1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the BJDs rather for 'Old Children' (teenagers and adults) ???

Jan 15, 2006

1. Even more so, denying the fact that we have genitals creates an environment where children learn to be ashamed of their body ánd their sexuality. It's very healthy to teach them that a penis or a vagina is just as normal as a hand or a nose and I personally think it is our duty to raise our children in such a way that they feel comfortable with their own nakedness and that of others. I'm positive that teaching children this will not make them oversexed or traumatized, but denying them this part of their development will. Nudity does not equal sex.

2. Then that's fine.
      For your standards, and other peoples standards.

Some children do have a tendency to sexually mature at an alarmingly young age. I am aware of that,
      I've personally seen 3-4 cases where a child acts in a sexually inappropriate manner for their age, because of an exposure they were not ready for.

Soft peckers/dildos, are not toys, for the most part.
      They are a strap-on device to help with confidence among transgendered folks who are in a transitional period, and inadequate/injured folks. As far as I am aware...
      [Don't make me post a link :sigh I'm not talking about hard dildos BTW.]

lol. . .
      Reproductive organs are made specifically for the act of sex/reproductive procedures, thus they are sexual parts.
      Education is fine. Sex-Gender
      Material replicates are not a good idea to have around 24/7 IMO.
      Replicates usually depict what they were originated from, and again, Reproduction = sex, reproductive organs = the devices that make sex possible.

Majority of children can probably cope with the acknowledgment of 'different pee-pee's, others might be able to so well...
      I'm sure there's a smaller percentage of children that would probably perceive the organs in a different lights.

3. Whoa. Wait. Wait. Wait. There are people that equate an anatomically-correct doll with a sex-toy? :nowords:
      I just have no idea how to explain the real world to a mind like that. Or how to even start. This debate forum has officially jumped the shark. Good night.

4. I would say more on this matter, but that would be getting to off topic.

5. Yes absolutely! You put it perfectly! We should not be ashamed of our body or sexuality and hiding them will invoke it.

Hmm I sincerely doubt it was just because of that; it sounds as those they had some pyschological issues anyway. Sexual obsessions at a young age are common from extreme sexual exposure (as in abuse- not seeing a dollies peen) or because of some cognitive disorders. I could go on but again..off topic.

mmm not entirely accurate. The reproductive organs themselves are actually inside so our dolls don't have them. Penises and vaginas are also used for urinating not just sex. They also determine gender so we know if our El's are boys or girls (heheh j/k).

I love you Jenny.

I think that is best

6. That's a decent point.
      But I still wouldn't let a kid keep an anatomically correct
      human figure in their room, no matter what size it was.
      ^^

7. That would most likely be exposure of a different sort not simply seeing a nude doll--with out any other cues, a naked anatomically correct doll is just a naked doll and there is nothing sexual about it. I don't think the situation you described would actually apply to very many kids.

So sorry I misunderstood you (and no, links are not necessary)--though I would hope you can see why it would be an easy mistake to make. However, it's all really beside the point as abjds have nothing to do with either anyway unless the only thing you see about a doll is it's genitalia.

Well, actually, the parts we are all referring to are also used in the process of urination, plus simply having those parts doesn't mean that everyone's using them for sex all the time ;) They're a part of the human body no matter what you happen to be doing (or not doing as the case may be), and I'm dubious that a small child would even follow your line of reasoning as most children would be much more interested in the doll as a doll and not it's bits (unless a big deal gets made about it). Whatever novelty would be there would most likely wear off pretty quickly in favor of doing things like dressing them up, brushing their hair etc.

Well, not everyone is the same, but I think you're making it into a much bigger issue than it really is. I realize that people also have different standards (so you might be wondering why I bother to go on, but I want to say two last things: most dolly people, even those that choose to take risque doll photos do not equate abjds with sex, and usually seem to get annoyed when people do, so it's startling to hear some of this coming from a fellow abjd person.

