interested in anime, I just thought the dolls were so stunning!

13. I think it's great that all kinds of people enjoy BJDs, that's why there are so many different sculpts to appeal to all different kinds of people. You don't have to enjoy anime/manga to appreciate the lovely dolls. Although I am guilty of being a manga addict lol.

14. It was actually anime and manga that got me into drawing and painting when I was in 8th grade. Since then I have appreciated the art style and effort that it takes into making manga and anime but I can't say that I'm still into it.
      I'm in collage now and my intrest in BJD's came from wanting to learn more about human anatomy and expression drawing and panting. (and it helps my growing intrest in sewing.) I actually thought that BJD's where real people at first when I saw the pictures and really wanted to draw them. Later I found out that they where dolls and I was hooked. :)

15. I'm not into Anime either....and not into anything Asian either to be honest, although I do enjoy looking at the Japanese street fashions. I just love dolls and have been into BJDs for about 6 years, prior to that I was into other types of dolls....BJDs for me, were a natural progression.

16. I'm not really into anime or manga. Whenever I try to watch an anime, I usually get bored of it and stop half way through the series. Same with manga... I mean, my brother and friends are very into both, so if I ever really wanted to I could watch some shows with/borrow manga from them, but I don't know. The only thing I've ever finished is Lucky Star, and I barely remember what actually happened in it. :(

17. I have watched some anime, but there have been not many that I've gotten "into." So no, you are not the only one. And it makes me feel so much better to know there are others like me. I don't have an obsession with Japanese culture. They are wonderful people, but I like bjd's because they are beautiful and completely customizable. And being an artist, I can not wait to try my hand at faceups. Now if only I could make up my mind and decide on which doll to buy. I know that's off topic, but it sure would be nice to have someone give me there thoughts on what I'm considering. :)

18. Im not into anime but love BJDs i do wonder why i dont like it but its something i never got in to.

19. I am not into anime at all. I used to collect fashion dolls, now I prefer BJDs

20. I'm probably in the super minority of people here that actually like dollfie dreams and doesn't watch anime.
      :o The last anime series I watched from beginning to end was the first Full Metal Alchemist. When that was over I moved to western cartoons and I haven't really looked back . I love the style of anime drawing I just don't have an interest in sitting down and watching the shows. :sweat