1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we spoiled brats?

Jun 12, 2011

1. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      In a way. I've never spent so much on myself, and I worked hard to get it. I've wanted one since high school, and after being 3 years out of it, I decided to get one for myself, finally.

If you work hard for them...which I'm sure many of your have, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?
      Sometimes. I could have put that money toward a car, or maybe in a savings to get my own place. But since I wanted a doll so bad, and could get it right then, I went for the doll.

For people/children who's parents have bought all of your dolls, do you consider yourself spoiled?
      Not a question for me, but I would like to put in that I find it being spoiled if they hadn't worked for it in a way. Good grades and/or house chores. If it's a gift for a special occasion, that one thing, but if it's for just because, then it is spoiled had they not worked for it in a way and deserved it.

If you are from a wealthy nation, do you feel any guilt about owning a doll that costs hundreds of hundreds of dollars, when many people in the world live off a dollar a day?
      It'd be pretty heartless if you didn't. I make myself feel better by donating, though. Even if it is for the animals, I usually donate at least a dollar every time I go for pet food at PetSmart.

If you are from a poor/non-wealthy nation, and you own a doll...what is your opinion on the matter?
      -
      Lastly, Does anyone admit they are spoiled rotten? XD
      I admit I am spoiled sometimes. The things my parents give me (my dad, especially), I know I don't deserve some of the time. I usually ask for the bigger gifts on special occasions, like birthdays and Christmas, but other than that, I don't get BIG gifts out of nowhere.
      But I paid for this doll on my own, so in that sense, I don't feel it. I worked hard for the doll, and I'm glad I bought one. :3

2. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?

I am spoiling myself, and rewarding myself, every time I buy a doll. But I do it because I've earnt it.

If you work hard for them...which I'm sure many of your have, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?

I don't think that it's spoilt because, in the end, it's my decision. I know people who spend 4 times as much on a handbag, but because they worked hard on it, they earned it, I'm happy for them.

Money, I feel, is very relative. People spend what they WANT to spend on things. Value is in the product's end result on the person.

If you are from a wealthy nation, do you feel any guilt about owning a doll that costs hundreds of hundreds of dollars, when many people in the world live off a dollar a day?

I donate to worthy causes, but I'm also a realist. I can't save the world, and I won't forego my earned funds to donate ALL of my money to something at detriment to myself. I need to live, and strive for my happiness. And sometimes that involves splurging on a pretty resin gal or guy. Or creature ;)

I guess, in the end, I'm not spoilt, but grateful I can be part of such a creative and beautiful hobby. I think you should be happy with your decisions, and try to not let the opinion of another person upset you. I know that's not easy, but it's something that you'll face often in life.

Good on you for loving what you love, and I hope your resin pretties bring you lots of joy!

- Lauren :)

3. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Yes, a little. But then again, I'm entitled to a little bit of happiness every once and again. And if I'm spending my money, no one else really has a right to say I'm spoiled for it. If I had mommy and daddy buying me $5-6-700 dolls every week, then THAT is spoiled. But if once in great awhile I buy myself a doll for one or two hundred dollars because I need the pick-me-up or I feel like it's okay, then I think that's okay.

Oh, I consider what else I could spend the money on, and I prioritize. It's not spoiled if I worked for it.

For people/children who's parents have bought all of your dolls, do you consider yourself spoiled?
      No one has bought me all my dolls (as I only have one and I bought it myself with money I saved from working), but my boyfriend keeps insisting on buying one. He's never really bought me much, even for holidays. I always give him stuff, and I know that while it makes him happy, he feels a bit guilty for not being able to do it back. Now that he's working, he can afford it and wants to help me with my new hobby. ..I feel guilty, and I do kind of feel like he's spoiling me (buying something that expensive), but he wants to, and he'll do it whether I say "go ahead" or not.

No, I don't feel guilty for owning the doll. I do what I can, when I can to help. Owning a doll doesn't change that, no matter the cost, nor does it change what happens in other countries. I'm only one person, and I can't do it myself, no matter what I spend my money on.

Oh, I'm totally spoiled! It has nothing to do with possessions either. xD I do know the value of a dollar though. I lived with my mother, on welfare. The longest we stayed in one apartment was 2 years, before we couldn't afford it anymore. I grew up with little more than a roof over my head. However, I did have my father's side of the family upper-ish-middle class to be a safe respite for me. (Please note: I don't mean 'safe' because of money issues. It's an entirely different story.) I guess I kind of grew up in the in-between. <<;

4. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?

