1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone not into anime, but into BJDs?

Aug 19, 2009

1. I may have an anime figure as my avatar, but the truth is that I haven't watched an anime in years. :sweat I have a few old favorites I kept, both anime and manga. That's about it. I don't think it has much to do with my dolls, though.

2. I'm not really into Anime. I watch a couple, but haven't actively for about 4 years.

My boyfriend also can't stand ANY animes, but likes BJDs :)

3. I used to watch a lot of anime when I was younger but now I can't really tolerate it aside from a couple series that friends have suggested to me knowing what my normal tastes are. I don't think it's a bad thing to not enjoy anime or other asian things but still like dolls. :) Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

4. nope, no anime here :P

5. I was heavily into anime a few years back but now I could care less about it.

I do adore faeries, though.. so I guess my boys are kinda like little faeries to me.

6. I liked the cartoons as a kid, but I don't know anyone in my age group that didn't. The culture was a big part of my younger life, but these days I'm pretty separated from it. I found out about bjds through that association, because people who deal with asian cultures will stumble upon them sooner or later... But yeah, I'm no longer interested in cartoons (haven't been in almost a decade) or anything like that aside from the every-now-and-then video game or motorbike. So yeah, it seems like we're oddballs, but you're not alone. : )

7. I watched and read a few animes and mangas in the past, but not many, and I haven't in a long time. I don't really consider myself an anime fan, although I do still like the few I actually finished. :P Also, I don't really like the BJDs that look REALLY like the anime style. A little stylized is fine, but in general, I like more realistic dolls.

8. I'm not an absolute anime fan. There are a few anime tv shows/movies that I like that would be considered "old skool" e.g from the 1970's and 80's but I know little of modern anime movies or shows. I really like the look of anime characters but I don't feel that you need to be a big devotee of anime/manga or Japanese culture in general to be interested in collecting dolls of Asian origin. I think my two Soom girls have a more realistic look to them with a hint of an anime influence as they are cuties with big eyes but its my Dollfie Dreams that of course look very anime looking. I've always been interested in cartoonish looking dolls so I don't think it's surprising that their appearance appeals to me. I lurve Leigi Matsumoto's work, both his stories and his art style, furthermore his wife, Miyako Maki, a manga artist, incidentally was the original creator of Licca Chan, and I collect these dolls too as I'm simply fond of the way they look. As a doll enthusiast I think it was foreseeable that BJD's would entice me regardless of where they are made etc.

9. I don't watch anime or read manga. Actually, I guess the only anime I like are the Studio Ghibli films, LOVE those but I don't watch any shows/series.

10. I admit that I like some anime. Right now, reading Ajin. Prefer horror. And the last anime I saw was actually very old: Vampire Princess Myu. However, I got into bjd as objets d'art, not an expression of anime culture, so much as mythic, or 'fairytale' culture. I'm fascinated with the place of dolls in culture. From what I was familiar with--Amish dolls that have no faces--(my grandparents, aunts and uncles on my mother's side are all Mennonite, and my great grandmother was Amish-Mennonite) to Girl's Day dolls, to the German and French antique dolls I'd see online, all of it was fascinating. BJD's however, were so much more *beautiful* to my eye, than the antique dolls I saw.

I confess, I don't watch anime. But I do love some Korean hallyu. Jewel in The Palace impressed me so much I got a doll of the main character. Ditto Dong Yi, and I'd love a Queen Seon-Deok doll if I could find one.

11. I used to be heavily into anime. I've grown up with watching it since I was really little, as I'm part Japanese and have a lot of cousins who watched it all the time. I still do like anime, but not nearly as much as I used to, especially since a lot of the newer series are pretty cookie cutter and aren't very interesting, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, there are still some good ones, they're just fewer and farther apart. Anyway, I'm veering off track a little. Despite being a pretty avid anime fan for years, I actually didn't learn about the existence of bjds through it at all. It wasn't until I read the Kamikaze Girls (otherwise known as Shimotsuma Monogatari) novel that I discovered them, and then I found that further down the line, bjd collecting is a fairly popular hobby among lolitas, so if anything, I associate bjds more with lolitas than anything else. That being said, I don't think it's that strange at all if you or anyone else don't like anime or even lolita fashion but are into this hobby. Everyone's allowed to like and dislike whatever they want after all, and there's no rule saying you have to like either of those things to join in on this hobby.

12. I found bjd's when I was searching for a wig for my 50's grocery store doll. I was fascinated by the beautiful faces. I just had to have one. I didn't realize there was an anime connection till after I was in the hobby.

13. I like anime but the one thing I can't get into, that I feel like most BJD-ers I meet are into, is cosplay... I feel weird about being that one person that doesn't cosplay or go to cons (I really really don't like big cons. I like doll cons only, anime and comic cons are not for me...). And it seems a lot of BJD people are a lot MORE into anime than I am; I like it casually, but I really haven't watched any new anime for a long time, and I'm not super into it. So yeah... I think I feel you lol

14. I'm not into anime but my husband is (sometimes). I just like dolls. I like the customization of BJDs and don't necessarily choose dolls based on anime looks.

15. me. I left anime a while ago. It was a good memory, though!

16. Glad to see this thread, because I've been having thoughts about this, too. From a different point of view, maybe, but... I'm 31 years old, I love Asian culture and anime a lot. But my anime story started differently, I began watching anime 4-5 years ago so I mostly see it as an artistic way of presenting stories. It didn't have any shaping effect on my tastes of art, dolls, clothing or anything. And it's impossible to guess that I watch anime when you look at me!

Perhaps that is why I was never inspired by anime and the style that comes with it for my dolls. In my opinion, I don't see a connection that must exist between dolls and anime. For me, the aesthetics of BJDs and anime don't even go well with each other. Even if I love it, I just can't find anything to hold on to in the anime world when it comes to developing doll characters or appearance, because I feel like anime-based creations are already complete and there wouldn't be much to add on to it. I'm saying that as someone with a handful of Azone Pure Neemo dolls :nowords: I love them a lot, but I'm not as half inspired by them as I am by other dolls and most of the time I don't know how to dress or pose them. Because they are created based on anime culture and although loving and knowing anime, I just don't know how to put myself into that mood :?

To conclude, I think BJDs don't have to do anything with anime "by default", so to say. Unless you don't want them to, of course. Because it is the most amazing side of this hobby, isn't it? They can be anything you want :sneaky

17. I'm not into anime. I don't know very much about it. I haven't seen a cartoon without it being at a friends house and I don't remember the character names. But I do like the aesthetic. My favorite kind of bjds are somewhere in between realistic and anime.

18. I've been in the doll hobby for 3 years but only started getting in anime the last 6 months. I never was into anime but as I cosplay as a hobby, I've been drawn in.

19. Does Spirited away and other films by Hayao Miyazaki count? Haha
      I mean I watched Sailor Moon, Pokemon and things like that as a child but have never, ever been into to anime or cosplay honestly. I think it's also important to remember that not all dolls are anime-like (e.g. Iplehouse), and many are based around fantasy, realism, or fashion.

20. I am not into anime at all - my kids both were. For my dolls I prefer more realistic sculpts. Of course this is just my personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the other for anyone else!