1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone not into anime, but into BJDs?

Aug 19, 2009

1. When I was quite a bit younger, I was definitely into anime (read: weaboo), but that's not actually how I was introduced to ball-jointed dolls.

My introduction to ball-jointed dolls occurred about five or so years ago when I was browsing deviantART. One of my watched artists posted a set of photos involving a nude LISHE. I thought she was beautiful, and wanted to know more.

Through her reference information, I found LUTS, and as a result, was also introduced to multiple other companies who sell these beautiful dolls.

Over the years, my interest in anime faded significantly before it was nearly snuffed out entirely. I enjoy reading a manga or two here and there, and while I plan on making a teaching career for myself in Japan after I graduate from University, that's pre-existing from a long-standing love affair that started about 17 years ago... heh :)

As it's been said, I think many people bridged into the hobby through anime and the like since BJDs are Asian in origin, but I think people stay for the love of the hobby. Or so I hope :)

2. Silver: Nobody's gonna kill you for liking what you like. :). You're entitled to your hobbies just as much as the next person!

I see what you're saying when you feel they are not related (anime and BJDs) and to a degree, that definitely makes sense, especially considering dolls that are not anime based (like Dollfie Dreams). In fact, I have alot of otaku friends who don't care at all about dolls. And vice versa.

But because of thier origins, like you said, the link between the two is undeniable, and often users will discover one because of the other, though I think it is way less likely to discover anime because of dolls.

To everyone else, it's good and refreshing to meet others who don't enjoy anime. I don't particularily enjoy lolita much, either, but that's another one of my personal prefferences. I don't know if anyone else feels the same on that count. ^^

3. It's not a crime to love anime, Silver! And I am not saying anything is wrong with liking it! I just don't, and I was wondering if it went hand-in-hand.. likeeee *thinks* being in the SCA and liking LotR. It's like PB and Jelly. I was wondering if BJDs were PB and anime was jelly.. ok I'm done, lol.

Thanks for your answers, folks.

4. Splynterhayde and lvl0rg4n - Yay for not being killed~! *does victory dance*

Heh, I gotta' agree with you there. We humans are all unique and deserve to be so in every aspect. So thanks for that.

You know, it's funny.

Up until a few years ago, I had absolutely no idea just how popular anime and manga really were. Seriously, in the dark. I think it's because I've always been basically a social shut in (very few friends, hardly ever leave my darn room, went to an incredibly small school [around 100 students, only 25 in my grade/class])... So I've grown used to literally always being the only Japan otaku around. Always having to explain why I was so weird and all... Oi.

Since my school was so small and there weren't really any others sharing my interests I quickly became known as the "Gackt-obsessed-girl", and the Japanaphile (although I'd take credit for starting that one), among other things... Imagine my horror when I realized I'd have to share Gakuto-sama's awesomeness with half the freaking female population. *sob* Why's he gotta' be so amazing?!

Anyway, I still often have that strange feeling like Japan is kinda' my own private little world... So it's really almost unsettling to me that there are so many people that like it as much, if not more so, than I do.

At the same time...it is comforting and refreshing to know there are others that love the same things I do. So...I can really appreciate where you guys are coming from in wanting to know you are not the only ones who aren't into anime and junk. *smile smile smile*

PS - Thanks a lot for making me freaking hungry for peanut butter and jelly at 12am by the way. *mock glare*

Waaah! We have no Jelly... *sobs*

5. Trust me, you're not the only one. I have alot of Japanophile friends out there. Either they are crazy for J-rock and lolita or they're crazy for *shudder* Yu-Gi-Oh! and Inu Yasha. Huggghhughugggghhhh.....

But that's just me, personally disliking. And it's not like I (or anyone else here) is above you or something, for not liking anime. O_o. Trust me. We're probably just as much shut ins as you are!

(I hate the outdoors! >P)

6. i didn't find learn what bjds were through anime, though i do like it, i'm not much a fan. i like it when it has a plot, and beautiful works of art-- like miyazaki. if you look at my icon, i only chose that because it's creepy. orz
      i'm more interested in japan as a country, and the city aspects of it.
      either way, anime has nothing to do with my doll.

