1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are they really that fragile?

Feb 8, 2011

1. I accidentally had a pair of hands roll onto the floor before from more than 5 feet up, picked them up and they were just fine. Makes me think that the resin is actually pretty tough.

2. My doll fell out of a tree (long story) and survived without a scratch! But I still make a point of being extra careful with her.

3. My doll was dropped to the floor head-first when my little sister wanted to braid her hair... she got not a scratch. Then she was dropped another time, head first, when a girl borrowed her without asking, and still no scratch. My little sister's doll fell to the floor once when our cat bumped into her, and the doll was totally unharmed.
      At least they do withstand a lot more than I originally thought.
      Not for that, I'm still very careful with her, and am more careful to keep her away from younger kids.

4. I don't do anything too rough but....yeah, my dollie wasn't as fragile as I thought he was going to be. Actually he's one of the more sturdier things I have around here. ^-^;;;

5. I try to be super careful with my bjd, but just feeling by feeling her, I can tell that resin can withstand a bit.

6. No, truthfully the dolls are not nearly as fragile as most people make them out to be.

It's really a mix between the price tag and personal attachment/value that causes people to label them fragile. And of course there's all the horror stories that fuel our dolly nightmares.

People who don't own dolls just assume the fragility because they've never experienced handling one before. When my first tiny arrived, I swore it's little limbs were going to give at any second. Now, I can toss her from one side of the room into a waiting pile of fabric on the other without a second thought.

I keep my dolls in wonderful condition, and I still enjoy them fully because I've learned their reasonable limits and respect them.

7. No. I would try to keep it safe and stuff but not like barely hold it because Im too scared. Ill try not to throw them out the window or anything on purpose. They really can take some damage.

8. Each of my dolls has dropped, and nothin happened except that I got frightened to death :D of course they didn't fall that much, one of them was standing, another one sitting, and then dropped down about 50 cm. But I'm still afraid they might brake :|

9. I've only ever dropped my doll's headcap once. It bounced off the wooden floor, but thankfully nothing was damaged. It happened because the magnet came loose. >.< That's about it. I've heard of doll's getting their fingers broken, etc. They don't feel all that fragile and I'm pretty sure they're more prone to getting stains and scuff marks on them than getting their fingers broken or chipped, but it's always best to be extra careful. I never leave my dolls standing if I'm going to leave the room and I'm careful about putting them at the edge of tables and stuff.

10. I remember the first time I ever held a BJD. I heard the price and I automatically switched to "careful" mode. When I finally got my very own SD, he felt so huge and breakable.. It's been about 6 months now and he actually feels smaller to me, along with sturdier. I've heard so many horror stories about them falling on concrete and being perfectly fine! Their durability is really something to be impressed with. Still, I wouldn't make it a habit of dropping him every ten minutes...

11. I swear one of my dolls has shoved my SD boy before. I had them all standing in front of me on a work table when I first got my boy, looking at the resin color differences and just playing with them. I had him standing and went to put one of my girls in a standing position and she crumbled in to my arms and kicked him down. He was fine but his headcap went flying across the room.

They're not as fragile as they appear, but I am worried about my elf-eared dolls because their ears are so long.

12. to me i think the most fragile are pullips

13. I've dropped my dolls, held them by their arms while I walk, and once my dog tried to eat my boy doll (that's what I get for letting my niece in the house alone...) and they've always been fine. These dolls are tougher than advertised. Which is good, because that makes people take better care of them.

14. Before I actually got my doll, I always saw the posts that were like "Put bags over fingers when dressing to prevent snapping!" or "Wash hands before handling" and 'Never ever touch face-up."

I didn't purposefully test the limits of dolly-toughness, but I've accidentally rubbed (my skin and their clothes) over their face-ups, not washed my hands before playing, and ended up squeezing their hands into a tight sleeve, etc. Nothing bad happened.

Either I got lucky, or they aren't quite as fragile as I thought. ^^

15. They're nowhere near how fragile people think they are before they get them. :)
      Of course, if you have a heavily-modded, or OneOfAKind, fair enough careful you are very. I wouldn't throw my angel across the room -his wings would snap quite easily. But my mechanic (who I modded so he was less of a bishie and more of a... well, man) I probably could.
      They've all taken faceplants and one was dropped into a pot of tea (go on, ask me how :lol:), but so far, nothing has happened with damage that I didn't cause (messing up for example).

16. i dropped mine when it was in its box and he is fine hehe, i was so shocked i dropped him though >< i thought for sure he would have been damaged a little bit ! but he was fine!