1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone not into anime, but into BJDs?

Aug 19, 2009

1. I am not a fan of an anime culture, though it is quite interesting. I like some full-length animated films of Miyazaki, but I don't watch serials and I don't read manga.
      Nevertheless BJDs really charmed me :love Perhaps, I am rather old for anime-culture :) I think, it is a little teenage.

2. I'm not really into anything Asian except BJD (and Studio Ghibli films). I don't know anything about manga or anime, and I'm pretty sure the only anime I've ever seen is Sakura Card Captor (I don't even know if that really IS anime, that's how little I know about it.)

I absolutely do not believe being into anime, loving Japan and Japanese things, or being into Asian music/culture in general is a prerequisite to enjoying BJD. In fact, I think the majority of people in the BJD hobby might not be Japanophiles. I love my dolls and doll collecting. I don't think my enjoyment of them is diminished at all by not being into other Asian things.

3. I loved it when I was a kid, but that keeps getting longer and longer ago ;)

I'm still pretty interested in Asian festivals and some cultural stuff though, so maybe my inner anime geek lives on in some ways.

4. I am not very interested in anime, my husband looks anime series and movies sometimes, and sometimes I join him, but not that often.

5. There are a few anime's I like, but i've been told they are 'old school' now. (escaflowne, hellsing, berserk, etc) I haven't watched anime in at least 8 years though, and i don't think i've ever owned any manga. It was just never my scene, though I enjoyed trying to draw the style. It's not even really the anime that I don't like though, but usually the people =/ There were too many high pitched squealy girls that glomp people from behind that I just couldn't stand over the years. I nearly punched the last girl that tired to do that to me, heh.

I like BJD's though. I'm much more fond of the realistic ones however, as opposed to the ones with the big anime eyes. *shrug* just personal preference.

6. I'm with the OP. I don't enjoy most other things Asian. I've been exposed through cons (AWA & Megacon), but I'm not into anime or manga or j-pop. Many of my friends are though, so I don't hate it.

7. I used to be really into Anime and Manga... but because my tastes are so... Picky, I don't watch Anime or read Manga much any more. My love of Dolls isn't because I used to be really into Anime... I think they were two separate hobbies to me.

I also don't like the big bubbly eyes.

8. I don't understand how people think that this is impossible. I do like anime, but I didn't discover BJDs through anime. I've been collecting all sorts of dolls since I was a kid, so whether I'd stumbled upon anime or not, I would have probably gotten involved in the hobby, anyway.

9. I'm not really into anime either. I do kind of like Asian casual fashion, but not street or punk styles.

10. I'm not really into anime. I do sometimes watch Rozen Maiden, but not frequently enough to be a fan.i really don't think its weird to be into BJDs but not anime. I mean if you do, it's fine no harm done but they are to completely different. I mean if you do you could always buy anime clothes for them but I don't. And I don't think you have to like anime to like BJDs

11. I haven't been in to Anime/Manga for a long time now. In fact as I was starting to get into BJDs my interest in all of that was waning. I still have a number of items from my Anime phase including an impressive amount of Sailor Moon dolls and several boxes of comics. It just seemed after awhile it go harder and harder to find stories that I liked. One can only watch so many school love stories.

12. My best friend is obsessed so I have seen several animes and read some manga. I'm not a big fan of the comic layout of manga, infact the only manga I liked I had to read summaries on the Internet for most of it as the cartoons with the Asian symbols aren't the easiest to understand. As for anime I really only watch studio ghibli which is movies rather than series, I don't really like the drawing style too much, with the word faces and the complicated collections of symbols for everything. I don't really like the anime style of bjd as much as the more realistic sculpts

13. I'm going to get plenty of hate for this, but I greatly dislike most anime/manga. Some of it I simply can't stand. I quite like One Piece though, and some full length movies. Still, I'm not really into it. I'll take western animation over anime any given day.

This is actually the reason it took me so long to get into BJDs - most of the dolls I had seen were very animesque and I thought they were all like that.

14. Well I didn't know I would mellow out in my college years- but I did. Though I wasn't really as into anime in the first place. I'm more of a video game serious drama llama now I guess. I still love my dolls however, the stories I made have them are ever-changing. They used to be influenced heavily with anime but not so much anymore.

15. I am into anime and manga and also very into BJDs.

16. I don't think it's a prerequisite at all. Most BJDs are from Korea anyway! haha, no, but really many of the dolls I see remind me more of old porcelain dolls that my grandmother used to have. Dolls have a worldwide, historical appeal, and I think that BJDs are included in that appeal as long as you aren't buying the Volks and other dolls that have a frozen anime face >>; I really dislike those dolls and think you'd definitely have to be a fan of anime to really enjoy them.

There is such a variety of dolls out there though, I can easily see how one could enjoy them without enjoying anime, etc.

17. I'm not really into anime,but I like dolls that have that anime look. I don't even know why really,except it might have something to do with FF7.

18. I used to love Japanese culture, animation etc when I was a kid, but that was over thirty years ago. I showed my daughter what I liked when I was a kid, and she got into the modern variation, and it was interesting to see what she found. Still can appreciate the old and new. Seems to developed into a case of who can be the wackier, though.

19. I used to love anime- I was a regular Otaku. But I no longer watch anything but Black Butler. I've seen some series but never participate in any fandom or watch them again. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part can say I am not a big anime fan.
      I like the dolls because they are pretty regardless.

20. I did not know what anime/manga was until about a year ago. I have been into BJD's for six years but only with photographs so I never heard about this "anime". I do not like the anime/manga stuff. I only like realistic BJD's unless they are good fantasy ones. To each their own.