1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Artists and BJDs

Sep 4, 2009

1. I know there are a lot of artists (this can mean just about anything creative--although I'm mostly thinking of the drawing/painting/graphics/designing/visual art sorts, but all are welcome to comment here) on DoA who are interested in BJDs, and I've always been a bit curious about it.

-------------------
      Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?

Do you think that artists have extra advantages in being a BJD owner?

Anything else you might want to discuss regarding artists and BJDs?

------------------

Sorry for all the questions! Please feel free to skip any you wish... I tend to be overly wordy!

Personally, I've been a free-lance illustrator and computer game artist for years. I love BJDs because I love choosing various eye colors and wigs and clothes and creating something that is appealing to me. I don't actually use my dolls for inspiration, mostly just a creative extension--but I will totally rationalize their possible use to me artistically to justify buying a doll if I feel like it! :D

Having them has made me think about things such as photography, more. I haven't really gotten into new fields because of them, but I've dabbled in photography and faceups and things I wouldn't have done otherwise if I didn't have BJDs. They ARE a time and money-sink though, and DO take away from time I should be creating art (this is more true when I'm free-lancing, since they compete for the same time. When I'm working at a job, it's more easy to separate the time out; but then, if I were more disciplined, this wouldn't be a problem).

I'm not sure if there's a huge relationship between being an artist and liking BJDs, but I'm sure it's related a bit to the whole creativity-outlet thing (I liked dolls before BJDs, I also liked anime/manga; it's probably all connected a little). I DO know a fair number of fantasy artists and a few of them are BJD owners, which is amusing to me (and good since I have friends who are also into BJDs). Of course, I know a ton of artists more who are not into BJDs...

I totally admire all the creativity associated with BJDs by people who regard themselves as artists as well as by those who think of themselves just as ordinary owners. It's very exciting and inspiring to see! I think BJDs bring out a lot of creativity in everyone.

2. Eeeh, lots of questions~! This is my kinda' thread! *pounces*

Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists? I'm not sure about other people, but when I found out just how much work people put into painting their dolls--I as a sort-of artist myself, couldn't have been more thrilled and interested.

Yeah, I draw anime-inspired things, and I've done fan-art for some of the doll-owners on dA because they really inspired me. It's just something about the realism and souls within BJDs that really speak to me. I've heard some people call them anime dolls, but I really don't see them like that at all--nor are they simplistic like Barbies or other dolls which I don't care for at all. I see those as flat, emotionless, and just silly. BJDs are something else. I can't really put into words how I feel about them. Even though I don't have one yet, they've become something very important to me already... They have meaning to me...artistically, even spiritually perhaps, that's what draws me to them.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?
      Oh yes, I find Ball Joint Dolls to be very inspirational. I can't wait to have my first girl around. In addition to being a great character vessel I already see her as a friend and confidant.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?
      I may not physically have my doll yet, but I've already taken inspiration from her photographs in at least one of my current art pieces. I'm looking forward to being able to do more.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      I don't think my love of art is hurting it, but I also think non-artists could get something out of it too. Clothing designers, doll lovers, anyone just wanting some pretty asian to hide in their closet... You can take something out of any situation or thing. So, I wouldn't say artists have some special relationship with BJDs, although they do see it differently. Everyone is unique as are their lives, experiences, and dolls. BJDs is an equal opportunity hobby in my book.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?
      I don't know if I would have ever discovered BJDs without being on dA, and I guess by proxy without my love of anime drawing (or fictional writing), but I don't see the need to define the connection ultimately.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      I can bet when I get my first girl she's gonna' take up a big chunk of my time while I'm working on learning more about her, but I can't make any predictions at this time. I don't think anything negative would result though. Art wise at any rate.

