1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you hesitant to buy oddly sized/shaped dolls because of clothing?

Mar 14, 2012

1. Mods: I looked and could not find a topic like this. Apologies if I missed it.

I am currently in the process of making my own BJD. I have the disadvantage of not owning a BJD myself. I realized, rather late in the sculpting process, that there are "standard" doll sizes. 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, and so on. My doll is rather close to the 1/5 scale area. Although the head is about 1/4 and the feet are 1/6, so heads, wigs, and shoes from other BJD companies should fit. However, the body as a whole is 1/5. My doll is also pear-shaped. These factors I'm sure would make it difficult to find clothes for her.

So here is my question:

Would you be more hesitant to buy a oddly shaped/size doll because it would be difficult to find clothes? Or would you prefer to buy that kind of doll, because its more unique, and you make your own clothes anyway?

Also, besides clothing, would there be any reason you would be hesitant to buy an unusually sized or shaped doll?

2. I make almost all the clothes for my dolls, so body shape is not a factor except as it applies to aesthetics and engineering.

3. Yes, I would think twice before buying an oddly shaped doll, even if I found it attractive, partly because of the clothing problem as I don't like to sew. But also because I enjoy taking photos of my dolls often in pairs or groups and I would like them to look compatible in size and shape.

4. Not at all. If it's oddly shaped, and I want to buy it, it's obviously very pretty to me. So I wouldn't mind if they would stand around in the nude.
      Other than that, I don't like about 90 percent of the confection clothing that's out there, so most of my doll outfits are custom made, or altered and such.
      I don't worry about it too much because I'll find a way to make it work.

5. I adore the oddly shaped dolls, so I've long since accepted that issue. XD I keep trying to convince myself that I'll be doing some sewing for them, though - if that ever becomes a reality, it shouldn't matter too much whether they have uncommon proportions.

6. When I first got into the hobby, I thought it wasn't a big deal. Now, I don't mind going out of my way for a very special doll, but it's unlikely I'd buy a doll that doesn't have a variety of clothing to choose from.

7. Yes. Although I didn't notice the new line souldoll soulkid bodies were absolutely massive until after I bought one. I'd love to get a minifee because THERE IS SO MUCH THAT FITS THEM on the marketplace. I would probably avoid Iplehouse and Souldoll because they're odd sized.

But if I absolutely POSITIVELY fall in love with a sculpt, I'll cave in.

8. No. I already seem to have the odd luck of buying dolls and then finding out that they're oddly sized, so I end up having to look for clothes for them. I'd buy an oddly sized one even if I knew beforehand it was oddly sized, because there's almost always something in existence that will fit it, and if not, well, sewing basic clothing isn't terribly difficult. I've gotten good at research to find what will either fit as-is or can be altered to fit my unusually skinny or odd, in-between sized dolls, so generally, no-one here sits around naked for long.

9. Are you hesitant to buy oddly sized/shaped dolls because of clothing?
      Absolutely not. The first doll I bought, when I was a noob like no noob ever was, is the worst doll to buy clothes for there is. He's short, got long legs, is so skinny it's sad and so oddly shaped that there is almost nothing out there, including clothing from the company that made him, that fits properly (or at least the way I want them to fit). Finding anything is a challenge, and I only just got him jeans after nearly four years. Not, I might add, for lack of trying.

So of course I bought three more and am working on a fifth.

I have other odd sizes as well. It's hard, but worth it to me if I like the doll enough.

And for the record, I don't sew at all. Unless it's an arm or leg warmer or the occasional hat made from a sleeve. All hand sewn XD
      Badly.

I'm all about the oddities...bring 'em on. It makes things interesting. =D

10. I am now, yes. I've bought several oddly shaped dolls over the last few years and finding any sort of clothes for them was terrible. I loved them all so much but they were naked or wearing stuff that didn't fit them in the back so I couldn't really photograph them.

11. Kind of... I would like to get a Doll Chateau Olivia... but she's so tall, long limb-ed, and... well she's got some hips on her. Granted the character she's portraying only wears a long, v-necked sweater.... so If I can't find that, which I may not considering how... long she is, I'll just have to make it.

12. Yes, I am not gifted with the talent of sewing, so I would like to get dolls that have standard bodies. However, there are so many irregular sculpts that I like. I would think about it, but end up getting the more regular of the dolls that I like.

13. Yes. I have a Chicline El, and he's hard to clothe...But with so many dolls, and running out of characters, I'll admire them from afar.

14. Would you be more hesitant to buy a oddly shaped/size doll because it would be difficult to find clothes?

No. However, when I do purchase them, I purchase them because of their aesthetic appeal, and not due to "rarity". I am more worried over aesthetics and to a small extent, engineering (I want my dolls to stand and not flop around too much trying) Clothing wise, no I`m not worried as I can sew.
      However, I would like the company to have at least a few (quality) outfits for that specific doll available as I prefer my dolls to not be stark naked upon arrival, and I hate sewing from measurements.

In terms of that, I have at least 5+ dolls which cannot share clothing with other dolls of similar size genre.

15. Nope. I have a friend who's going to teach me how to sew, and if I end up saying 'screw it' I can always commission the lovely artists on here if they're willing to take on a challenge! I don't mind having to pay a little extra. :aheartbea All that matters to me is if the doll fits the character it's supposed to.

16. It makes the hunt for shoes and clothes that both fit and look good that much more interesting. Anyone can buy clothes for a standard size. I also like having a doll that's distinctive.

17. It seems like most of my boys are oddly shaped...and I have a Doll Chateau boy I'll be saving for so it doesn't look like that trend will be stopping any time soon lol

It can be a bit of a pain, but it's never stopped me :)

18. I would be a little hesitant...because I can't sew.. but if I fall in love , I know I would buy it anyway.

19. This is why I was deterred from buying the first doll I was saving for - a BBB Mei. I spent a lot of time here, asking tons and tons of questions about... well just about anything pertaining to the brand, their dolls, and dolls in general. It turned out that the BBB bodies are skinnier than most SD and MSDs (this is sort of true, being that I have another BBB, now) and no one seemed to be telling me where to get clothes that fit the BBB Mei, an MSD.

Some people had mentioned Unoa's, but I tried to do a search and couldn't find any. I still wish BBB would make some more clothes for their dolls so that finding something that fit wouldn't be so hard.

Eventually, I started to get the impression that I could either hire someone from DoA, keep searching, or sew my own. I didn't see the use of searching, and I didn't want to hire someone because I wasn't interested in doing that. At the time, I wasn't interested in sewing like I am now. I disliked the idea that I would have to learn to sew to dress my doll at all. I simply was not motivated to pick up a skill at the time.

In the end, I stopped saving for that doll, and eventually saved for a different doll - that I didn't need to sew for.

At that time, I did get motivated to learn to sew. Mainly, it was because I didn't want to save a bunch of money every time I wanted to get my dolls something new. Sewing was an option - not my ONLY option - so I didn't feel pressured to learn in time before my doll arrived.

Even now, I haven't sewn in a few months, and I'm pretty bad. The people who know how to sew will have no problem, but other people - like me - would.

20. I would be hesitant if it was a new doll on the scene, especially if there weren't any measurements available and there weren't a lot of people out in the community that didn't have the doll on-hand. I like being able to easily locate clothing for a doll, but there is a sense of adventure along with the frustration, I suppose, of finding the right clothes. I know how to sew, but I would use that as a last resort as I am not very proficient at it, and making my own patterns would probably be beyond my talents! But, if I fell in love with the entire sculpt, I don't think it would be an issue; they'd just sit around naked all the time!