1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you bothered by seams????

Apr 12, 2010

1. Those who expect doll companies to sand seams just because the the buyer paid alot already for the doll come across to me as people with entitlement issues. (Same as buyers in another thread who feel that they are entitled into getting what color freebie eyes they want for the same reason: because they paid "alot of money" for the doll.)

Volks charges extra for FCS dolls to have the seams expertly sanded. If the seams bother you that much and don't want to sand them yourself. Maybe you should have asked the company beforehand to do that for you. Oh, and don't be Suprised if the company asks you for a small fee for doing it. Resin dust can be dangerous if precautions are not taken.

I think that I might have mentioned this before. Seams don't bother me. The dolls that I have received so far had not have very bad seams and I had always done the sanding myself as a bonding activity with my new doll.

2. Short answer: nup

Long answer: as long as they're not sharp or too noticable, I mind them a lot less than I mind having discolored areas on my mostly tan collection. :)

I DO love that spiritdoll sanded the seams of my elegance body though! But for most of my dolls, it's really not an option.

3. Most of my friends choice No-Face up when order. And it would be make shorter waiting and saving mony. And as you say the price of company is not so great, so i would like to pay the same price to individual face make up woker. May that can solve the botering of your problem.

4. [MENTION=604]Elysion gear[/MENTION]
      Oh, maybe I should have explained myself better... I've never been bothered by seamlines themselves. Maybe it's just that I've heard people say that it's something that companies normally just do for lighter skintones, so companies that don't do it seem strange to me. I haven't had a lot of experience with how things are normally done with a lot of companies and I deeply apologize for coming off this way. I'll definitely take the opinions of someone with more experience than me to heart.

5. [MENTION=66996]teacupterrors[/MENTION]: There are only a few companies who do this for free. Often, they are newer studios who offer this service as a way to get more customers. When their dolls get more popular, they tend to ask a fee for it, because seam-sanding is very time consuming and there's just no way to make profit of of it, unless they raise the price of their dolls.

Many of these companies are also Chinese, because due to several factors are they able to ask a lower price for their dolls.

6. @Silk Oh, of course! I understand paying extra for sanding, I just sort of meant companies that don't at all? But it really doesn't matter a lot to me. Gosh, I'm really sorry, I really respect your dolls and everything that BJD sculptors do. My opinion on seamlines really isn't that strong and I don't notice it 99% of the time.

I'm so, so sorry guys.

Edit: To clarify, I meant dolls that have a higher price that already come sanded, or dolls that have an optional sanding service. Not like a sanded doll and a doll with seams should cost the same. :sweat

7. They don't bother me too much, though I do sand them down myself where possible/needed. I wouldn't expect a company to do it without cost and frankly I wouldn't want them to, I find it a basic and enjoyable thing I can do with my dolls. The only case it would really bother me would be really jagged seams on a tan doll which I therefore couldn't do much about without ruining the colour.

8. I'm not very bothered by seams when my dolls have their clothes and wig on. But they bother me when their naked, I want to use sandpaper to sand them away. To be honest, I never used sandpaper on dolls before, I'm afraid to leave scratches on them... :|

9. [MENTION=66996]teacupterrors[/MENTION]: There's no need to apologize, I'm not offended :). I just wanted to give you an explanation, because - understandably - it raises questions when we see some companies offer the seam sanding service and others do not.

So, as for companies who don't offer this service at all: I can't be sure of course, but I think it is due to lack of time. Sanding seams is very labor intensive and these companies are tiny (only 1 to 3 people in some, if not most cases). So when they gain more customers, they either have to hire another employee, or stop offering the sanding of seamlines. In many cases, hiring extra personnel is simply too expensive.

10. It depends. If it's a huge seam that comes off more akin to a shelf (I've had a couple that came that way), it bothers me. A smaller seam, not so much. I do like to sand seams as it helps me get a sense of the doll and therefore bond with it. Most of the dolls I bought have come already sanded though and for some reason I just don't have the same emotional attachment with them as I do the ones I've sanded myself. I don't love them any less, but the ones worked on more seem to get more of my attention for photos and such.

11. I've never gotten a doll where the seams bothered me.

12. I personally don't like when my dolls show a lot of skin anyways, so this isn't really an issue for me. My current only doll doesn't have seam lines, but if I ever were to buy one with them - which is very well possible, because there are some gorgeous tan dollies out there - I don't think I would mind them.

13. only if there REALLY visible otherwise im not to fussed :)

14. I don't think I would be, if mine has any I hadn't noticed them. Most dolls would be clothed so you usually wouldn't see them, and it probably wouldn't bother me unless it was sharp and could cut me. I mean, clothing has seams, and stuffed animals do too, and a bunch of other stuff. So to me it's not strange that sometimes they'd be visible.

15. Really noticeable seam lines bother me. I think it takes away from the realism of a photo if there's a really noticeable seam. Obviously we know dolls aren't real and a seam line isn't a surprising thing to find on a doll, but the point of the photography a lot of the time is to make them look as if they could be real. I guess if you have decent photoshop skills you could just edit the seams out though.

So yeah, if a company offers a sanding service, I'd definitely pay extra for it. I'm afraid to sand dolls myself in case I mess them up.

16. I only have 2 BJDs at the moment, I noticed the seams on one of them but I'm not bothered enough to feel the need to get rid of them, I'd rather Photoshop them away if they would bother me in a picture.

17. My exact thoughts. I also have two BJDs, one with noticeable seem lines but she's in tan skin. I've heard that they can become discolored if they are sanded but they don't bother me so I leave them alone. they can be covered up with clothes.

18. Only one of my dolls has visible seam lines, my Iplehouse Carina, has some pretty bad ones on her legs. She is a peach gold skin, so I am afraid it would be very visible if I tried sanded them down, so though I do not like them, I live with them. I would be perfectly happy to pay an extra fee to have the seams sanded down. I wish all companies offered it. My Elfdolls and Piposland dolls have perfectly invisible seams, such nice care went into making and finishing them. I really appreciate the companies than do that.

19. My souldoll girl has some seams on her (and webbed fingers) but it hasn't bothered me enough to sand them yet. I might, if I get around to modding her fingers apart.

20. Gotta say I'm a little bothered by seams if they're visible. If they can be hidden beneath clothing that's fine! But if say, the character the doll was based on wore sleeveless shirts and there were still seams on the arms I'd be bothered for sure.