1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the BJDs rather for 'Old Children' (teenagers and adults) ???

Jan 15, 2006

1. It all depends on the kid.
      If they know how to take care
      of it and knows the true value of the
      doll then sure.But if a kid doesn't know anything
      and just goes crazy with it then no.

I personally think BJD's could be for kids 11+

but as I said it all really depends on the kid.

Edit -daha I already posted on this thread XD

2. Depends on the kid. When I was a preschooler we had a shelf full of statues that survived until my little sister arrived. My one little cousin seems to think dolls live on the floor and enjoy hand to hand combat when they aren't flying, the other I can see having a quiet time and understanding what dolls would break and what ones wouldn't.

I think as long as the dolls are scared to meet a child they shouldn't.

3. I second the first part of this, nudity won't damage a kid, kids don't even notice nudity until they're taught that it's something to take notice of. And kids can definitely tell what's what... kids would die if they couldn't tell real from not-real. >_<;; Don't you guys remember being kids?

As for the question of cost and delicacy... I think it's the same as with normal dolls, like china dolls. My friend had a shelf of china dolls when we were little kids and she said we weren't allowed to play with them because they were just for looking at, and so we never did. And I had delicate things when I was young, too, like glass animals. So I think a kid can have a BJD if they just learn that it's not the same as other toys. (And anyway resin is actually a lot more durable than traditional art-doll materials like china.)

4. My 4 yr old has taken over my DZ BB Ani as her own doll. She mostly just wraps her up in blankets and holds her. She has to be somewhat supervised when she plays with my Ani, isn't allowed to take her outside or give her a bath, or any of the other things I let her do with her baby dolls. The doll is stored with my other dolls and not her toys, and she has to ask me to play with it. She knows that Ani is a special toy and she has to be very careful with her. BJDs are more durable than porcelain dolls, but still delicate and expensive enough that I wouldn't let my daughter do whatever she wants with one just yet. When she's old enough to play with one and not want to treat it like a $5 barbie, then I'll let her truly keep it as her own doll.

My son on the other hand likes to throw things. He has his own baby dolls, then will decide the baby want to go flying and start throwing it around. He is not allowed around my BJDs because of that. When he is older and more likely to be careful, I will let him have one if he wants it.

Depending on the individual child, I wouldn't say a kid is too young for a BJD strictly because of their age. Different doll boxes I have seen have said everything from 8+ to 15+. My daughter is old enough to gently play with one, but not old enough to own one. That being said, I think these dolls are more art and collectibles than simply toys. Because of that, I think they generally are for teens and adults. I think as a parent deciding whether or not you should let your kid have one really comes down to knowing your child.

As far as the whole gender thing, that has never really bothered me in terms of the dolls being around my kids. My daughter has a baby brother, so has been aware of the concept of "boy parts" and "girl parts" as is appropriate for her age since he was born.

Without getting too graphic, BJD genital anatomy isn't very realistic anyways. What they have is more representation of anatomy than how bodies really look. But maybe that's just me, I'm studying to work in the medical field, so I have to *really* know all aspects of human anatomy.

5. I got my first at 11, and I'm an artist. (was by then as well) ^__^ I really think it depends more on how you take care of them, because people vary greatly at those ages.
      I think BJDs are for everyone who can appreciate how artistic and wonderful they are and that they're not cheap dolls that you can bang around and submerge together with at bath before mommy comes to wash your hair. Srsly. XD

6. in america their are many teenage owners.. but i hear that in japan owners are almost exclusively adults

7. I think the main issue is playing too hard with a super expensive doll. Some kids would destroy the doll. Playing hard with your dolls as a child is fun and having the responsibility of treating your doll as carefully as a BJD requires could be restricting.

With that said I know that for myself I could have handled a BJD starting at around 11 years old. I never lost doll parts and I always put my dolls away safely and securely. I washed them every few months and took great care cleaning and maintaining their hair. My mother was able to sell my barbies because they were in such good shape after years of play. I think this was because in my house we did not receive many toys so the ones we had mattered.

In the end it depends on the kid.

8. I definitely think BJD's are for older people, a child who's only 6 doesn't understand how fragile these can be most of the time. In relation to dolls and age limits, there's a reason why we have cheaper barbies for them, so they can have fun dressing them and making up stories for them. Once you become older you have more appreciation for these kind of things. And I'll admit, seeing BJD's awakened the love I had for dolls as a kid, but now they have more value and reason. When I receive my BJD he'll be used for drawing purposes and to have a character come to life, and they are fun! And I'm not saying all small children couldn't handle a bjd, but I would only allow it after a certain age with supervision.

9. I showed my toddlers my doll naked and explained the body parts. I don't really think it's a big deal but maybe I am missing something? My husband freaked out when I told him one of the boys had touched her boobs. I really didn't think it was a big deal. (One of my boys is just fascinated with boobs in general, btw.)

I don't think the dolls are for small kids because of the price but under supervision I don't see any issue like moving them and trying to see what they are all about. I would wait till at least 16 before buying my kids any, if they were really interested. I don't think they would understand how to take care of them or how much responsibility it would be. It's a large amount of money to buy something for a child that may lose interest.

My issue with our response how it's all about money and the kids wouldn't get that... I am sure there are some people that have super rich parents? So in that situation would it be okay for an 8 or 9 year old to have one? I don't know. Just thinking about the responses and my own.

10. That's a good question... Hmm... I think that it doesn't matter how Young a person is, as long as he/she treats the doll with respect, just like we normally do. I don't really see Dolls as "playthings" in the same sense as kids playing with stuff... I helped my sister-in-law order her first doll when she was 11, but she also really cares about her things. ^^

11. Really depends on the kid. I tend to think of them as 'grown-up toys' all in all but if a child knows how to take care of them and likes them enough I see no reason why they should be barred from owning them. They just need to understand that they're not like their regular playthings but more of a cross between a toy and an artist sculpture, as soon as they understand this I'm sure they can be taught how to properly care for them.

12. BJDs are fragile and expensive, so yes a certain maturity is required and a certain budget... The maturity will depend on the individual, and the budget usually comes when getting a job. ;) I never thought twice about showing my almost five year old a naked SD doll, she moved her arms around a bit and touched her face and she knows it is mommy's doll and she cannot play with it (of course I store my dolls out of reach), but I was not worried at all about "awakening" anything... In Belgium schools they already get explained the differences between men and women at 3, so a naked doll is no issue. ;)