Plus, I really think that society's (at least in this area of the globe) paranoia of anything relating to sex isn't healthy either. There are things that are not appropriate for kids and I'm all for kids not growing up too fast. However, this concern can get blown up to the point that people see all kinds of things as sexual when they simply aren't which leads to hiding the human body and denying the parts that people deem inappropriate. I worry that this type of protection actually sends a negative message about our own bodies, and in some ways shines a bigger spotlight on sex itself, since it becomes the reason we have to hide and fear our own bodies--it just does not strike me as a balanced way to view the human body or deal with sexuality.

8. While I don't think the genetalia has anything to do with the dolls not being suitable for children (there are those sexed newborns, & have been dolls that peeded & pooped for ages), in general I think the BJDs are marketed for an older group. Just think of all the warnings that would have to posted on them if they were aimed at children, breakable, small parts that could be swallowed, etc. They probably wouldn't pass the newly listed act of what & what not a child's item could contain either.

Some small clidren may be gentle with their toys but it seems the vast majority of today's choldren see toys as disposable objects & treat them that way, drangging their dolls around by the arm or hair, abandoning it in the yard, tossing them carelessly around the house, etc. BJDs definitely aren't made to hold up to this kind of mistreatment. Sure some adult collectors are less than careful with their dolls but in general do not indulge in the degree of destructiveness children do.

Not to date myself but I remember when $10 was a huge amount of money for a doll & if you were lucky enough to own one those dolls, you handled it with kid gloves, never exposing it to the weather, carefully packing away all the clothes after you played, gently cleaning the face & hair. It was an object to be treasured. Sure after 40-50 years most of these dolls show some wear & tear but they weren't completely destroyed as I've seen so many children do with their toys these days.

So no, I think the market audience for BJDs is decidely the old teens & adult collectors. And afterall, how many adults are going to indulge their little children with a doll that costs hundreds of dollars?

9. Because I still remember my own innocence before my age hit two digits in years....

I would have never, ever equated penis/nipples with sex. It was like, alien to me. Okay, maybe nipples. I figured there was a use for them at that age - but a penis? Was for peeing. And for my male friends (up to age of six) to run around and have "who can pee the furthest" contests and... compare, or something.

So I honestly find it really, really hard to understand how a dollie peen could ever "pervert" or "arouse sexuality in a child" unless they found it out from ANOTHER source. And having watched R-rated movies (They were about snowboarding! That's all I cared about, although the observation that the movie seemed to have had the ability to climb higher and higher on the bookshelf every day was puzzling) at a young age, I can tell you that it's really hard for a child to perceive - without an explicit explanation. Or "experience", as in sexual abuse or something along the lines, but I think in that case you'd have much bigger problems than doll genitalia. (I didn't clue in. Though I was left wondering why the lady and the mister were rolling around naked and making funny noises).

We as "grown ups" already possess that knowledge, so it's really hard to imagine a world perception with out it. But I still remember some of my thoughts on the matter, though now through the lens of "experience". So, in other words, doll genitalia would not be an issue with children.

I think it's mostly the price - though aren't there those dolls - "Teen Trends" or something? They're $100 a pop. So, it's not that big of an issue, either. I don't think BJDs are exclusively for a certain age... They're certainly marketed to a demographic, but like with all things, they don't have to stay within it. It's up to the parent to judge the responsibility awareness of their child and act accordingly.

10. Seriously...I'd rather have my kid have an immature tiny or something instead of having a Barbie that tells them their chests have to be big and that they have to wear miniskirts and have tiny waists for people to be attracted to them.

My dolls are pretty conservative...no short skirts, no low cut shirts...nothing provocative because that's the way I dress and how my beliefs are.

No I don't like risque doll photos but I CHOOSE not to look at them. I've had the CHOICE not to look at something since I was little...my parents weren't like "Hey Steph come watch this movie with us". I was allowed to watch rated R movies but I didn't always want to.

