1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls a comfort item?

Jul 13, 2019

1. I've been down today and I just noticed that I really just want to spend time with my doll. Do you guys see your dolls as comfort items or as art pieces? Maybe I'd feel more wary about taking her out if she was more customized.

2. I think they’re both, really, because what’s the point of hobbies if not to make you feel good? I’m constantly making things for my dolls so that’s the art part, but it’s definitely soothing when I’m stressed to start a doll project, or redress one, or take photos of them. I have a tiny that I bought to live in my purse because I find it soothing to always have him on me. I guess he’s my emotional support tiny. :XD:

3. i definitely see some of my dolls as comfort items, while others are more like art. a lot of the art stuff i have/do is more likely to cause anxiety than help it, so the dolls that i am working on customizing are not gonna be on the list of things i reach for when i’m down.

the dolls that i own with company faceups are more like comfort items. i think it’s because when i spend time with them i really feel like i’m playing with them (changing wigs, eyes, clothes, etc.) as opposed to feeling like i’m sitting down to do work. if that makes any sense.

4. That's how I feel about my unidoll cupi! She has the original company faceup (from 12 years ago, i think it's pretty impressive that it's held up so long) and I definitely feel like that makes me less anxious about bringing her out and about.

5. Definitly comfort items. They have helped me through a lot of rough days. My first doll is usually the one I reach for but once I've bonded with a Doll they can all be comforting to me. I just find playing with them very relaxing and can take your mind off things.

6. It makes me happy to be around my dolls. The hobby just in general cheers me up.

7. I definitely use my dolls as a form of support. Whenever I am stressed or am trying to deal with something out of my control I tend to start playing with my dolls more. I also find that I will just sit and hold my dolls more. It really helps me calm down.

8. I see my doll as a comfort item. Around the time mydoll arrived, I was grieving a death in the family. When I hold her or just even look at her face, I feel at ease.

9. Oh definitely. I enjoy most aspects of this hobby - looking at gorgeous dolls, looking at all the wonderful things people have made for gorgeous dolls, photography, photo stories - yep. Definitely comforting, as well as being art.

10. Art is meant to evoke feelings, so why can't it be comfort? Art piece and comfort object. If I don't have my SO with me at night, I'll put my doll on my bedside dresser and that helps me sleep better. I guess it just helps me feel less paranoid.

11. I definitely love having my dolls around to get my mind out of all the adulting around me.. I think they can be comforting as art pieces, as well as comforting to play with, depending on the doll or the situation.

12. Absolutely! They put me in a different state of mind where I don't have to deal with life stress or my own mental health problems.
      I'm even planning to have a yosd I can take with me when I go out, so he'll be my main comfort companion. :)

13. I see them all as both! Before they arrived I definitely assumed they’d be a solely artistic endeavor but when they got here I was in love. I thought I was crazy! Very relieved to find other people found them therapeutic.

14. Definitely a comfort item, but also art. I do play with my dolls, thought they usually sit in display dioramas. My dolls are an escape from the stresses of real life. When I need a break from it all, I usually end up with my dolls, changing their clothes, taking pictures, making things for them, etc. I've taken a doll to work on hard days, and I've taken one to the hospital with me.

15. Definitely some of my dolls are comfort items and I love looking at them and holding them, or just placing them near me when I want company. I have pets who are my first forms of comfort and I cuddle them etc. But my dolls are shaped and look like *humans* and sometimes all I want is *human* company if I'm lonely so that's where my dolls step in.

16. Yes, my dolls are comfort items, especially my smallest dolls, two Piposland Cheshire cats, their great big cheery grins always make me smile back, It is compulsive, I don't think anyone could NOT smile at them! I am a very anxious person, so even sewing the costumes I make for my dolls can be very stressful for me. Several of my dolls own books, so sometimes I get out a doll and a book for them so they can read with me. It is oddly soothing.

17. Definitely comfort item. I got my first doll during a hard time on my marriage, followed by a divorce. I live in another country far from family and friends so my doll was my company. Now I’m in a better situation of my life but my doll continues being something I love spending time with.

18. My dolls just make me happy so I guess in a sense that is comforting! I have never gone to them in times of sadness/upset though, so maybe I will need to try that!

19. My dolls are definitely a source of comfort. But they are also my creative outlet, stress relief, and lovely art peices. I think thats why I love them so much. They fill so many different needs for me, and can be exactly what I need in the moment. I can have a model for sewing, or see how a clay project will look with them. Or I can put them in whatever pretty or cute or silly clothes i want and pose them however and just enjoy their lovelyness and company.

20. My dolls are certainly comfort items, really similar to everyone else here who has replied so far. Sometimes when I'm having a hard day at work, it's made better by knowing I can return home at the end of the day and just de-stress with my dolls. I'm really fascinated by how different dolls make me feel. Like they have different ones of my emotions tied to them. Two are more happy and I enjoy them when I want a giggle. Others are more serious and some cuddly so those are the ones I go to when I need comfort or need a doll to just sit with me.