1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone not planning to sell any of their BJDs, ever

Dec 23, 2020

1. I have no plans of selling any of my dolls. They are far to precious to me. I know that doll plans don't always work out and when that happens to me I just reinvent the character. I haven't had any issues bonding. I don't know if I've been lucky or if it's just me being very selective in my purchases. I have a few dolls that were spur of the moment. Impulse buys for me usually happen when I fall head over heels for a doll and have the funds available and I've not regretted a single one.

However, I have a few event heads that I'm not particularly attached too and since my niece has gotten into the hobby, I've been giving them to her as birthday/Christmas gifts. I passed on one of my Fairyland event heads to her and I love what she's done with him. She's an artist and is really good at doing her own faceups. I really love sharing the hobby with her!I

2. I would never feel bad for selling. By moving an unloved doll along, you give someone else a chance to cherish it. Most of my dolls I've gotten secondhand and they've given me great joy! I wouldn't have had the opportunity to love them if other hobbyists held on to the purchases they didn't feel 100% about.

3. I thought the same thing when I first started in the hobby, but tasted change over a decade. Most of my dolls are second-hand and in one case, a partial trade towards a doll I was selling. So for people selling their dolls, I am thankful.

As my tastes change, I sell them. Reshelling a character is not a big deal for me these days, however, trying to keep a cohesive theme is difficult these days. Some are more realistic, some are quite stylized.

4. I have that terrible combination of being overly attached to inanimate objects and being lazy about selling stuff, so I haven't actually sold any of my dolls yet. I have a few dolls I keep thinking I could do without, even a few floating heads I doubt I'll ever get bodies for, but I've never committed to selling them. If I did I'd be much more likely to sell or trade them to someone local then put them up on the marketplace here.

5. I started the hobby thinking I would never sell a doll, but that was almost 13 years ago! 3 years ago I took a look at my collection and realized I really didn’t care for some of my dolls anymore. Like a lot of people here, I’m very sentimental with objects, but part of that meant not wanting to have a doll that I feel is unloved. So I sold three full dolls, a head, and a body. I feel much better having sold them because now I love all the dolls in my collection and don’t feel any are neglected.

6. I know myself well enough to know I will likely never well any of my dolls seeing as I still have and cherish beloved toys that have been with me for over three decades. Once something becomes a part of me I find it next to impossible to ever part with it, and my bjds definitely fit within that category.

7. We're most likely never going to sell our dolls. My husband and I had some pretty rough times being poor and in love early on, and had considered selling some of our collection to make ends meet. In the end, we couldn't do it even though we would have been way more comfortable if we had sold certain dolls and their accoutrement at their height of their popularity. I think it was partly because we had struggled so much to even afford the dolls we got and we've learned already that if we didn't get a certain doll at a time when it was more easily available (either as a pre-order or direct purchase), then the option from buying from the secondhand market was either too cost prohibitive or non-existent. That, and each of our dolls have a certain sentimental memory for us or arrived to us during a milestone in our lives. I think if we were ever desperate again and have exhausted other avenues, we would sell them as a last resort, but as far as I could see that isn't an option right now. And even then, I think I would rather sell everything else I own first, even other sentimental items, just so we could keep them.

8. I never have doll that I do not have connection with. If a doll make me feel a very strong connection, I will not hesitate to act. Sometimes, I struggle with mix feeling of wanting and A True connection, so I wait until last day of sale or 30 minutes before sale ending period to make sure that I have this unexplained connection with them before bringing them home. Being said that, my doll will never be on sale because they are my soulmates!
      I also struggle when asked "If you can keep only one doll, who will it be?"
      I would reply with my alternative answer that I will spend every bit of my energy and time to find ways that we all can be together.

That is what "Love" made me do :love.

9. Yes, I don't plan on ever selling any of my dolls. I love my dolls as individuals so would never sell them unless it was an emergency and even then it would be as a last resort.

10. I get very attached to inanimate objects and I also struggle with extreme executive dysfuction so I honestly can't see myself ever selling any of my dolls, even if I wanted to. I got my first doll in 2014, and despite the fact that she now looks horribly out of place next to my other dolls, and the fact that I don't really do much with her, I still love having her in my collection.

11. I would never sell any of my current dolls. I’ve had several dolls in the past, and I sold all of them. I miss them all several years later, but it makes me cherish my current collection way more! They’re mine forever haha :)

12. I think it depends for me! I'm very attached to my two MSD dolls (especially because one of them is Hwayu and I'm trying desperately to collect her full set), but I have another MSD that I can't bond with no matter what I do. Even a new face up didn't work, so I'll probably be letting her go at some point...

13. Well first off I didn’t buy them with the intention to sell. I’m pretty sentimental and I generally don’t like departing with hardly anything. With that said each doll I have is special to me because I fall in love with each doll I end up owning. I choose them because I was either drawn to them by someone else’s post, video or thread. Like love at first sight lol.

14. I don't plan to sell any of my dolls but I think the possibility is still there.
      I primarily would not sell because I still like everything. But I could see myself selling bodies in case of a hybridizing failure or to upgrade posability or something like that. Ultimately I'm very lazy so I don't think I'll be up to selling a doll unless something really does not work out.

15. I'd never sold one until recently. I have (had) 3 Elfdoll Nabees (an old doll from 2005). One was my first BJD and very precious to me and I'd never sell. The other two I bought as investments potentially to sell later, though hadn't decided. One was displayed and the other had never been taken out of box other than for custom work. LE of 100. A member contacted me recently, saying it was her first BJD and asking me to contact her if I ever decided to sell. This is a special situation, so I sold her one for my original investment. In that case the doll was more important to her than it was for me. I don't really plan to sell any more unless a special situation like this arises.

16. I never buy with the intention to sell, but I have found over the years that my tastes change, or that I discover new dolls and since funds are limited I have to sell in order to buy. I miss the days where we could go to a doll shop and see them in person, because I would have saved myself a lot of money over the years, not to mention dolls I sold that I couldn't get back to buy a doll I really wanted only to find I wish I would have kept what I sold. No way to know if I will like a doll though until I buy it. I have searched for years for that ONE doll that just blows me away that no other doll would compare to and that would be it. I haven't found it, I probably never will because, again, my tastes change. I hope I am not the only one that goes through this!

17. I don't have many yet. But I don't think I'd sell them. If for some reason I no longer wanted them around, I'd probably give them to friends that would take care of them, or stick them in their boxes in the closet.

My luck is such if I sold one, the buyer would uncover some scratch or blemish or something I didn't realize was there and be unhappy.

Also, I'm lazy and don't think I want to deal with the work involved in selling, unless I had an emergency.

18. You know, it’s funny that I didn’t plan on selling any of mine until recently. When I first got into this hobby, I bought only boys (it was early 2000’s so girls weren’t as nice looking as they are now imo). Now, I prefer the girls and am not as crazy about my boys. So I am selling my first. But, I have absolutely NO plans on selling my new girl.

19. And it was the kindest thing anyone could’ve done! Thank you so much Adam!

I bought and sold some but I wish I hadn’t sold my first (Elfdoll Nabee), which I could never find afterwords until Adam (read above) kindly agreed to offer one of his to me (thank you so much again Adam!). I got very lucky after several years of looking. There are, of course, dolls that I will never sell.

Some I “bond” with, some I don’t. Some turned out to be an investment, some- quite the opposite.

But there are dolls that, for me, have a soul from day one and those always stay. I find that painting, customising and photographing them myself usually created a bond that lasts.

#59 cureilona, Feb 13, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2021
    20. Ok now that's profound. These are words to live by, and can be extrapolated to many areas of life.