1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls a family?

Jul 25, 2019

1. I'm FINALLY going to open my first bjd tomorrow, and I know nothing about her except that she's the big sister to my two off topic dolls. I'm so excited!

Are your dolls a family? Do you have brothers and sisters or husbands and wives or children?

2. Some of mine are family (I have one pair who are cousins and one pair of sisters), some are friends/counterparts/rivals, but most start out totally unrelated. I figure it all out very slowly over time. For example, many of my dolls represent or will become characters from various favorite video games I had over the years. Their worlds don’t really mix in my mind, although they may stand right beside each other on the shelf. Maybe I’ll eventually see “interactions” or correlations between them, but currently I don’t. :sweat

3. Congratulations on your new girl! All of my dolls are "family" but none of them are blood related. It kind of reminds me of the typical asian familial relationships where everyone is your "cousin" even when it's just your parents friends children XD
      I have 6 boys, 3 SD and 3 YoSD (smaller shells of the big bois) They are all "brothers" and call each other such but it's not by blood :)

4. My main ones are characters and not related but dating my partners dolls. But not all of my dolls fit together - some are just in different story's. I have a hodge podge collection of different styles.

5. My smaller 4 are siblings; eventually I'll have their mom. My SD doesn't quite fit but someday I'll start thinking about a sculpt for her brother.

6. Congrats on the new doll!
      I have a few dolls that are family, along with my sisters dolls.
      It really helps to build a characters personality when you build a family dynamic for them, I think.

7. I have two father-son pairs... kind of. There are two unrelated sons from different stories. The father plays two different characters in the same doll and is father to each son within their story. Even more confusing is that the girlfriend of one son in one story is the mother of the other son in the other story. :? No weird hijinks; just maximizing storytelling potential by reusing doll shells because the character aesthetics are similar.

Another of my dolls is cousin to my friend’s boy. Someday, I might like to shell a character who would add a third generation.

Making some of my dolls related has given me an excuse to have multiple pale dark-haired men. :wiggle

8. None of mine are family but they are definitely all friends, some better relationships than others, only two of the younger girls have occasional animosity between them. I keep them a reasonable distance from each other but who knows what goes on after I am asleep.

9. Three of my dolls (all 1/4) are friends. The others are each in their own "universe" so to speak, and don't have any relation to each other. I've thought about looking for a brother for one of the 1/4 girls, but it's only been a casual thought.

10. In some cases, yes. It's convoluted but.....

The majority of my SD sized (and a few smaller) dolls are members of the same, extended, Victorian family of children. They are siblings, half-siblings and cousins (10 girls, 4 boys, plus the smaller sizes). One of them is a more distant cousin who doesn't live with them.

Two others are sisters to each other but not related to the main group (and occupy a different time period too). One of my mini's is a stand alone but also from this period.

One of my Petite Ai is the youngest sibling in the Victorian family, the other Petite Ai and one of the Little Junior Ai are little sister and big brother (and neighbours to the big Victorian family).

One of my Larger Mini's is younger brother in the Victorian family, another of them is a younger sister, one is a stand-alone modern little girl (possibly to soon be joined by another modern girl or, possibly there will be another stand-alone from yet another historical period).

My two regular Mini's are brother and sister and were originally part of the Victorian family but have somehow got transferred out of it so are pretty much a group (of two) of their own these days.

My three slim mini's are a group of mid-to-late-teens/early 20's friends but not related.

Two of my TeenyTinies are brother and sister.

The majority of my tinies are groups of unrelated friend, although some form part of a shared household.

Due to all existing within my house, and space restrictions, there are physical-world overlaps and groupings. The distant cousin from the main Victorian family shares shelfspace with the two 1920's/30's sisters, the little 1920's/30's girl and some off topic dolls, for example, the Minis and In-betweenies (unoa chibi and similar sizes) sit together, most of the tinies sit together etc.

And the Lusion girl, being so much bigger than the rest, is pretty much a group of her own

Friendships between groupings add to the convoluted nature of things too, but in a household of over 50 BJD, plus at lest as many off-topic dolls, plus bears and stuffies, I think that's to be expected.

Teddy

11. My crew is a family! Though I only have one of them shelled and one in the way.

So basically, I have Victoria (Resinsoul Mi - shelled), her girlfriend Rebecca (Argodoll plus size 1/3 body with LLT Red Dove head - unshelled atm) and their adopted special needs son Torin (Loongsoul LoLo - on the way!)

So, none are blood related but, it’s a family for sure! In fact I have no other dolly plans apart from getting them all shelled and looking like themselves.

12. None of mine are related. The minimees are just dolls without ‘characters’ really. The others are from my novels. Some are like family, but not blood related.

13. I have a few sibling groups in my larger crowd, but overall I loosely imagine them as part of an anime-style Japanese school system. There's the kindergarten division for the YoSDs, the elementary school and junior high for the minis, the high school for the 60cms, and a university nearby for the 70cms. Plus, some of the 70cm dolls are teachers or involved in neighborhood businesses, the fantasy dolls are connected to the shrine down the street, there are exchange students from other countries, etc., etc. It's not a scheme I work out in much detail -- just a fun concept in the back of my mind that I apply when I'm in the mood.

14. All my dolls (both current and an incoming one) are a three-generation family group. My two primary dolls are a couple, the father and mother to fraternal twins (one of which is the aforementioned incoming doll). The remaining tiny doll is a sprite-like creature who's the biological mother/creator of my primary girl, hence the maternal grandmother of the twins.

15. yes, they are.all my boys are brothers. :dance

16. My DD, MDD and LAD are sisters. My playscale dolls are all character dolls so they aren't. They are more like friends who came over and never left. lol

17. Like Havra mentioned above, some of my dolls are shelling two separate and distinct characters and I just happen to reuse the sculpt. And like Teddy there's characters from distinctly different time periods. And then there's the sizes. It's probably easier to list the characters who are NOT related: my DZ Mo-B, RS Song and my two RS tinies are not related and do not share universes, though they're all from an Early Renaissance time period.
      My Spiritdoll Echium and Impldoll Delia are in-laws, and Echium's son is my MDF Bory. His coworkers are my Unoa Akubi and Summerbird Viola (And these two are girlfriends).
      THEN my other minis are all either related (DZ Shoyo and KDF Bory are first cousins while DZ Megi and KDF Ttori are father and daughter, while my Souldoll is from a rival family and my LM is a distant "cousin"/in-law) or friends within the same story (RS Wu).
      And my two YoSDs are shells of my living family members (and one who passed away) so yeah, they're all related.

18. Perhaps I should have gone for that option....

Teddy

19. most of my dolls are part of the same story but only a few are blood related so most of it is that friend family that just acts like they were blood related or something of that sort . for actual blood-relations I currently have a a descendant of one (as the first isa ghost in my story that still hangs around their families' land) and I will eventually have a Mother and son (possibly even the father) pair if I can get ahold of the right head for the mother's shell. the son is going to be on his way in the next couple months.

20. Mostly, they’re just friends or linked by one two degrees of separation within the same story, but Parker is Amir’s (step)son and the next girl I have on my wishlist will be Stan’s sister. Cian, Meghan and Marley are younger siblings of former dolls I’ve sold off. I tend to do this thing where I’ll have a ‘generation’ of dolls that I enjoy for awhile until I’m bored of their story, then I start a new story with their younger siblings and/or kids.