1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a picky doll collector?

May 31, 2017

1. Hi! From what I've seen, most users on DoA aren't that picky about their dolls and love lots of different styles, but I wanted to ask a few questions just to know if there are some picky people out there.

Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

Wether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?

If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?

Any advice for picky people?

(I just wanted to point out that this thread isn't made to judge people, I'm extremely picky with dolls myself. It's just a way to have fun and discuss (: )

#1 Mimetique, May 31, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    2. I'm not super picky (I don't think so anyway!) but my suggestion would be to look at a lot of dolls. If you hang around the forums enough, you'll see a lot of dolls and start to get an idea of what you like. No matter how picky you are, there's probably a doll you like out there somewhere~

Personally, I think it's a good thing to be at least a little picky. If you loved every doll you saw, it would be a lot harder to say no to buying them!! ;)

3. Absolutely!

- I like smiling sculpts or, at the very least, neutral expressions on my dolls. Don't want a doll that's sculpted so it only looks miserable.

- I like natural faceups rather than ones that look like the doll is smothered in makes-up

- I don't like theose eyebrows where all the hairs fcome together down the middle of the eyebrow to form a sort of chevron pattern pointing to the outside of the face.

- I don't like expressive eyebrowns on a doll. They're too restrictive, I prefer them painted in a neutral position.

- I don't like dark spots in the corners of the mouth or dark lines between the lips (looks like the doll has been eating licorice and hasn't cleaned their teeth since)

- I don't like child/immature faceups on big-busted/mature figured bodies (creeps me out, big time)

- I don't like that it's so difficult to find flat-chested/immature/child bodies in the SD/1/3 size, yety there are ahuge choice of immature head sculpts.

- I don't like obviously child dolls (like YoSD for example) that are painted to look like they are wearing heavy-makeup and dressed in provocative "adult" styles.

- I hate the trousers most companies make for male dolls with the waistbband finishing low-slung instead of coming up to the actual waist.

- I also hate the waistcoats that are made too shors so the trouser waistband shows (or, worse - shirt) it just looks liek their clothess don't fit properly and they're badly dressed.

- I don't like that 90% of the dresses companies market for girl BJD's are too short, finihsing at or above the knee.

- I don't like that a lot of the clothes are made form synthetics and are covered in plastic-looking synthetic lace.

I could go on and on with this list!

{LAUGH!} I prefer to regard it as having high standards than as a flaw....

It's around 50 at the moment, but many of them are hybrids and have been custom face-ups rather than company/default faceups.

Finding enough variety of immature SD-sized bodies is the biggest problem, so the majority of my SD sized gang are on SD10 bodies, or other bodies with the bust modded off.

Whatever your pickyness, stick to it. You'll enjoy your dolls more if they're right for you.

Teddy

#3 Teddy, May 31, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    4. Interesting question. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle- there definitely are certain features (like a more realistic look) that I like in a doll but I also like to stay open to different sculpts that speak to me. Really it's all about if a particular sculpt speaks to me.

5. My 19 dolls (With luts being 17 and little monica being 2 ) will tell you I'm pretty picky Lol!

Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

As I stated above, I'm pretty picky. Luts has that aesthetic I LOVE. Granted, I love looking at other dolls, but when I want a character, Luts always has right what I want! But then there were two dolls from Little monica I had to have. I still have more Luts dolls I want but MIGHT branch into something different one day. Maybe. Lol. I like the dolls generally wiht a slightly larger head and anime aesthetics (BUT NOT the anime look of a doll as in Dollfie dreams. They have to be borderline realism) I don't need to love every doll, I like what I like. I'm happier with that.

Nah. Since I started this hobby 12 years ago or so, the market has exploded with so many different types of dolls that I'm not going to like everything. And neither should you. So you should be allowed to be picky on what you like and what you want. It's not a cheap hobby. You have to get what YOU want.

If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?

