1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone not into anime, but into BJDs?

Aug 19, 2009

1. Me. In general, I can appreciate it as an art form, as someone who's thinking about going to get her master's in animation, but that's pretty much where it ends. ​

2. Hello I am here too. I'm not into anime (though I used to be avidly into it when I was waaay younger) or Asian culture (I am Asian) but I like BJDs. I admit I tend to feel like an outsider too..but I enjoy the diversity amongst the members here. I remember finding a lawyer once on the board and it was pretty cool! So you don't really have to be interested in anime or Asian cultures, whatnot. I'm here for the BJDs, that's all :)

3. I don't like anime at all or anything related to the 'otaku' subculture, you know just the Japanese stuff in general that people seem to be into. I find it irritating at best, honestly. I do try to be polite about it because I know a lot of people are, but it's just not my thing.

None of my dolls are Japanese, by this I mean the actual company and the characters themselves so they don't have Japanese interests either. One of them is suppose to be a circus performer so she wears either comfy casual stuff usually in greys and blacks or clothing for performing in that's usually in very rich fabrics and colours, one that's a total fashionista that wears really fashionable, elegant clothing in this season's colours, one that's a dirty, rough and tumble musician that just wears whatever is comfortable in earth tones, and one that wears suits whenever he's not working out at the gym.

I love my BJDs, but I strongly dislike anime.

4. Im not into anime or manga or anything like that, but i did buy a grell head only because he had a big smile with massive teeth! i just parted with him as he never got the attention he deserved - he has now gone to a loving home which will appriecate him.

other than that i dont have a clue about animee or manga!

5. I have to agree with the person who said that anime is a medium and not a genre. There are anime series that I really like and get into, but for me it's not any different than being into a western TV series, or a foreign live-action show, or whatever. Just another TV show or movie that I like to watch.

I go to conventions, but I'm more into cosplay and just the fact that I've got a lot of friends there. I am into the figure collecting hobby, and, in fact, action figures are what lead me to the BJD hobby, and it's why I'm starting at the vinyl end of things. Vinyls are much more poseable and have a lot of a "giant action figure" aspect to them, and the DD aesthetic initially appealed to me more than the resin BJDs I'd been exposed to. I'm starting to find more and more resins that I do like, though, especially the super-realistic ones like Iplehouse.

6. When I first started college, anime and manga were like... my life. Now, I'm just not in the mood to read any manga, though I will watch anime at times, but it's still kind of rare.

7. Nope! Still quite unapologetically into anime and any other relatively adult animation, though in recent years I'm more into manga, both of which are, I completely agree, media and not genres. I can't help but note this is a resurrected 2009 thread. I got into this hobby in 2009, which was probably about the time the "stylized" to "realistic" shift was getting going, so I was a bit taken aback by how common anti-anime sentiments were. This isn't really an otaku-dominated forum these days, although there certainly are plenty of anime fans into BJDs; it seems like many these days come in through different avenues and as Volks is no longer the biggest game in town, the direct connection to Japanese culture isn't as obvious to newcomers, IMHO. Me, without anime-based fanfic buddies, would never even have heard of BJDs.

Meetups I can't speak to, as I don't live with 800km of a place where they are held.

8. Well,I am into anime, but that's not really the reason I get into BJD. BJD actually gives me those old school dolly feelings that I've been missing for so long.

9. I used to be big into certain stuff when I was younger but it seems for the last 7 years or so I've tried all the new series (FMA, Naruto, Black Butler, etc.) and have just found myself bored to tears. I still rewatch the old stuff from my younger days (Vampire Hunter D, Harlock, Slayers) but I think current trends have just moved past my tastes and I'm more into western culture now. I do however dig the toys that Japan produces and I own a ton of Gundams and transformers without particuarly enjoying their source material. Nothing wrong with appreciating the things you like :)

10. I'm not into anime at all - but I love BJD: they are for me absolutely not linked... What attracts me to those dolls is quite a different kind.

11. I can relate to this. I'm mainly just into the dolls. I am fascinated by the culture, but for the most part I'm only into BJDs.

12. I'm a fan of animation in general, but anime in particular isn't my favorite. I do appreciate Asian culture though. My interest in BJD's has more to do with liking dolls than it does with anime.

13. I'm not into anime, and boy does it make for some awkward meetups. Everyone else seems to be into it and are excitedly talking about the show of the month, and I'm standing back going "Well... I don't watch it." Oh well, I've learned that when those discussions come around it's a good chance to go take some photos on my own.

14. I'm really not into anything Asian except dollies. And Kigurumis. And Pocky. I can't stand anime, it just kinda annoys me?

