1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you bothered by seams????

Apr 12, 2010

1. My answer is also no. I don't think companies should remove the seems, unless they offer the service and some one want s to pay for it. As being some one who does the seem removing themselves, it takes a ton of time, it is a slow process. And if you are not wearing proper protection and in a well ventilated area, it is quite dangerous.

If the seems are so noticeable that they really bother you, there are plenty people on the forum who will be glad to remove them for you. I love removing the seems from my dolls myself. It is a way to bond with my dolls, and something about spending all that time lovingly working on them that makes them more special to me.

2. I am not really bothered by them, most of the time they are hidden by clothing and even if they were really ugly, I'd just sand them down ^__^

I see them but its not a problem for me ;3

If a company offers sending, I wont buy it. If they send them anyway, Well I'll be happy... but I wont really notice XD

3. Short answer no, it doesn't bother me.

In a way I like them as long as they're not sharp. They're like reminders to me that my dolls are in fact dolls, just like their ball joints. I don't understand why some people see it as a 'flaw' and the thought that companies should sand the dolls as part of the package. This would increase the price and the waiting time, it can also be a dangerous job to do. However I do understand that some people just really don't like them so they rather the company sand them or sands them themselves. As for me, it doesn't bother me and I've not sanded any of mine. If they come sanded, great, if they don't, great.

4. I don't mind seams at all. If they're really terrible I'll sand them myself but to bother me they have to be so severe that they're snagging on clothes and/or me. Otherwise they don't bother me a bit.

5. I'm not bothered by seams, and I don't expect companies to offer free seam sanding any more than I'd expect them to send each doll with a free faceup. I'd also rather not wait all the extra time it would take for the company to sand every doll ahead of mine and then my doll. Almost every company offers seam sanding for an extra fee, I don't see what the problem is. If you want it get it, if not don't.

6. I don't particularly like seams. They have to be obvious to bother me (hey Fairyland, who has major seams and NO option to get sanding...), not just a line and I don't have any that bother me enough to be worth the trouble of sanding them or paying extra to have them sanded, but I really adore how my Dollzone and Resinsoul (and NEW Dolkot, but NOT the old one) dolls are nice and smooth and seam-free (with no sign whatsoever that there ever WERE seams). So it's a pretty minor thing with me but it is an annoyance to see a gorgeous photo in the gallery with a big glaring uneven wavy seamline running right down the arm. Joints I don't mind, minimal seams I don't mind, but really obvious seams seem more like a flaw.

7. Honestly, seams don't bother me at all and one of my dolls has very obvious seams. I'm thinking about sanding seams in the future but... really they don't annoy me or anything so I might not bother doing it.

The thing that baffles me is when some people will buy x doll over y doll because y doll comes with obvious seams. Even if they like y doll a lot more than x doll.

I'd also much, much rather have seams than obvious strips of lighter resin all over my doll a couple years down the road.

8. I guess I don't mind to a certain extent. Yoru and Sage are very, very smooth. My Littlefee has a couple visible but not intrusive seams, so as far as I'm concerned he's fine like that. Korin, however...the seams on his Cherishdoll body were really pronounced and jagged. They felt sharp against my skin and since he likes delicate fabrics they would snag his clothes. I HAD to sand him. ^_^;
      I would rather not pay extra to have it done by the company though, and will sand it myself if they're a bother. I'm just happy Dollzone makes theirs so smooth, since the boys I want from them are tan...

9. I personally don't think seam sanding should ever be free unless the company has dangerous seam lines or ones that really affect how a doll looks ^^; even with those companies I wouldn't expect real seam sanding, maybe just touch up sanding instead. I've known many people who work in similiar fields that involve dangerous sanding and even with high safety precautions they've ended in lung failure. No money is really worth that u.u;
      although I don't mind if they do offer it for an extra fee to those who want them. I haven't ran into real bad seam lines yet and have sanded my own boy a bit already. It's not the easiest task to do, and you really learn to appreciate the workmanship in it! Even then... my main goal for sanding wasnt seam lines. It was trying to do a hybrid and getting parts to fit all snuggly. XP I guess my answer would be no I don't mind seam lines, sanding them yourself helps with bonding and they usually get covered under clothes anyways c:

10. I think seams would bother me. Anyway, my BJD's are both from Bobobie and this company includes sanding. They do an excellent job of it too.
      Some time ago I was visiting a friend of mine and she was handling one of her dolls which had seams. I think it made her look like a cheap barbie-doll or something. These dolls are cast plastic ofcourse.