Even though I'm picky, there's enough out there for me to find what I want out o f my characters. Most of my dolls are hand picked for their characters, but some of them I had gotten from free heads and I liked them. All of my MSDs pertain to a story that I created when I received my 4th MSD and 7th doll at the time. :)

My advice would be: Buy what you like! You don't need to have a ton of dolls. Hybrid to get that perfect doll your looking for! All of my MSDs are luts minus one, but their bodies are not. :) That's the best way to make a large group different is to hybrid. I have the face aesthetic I like, with a nice different body to separate them from one another.
      No one should be allowed to tell you how to enjoy the hobby or tell you what to like! (And I certainly don't let people bring me down~)

6. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I'm SUPER picky when it comes to my dolls, but I think that kind of thing evolved over time? When I first started I wasn't super picky, but now I'm more finicky about things. Most of my pickiness comes from wanting my characters to be shelled perfectly, so height, sculpt, body type, skin tone, etc. all really matters to me. This is kind of what's made me love hybrids, since I'm rarely happy with both the head and body from a company. :XD:

Whether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?

I don't think being picky is a flaw, really. In reality, I think it gives me more room to be creative with my hybrids, modding, etc. It can be more difficult to find things that are "perfect", but I feel like I have a greater sense of satisfaction when I get things just right!

I just have a lot of characters! I'm really dedicated to my characters, so I spare no expense (money or time) in getting them shelled into what I think really suits them. One of my characters went through FOUR heads before I found the one that was truly "her", but between all of those heads I also purchased a few dolls I just really liked from photos/new releases. It's probably those random purchases that really grew my collection.

Keep being you! Don't settle for something that you aren't going to be happy with, and don't think that your pickier tastes in sculpts, doll items, whatever is wrong! Everyone does the hobby differently. :)

7. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I suppose I'm picky in that there are a lot of styles and sculpts that I like, but very very few that I love enough that I actually feel the urge to bring them home. It can be very small details that make the difference, like a nose that's too narrow or cheeks too puffy or a tan that's too orange or grey. I also like diversity more than uniformity, which is why each of my dolls are from a different company and a totally different size or color, so as those "gaps" get filled there are actually fewer dolls I would want to own even among sculpts I like. If dolls weren't so expensive, I would probably be less picky about which ones I buy so I could experience different bodies and resins in person, but even so I would only keep my favorite sculpts. Wanting every doll you see would be rough in such an expensive hobby, anyway.

I think it's only a flaw if it becomes an imposition, either because you never feel satisfied with anything or because you make unreasonable demands of others. Beyond that, style and tastes can be as inclusive or particular as you want, I figure.

I'm waiting on my fifth doll, which is already more than I ever imagined when I started in the hobby, but I guess some others would consider small. I would much rather maintain a small number I love; I'm in no hurry to build a large collection.

Take your time and enjoy the search, and don't be afraid to ask the community for leads if you're looking for certain features.

If you do feel like you have trouble finding dolls you like, maybe try to consider the reasons behind your pickiness; it could be that it's not actually an issue of tastes, but you've been dismissing things based on size, gender, brand, other people's biases or preferences, assumptions about how a doll "should" look, etc, or that your perfect doll has been hiding under a company faceup or in the shadows of poor photography. Definitely don't settle for something you don't love, but if you broaden your view you may find that something you never would have considered before turns out to be a prefect fit.

#7 Kittzel, May 31, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    8. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      Yes, I'm an extremely picky collector and I find I'm becoming even more picky as time goes on. I like larger dolls with more realistic features and I like natural faceups. Actually, I'm super picky when it comes to faceups and I'm really particular when it comes to eyebrows. I like faces that are relatively neutral because it's easier to create expression with a neutral face than it is to minimize a specific expression on a permanently scowling or grinning face. I'm also picky about bodies and would prefer that my dolls be good at posing (although I have made some exceptions for this). I have certain clothing items and clothing styles I want for my dolls, which are sometimes hard to find. I prefer silicone eyes, and I'm stupidly picky about the type of glass eyes I'll purchase and use. I also dislike most "fur" type wigs, whether that's faux fur, yarn, or a natural fur/hair like sheep or alpaca. heh...let's face it. I'm pretty much particular about everything.