Yes and no. I had the unique luck to grow up in a family where my divorced parents came from two sides of the tracks. One has never had any money, and has always given gifts sparingly and the other has always been well...rich. I don't rely on my rich parent for money, I pay my own way, as I was taught to do by the less well off one. Yet I was also taught by my more wealthy parent that spending lots of money on something you really love and will treasure is not a waste. So yes I am spoiling myself for buying something just for me that has no purpose whats so ever other then that I enjoy it. Yet since I believe its cool to get something expensive if you really love it, no.

I live in the city and don't own a car, no need to around here and paying the extra city costs for parking and hiked up gas is kind of silly in my situation. But it did occur to me that the money I spent on a doll could pay for gas and parking passes and lots of other car related goodness.

Other then that not really. Furniture, groceries, bills, savings accounts, all that is taken care of BEFORE dolls so when the money is spent it's because it can be.

This is a tricky one. I don't think its so much an issue of owning a doll that costs hundreds as it is of buying any luxury item without giving back. As I do my part both here for the local poor and internationally, I don't feel so guilty buying something for myself. Depriving myself of buying anything for myself is not going to change the world. Though every now and then, I'll be honest, I feel a twinge of guilt, though over other things not my dolls.

5. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?

I actually do have moments of reflection that make me feel horrible. I DO feel like a spoiled brat as I have 2 dolls (2 also on the way. 4 all together) considering that there are months we struggle for food. I would not for a second hesitate to sell one of the dolls if our situation got dire...er... but I do feel guilty.
      They way my aunt sees it though is "You have saved and bought the doll, he/she's yours, you wont always have the chance to own such wonderful things so buy the doll. Don't feel bad." but I always feel bad if I over think it.

Nothing really, dolls are the only thing I would spend money one (other than essentials.) As I mentioned I feel bad when we're scrimping for food and such but I'm always told I'm being silly but I KNOW if I was outside the family looking in the doll thing would look ridiculous and illogical.

Well, yes I do. But not only in relation to places that have no money but there ARE poor people in the UK as well. People live on the streets, have £5 for a week's living etc. Compared to those poor souls my family is well off! It makes me feel horrible and usually when I over think I dont play with the doll for a while. :C At the end of the day they are dolls and while they're one of the few things that keep me happy they do bring a lot of doubt as well.

I'm not. I wish I was, but then I would feel even worse. I cant wait till I get a job so I can help out with paying for things.

6. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Not at all! There isn't any reason to if you save up your money and bust your butt over shipping costs.

No. I always consider what else I could get. Books I could borrow from the library/friends, figures that aren't as nice as dolls....

No.... -feels selfish ;n;-

Lastly,
      Does anyone admit they are spoiled rotten? XD
      Yes yes yes yes yes 8D Always have been, probably always will! XP

7. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?

Of course i feel like that! here in México buy one of theses dolls is the same like buying food for a month

i can use the money on buying clothes, gadgets, a new computer, school, gifts to my boyfriend, things like that, but most of all my money is in cosplay and anime conventions, so spend my money in things that "the normal people" consider a unnecessary is normal to me xD

I have the fortune when i was fifteen (is like sweet sixteen in México), my mother bought me a dollfie, so yeah in that time i felt super spoiled

México is a wealthy nation but only in certain places :/

If you are from a poor/non-wealthy nation, and you own a doll...what is your opinion on the matter?

See guys, I have been criticized A LOT for my love to this hobbie u_u and most of the time i feel guilty cuz i repite: one dollfie=food for a month, a burial, two months of school, even three monts of rent for a house, things like that for a normal mexican, my grandmother comes from a very humble family, and when she hear the price she said i was crazy xD! but now she tells me that if I work hard I can have the dolls I want, because she really likes the dollfes (in fact she makes me some clothes for dollfies :3)

Yeah, im very lucky!

8. I don't see how people call anyone spoiled, if they work for thing they want.
      "oh you're working hard to buy a house/car/better life? Well someone's spoiled!"=.= huh? what?