And technical things...women don't urinate out of their vaginas...they have a seperate urethra before the clitoris which is located in front of the vagina as well.

And no dildos aren't always strap on and they are used for MUCH MORE than for transfolk, lesbians, and people who have injuries.

The Stephopedia strikes again :D

11. I am studying child development in college right now and they have found no correlation of developing any psychological problems from anatomically correct dolls. Rather than "messing" with a child, dolls that have realistic body shapes help children develop better knowledge of of their sexual identity. They can relate to their own body in a healthy way. Seeing any BJD with sexual organs wouldn't be harmful to a child. If your doll is of course displayed in a lewd sexual position, obviously, that would be the main factor that would confuse a child.

I think these dolls are meant for anyone who loves them. There is no real age barrier. Many young children are fully capable of taking care of their possessions if they are taught to. I've seen adults treat their possessions like crap, so I wouldn't place any less trust in a young child.

Just my two cents worth for the day. :)

12. I personally think RoboDash has an issue with her own comfort level of genitals and perhaps this has sparked all this. I find when people, especially grown people speaking to other grown people, can't use proper names for things...ie 'bits' 'nono spots' and whatever it shows a discomfort in the subject matter. People tend to protect children from things that make they themselves uncomfortable.

And I have to lol at the amount of times 'soft pecker' has come up in this thread. For a group of mostly women...lots of soft peckers floating around. Hehe!

13. BJDs are generally for older peaple due to their costs and the customizing. If you as a parent/relative of a smaller child wanted to pay the price and assist with the doll, more power to you. I'd consider one for my niece or nephews if they were interested in mine. It could be a great bonding activity.

Honestly, a girl doll being visibly a girl down below is not a bad thing. A boy doll with a penis is not a bad thing. These are normal parts of our anatomy. How is a blank pelvis less scarring than a doll with the correct anatomy for its gender? I for a long time knew Ken was not really a boy, he had no penis. Barbie was scary, I knew my downstairs and her downstairs were nothing alike... I remember, you used to be able to get newborn baby dolls at toy shops that were anatomically correct. Not seen one in years, but I am sure there are still some available.

It's just the culture we live in that says:
      Anatomically correct? Sex toy! Nevermind if the doll is not portrayed sexually... A sweet tiny dressed like a normal child? If it has correct genitals it must be a sex toy.

Barbie and the Bratz, yes they have a very sensual appearance, but hey, look, no genitals! Can't be a sex toy. It's a kiddie toy!

14. As a lot have already stated, I agree.

I think they are for 'older kids', and it is a very money consuming precious hobby.
      Of course I've had the "does that doll have a penis!?" reaction, and I simply nod.

"Of course it does. So do boys."

-snickers- Also I don't think they are for younger children. I don't see what's wrong with letting one see it while being supervised.

But I don't know about some of you, but have you seen what little kids do to barbies?
      They either rip off the arms, cut the dolls hair from playing barber shop, or draw on them.

Then again these are the little kids.

Now I don't see what's wrong with 13+. My boyfriend's sister is in love with my dolls, and she still plays with barbies. Though she understands how fragile these are. She loves posing my dolls and taking photos of them. She's a great photographer!

15. See this is where I tend to agree with what most people are saying about resin children. Being anatomically correct isn't and shouldn't be an issue. It's natural and a fact of life. I mean yes, children are curious but really even if they did have one of these dolls (and are old enough to know not to break it) I don't think it'd be an issue. :)

I do think they're for 'older children' just because they are fragile and sometimes hard to take care of (re stringing etc....) I'm 20 and only got my first bjd this year :)

16. I'm not prude, if that's what you think, lmfao.
      The human body is fine IMO.
      Education is fine.

I suppose because of the way I was raised
      I feel as though; just because a child is aware
      of what some thing is, does not mean they can own it.
      *shrug* ^^

17. According to Volks, Super Dollfies are for ages 15 and up. I can totally see that, for a variety of reasons. Most of all, it depends on the age at which one can take care of and be responsible for "nice things."