No, I would not prefer to love every doll I came across. I usually don't have too much trouble finding what I like. I know what I like and I'm happy with my preferences and my dolls.

No. Why would it be a flaw? Everyone is entitled to like what they want to like and to purchase the things that appeal to them. There's nothing wrong with having specific preferences.

A person tends to accumulate dolls after 8 years in the hobby and, like I said, I can usually find what I like. Just because it's not a huge-eyed Minifee, doesn't mean it's hard to find. I have a medium-sized collection, but it's getting smaller as I weed out the ones I'm not completely happy with. I don't think the size of a collection really has much to do with the pickiness of the collector, to be honest. I think it's entirely possible for even the most picky collector to have a larger collection if they want one. Personally, I would rather have a smaller collection at this point in my life, but that's not because of my level of pickiness.

Continue to be as picky as you want to be. There's no shame in knowing exactly what you want and not settling for anything less than what satisfies you. If you get a doll that doesn't meet your standards and you find you don't like it, don't be afraid to sell it immediately (brand-new dolls tend to sell more quickly than ones that've been around for a bit). Another bit of advice I'd give is never settle. Even "cheap" dolls are expensive, but if you choose a doll you don't really want simply for no other reason than it's more affordable, then there's a higher chance you will have some degree of buyer's remorse. Granted, this isn't the case 100% of the time, but even so, why would you buy one thing when you'd really rather have something else? Saving up for the one that you really want is worth it in the end.

9. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I don't think so. Maybe I've become more picky through the years, specially on this year when I have learned what I really want. I prefer that the molds share few similarities that connect my dolls. For example of my dolls have chubby cheeks and their eyeshape is similar to each other although they are all from different companies. Mostly I try to pick the doll that resembles the character best that I have in my mind. But I've noticed that certain doll types are definitely my thing: Chubby cheeks, big-ish lips, certain eyeshape, more curvy lover body and exaggerated body features. The smaller the doll, the more cartoony I prefer it to look :'D But the bigger the doll, the more realistic I want it to be, specially from the face.

I'm more picky what comes to a faceups and clothing. I want the faceup and clothing to resemble the character perfectly. The colors must be exactly certain, the eyebrow shape must be on point etc. Clothing must be from certain colortheme and resemble the character as well.

I don't think it's a flaw. If it's kept under control somehow. Perfectionism is something I consider as flaw in myself. I tend to go for the extreme perfectionism and become extremely picky over time - I'm not as satisfied and I need to "correct" thing over and over again before I'm happy. It's something I'm constantly working on, because it becomes burden as the time goes by. :'D

My collection is fairly small right now, but it's slowly growing. I think there's couple of reasons for that - 1. More funds & 2. I finally know what I'm looking for. I prefer smaller group, but we'll see how many dolls I have on the future. My collection has grown over the pas year from 1 to 3 completed dolls + 1 floating head, 1 doll is on the way. I like to keep my collection near 5.-6, that would be the perfect amount for me. I get easily overwhelmed from the amount of dolls I have, don't know why :'D

10. I thought I was pretty picky, but...I guess I'm actually not really. :lol: At first I was sure I wasn't going to have any vinyl dolls or anime style dolls, but that went out the window... I thought I'd never have any female dolls, but now I'm planning several. I thought I'd never want any super realistic dolls, but now I have a couple Iplehouse dolls on my wishlist. So much for pickiness! Now I just go for whatever I like and don't try to put myself into any boxes. :3nodding:

I don't think pickiness is a flaw; if anything, it's a blessing in a hobby like this! When you're picky, you don't feel as big a need to get every pretty doll you come across. I feel like it'd help control the size of a collection, or at least help wth planning. So my advice for picky doll collectors would be to keep it up if it makes you happy! That's the whole point of any collection anyway; to make you happy. :thumbup

11. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

Yes! I am a perfectionist myself so when the smallest detail isn't right to me then it stops me from buying the whole thing. I also don't like a lot of dolls but I certainly don't prefer to love every doll I see. I can appreciate them as they are and I like them for others but just not for myself and I am fine with that.