Sure, I guess I can use that money on something else but shouldn't the people who own rare trading cards, stamp, cabbage patch kid...ect use that money one something else too?
      This is a hobby. This is my thing. And I don't see much harm in self-rewarding/spoiling yourself every now and then. Matter of fact, I heard it's healthy! =)

I know people from not-so-wealthy country enjoy a little reward every now and than. My three cousins got iPhone3 w/o contract a year or two ago for graduating in top 5 of their class. They had to study hard for years to get that one item! ^^

Do you feel guilty about owning this doll?
      There are lot of thing I should feel guilty for having that other doesn't but that's why I would rather spend time Appreciating what I have instead. Being grateful for my life and everything/everyone in it! Even though it's not prefect, look at all the things I have!

If I'm going to spend time dwelling on guilt of having thing other don't...well that's a lot work you know. I have two legs, two arms, two eyes... so many things I have that other don't and going about mopping about it isn't going to make anyone feel better. So I join volunteer program instead. Not often but I do when I get the chance. Donate something, money, old clothes, stuff. Recycle(I had to add that lol) Make Myself Useful! Make use of what I have!

Though, I must admit, I am a bit spoiled. Like right now, I Really want this expensive camera, and I'm going to get it by working extra hours and spending less money on snack!

sry4anytypoitlatehere

9. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Like you, I waited years before buying my dolls. I've given up other items to be able to afford them as well. If I couldn't afford to buy them i wouldn't. I don't see it as spoiled at all.

What else could I spend it on? Pffhht. Why should I spend my money on anything I don't want to? That's not spoiled, maybe some would see it as selfish. Well they can kiss my "ahem". I have the money, I worked for it and I'll buy it.

I have food on my table everyday, sometimes I even pay others to make my food for me. Should I stop eating because others don't have food?

I am privaleged. That's it. I don't think I am spoiled being an adult and making my own decisions on what to spend and where to spend it.

Honestly I think your friend is just jealous.

10. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Yes. I have never bought something so expensive in my life! :sweat

Yes...and no. Maybe the word isn't spoiled but selfish. I don't normally like to buy things for myself so I feel a bit guilty about it but I felt like...for once, I can indulge in something. OTL

I would if I got any as gifts! I would never want someone to blow their money on me like that. If my parents were to get me something, which they never do, I'd hope it was practical so I could make the best use of it. Heck, my parents bought my brother a house and when my dad suggested buying me a house as well, my uncle got mad at him saying that he's spoiling me and my dad FREAKED out on him because he seriously, honestly, doesn't buy me anything. No clothes, no toys, no games, nothing when I was a child. So if my mom or dad got me a doll, I would feel sooo bad.

Yes I do. :...( I already feel guilty about the doll but it's sort of a mental health thing for myself right now. I don't want to feel worse! :(

I certainly feel like I spoiled myself now. xD

11. Obviously there is need here to understand what it means when someone says "Spoilt Brat(s)". This indicates that the person in question usually gets something without earning it themselves. In other words people who go "Gimme Gimme Gimme Mine Mine Mine!" (Short of selfish).

Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Absolutly not. I worked for my money and if I damn well wish to buy something with it its my own business. I do not travel overseas much nor do I buy expensive bags or clothes. I have savings and pay my own bills as well as my own place. If after all my expenses and savings I find that I have a little extra that I want to put aside for something I deem worth it, its really my own desicion.
      Answered above

Not if you value the doll. I know people who appreciate and value the things given to them and that is what matters.

Good question. However let me ask you this. When you live in a neighbourhood and say your house is the biggest of the lot, the only house with electricity and water and a big ass security system. Would you still, not use the utilities, turn off your security system and demolish part of your house just so you make your neighbours feel better? Of course not.
      I do my part for those in need through charity and donations to organizations. I believe that I deserve what I buy as I plan my spendings. I DO NOT go to people show them my doll and go "Ha Ha you can't afford this". Its not so much what you can buy can afford or can own. Its more of how humble you are and do you respect others that matters.

It just makes the doll more valuable to you. The value of dolls is not by how much you bought them for is how much you value them. I do not believe in a price for something you like or care for.

Not that I know of.

12. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Since I don't speak english perfectly i'm not sure of the way you mean "spoiling" but i'd answer yes. And you have no idea how its make me happy to buy dolls, or buying things for them, its like my own therapy against being depress. Its not like i'm disturbing or asking others to pay for me. As an adult I work for my money and I decide to spend it the way I want to, I do think its pretty fair :P

Well its like buying myself some gifts so I think I can answer yes. Some people like to spoil themself while spending hundreds of dollars on clothes that they don't always wear. But I personally buy clothes/shoes for my doll so its come to the same for me.

