1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are dolls therapeutic?

Dec 23, 2016

1. yes! i love to look at my one doll, she's so pretty! my dolls bring me comfort. if i'm feeling down i wrap up a barbie and carry her around in my purse

2. My dolls are therapeutic right now. Normally they are just art objects and glorified toys that I collected for sketching and sewing's sake, but after my mom got killed this summer, my sibling fell off the wagon and back into rehab, AND my spouse's deployment got extended over the holidays and into next year, they got a lot more comforting to have around. These forums were literally the only place where I was safe from more funeral/estate demands or family issues, which is probably why my reasons for owning dolls changed completely.

I was on a doll-buying hiatus and broke it with a vengeance (without going into debt, mind you), but that's better than drugs, right? :) This isn't meant to sound like a "woe is me" post, but I went from being the detached collector of plastic people-shapes to someone who wants to make living, breathing characters out of all of them. Having things around that make no demands of me right now is very therapeutic. Sorry, that got a little long.

3. I have severe chronic general anxiety disorder and am on the autistic spectrum. When I received my first doll, Zenith, he turned into my therapy doll. He's my second personality of sorts. When I can't speak about something, Zenith speaks for me. If I'm having a really hard time coping, or stimming isn't giving me the satisfaction I need, I'll take Zenith out of the bedroom and place him beside me so I can talk to him or hold him while doing other things. I have not found nearly as much relief from other therapies as I have when working with BJDs. My other doll doesn't give me quite as much de-stressing as Zenith does, probably because he wasn't my first, but sewing things for him and making things like BJD jewelry and such is still quite soothing.

Zenith is normally the face I take on social media now, as he gives me much more confidence. Even something as simple as "What would Zenith do?" or "What would Zenith say?" when stressing about taking action is enough to relieve me of my anxiety for a time. I use his character's personality and interests to help boost my own self-esteem and confidence in daily life.

4. The hobby has been extremely theraputic for me. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety, so my dolls are something to keep me company and provide a distraction from unpleasant circumstances. I use my dolls as characters in my current novel.
      My novel and my dolls are some of the few things that keep me going, they give me something to look forward to.

#24 A_Grand_Leaf, Dec 30, 2016
      Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    5. @Saphariel OMG I'm so sorry about your loss and all you're being through. I'm really glad you find relief on your dolls. This can be an expensive hobby, but as you said, it's not bad for your health, you're not in debt, and it's helping, so it's ok ;) I really hope your situation gets better, cheers!
      @Little Lu That makes so much sense :) Dolls are so human-like, even the fantasy or animetic ones, that they must be very useful to express your emotions and thoughts. It's very sweet that you have such a strong bond with Zenith, sometimes I feel a bit envious because I "don't love my doll as much as other people love theirs". I think sometimes the best therapy is finding your own therapy, I'm happy that you found yours, and if it's doll related, double fun! :D

6. My dolls help me cope with anxiety and depression. I find fixing their hair, trying new outfits on them, and posing them very therapeutic.

7. Yes, to me anyways. My first doll had arrived the day after I left a job where I was abused/harassed, and the depression and anxiety had definitely eased up with him (I had ordered him over a month before I left the job). Sometimes I find myself playing with my dolls or planning dolls or just browsing them when I'm stressed.

Technically speaking, in general (not just BJD) dolls are seen to be therapeutic. Alot of people collect reborn dolls for this reason - people who have lost children or can't have their own collect them and it helps them cope, as well as older people (using dolls as therapy for elderly people is not uncommon). I know some people look at BJDs the same way. Some people use the dolls as an outlet to get expression out. As with the reborn dolls, sometimes just holding them or playing with them soothes you. I'm sure there is probably some study somewhere explaining the science behind it, but it really does help.

8. Yes. I can chat with Rini. I have anxiety and depression disorder. I do take meds but sometimes l find chat, taking photos, making things helps.

