1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are dolls therapeutic?

Dec 23, 2016

1. During the worst time in my life I bought a few dolls. The only reason was because the dolls where one of the few things keeping me from complete despair. I had way more money then I do now, so money wasn't an issue. ...but life was worse back then anyway, The dolls helped me though and I'm glad I got in to this hobby just for that, but also because I still enjoy it! I may have less money now, but selling some of my old dolls meant I could get a few new ones. I'm way happier now, but I still find the dolls help me out by bringing a smile to my face when I'm a bit down.

2. I think the creative side of the hobby is therapeutic. It distracts you and keeps you busy. Life is a little tough on my mental well being and sense of self, and I just wanted to imagine someone happy and relaxed and create that world for them.

#42 ella_tron, Feb 26, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    3. Some mental disorders are chronic, and untreatable by medicine. I don't know if my elves are therapeutic persay, but they keep me busy and out of trouble.

4. A vendor at the local doll show said there is something very comforting about holding a small dressed doll in your hands, and I agree. I take a Pipos Vanilla Ringo with me everywhere for that purpose.

5. Interacting with dolls is calming and relaxing to me. Probably the most engrossing activity in my life.

6. My doll wasn't purchased specifically as a therapy doll, but he is very therapeutic. I find it very calming to dress him or just pose him, and it gives me something to focus on and put time into instead of letting my mind get the best of me.

7. I got into BJDS after my mother died. I didnt realize it at the time, but they certainly helped me focus on things other than the stuff that was going on around me and generally helped me learn new skills rather than just sit and wallow. Right now I'm improving my face ups and trying my hand at wig making as well as trying to improve my sewing, all of which can be considered therapeutic so dolls as therapy works relatively well in my case.

8. I find most crafts therapeutic for my anxiety and depression. I want to get into this hobby so I have more excuses to craft. I just love the thought of being able to make small clothes and props for my characters. I have characters fully fleshed out in my head and I draw them on occasion but I just really want to see them in 'person' if that makes sense.

9. I didn't choose my dolls as therapy, but there is definitely something very therapeutic about having them around and interacting with them. Also, knitting is my therapy, calming and relaxing me after a stressful day at work, and having the dolls gives me something else I can design patterns and knit for!

10. Actually yes -
      Last year I've gotten my Jack the Ripper and because I was qualified by the Easter event - I've got a 13cms bjd. She's very small, and she fits into shirt pockets or just in my palm. I got her for free and I already have an idea for her future, so I really don't mind her getting dirty or being exposed to the sun, making her a perfect companion.

I tend to take her anywhere I can, even if I won't be able to actually hold her, because playing with joints helps me through dissociative episodes, and the texture or resin soothes me in general.

If I'm home, however, I prefer my MSD because he's much heavier and his joints make much more sound.

I won't even start about activities around the dolls because I'm already rambling for too long - but I have to admit, I never thought BJDs would be so therapoetic.

11. My dolls weren't purchased for that purpose but they certainly function that way. Holding them, especially Angel (a Lati) helps ground me.

12. Yes, I definitely think they are. They're a great distraction from real world stress, and something for me to enjoy when I'm having a bad day. Sometimes when I feel like everything in life is going wrong, taking a break to focus on my dolls, or buying something for them can give me something exciting to look forward to.

13. I love knitting and making clothes for my dolls. It keeps a bit of money coming in for more dolls and also it is very therapeutic. It keeps me busy and I do enjoy dressing the dolls.

14. I think they can be. It fun to fiddle around with something pretty. They also help to open up lines of communication with hundreds of other people, and socializing can be another great de-stresser. I know this hobby can have some dark areas but overall I think dolls and the hobby are a positve thing.

15. It is very therapeutic for me. I have a lot of issues with PTSD and I use my dolls as my sanctuary. Im big into customizing and learning new tips and tricks for my dolls. I also love to play with them and photograph them. Or, if im having a bad day, Ill carry one with me. I guess you can say they are the same idea as a security blanket to me.

16. Hello! I'm not sure if this is going to sound silly, or if something like this has been posted before (i had a quick look, but being quite new I'm still not great with navigation!)

I was just wondering whether BJDs helped anyone else with their anxiety? Something about trying meticulously to pose them/style their hair etc seems really soothing.

Although i have to admit one of the original purposes of purchasing a bjd (sewing to help with anxiety/depression) hasn't worked out quite yet as i found making small clothes fiddly!

17. Hi. I am sorry you deal with anxiety/depression. I deal with both, too. My dolls do help, but not in the way I assumed they would. Most of mine are undressed, bald & dont have faceups, but just holding them & posing them around me is soothing. I even sleep with one. I hope as you spend more time with your bjds, that you discover new ways to receive comfort & joy from them.

18. Hello! Also anxiety/depression here, and posing for me never seems to relieve stress but acting out scenes does, and ince when I was having a minor breakdown, I curled around one of my girls and that helped a lot. Also writing about them is my main source of stress relief.

19. As other people say, they are as terapeutic as any other hobbie that gives you that accomplisment sense... however, at least for me there is something more in dolls. I don't know if it is because of their human-like form or the fact that we give them a character, but when I look at my dolls and hold them I feel like "they" are with me. It is not a feeling as strong as having another human being arround, but it is not as being completely alone either. My dolls definetely keep me company and that helps with my constant feeling of loneliness.

20. It’s much more calming in the sense I get to dress them up, and posing them. So yes I think it’s therapeutic ^_^