No because it makes me like the dolls I have even more. Because I am picky I look up 100dreds of owner pics about the doll and make sure I am 100% happy about her :) This way I never regret anything.

I have 4 dolls and I am quite happy with that! Again, before I buy a new one I need to be 100% happy about her and I don't think I will ever have a massive collection and that is ok because now I can give my girls the same amount of love.

Just accept the fact that you are picky because it is not bad to be picky!

12. It's weird, I feel like my definition of picky is a little different than what I see in the replies here.
      I think saying "I like only company X" is not really being picky, but simply having a preference.
      It starts being picky to me when your preferred choice is not enough, but needs to be top notch and include a lot of small details and if just one tiny thing is a little different it kills the rest.
      Maybe that's my experience speaking with customers; the picky ones were definitely not the ones who knew what they wanted, but wanted things like "X amount of lashes per side" or "blushing needs to be exactly color #fad6ad" or "freckles should not be bigger than X mm on average, and I want 46 of them on the face" :lol:

Anyway, to the questions.

I am, I fear. Not counting having a preference for certain companies and aesthetics, but I even want things to be perfect you never really see.
      Like doll bodies, I can't get myself to buy a cheaper one that isn't to my liking, even though my dolls are dressed 99% of the time. Could save a lot of money, because the pretty ones tend to be expensive, but nope.
      I am now at a point where I still need dolls for characters, but it's difficult to find one I still want to buy.
      I don't think it's pickyness in this case, but the fact I've seen so much through commissions already, got to see lot of dolls through friends and found my preferred aesthetic.
      But my characters have a very specific concept in my mind, so it's not that I am picky for the sake of it but that I just know already what I want and don't need to poke around anymore.
      However, with clothes and such I am definitely picky when it comes to quality. I want my dolls to look good, but it's hard to find seamstresses who offer good quality and still offer commissions.
      I don't want them to be just dressed, I want them perfectly looking down to every detail.

I sometimes think it is.
      Especially about my own work I am extremely picky, down to me being paralyzed and unable to create new stuff because I feel like I can never do something that is up to my standards. I see every tiny flaw, while my customers are happy. Perfectionism is probably the better term there though.
      And of course it limits yourself in your choices, but it's better to get what you really want instead of buying something because it's just "okay".

It's not that hard to find dolls that fit my aesthetic (ignoring "has to fit my character too"), finishing them is where the pickyness gets in the way. It usually ends up with them being unfinished for years because I keep on trying to find the perfect thing X, struggling with giving them a face-up I can actually be happy with, finding a seamstress that does offer good quality and is willing to work with me etc.
      Most people would probably say they are finished because they are not naked and blank, but they never feel like that to me :sweat

Aim for the best and get what you want, but don't take it so far that it makes it impossible for you to be content and happy.

13. My problem is that I love basically all BJDs, but I'm extremely picky about the ones I want to own. I've only purchased two, and my first is a sculpt that I still haven't managed to bond with even though I agonized over her forever :sweat

My doll wishlist only has one or two dolls I'd actually consider buying.... but I'm sure my wallet is happy about that, so it's probably not a flaw! I think I'm just more suited to having a small collection of dolls that I'm passionate about.