9. Definitely!
      I have anxiety and my brain is constantly trying to overreact to the stupidest things, especially when I'm alone. But my bjds seem to help me calm down a lot if I'm fretting!
      Of course, like anyone else, I like fussing over their wigs and etc, but even just sitting quietly with a doll is relaxing.:3nodding:

10. Loving this discussion topic!
      I definitely believe its therapeutic. I'm going to reveal something deep, but all through my young life I was told that I was ugly and was always overshadowed by my other "prettier" members of my family. And not only that, I've kind of had to live an "ugly" life; I've seen a lot of "ugly" things within my family and its kind of messed up and full of "ugly" situations. It put a lot of stress on me because everyone put too much reliance on me to help with this and that. I took to drawing a lot when I was younger and mostly drew beautiful things like landscapes and people. I also played video games a lot as an escape. And now, I have some dolls and I love to look at them and dress them up because they are the beautiful things I can escape to. I don't face much of the ugly any more in my family life as I'm an adult now and I kind of out grew my ugliness :p Even though I'm a lot happier now, there's no way I'm going to stop collecting and loving my dolls :aheartbea

11. I would say yes they offer therapeutic relief. For me as a long time doll collector, I have always had a love for my dolls. They gave me a sense of creativity and an escape into the world of imagination. I lost my husband last year and mind you he was young and it was unexpected. The dolls give me a sense of coping and escapism from the daily reality of living as a young widow. When I work and play with them, I am not worried or stressed or sad. They really help me cope and give me something else to put my attention and energies to other than work or my own real life children.

12. Well my therapist says it is. I live alone, and have very little family I am in contact with. I have never married and have no children. I am very lonely, and at times, extremely depressed. Sewing, doing faceups, making doll jewelry and wigs, and doing photography: these keep me very happily occupied. I try to go to as many doll meets as possible, as I am making a real effort to make new friends. Being around other BJD collectors is wonderful, it is so nice to have people to talk to who share my interests. Going to the meets is very rewarding. I get a lot of positive reinforcement for my sewing skills, and doll costumes.

13. I think so. I love seeing my creation come to life. Art has always been therepuric to me

14. I lost a friend to leukemia as a child and that loss still haunts me. It's like I have permanent grief. Just holding one of my dolls is comforting. As a childhood cancer survivor myself, I feel isolated by that. My dolls are like friends who are always there for me, understand me, and make no emotional demands from me. And they're pretty, and not too hard to make clothes for. Playing with them and redressing them is definitely therapeutic for me.

15. They are therapeutic for me. When my anxiety and depression gang up on me, dressing them and photographing them helps me calm down. Along with sewing and crafting for them, the hobby gives me an outlet for the creativity I can't express at work. :aheartbea

16. I think it really depends on the person. Last year I have a hard period in my life, and dolls were like switched off. I just ignored them all this time, as if all my emotions went to another place. So for me, dolls are not therapeutic, unfortunately.

17. I've said this before in another group on Facebook. My dolls are just as much my "babies" as my puppy and my boyfriend. I bought them to combat my loneliness, and it has worked thus far.However, since my puppy got here in mid November, I've had my hands full with him and have had to put my dolls away.
      My little puppy is extremely jealous and vindictive towards my dolls. I keep them in their boxes for their safety.
      It makes me sad, not being able to play with them. They talk to me and keep me company when I'm lonely. They comfort me when I am stressed or depressed. Making things for them fills me with pride and joy.
      My dolls are extremely therapeutic to me...maybe that's why I'm so addicted.

18. This is an interesting topic as I got asked about this a while ago. I think dolls can be therapeutic. I've seen people put their problems on a doll or use it as something that gives them hope or power like with stories and such.
      I'd like to have a doll present my inner self, I've been mentally abused, depressed, suicidal, anxious, delusional, paranoid.. I can't always express how I feel so maybe I can show it. I mean I'm in a better place nowadays but would just like to put all those bad things away in a doll form as reminder that things can get better or that I'm not alone. :)

19. I know dolls can be pretty therapeutic to some, but have you ever purchased a doll, whose sole purpose is (or was) to be used as therapy for you? Or have you considered it?

How did it go? - Did it last?/What are your thoughts?

I know it is not a hobby that is very money-friendly. So purchasing a doll, with intent on being therapeutic, could be a hit and miss if you do not click/bond with it or if the sculpt ends up not working for you, and so on.
      I find myself wondering about if a specific doll would help me, but I also wonder if it is just some (unnecessary) excuse/justification tactics to get a new doll. :sweat
      So mostly I am just curious.

20. I do have a therapy doll I am currently working on. It started as a fleshed out character first and has been for about a year before I decided to purchase the doll. Whenever I'd need some calming down I'd just draw the character.

I went and purchased a doll for the purpose of re-crafting it to fit that character, so I guess it qualifies.
      Now that I have the doll and am working on getting it to look like the character, even having the weighted doll there is so calming and soothing to me, so it's working out. Idk if you'd want to do some mental prep like I did before making the decision, or if it might just feel right. But it's working out amazingly.