1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone wish they had got into the hobby sooner ?

Oct 11, 2020

1. I couldn't have been into the hobby any earlier. I've been around it since 2000. I was customizing Volks 1/6 abs Dollfie figures in the late 90s before they released the first Super Dollfies.

Even so, there are dolls I missed out on in the first few years because there was no infrastructure in place to get new doll information or to buy the dolls I did want. No Paypal meant everything was done by money order or direct bank deposit. Most places were in Japan and Korea and they didn't ship overseas. Nobody had English speaking reps, there were no dealers for overseas customers. (we had to walk up hill in the snow in the dead of winter with nothing but kleenex boxes for shoes... *waves cane around*)

I really don't believe there is such a thing as "impossible" to get. Yes, there are a few super hard to find dolls now due to their lack of popularity at release. But really, with perseverance and money set aside, you can land most dolls. And if you'd bought up a lot of shoes that long ago, many of them would be falling apart by now and you'd have to replace them anyways. Pleather death is so disappointing.

There's really never any sense of being "done" for me. My tastes change, what's available changes, things get bought and resold. Even if you started years earlier, you might still have the same feeling.

2. Love the waves cane about comment :XD: yeah I think I was just overwhelmed with choice and when I found something I liked, I realised it was discontinued :( Hopefully I can find some second hand. Ive already managed to get a minifee Karsh head :D

3. No. When I was first interested in BJD, I would never have been able to afford it.

I

4. Good money management needed, Ive got to be good now ive ordered a few. Hopefully my tastes dont change too quick lol

Yeah haha at first I was confused to why most of fairyland website showed out of stock! Took me ages to understand why :doh

5. Sometimes I do! I first discovered the hobby in 2013, but I was too broke and my life was a trainwreck honestly. I am disappointed that there are some dolls I probably will never get from back then, but I've got a nice little collection of 13 right now. They've all got clothes, wigs, eyes, shoes and a decent little wardrobe ^^
      Even IF I had been able to get a doll back then, it probably would have been a doll I wasn't really satisfied with because of a low budget (not that cheap dolls are bad) it would probably be wigless and naked.
      I'm happy with things now though, I'm thankful my situation has turned around and I'm able to have these beautiful dolls now :)

6. I was a child when I first got interested in the hobby, so I've experienced the salt of watching the dolls I fell in love with get discontinued before I could come close to being able to afford them. :pout: More than the dolls I missed out then, however, I feel a bigger regret through the hiatus I ended up taking. I was a busy and poor student, but the one of the very first companies that really got me hooked into the hobby ended up disappearing during those years before I could get any of their dolls.

I can't help but feel like I let an opportunity slip right through my fingers. :doh I think I just assumed I'd still be able to get the doll later, or I'd see a doll that I feel even stronger about.

I think I was half right about those assumptions though. When I see some of the improvements companies have made to their doll bodies, the bigger selection of clothes and accessories, or a new sculpt that I can't help but adore... I may or may not have completely fallen in love with a new doll and ordered her right after declaring my return to the hobby... Ahem. I think that perhaps it was for the best that I ended up saving my money. Oh I still do sometimes fall in love with older dolls I can no longer get and wish I had a way to get them, but the feeling when the 'right' doll just happens to make a debut when you're ready and able to get a hold of them... I really can't compare the satisfaction and happiness I feel when that happens.

7. I got into Dollfie dreams around April/ May of this year, and have just very recently moved on to acctual bjd’s and honestly I agree with everything you’ve said SOOO MUCH! There’s so many cool ideas I have but I just need so many more dolls to do it

8. ugh this is literally me! About 2 years ago I had a really good paying job with low cost of living and could have afforded all the dolls I wanted but didn't take the plunge. Now I have no money for myself and live across the world, with a low paying part time job. I'm not complaining about my life, I'm happy, but I do wish I had taken the plunge sooner. When I didn't have to ask my spouse before I make a big financial decision haha.

9. Definitely. I wish I had got into it before Dream of Doll went kaput.

10. .

#30 Gintsumi, Oct 12, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    11. I was worried mine would be wigless and naked butbive managed to find a few second hand items this week via Instagram. I need to stop spending now lol :XD:

I fell in love with Dollzone Miyou, I kept looking for a few days and just ended up ordering :love he is a cute little fox boy. I think I would of regretted it if I missed out on him.