:truffle Lord

7. I used to like anime, but now I've just gone off it. Not entirely sure why, but I guess tastes change. I'm half Japanese, so people expect me to be... well, Japanese I guess. I'm really not. If anything, I'm really British.
      I go to anime conventions, but that's because I have a lot of friends that I don't get to see often so it's one of the only times I get to see them. Yeah, I cosplay, but my costumes are all video game and film (and not just Japanese films.... I do Star Wars too)

BJDs aren't really "anime dolls". They're a separate thing completely. It's just that they're from that side of the world, so I guess they automatically get thrown in there with all that. Check out Wikipedia, and the first paragraph under history mentions European and Egyptian. Okay, the strung dolls I think are Japanese in origin (don't yell at me for being wrong!)

If you think about it, a lot of companies these days are Korean, not Japanese.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I didn't even see a BJD at a convention until well after I'd known about them. I can't remember how I found out about them though. My memory is pants.

8. Splynterhayde - Oh my god, I can't stand InuYasha. I mean, as with any anime I'll give it a chance if I hear it in Japanese...but... Gyaah! The rabid fans. *eye twitch* Narutards are just as bad. Fortunately I don't encounter them any more since I got out of high school, stopped leaving the house, and avoided such postings online. Heh. I used to have one "friend" that played Yu-Gi-Oh! actually but he wasn't annoying for that reason. *laugh*

I've got one friend who's into Lolita as a lifestyle not just a trend or whatever...that reminds me I owe her a phone call. Shoot. *guilty feeling* And gosh, two of my more recent friends are into JRock, but because of my limited funds and doomed to dial-upness I haven't really branched out to anyone besides Gackt despite being a Japanaphile for around seven years now.

Funny thing is, it turns out my best friend knew about BJDs before I ever did (like by two years) and she never told me! Even knowing how cool I'd have found them--probably because of my love of Japan and stuff. Ah well, now we have plans to make our first dolls a couple or something. *laugh*

Gosh, I think the last time I left the house (traveling farther than the grocery store or out longer than an occasional resume drop off that is) was over a month ago. And before that it was close to three. God that's scary and pathetic... *frowns* Man, I wish I had friends my age that didn't only exist on the Internet. (All of my other friends are still in High School so I don't hang out with them all that much any more since I graduated in 07 nor do I think they particularly care to be around me since I'm always the one who has to initiate calls/get togethers.) So yeaaaah... I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who's more of a shut in than I am. Hehehe.

(We should start a hating the outdoors club.)

9. I used to really like anime but my parents didn't allow much of it in the house... So the liking of it really died down over the past few years. I still enjoy seeing a Miyazaki movie (LOVE HIS ANIMATION! SO BEAUTIFUL!) once in a while but I'm not all that interested in anime anymore. I am however learning Japanese this semester in college, and still have an interest in some cute japanese icons (hello kitty, gloomy bear, domo and other things) but I'm not totally gaga over everything Japanese (except for the harajuku street fashion I LOVE IT!!!). Yet I still am in love with BJD's.

10. i love japanese music and the culture, and i read some manga, but honestly anime is the only thing i could never really get into ^^ the only one i really liked was cowboy bebop. i didn't find out about BJDs from anime exactly, i just saw them on livejournal i think. i'm not sure, my memory is horrible. but yeah, you definitely don't have to like those things to be involved with BJDs.

11. I like Japan and I'm curious about this land's colture. But I haven't a passion about manga and anime. I think it isn't a problem.

12. Unless you have something like a Dollfie Dream, I don't think the lack of interest in anime/manga is even relevant.

13. I was enormously into anime when I was younger -- until I was about 13. This was back in the 'old dinosaur days' when you tended to know what US shops stocked anything on your coast, not so much in your town. ;)

My folks wanted to do some kind of trip before I went to high school, and I even conned my mother into going to Japan. (It was a tour, actually, went there and a few other places as well. :) ) That experience exchanged my preteen passion for anime into a more generalized fascination with world culture, and I stopped pestering my poor father (who made road trips all over the country as a sportswriter) into picking up "ANYTHING ANIME!!!" he could get his hands on. He still thanks me for this and says that trip was worth every penny spent on it, especially due to the trouble getting a hold of much of anything at the time. *cough* (I still tease him because he'd just buy things pretty blindly and more than once accidentally presented his 10-12 year old daughter with hentai, to the sound of much screaming, yelling, and "RAY! YOU NEED TO REMEMBER TO FLIP THROUGH THESE THINGS BEFORE YOU JUST HAND THEM TO YOUR DAUGHTER!" from my mother, who never found it half as hilarious as we both did since it was just a clueless mistake and it's not like I had any interest in it.)

