1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are dolls like family or like toys?

Aug 5, 2011

1. My dolls are only toys for collecting :D
      I cannot play with them xD
      But i like to make photos of them^^

2. For me, dolls are... a bit of an in-between. They're not quite family and not simply 'toys'... since they have sentimental value to them, and you pour your heart and soul in creating their character, saving, budgeting and purchasing them- A lot of work is derived from doing so.

3. I can't say my dolls are my family but they aren't just toys. For me, it's like an escape, I can relax and forget a little bit of my problems while I'm changing clothing and taking picture of them.

4. My family is a doll family.My mom and uncle both have dolls. My dolls are more like friends to me,because it's hard for me to make friends.:pout:

5. BJDs are definitely special to me. There's the awareness that my doll is a doll, but I don't view her as a toy, or necessarily a real family member. She's a doll that's familial in the way of companionship, and there's also the pride and love as an artist I have for putting time and effort into customizing her and appreciating her. I think BJD owners actually respect their dolls and it makes a huge difference.

6. Definitely not just toys, but I don't think of them as family. My doll is precious to me and I love her dearly, but I know that she's an object.

7. Dolls are definitely not family as they are not living breathing objects. Whether they are toys or not I think is a question of imagination. For the people who have dolls with a character which is previously developed or develops over time, dolls are much more than mere toys. An object that has a 'personality' or character is more than just an object. They are certainly more than an object in any case because I believe there is a natural affinity in humans with anything of humanoid form especially if that humanoid form is small, like a baby. A chair is an object, dolls are much more and the proof is in the reaction some members have had from friends, acquaintances or family. Would a chair invoke such reactions in people? I doubt it.

8. A mix of both for me. I know they are just dolls, but it's nice to have them to vent to, or just ramble on about nonsense too. They wont think I am weird, because they can't really think or say anything. I will admit I haven sat down and watched movies or anime with them when I have no one else to watch things with, so they are kind of like little 'friends'.

9. Not family, not toys, not decorations.

They are just dolls, I would never go out of my way for them, I would never think of them in an emergency, so not Family. However they are more then toys, and more then decorations. They are the first "luxury" item I would take if I had time to gather stuff and we had to leave for some reason, so they matter more to me then other items, even my art and computer, just not at the same level as my family or stuff that can keep them safe, comfortable, and happy.

10. I'd say dolls are art, they are an expression of the creative soul of the owner and the sculptor. They are not living beings, and thus I can't see them as family, but saying they are "just toys" seems very crude. As works of art they, in a way, contain the unique soul of their owner or creator. You can't look at a beautiful painting and proclaim that's just some paint on a canvas, and neither do you say the people or the landscape in that painting are there for real. For me, dolls are the same as a beautiful painting, or sculpture, or musical piece.

11. neither family or toys for me - they're like companion pets - which are often regarded as family and/or toys I guess! Animals are too much responsibility for me though, so my dolls fill that gap :kitty2

12. I'd say my doll is definitely in a limbo between the two. I always get so sentimental with my toys so they usually end up being more to me than just toys- but I wouldn't go as far to say that my toys can be elevated to family. Perhaps my doll is a close friend? I'm not sure how to describe it really but my doll is definitely important to me :)

13. @ShyOracle definitely agree with you on them being in limbo. They're somewhere between I feel like. I obviously understand that they are not people, they are inanimate objects, but they mean more to me than a lot of my other possessions. In a fire I would obviously save my husband first, dogs second, and then if I had a chance I feel like I would save my dolls next. I can't think of anything else I own that I would go for first. So I guess, they're obviously not family, but they're still not just "toys". They're more than that. They're a collective piece of art that holds a sentimental value to me, and I value them as more than just simple toys.

14. Neither, they're like art. They ARE art!

15. While my dolls are all based on OCs that I consider a sort of family in an unconventional sense, I don't feel like either "toys" or "family" is the appropriate word for how I feel about my actual dolls. I think I see them as artistic canvases, with how customizable they are and the creativity they inspire.

16. On a superficial level, they are like toys, small human figures that can be played with. But they are also pieces of art that were sculpted, cast, and often customized by their owners. They are far more precious to me than the off-topic dolls I own. They all have names, characters, and stories. I put a lot of time and energy into making them clothes. Changing their clothes and posing them often helps my feel better when I feel depressed. I wouldn't get so attached to them if they were "just toys". Mine are also mostly LE or from doll lines that have been discontinued. That makes them much harder to replace.

To me they are both creative focal points, and a kind of friend who is always there, never judges me, and makes me happy. The ones that will get sold are the ones that no longer inspire me or make me happy.

17. theyre like my little silent buddies just chilling around all day. i call them the dude crew.

18. My dolls are basically toys and I'd never have the same deep emotional bond with them like I have with my family/friends. But my dolls are very important to me and I'd be very sad if something bad happened to them... well in this case I could still replace them I guess.

19. Neither term really fits particularly well. Somewhere in between is more accurate; they mean the world to me, but are no replacement for human companionship.

20. They're a bit of both! Just because of the big price, it's definitely a toy or a luxury item. Although, once obtained it certain is like family. You treat the doll as if it's your child by taking care of how they look by dressing them up or cleaning them. You make sure they're in perfect condition and handle them with care. It may be because of that price tag but I feel people would do this regardless!