1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone wish they had got into the hobby sooner ?

Oct 11, 2020

1. Not really! I figure if I had gotten in any earlier than I did it would have been before I got any income.. so it would have been a few years of staring at dolls with no way to buy them :(

2. Yes. Sadly, I have found a few dolls that I have missed out on that I absolutely love! However, I am sure in the future I will find others that I will love more.

3. Yes and no - when I first got into the hobby I was pretty young, in high school, so I really couldn't afford dolls at all. The ones I did get at that time I had to save up for over a very long time, or were partially gifted to me by family. I think if I could afford the hobby then like I can now I would have loved to be able to get some older dolls that are now unavailable and would've enjoyed being a part of it earlier, but I'm pretty happy with the point that I did enter the hobby.

4. I kind of wish I knew about the hobby some years ago (this guy would have been shelled way sooner) but also I don't know if he would still be around through those growing pains in the years to follow. I'm at a point now where I fully appreciate my character and how far both of us have come.

5. Yeah think that's what I wish, that I'd known about it sooner. I was very overwhelmed with choice for my two characters I had in mind. :abambi:

6. Honestly, I think right now is a great time to get into the hobby versus when I first got into it into it in 2007 (give or take a year or two). There are so many options now and tastes do change even if you are consistent with certain things. I also have regrets about some Grail dolls that I probably had a higher chance of getting if I had the funds and the know-how back then. However, looking at the quality of the newer dolls from my favorite company and from other companies (resin quality, sculpts, face-ups, clothing, shoes, accessories, posing/standing ability, accessibility for international buyers, etc) compared to the older generation of BJDs, now is definitely better than before. Obviously, if there was a fire, I probably would grab my oldest ones versus my newer ones out of sentimental reasons, but again the quality of the newer ones are so evident that even to non-BJD collectors the newer ones seem "better." But yes, definitely felt the "gotta catch'em all" kind of feeling back in my newbie days.:sweat

7. Haha love that quote, gotta catch em all! Perfect to describe how I've been feeling since discovering bjds :XD: I just want so many lol :love

8. Yes. I would get more rare old floating heads. :lol:

9. I wanted to get into the hobby when I was around sixteen. There were a lot of cute sculpts at the time that I wish I had now! They're not available anymore.:( BJD's are expensive so there's no way I could have bought one at that time. My mom would have had a heart attack if she saw the price of a 1/3 SD!

10. I got in, in Jan of 2007, I don't think I would have the variety then as now. I wish I had done more research and had found YouTube and more forums to discuss the pros and cons of certain companies. I also would have wanted to go to more meet ups just to look, talk and understand the different types of dolls. I dove in fast and I regret many I bought, and many I sold to buy those I would regret. If I had the funds I would gladly give away those I regret having and get back those I so want back.

11. Not really. If I did I would only have wished for maybe a year earlier. I did not miss out on any rare discontinued sculpts by joining when I did. At least not any I feel like I need! Many have been discontinued since then that I kinda wish I grabbed one or two of. I also was between middle and high school when I discovered them so I wouldn't have had more money making options earlier either. But I do wish a little because I would have been able to enjoy this hobby that much longer. It's been very fun

12. I feel you so bad lol
      I got to know BJDs when I was just a young teen and had craved for one for sooo long until 2017 when I got my first (and only one atm) and I loved him dearly but had to temporarily leave the hobby due to reasons.
      Now I'm back and I wish I hadn't left/started earlier because I feel like I missed so many joys and opportunities...

13. I'm actually really glad I dabbled in BJDs for only a little bit back then. After taking a long break, there's so much more new things now that I really like! It seems the community is way bigger and more is available than what I remember. Also, not being financially dependent helps give me freedom, haha.

14. Honestly no, because if I had, I feel like I would’ve had to give up the majority of my collection when I got divorced and couldn’t take all of my belongings with me, because of space issues. I lost so much when that happened, and I think if that would have happened to a BJD collection, as well, I would have given up on the hobby then and there.

Instead, I got my first BJD about a month after my ex left me, as a gift from two lovely people in the hobby, and bjds became a beautiful, healing escape for me instead. <3

#74 dxgirly, Feb 9, 2022
      Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    15. Yes, I kinda wish I had discovered the hobby a couple of years earlier.

As I would have still been a university student and had less disposable income. I think this would have allowed me to explore the hobby more, before buying my first bjd. But I don't regret anything, so maybe my timing is fine :3nodding:

16. I knew about BJDs since I was in middle school (many moons ago), but I didn't buy my first BJD until 2018. There was a lot of awesome stuff I missed out on. While I've effectively missed the window for ever getting my hands on a Volks DD Chii, I also had 1) super limited funds and 2) completely different taste than I do now. I wouldn't have been happy with what I'd be able to get, and what I'd be able to get I wouldn't find myself wanting anymore. How does that saying go again? The best time to start was yesterday, the next best time is now. :lol: I think that's pretty accurate for BJD. There's so much you've missed out on but even more you'll have to look forward to.

17. I really couldn't have gotten into the hobby any earlier than I did. I wouldn't have been able to afford it! Still, it would be nice if the 'ol CP Delfs were still around. I love Soony...

18. I feel like I got into the hobby just in time. I was able to get a couple dolls I wanted right before they were discontinued and became really hard to find.
      With limited dolls and companies changing or shutting down, I can imagine how someone may wish they had gotten into BJDs sooner. I would feel this way if I had missed out on some of my favorites.

19. All in all, I think I got in at the perfect time for me. I joined DoA in 2006, the same day I learned about BJD. I started collecting right away and learned all about hunting for sculpts, researching, developing characters, and buying and selling to refine my tastes. Along came 2010, and Dollzone released their Anson (my avatar). She was an absolute epiphany! I knew enough by then to move heaven and earth to order her immediately (she was suddenly discontinued without warning only 3 months later,) And once she arrived, I had enough experience behind me to realize I needed to completely rebuild my collection around her, so I sold off all the rest, and began anew. I’ve been 100% happy with my collection ever since! But had I not had those few years of experience prior, I would never have had the confidence and know-how to take such decisive action when it was needed.

20. Definitely! I was traveling to Japan with a friend once before I got into the hobby, I was soooo close to a volks store but I didn’t even peak inside! Now I’m so regret, ahhh!