In my home state, you can drive by yourself at 15. If you're old enough to be responsible for a car, I would hope you can be responsible with a doll. Yeah, not always the case, but ... I think it's the lowest setting for that particular bar. Older is better, but about 15 as a starting point sounds good for me.

The nekkid thing is just ridiculousness. Who cares if the doll has boybits or girlbits? When I was a kid, Barbie had a very clearly defined mons pubis. (I think more recently they started molding underwear onto her.) No one died or fainted or turned gay or whatever else someone thinks will happen if toys have "bits." Besides, my dolls are hardly ever naked. I honestly never really think about their bits even when I change them. Maybe if Ken had come "fully equipped" more people would just shrug and say "whatever" at the idea of dolly peen. I dunno.

18. I think, perhaps, if it was a cheaper doll, a smaller one, and my child had shown that they were not destructive with their toys, I would most likely get them one. :) Sure, there's the risk of getting pinched by the joints, but most children are rather smart! If you tell them how to properly play with and take care of a BJD I think they'd do just fine with it!

Also, when it comes to genitalia, I don't think it's a bad thing at all for dolls to be anatomically correct, even in a child's hands. I remember seeing 'Look Who's Talking' when I was very young and, despite everything in that, which my parents explained to me, I don't think it impacted me in a negative way at all. I'm very appreciative of how beautiful the human body is and don't automatically associate a penis or a vagina with sex. That just seems so awkward to me. :sweat

I'd like to mention that owning something with accurate genitalia is absolutely nothing like having a sex toy present in your home. Technically, a lot of animal figurines have implied genitalia, and that doesn't affect children negatively. In fact, I think it would make them less embarrassed by and more appreciative of the human figure. I mean, it's not even detailed! Just kind of an extra lump of resin. There's far more things in the world that negatively impact children than a doll penis.

Really, I would LOVE to share this hobby with my children, should I ever have them. Oh, and to all the lesbians out there, having two mothers does not negatively effect children in any way! My mother and her partner were very kind, nurturing parents, and I grew up just like everyone else. Sorry, got side-tracked. :sweat . But, yes, I think it would be amazing to share a hobby with your child. That's missing in so many parent/child relationships that I think that a child who can actually participate in their parent's hobby so they can spend time together is wonderful for their development. It can create such an amazing bond, and a long lasting one. :)

19. i find it extremely sad that some people have problems with children seeing anatomically correct dolls.

anatomically correct baby dolls have existed in europe and other countries for decades, i know because my aunt brought me one from germany for christmas one year when i was really little. i thought nothing of it, i had a vagina, my doll had a vagina. it was just any other baby doll to me. i grew up watching medical birth shows on tlc and the discovery health channel with my mum because i found them extremely interesting. no one ever went into great detail about sex when i was young, but i never got the crap about the "stork" either. "babies come from their mum's uterus" i was perfectly happy with that answer, and so are most other kids at that age. did i grow up to be a slut or sexually active at an early age? no.

but back on topic, if i ever adopt a kid and they are into BJDs, of course i will try to get them one. it really is not that big of a deal.

20. I think younger children (4 and up) would need help with the dolls, because they are under a lot of tension, and even an msd can snap you if you are trying to remove the head. I wouldn't give anyone under 4 a resin doll just because it's not a safe thing to chew on, there are small parts, and even a reasonable child can have a "moment" where they want to store an eye for a moment while they are changing something..in their mouth. Kids over 8 can probably manage most of the hobby, though they still might need a hand with restringing (it's a two people job). As for genitalia, apparently this is some US hangup. Most kids look, nod, and move on to "Hey,the hands can hold stuff!" Or "I can put a snail in it's head!!"
      (Which is why you might hold off on the Volks until they are teens;-)