Haha, I have so many ideas too. I have about four characters so far :whee: I also have seen so many clothes and accessories I'd love for them all. Its like I need more time to save before everything sells out lol

Haha I still ask my spouse about spending, even though we do earn about the same! :XD:

Oh no, I don't think I've looked at Dream of Doll dolls. But I better not in case I add more to my list that I missed out on :shudder

Yeah thats understandable! I think its probably best i discovered them now to be honest, now ive finally got a stable income and finished studying :)

12. He's adorable..! The fantasy parts, especially the fox ears, are so detailed. I hope you post photos of him once he arrives. <3

Ah yes... That's the company that made me regret my break from the hobby........ I feel you.

13. I’m also relatively new to the hobby, but I feel like I became interested at the right time. Like others have said, the financial aspect played a big part of timing - I didn’t want to go into debt for a hobby.

But also, I actually feel a little “lucky” getting into BJDs later since there’s lots of information available to newbies that probably wasn’t around in the earlier days. I can look up reviews about companies & products here on DoA and make informed purchases. I can read tutorials about how to choose the right eyes, how to properly clean my dolls, or watch restringing videos without having to fumble around blindly while trying to figure it out alone. And while there are a lot of beautiful older dolls out there, there are also plenty of new dolls to admire too.

14. I first got into the hobby about 8 years ago, but I didn't acquire my 2nd or 3rd dolls until 5 years later (2017).

I think now is a good time for me to be into the hobby. Back when I first started 8 years ago, I was a penniless college student who got my first doll as a Christmas present from my mom. Now I have financial independence and more expendable money, so I can afford a new doll without guilt. Plus, I found out that the newer dolls are made with better resin (yay!) so most new dolls I buy from here on out won't yellow quite as badly as older dolls. :)

15. Personally I'm glad I didn't enter the hobby sooner.
      I've changed so much as a person since I first started to admire bjds. Now I can afford to buy the ones I absolutely love, my taste in what I consider aesthetically pleasing has changed. I'm also a lot more picky now lol
      If I'd started earlier I would have just ended up with hundreds of dolls with no purpose, reflecting my lack of knowledge and random purchases I know I would have made.

16. I will definitely post some photos of him :whee: the wait is looking like 6/7 months though!! :o

17. I wish I didn't take such a huge break during 2016-2019 because Volks had some great releases, but now they're super expensive and hard to get.

18. I got my first doll in 2006 and...to be honest, in some ways I wish I'd gotten into dolls later! I wouldn't give up the dolls I have now for anything, but as the number of companies expanded, I spot sculpts that would have fit an OC better every so often and by now I'm too far sentimentally attached to the ones I have to even consider reshelling them. I apparently buy for life(!).

That said, there's no wrong time to come into a hobby that brings you joy. Especially now, with the flourishing amount of independent companies and shops out there. Even if you think "darn I missed this sculpt by a year", there's guaranteed to be more that gets you right in the money bits!

19. As an old-time collector (in the hobby and in age), I kind of have mixed feelings about when I learned about these dolls. I definitely don't wish I could have learned about them sooner, because there weren't as many companies around, and paying and ordering them was a pain in the gut as it was already mentioned. However, at times I do wish I had learned about them later, because then I wouldn't own as "many" larger ones, and would actually own ones I would do things with. On the other hand, I've become a lazy old bum, I don't do much with most of my toys anymore. So, maybe even if I had discovered BJD late in the game, I wouldn't do squat with any regardless. I don't regret the dolls I do own, and actually regret not getting some others, not due to my ignorance of the hobby but due to brokenness at the time (I was still in college when I started collecting, then took a stupid "break" off the hobby when I didn't have to).

I get ambiguous feelings, because I would have preferred owning smaller mature BJD, which weren't a thing back then (and kind of are still rare even now). Then again, I would have liked to still own the sculpts I do own now, just in smaller sizes --- which would not be a thing anyway. So, I guess I'm good having discovered BJD when I did, I just wish I had a shrink ray (which is improbable). DX

20. I love some of the volks dolls too but can't seem to find any second hand, im assuming they are rare to find!

Yeah there is definitely more and more im discovering that are still available now, I think I need to get saving haha!

Haha a skrink Ray would be awesome :XD: I definitely like the smaller dolls, like the minifee sizes. I have ordered a 1/6 doll too, he was too adorable not too lol :love