14. I'm not terribly picky about a doll's level of realism or its general sculptural style as long as I like the end result, and I'm willing to forgive minor things that aren't "perfect" when it comes to anatomy, engineering and casting... What I *am* very picky about is having the sculptural style, level of realism and scale of dolls that are meant to be displayed or photographed together match. In other words, you're never going to see a 70cm Iple EID posed with an old-school Volks Mini over here with a tag claiming they're siblings, even though both types are represented in my collection. :lol:

I'm also very particular about how my dolls are dressed and maintained. I like very well-made outfits and nice jewelry for them. I don't cheap-out on their wigs or their eyes. I keep them as clean as possible and out of the sun, and nobody sits around in the nude or with an untended rat's nest of a wig. To me, that's just a part of owning these guys... Nice things ought to be nicely kept.

As for how I ended up with a large collection, it's not all that difficult when you like a variety of styles and companies. Maintaining a tribe the size of mine does take some organization and time, and outfitting them well is in no way inexpensive... but in for a penny, in for a pound. I feel like if you're going to do something, you ought to do it well.

15. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why?
      Somewhat, yes. In the past, I have settled for dolls and things for them because they were cheaper or easier to obtain, but then I ended up wishing I'd spent more for what I really wanted, and I ended up losing even more money when selling those things at a loss. I've impulse bought and bought things just to be buying, then became overwhelmed with so. much. stuff. I'm pickier now because I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on things that are just sort of okay. I want my dolls to look nice and fit their characters. I don't want any damages and broken fingers are an instant NO for me. Sometimes, I am open to ideas, especially if I'm looking for trades, I can be open to offers, but I have also turned down quite a few offers because I simply had no interest in the doll/item.

Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

NOPE. It's bad enough being regularly tempted by things, wanting every doll would be horrible for me!

Whether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?
      Not really. I think it's good to have goals and meet them, rather than just buy anything just because it's there. Keeps my house less cluttered and sticking to my wish list easier!

I have 14 SDs, two MSD, one YoSD, and nine tinies/pets/companions, so I guess that probably is a fairly large collection. I've been in the hobby for nine years, though, and I've sold a lot more dolls than I've kept over that time. I think being so picky is why my crew rotates constantly. I try out a lot of dolls, but only a few stay with me for long periods of time. In fact, fewer than half of my dolls have been with me for over a year.

Look at every option you can when looking for the right doll/item. Look at owner photos. Consider if a faceup or simple mod can give you what you want. Commission artists to make what you want. Don't settle for less.

16. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      I'm picky... but selectively picky? For instance, I'll only buy a doll with the face up I like but if they have a mole or blemish then I wouldn't care. She'll then be my unique wild child~

In the case of the doll I wanted to order... I had two options but faltered due to my indecisiveness and it cost me two extra months to attempt to get her. However, I am so happy to have managed to order her after seven months.

I don't have a big doll collection or a big collection of anything really. It's about reaching a level of contentness. Most things I've owned I put a lot of thought into at the time and a part of that passion flares up everytime I come back into contact with it.

As long as it'll make you happy, go for it.

17. Not really. I'm more of a picky collector by choice in order to save my money.

18. All your answers have been very interesting!

That's the definition I had in mind. Sometimes I can see a beautiful doll and think "I would love to have her" but then she will have the tiniest detail that I dislike, making me not want her anymore.

I love smiling dolls too, but it's so hard to find them! Some people love to make sad eyebrows for dolls, and although they can still be really pretty, I don't like seeing a doll being sad "for eternity". I also agree on the "childish face on big breasted body" thing. Sometimes you just feel like something is wrong when you look at the doll, like the body and the face weren't meant for each other.

19. Ninodoll
      Juri, Anna, Bada, Mogwa, Um Pyo,

Smiley smiley heads of smiley goodness....

At least the eyebrows can be repainted, if the doll is sculpted grumpy then there's not much that can be done to make them look happy.

I know that feeling - not helped by seeing a doll posed smoking puts me off that sculpt entirely.

Teddy

20. Yeah... very "Toddlers in Tiaras." There have been a few of those on display the last few times I've stopped by the DOLK store in Tokyo (I don't remember the sculpt/company, but the proportions were already very off--like a 1/4 head on a 1/6 body--and then the face-up just enhanced the disparity even more) and I find them really disconcerting. :/