No but I do know I am a really lucky person. I'm not from a rich family and ill never be rich myself but no one have ever heard me complaining of my financial situation. I do donate to foundation that ask for money, I do give to poor people in the metro etc. I try to do what I can with what I have.

Lastly,
      Does anyone admit they are spoiled rotten? XD
      When I was a child despite the fact were always been in the Middle-Poor class I was very very spoiled and I admit with without any shame because not all the spoiled kids end being a pain to deal with. I do have very great parents and i know my luck <3

And woaw some people do jump on the floor by answering inoffensive questions that they have right to not answer at all......

13. For people/children who's parents have bought all of your dolls, do you consider yourself spoiled?
      My point of view, yes. My mother's, no. She looks at it exactly how it is. One of her children's hobbies. It's no different than a parent buying their game-ballistic child an Xbox and a bundle of games every year.

How could you not feel guilty? But wouldn't one also feel bad about living in a wealthy nation in the first place..?

I admit it.. But I'm far from proud of it...

14. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      In a way I do yes. I mean, it's not like owning a doll is a basic need; I don't need a BJD to live. Although waiting on my new dollies can feel like it is something I must have, I know in the back of my head it is an extravagance. To some it may seem spoiled to say but I thank the stars I was born to the family I was born into. That I had a childhood that was happy and rich and full of memories, and that now I find myself in a situation in life that I can spend this much money on a hobby.

I think about my money and where it goes. That goes back to the days when I was just getting allowance money to now that I work full-time. I don't spend my money frivolously or without care. It took me a long time to even consider buying a BJD and even then I almost talked myself out of it. However I really liked the hobby and the dolls and I just decided to go with the flow. Doesn't make it any easier to drop $500+ on something even if you have done the research. Of course I think of all the other stuff I could get... but when you have the money you make the choice how you are going to spend it. At least I put my money and effort towards something I'll use and like. My friend just told me her dad lost $1,500 on gambling in one week. That hurts to even think about and it is just silly to waste such money (no offense to people who like to gamble, I have gone to casinos but only when I have extra money to burn... and usually I just go for the food and shows). BJDs are expensive but as far as I have seen here on Doa and YouTube everyone loves their dolls and is active in the hobby.

Absolutely. Every day when I eat food I'm grateful that I even have food. When I go to my work cooler and look at the 50 bottles of water waiting to be drunk I'm grateful I at least have clean water to drink. I do find that I have a lot of those kinds of thoughts running through my head multiple times a day. I know that the things I have in my life aren't always things that I need. That does not mean I'm going to sell all my worldly possessions and live in a box. I just try to live my life as green as I can and do little things to help. To help me go along I say a daily affirmation to myself... something along the lines of "I'm grateful for another day. I'm grateful I can do the things I do without pain or sorrow or hate." It puts things in perspective when you realize that there are people truly and really suffering everyday. You really do realize it really isn't that important to be stressed about going through a grocery line fast or when someone cuts you off while you are driving. Basically be grateful for what you have, try and help others when you can, and as Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world"

Lastly, Does anyone admit they are spoiled rotten?
      Sure. I will. I'm lucky I have clean clothes on my back, a full belly, a great family, good friends, and the sun on my face. Really, it is the small things in this world that makes it go round.
      "A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books." ~Walt Whitman
      (Although I do love to read too!)

15. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      A little...but the happiness these dolls bring will drown out the guilt.
      No, my money is mine and how I spend it is up to me. As long as I don't fall into debt it is alright.
      A bit, but again, I do set apart about 10% of my cash as donation. So, not that bad.
      Yes, my mom pays me for certain grades and yes it sounds ridiculous to others. Those money, if I reach my target are enough for a doll or two. But I have to work hard for them, right? I have to study and get A1 or more for all my subjects before I get the money. I agree it is a more than generous gift, but I worked for it, so I am not spoilt rotten.

16. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?

Oh yes. I've been taught from young to avoid 'frivolous spending', and have to find ways and means to mentally justify the dolls to myself. Sometimes, I freak out a bit at how much money I have sitting around my room in the form of dolls, but now that I have a job and a hobby budget thing going on, I feel a bit better, because the spending is planned.