15. i like both anime and abjd. but it is not because of anime that i got interested in abjd.
      i was looking for a doll to use as a reference to draw after. and by a counsidence i saw a link to dollmore on an art site. i thought the ball joins and the detailed faces were really impressive.
      so i think it was the beauty of the dolls that got me interested

i still like anime a lot, i think it is because i am also a big fantasy book lover. and a lot of animes have plot with fantasy elements

16. I think Ive replied to a thread like this before? I dont remember.

Anyways. I dont really care for anime all that much, my best friend is big into it and so is my fiancée and by proxy I watch a lot of anime but I dont keep up with much on my own unless the subject appeals to me. Im the same with anime as I am american television and films.

I do enjoy other japnese culture and food (omg sushi!) and even work in a asian fusion restruant (okay, so this was an accident). I still feel like an outsider with other hobbyists because I dont know current anime trends, am not really into lolita (though I love the look) and have no idea about jrock bands. Unles you want sushi and bubble tea, my hobbies and interests tend to be way out of the general BJD hobbyists relmes and which is why I largely stay out of the community anymore.

So no, your not alone. :)

17. I'm the same, not an anime/manga fan at all. I like some studio Ghibli's that I bought my son to watch, and I think Akira was a good film and Chobits a good series; but I'm not a fan of it as a genre. I really really don't like Cosplay atall, or the 'nya' fandom and Yaoi or anything like that.

I got into BJD's completely by accident, I was looking for something completely different (a Wednesday Addams style dress in doll form that I couldn't find so I tried the term 'Lolita' and came across them), and loved them. I used to like reborns a lot, but now I find them a little bit depressing and think it was asociated with the fact my daughter was stillborn; I moved on from them after about 6 months, maybe a year.

18. Except that...anime isn't a genre? Anime simply means Japanese animation. That's all it is. Cartoons from Japan. Just like there are cartoons from pretty much any country. It's a medium, a way of telling a story, not an actual genre. Anime, like lots of cartoons from different cultures, fall into many different genres ranging hugely from shows geared toward children to adults and encompassing everything from silly comedy to realistic adult plotlines. If you don't prefer the medium of cartoons then say so but it's kinda disrespectful to dismiss all the unique storylines anime and other cartoons have to offer by lumping it all together.

Not to meant to particularly single you out but I see this sentiment a lot on the boards and it quite annoys me. I don't consider myself an otaku as I only follow about one or two anime series but I don't fall into the "outsider" camp of disliking it either. Anime doesn't have only one look either with the big eyes and tiny nose/mouth, that just happens to be the most popular look identified with it. I just find this such an odd question since even though I don't follow any of the current anime/manga trends I've never felt particularly outcasted at meet-ups because of it or like I was some super special snowflake because I'm "above" such childish things.

19. I was only vaaaguely in to some anime's yeeeaars ago, before a horrid string of freinds and roommates burnt it like kerosene out of me with their own habits and obsessions towards anime/manga/all things must be asssiaaan. (Let's just not go here... I now know it was more of an issue with their own obsessive/detrimental/crazy as a bag of angry weezels personalities that blew things out of proportion, and that simply unfortunatly was their medium/culture/whatevs they chose to obsess upon. Unfortunately when you have been seared by that kind of fire you twitch from PTSD for a loooong time.)

I did not get in to the dolls until years later. I wasn't even originally a doll collector. A MINIATURES collecter, yes, but I was more interested in small THINGS then small people. What got me in to them was their articulation and customization, and that I could pose and move them like the animations I tried (and failed horridly) at makin. I could give as close to literal LIFE to character tropes in my head. The molds I favor lean more towards multi ethnic or european in looks. I only have one asian character in my head, but that has more to do simply with her character then with any sort of leaning towards favor of asian cultures.

Mind I don't hate or despise anime, manga, or anything asian oriented, I just don't think about them much. A lot of the artistic elements just don't HIT me much... But I can say the same about some American or European styles too. Just not my 'thing' I guess, though there are still one or two I maaaay watch again because the do have a good storyline and artistic alteration I like, but it is not a huge drive.

So no, if the growth of this thread and everyone else saying it doesn't show you, well, I'll say it again... No, you are not alone!

20. I Agree completely, I don't watch Anime, don't eat pocky, and I definately do not eat sushi =S
      My dolls are wide spread culturally, but not Japanese inspired, though I tried! Ultimately the hardcore-force-anime-down-your-throat people with their desu! and Kawaii! Killed them for me.
      Im talking about the white kids walking around, butchering the japanese language in fanfics, and fan art, and even in every day speach, it maddens me! It could be such a pretty language, if it hadn't been blasphemised by the fans.
      I will Admit I am a big fan of ELG or gothic lolita style clothing, but thats where it ends. And Hello kitty.
      I.Just.Love.Dolls. =3