I'm more patient than some people with the anime craze because, let's face it, I've been there -- and probably worse -- than a lot of the things people complain about, even if it was a long while back when you got called a dork for liking it. I'm just... over it. I don't think it's bad, evil, or boring -- but it's just another medium now with no extra special appeal. If a story or visual style grabs my attention and can keep it (not an easy task since I'm never -just- watching something -- I'm always working with my hands or at the screen while watching, so subtitles are -right- out since I barely have a moment to look and read) it's worth watching. If it's annoying for some reason, I'll turn it off -- just like I would with any other television show or movie.

The last manga I collected was the original US comic translation of Mai: the Psychic Girl. Mercy, do I ever feel old now.

That being said, I am still perpetually surrounded by anime and manga, because the roomie is older than I am, started out just as young, and never lost the obssession. My tolerance in general waned when he put up a particularly *cough*detailed*cough* scroll poster once that made me feel far too much like Major Kusanagi's gynecologist any time I went down the stairs -- truly, the angle and the image just... it was uncanny and very, very wrong -- but since that came down, there has been peace on the subject within the house.

14. I'm an older collector than most here and was not aware of the existence of anime until after I bought dolls and became a member of DOA. I have no interest in it or manga. (Are they the same? I have no clue.)

15. I think this discussion is at least somewhat valid, because I have occasionally run across threads where (I assume) anime character names are tossed around as if everyone knows who they are.

I personally have never seen an anime I liked. I think I have the potential to like it, maybe, but my one RL friend who is into it has outright refused to bring over any of the animes we've heard of and are interested in seeing, and persists in bringing over things he ought to know we're going to both hate and relentlessly make fun of (screechy big-eyed girls=instant hate). If you've ever seen Mystery Science Theater 3000, that's my best friend and I watching, well, anything... but especially the animes he brings over. I've never read a manga.

I also tend not to like the dolls who have a very aggressively anime look, but a more stylized look is fine with me.

16. I enjoy two animes - Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club - and I really don't think they bear any connection to the dolls at all. I liked them before I got into dolls, and I did not get into dolls because of them. The only thing that anime and BJDs have in common is that they are both Asian in origin. :)

17. I haven't followed any anime or manga series in about four or five years. The last series I watched with any slavishness was "Gunslinger Girl." I discovered anime with original airing of "Starblazers" many moons ago, so I'm no a stranger to the aesthetic. It's natural for overlap between BJDs and anime/manga, I think, but hardly necessary to enjoy either one separately.

I am excited about "Halo Legends" however, and eagerly look forward to what top-shelf Japanese anime studios will do with Master Chief. Yeah, some people will say it's not "real" anime since it's based on a Western (rather than Japanese) property, but I don't care. I want Master Chief! :fangirl:

"Halo Legends" trailer on Youtube - Clicky for more. Nom. :aheartbea

18. Eeh, I like Japanese rock (obviously - my minimees are all rock stars :XD:) and can speak Japanese, buuut.. I'm not into anime. I just have a strong appreciation of beautiful things and therefore I love dolls. :D

19. I don't see the connection between the dolls and anime really at all. The exception is where I see members dressing their dolls in cosplay, which I think it really neat, but not something I would personally do. *lack of skills* I like anime and manga to a certain degree, and used to be avidly into it, but as I've gotten older it's really seemed to drop off quite a bit. My art, though evolved into my own style, still has a slight anime feel to it, and I admit I really love the manga art style. There are some anime that I've grown up with, including Sailor Moon <3 and some CLAMP related series that I can't do without, but mostly it's on the back shelf now.

My art, dolls, and photography are my main hobbies. :)

20. I'm sure there are plenty of people around not into anime, and love bjds! I don't think bjd's actually have anything to do with anime, so it shouldn't be very common. Though, you can see them a lot at cons, and I'm sure the majority of people into bjd's are into anime. There are surely some not into them.

I used to be, like, extremely into anime. LIKE WHOA! But now, not so much. I like, but not as obsessed as I used to be. I read whatever I can when it comes to manga. But, I'm not crazy about. Like it. Some series I love. But eh, I don't deal with it everyday. XD