I would have to say that I never really worked hard for my dolls. /cough I have no financial commitments, so 100% of my pay is technically hobby money, though of course I don't spend that much. Most of my dolls were bought with money saved up from some temp jobs, internships, birthday money, government handouts, and Chinese New Year red packets, when I was still in school.

I do consider what else the money should be used on, but I have a budget for that, and a budget for dolls that is meant to be spent on dolls.

For people/children whose parents bought all of your dolls, do you consider yourself spoiled?

My first doll was paid for by my mum, and I would say that I was spoiled for that one, because she just yelled at me to go buy the damn thing if it would make me stop staring at dolls online and focus on studying instead. =_=

No, I don't. I feel lucky that I won the genetic lottery by being born in a rich country, but because it wasn't something I could choose, I refuse to feel guilty about it.

I am probably spoiled rotten, yes. I live at home, I have no plans to move out until I get married (and I'm not even remotely attached). I don't contribute to any bills, though I do contribute to household chores. I don't pass part of my salary to my parents, as is the tradition here, because I asked and they told me to save the money instead, so I have 100% disposable income, and my mother still buys work clothes, dresses and shoes for me. Sometimes, she may object to my hobbies, but she has never stopped me from pursuing them.

I feel very blessed and spoiled rotten to the core.

17. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Not really. I buy what I can afford that I also love. If I can't afford it, well, it gets passed up. If something comes up and I need money, then the doll or dolls have to go. In a way I am lucky, because I haven't gotten very attached to a doll yet that I just can't sell.

If you work hard for them...which I'm sure many of you have, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?
      Again, I only buy if I can afford it. There's a reason why I only have one BJD at the moment. ;) My money is going towards other things right now, with the exception of a bit put towards things for my doll.

My parents have purchased only two and a half of my...what, 12 former dolls? When they were sold, the money went back into other things I wanted more or that we needed. Usually when I'd ask for a doll or parts, it would be around my birthday or Christmas, and it would be all I'd ask for. I personally dislike asking my parents for money, however, so I quit asking them to purchase dolls or doll parts for me unless I really need some help.

This is a tough question to answer, because it's not like I chose what nation to live in when I was born. I was blessed to have been born in the loving (and middle class) family I have, whether or not I came from a wealthy nation or not. I could have been born in a wealthy country, but come from a poor family who also had to try to live off a dollar a day. That said, of course it has come to mind that I am very lucky to be able to afford the things I can that maybe others can't. This is why my family tends to donate money during the Christmas holidays, because we know how special it is to us and that others should be able to enjoy it, too. I think I'd have a greedy heart if I said I didn't care about those who are less fortunate. :/

As an only child I say yes, but my parents deny it. That said, my parents have older siblings that can be considered more spoiled than myself, so umm...I'd say in my case I feel that I am, but looking from outside the box, not so much. I tend to help out around the house and so forth, and I know people who don't lift a finger....ever.

18. while I do think to an extent we are being 'spoilt' but having saved up most of the money myself I feel that whatever I buy with my hard earned money should go to whatever I think it should. No one should be seen as a stuck up spoilt brat just because they have an expensive doll. its like having a Horse (they cost heaps dont they?) and saying those people are stuck up, or anything in general.

19. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      A little spoiling is never wrong. And in my case it's also with dolls.
      If you work hard for them, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?
      I do use my money on other things, too.
      No.

20. I don't feel spoiled at all. I DO spend a lot of money on dolls, in fact, most of my free cash goes into the hobby. But I don't see it as being spoiled because no one is just handing me money to get whatever I want whenever I want it. I allow myself to spend a cerain (small) amount from each paycheck and fund the hobby myself AFTER my bills are paid. The only time I've been given a doll has been Christmas or my birthday (and once when my husband came into some money he got me a doll....when I came into money, I took him to DisneyWorld, it balances out). I don't feel that getting a doll for a special occasion is "spoiling" any more than me spending an equal amount on a gift for them, be it video games, motorcycle parts, tv, etc.

Do I feel guilty? No. Why should I? I WORKED for it. If I were stealing charity money to buy a doll, that would be totally different. If I were getting government funds meant to feed my (non-existent) children and buying a doll while they were starving, yes, that's bad! But seeing as I'm a working adult with no one to be responsible for but myself, i don't see an issue with spending my hard earned money on myself. I work, I pay bills, I support myself without asking for any type of assistance....I think I deserve to treat myself for it.