1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are ball joints ugly?

Sep 30, 2008

1. I don't find them ugly or strange. In fact most of the time I forget that they are even there. Using ball joints makes a BJD a BJD really.

2. Okay, SOME joints are really ugly. Really. Specifically double-jointed dolls can have some really bad looking joints, but it's like the only way to make the doll so poseable. I don't mind joints, but if the doll just looks robotic and unnatural because of them... I'm not attracted to that.

3. No no no no no!! That "19th century body" is all part of its charm! I would be so sad if they were any different.
      It would be a Barbie. >.<

4. I adore the ball joints in them since it was part of the point of them in the first place. I like that they have a semi-realistic look to them, but are still dolls and have the joints to show it. Part of the challenge with them is working around those joints - both in photography and in real life and it's fun for me.

I actually kind of get disappointed when I see newer dolls coming out without the ball joint, takes away some of the appeal for me. I guess it's one of those personal preference things really, some people are going to like them, others won't - for me I definitely do =3

5. b-but i like the joints! ;D;
      to me there what keeps BJDs in a league of their own >3<
      your friend needs to understand that people like stuff that may be different from theirs. most of my friends think that ABJDs look like "evil barbies". it just makes me laugh.

6. yes. Sorry, but that's why I get full length clothes, I hate the look of the joints >.<

7. I personally like ball joints, they look cool ^^
      your friend has the right to have his opinion and so do you, just try to ignore him and remember that your opinion is the only one that should matter to you ^^

8. I don't mind the look of the joints. The joints are what makes these dolls special. I think that if someone does not care for the joints they can always be covered up by clothes or photoshopped.

9. I personally love the joints, and don't think the dolls would be the same without them. I've never once thought they were ugly, or intentionally covered them up (well apart from when a doll is doing a kneeling pose for a photo or something, and the joint pops).

I can sort of see why your friend might think that if he has lots of technology based hobbies, but considering this is supposed to be a kind of art, applying the same logic is kind of silly.

10. I think that joints are very neat looking, and would never try to hide them on purpose. They're very charming.

Sorry you were attacked. If it bugs him, then he shouldn't get one! So there. :)

11. the first time i saw a BJD,i thought that the ball joint seems to be too obvious and a little ugly....but now im used to it.... after owning some BJDs,they look pretty natural to me.

12. I never found them to be ugly at all, in fact I like they way they look. Thought they were neat and unique looking, a charming point to them really. :3

13. I had a hard time getting over the ball joints when I first got my doll. I wished the would be covered up more. I keep my dolls in long sleeves and socks with their dresses. My husband and I were just talking about this the other day. I know they make body suits, but I don't want that. I love the poseablity of the joints but I just am not to fond of the look. I think they look more realistic covered up. I feel bad for saying that because I love my girls to death. Honestly, I don't really notice the joints anymore and I just accept them as they are part of my dolls.

14. when I first saw bjds I didn't like the slots in the ball joints..thought it was ugly..but now I don't notice them....

15. As a matter of fact, I totally understand your friend. When I started to see pictures of bjd, I was always staring a the joints, never missing them, and wondering why don't people cover them more up with long clothes.
      And when I see joints, I always think "Joints over there!" xD I don't find them ugly anymore, it just remembers me that they are still dolls, and not human.
      And I really like it that way. :)

16. For some reason, the joints give them realism to me.

It's backwards, I'm sure, to think that way... but I don't think I'd much like a doll without them. They wouldn't pose worth anything unless they were made out of a soft synthetic material that would squish and get dirty much faster....

I like my dolls being able to stand and not feeling like a soggy sack of jell-o. ^____^

:aheartbea
      (all in love)

17. I really like them! bjds are never going to look entirely real even without visible joints &#8211; so there&#8217;s no point worrying about that &#8211; people know they are dolls and they are still pretty with the joints &#8211; I think they make them more interesting.:)

18. I can't say I "love" the bulkier looking joints on some dolls. My GF and I were surprised when we saw how large her Mythdoll's joints were in comparison to my Dollzone's. They looked funny then after. Not atrocious, just off. I happen to like the dolls with joints that are not circular. The more realistic ones, I believe they are referred as. Especially the knees on females with them. They look so nice when they are more pill shaped rather than circular. Maybe just because I tend to be more fond of the realistic dolls as a general rule of thumb, maybe not.

I think the idea of the three piece abdomen is amazing. If you want to consider that some-what like a joint, then I do adore that. Having the ability to play with my GFs 70cm boy's pelvis and abdominal movement is hours of entertaining for me. Simply being much more natural than a big break in the center of the body where a human being does not generally bend at (At least not much anyway.)

I think that the joints are nice. Maybe not beautiful, but they sure helpful when drawing a human outline with the doll as a reference. There is an appeal there somewhere, however, I can't quite explain just what that appeal is. It would be too vague to say "love" and certainly close-ended to say that I "hate" them.

19. The fact that the joints were on show were the first thing I fell in love with about BJD. How something so very beautiful could have doll-joints showing and, in my opinion, be no less beautiful, was what really made me notice. Ball-joints and beauty, that's it for me!
      It really is opinion, though, just like different people find different characteristics attractive.

20. i like how its like, you look at the dolls face, and theyre telling you, 'oh yes, i'm real....' and then you look down at the body, 'oops, i guess im not...but i'm yours."

EeEeE all mine!

*cough* sorry...