I think if I ever order a doll from a company which does not include sanding in the standard price, I'd order sanding as extra service. It's a bit of a bother doing it myself and there is a risk of developing uneven colour change as the doll ages.

11. I haven't sanded any of my dolls' seams. They don't bother me really at this point. The worst are the ones on my Pippitan which are very uneven and noticeable, but I haven't felt the need to remove them to date. I wouldn't pay more to have my dolls sanded before arrival, and I doubt I'd ever commission someone to do it, either.

12. This! Seams don't bother me at all. All of my dolls have some degree of seaming, and I've considered sanding but I don't really care so I think for now they'll stay natural haha. To me seam sanding reminds me of cosmetic surgery. ^^;
      I don't even mind seeing them in pictures. all people have flaws, so dolls can too.

13. Seams bother the hell out of me. I actually paid for my Zaoll Muse to be sanded (she's amazing!), but I do think the sanding service is overpriced. Since my BF works with resin I've got more confident with the material and I've ordered my 2nd doll unsanded but still, he'll get sanded if I can see any seam lines. Like he'll get sueded and wired and blushed and faceupped. It's just a necessary step for me.
      It really matters to me that my dolls look good as naked objects and even though glaringly obvious ball joints appeal to me, seam lines squick me. I've heared that sanded seams often fade to the same coulour of the surrounding resin but even if they don't, I'd still rather see a bit of dicolouration over an uneven edge standing up on the doll.
      I'm aware that this might affect the resale value of the doll but that's not something i really think about.

14. i don't really have a problem with them. Many dolls besides bjd have seams (barbie anyone). They are just a
      nessary evil.

15. The VERY FIRST time I ever saw a seam, it was so grotesque that I thought it was a crack. The doll in question was an IH Titania, but I couldn't tell you what skintone. I looked at her arms at the wrist, and feet at the ankle, and thought she was damaged, but when I pointed out the resin's height-difference, the owner said that these monstrosities were just seams.
      THOSE, I mind. Do not want.

Hairline seams? Couldn't care less. Those are kind of expected, really. My DZ girl came home to me without any sign of seams, so she must have been sanded, but she's tan and there is absolutely NO discoloration on her, and no scratchiness to indicate that she might have been sanded in some places and not others.

I've been considering FL, but what's up with all of this talk about monsterous FL seams? Can we get some example pics?

16. Seams don't bother me, I rarely notice them. My Ani boy has a wicked big seam on one side of his neck but I usually forget about it and rarely notice. I've had all kinds of dolls and toys etc, so seams are nothing new. That's probably why I don't really get annoyed by them. Maybe one day I'll change my mind, but I'm not sure the risk of discolouration would be worth it for me. That would probably annoy me more.

17. I have a green BBB charisma. Her seams were sanded but because of her coloring it stripes of a slightly lighter color. I took pics of them

[​IMG]

Since it's mostly on her legs I don't mind much. It's not very noticable. I did look when I got her because I had read on the bobobie thread that someone had bought a red colored doll and when the seams were sanded they had left alot of scratches and discoloration.

You can't tell a thing at all on my b&g afra. You'd think she'd never been in a mold.

18. Seams dont bother me at all. My SWD Nana has visible seams. There just no big deal to me.

19. I am bothered by seams. We spend lots of money on these dolls. I know seam sanding takes time but it should be done before a doll is shipped unless the buyer says they don't want them sanded. Until I learn how to sand seams, I'm not buying from companies that don't do it. Companies shouldn't charge extra for it either. The first seam I ever saw, I thought was a giant crack....

20. I think it's kind of interesting how there seems to be such a large gap between those who have been in the hobby for a long time and those who are newer to it. Most of us who have been collecting bjds for a few years aren't concerned about seams at all.