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      Well, since I found out about these lovely dolls, I've been happily looking forward to getting back into sewing...so, yeah. Good fun~! *pauses* Which reminds me... I need to practice with my mother's sewing machine. And working with patterns.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      Skipping as I think I'll just repeat myself.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?
      Owners...in my area no. Worldwide, perhaps a lot and growing. It's more popular than I anticipated. It seems like ALL of my friends knew about them before I did. (They don't own any, so I hope to be the first and rub it in their faces for not telling me about them! *partly kidding*)

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)
      I don't think there's any set group. People come in all types and there may be some artists that dabble in many different types of art at the same time. I don't think it's fair to categorize.

I loves them~! And I can't wait until I can afford my Luts Dreaming Shiwoo. (And then Volks Ryoya. *nod nod* He will be mine.) As for bringing anything else to this conversation...hmm... I think I'm good for the moment, but I'll post again if I think of anything. Which odds are I will.

Again, this thread is great. Thanks!

3. Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?

I enjoy both writing as well as visual art. What drew me originally to bjds was their beauty, what's kept me so in love with them is the fact that they are such a wonderful creative outlet. This hobby does me to bring in other hobbies/interests/skills into dolls, which is really fun.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?

Oh god, yes. A lot of mine are fictional characters I used to write about when I was in college. Buying dolls to fit characters is one reason my crew grew rather rapidly.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?

They really do inspire me--I had stopped writing as a hobby several years before, and getting back into dolls and buying bodies for characters really got me writing again.

I don't think it has anything to do with my initial interest, but for me personally, I think it's added to my hobby experience and makes it very dynamic.

Yes--in more ways than one. I love manga style art, and seeing bjds for the first time was amazing, because they were reminiscent of that style, but 3-D. Also, I first discovered bjds when I was looking through an art site (which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't been working on the comic, which I wouldn't have been working on if I hadn't gotten interested in manga), and somebody had posted a pic of their Happy Doll boy wearing a new outfit. The person mentioned he was an Asian ball jointed doll, so I immediately went to find more information--and now here I am with a living room full of resin.

Mixed bag. Though how disciplined I should be is something I haven't decided on. Most of what I do, I do for fun so nothing bad is going to happen if I don't get a comic page done or something else drawn. However, I used to be incredibly disciplined about working on the comic and I fell out of that. I don't think it was due to dolls, because I was having some motivational issues slightly before. I think it was more a mix of being a little burned out, having my routine changed due to moving in with my then roommate, and wanting to spend time on other things too. I still do work on it, but it's very off and on. Dolls can be a distraction, but if it wasn't them it would probably be something else.

This hobby itself is very artistic and creative, so I'm probably just filling that need here, but as long as it's being filled, I suppose that's what's important.

I do like faceups, I have started sewing more, but it really brought me back to writing. At first it was more because I didn't have all the cast/props/my own camera to do their stories in photostory form, but I actually just enjoy writing more.

Yes, they play into a love for creating characters and wanting to tell stories--so they're very much an extension of that. I don't think it's improved or not improved, but more that I'm more inspired in some areas than I had been before.

There does seem to be a lot, but the hobby is very creative, so that makes sense.

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)

I'm not really sure. There seems to be quite a mix around here.

4. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      -Sure! Especially if you're into doing face-ups and photography

-Yes, I paint and do graphic art. Though honestly, Ireally just like them because they're preety :)

-Sometimes characters, though that's usually separate from actual art for me. As in, I will draw my characters or cosplay my dolls, etc.

-Rationalizing :(

- I found out about BJDs through deviatart, where I post some of my work, so I would definitely call the two related.

-I openly admit that the fact that my DOC Homme Kirill looks just like Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass) makes me happy all the time :)

- I see the two as separate enough, so they don't really interfere with one another.

- I'm about to start doing faceups. I've been working with acrylics for a while now, so I anticipate decent results. I consider it a broadening of my artistic skill for sure.

- I think so! I also make outfits for my dolls, and it has greatly improved y skills at sewing. Dolls make you a renaissance person? Sure.

- I'm not sure. I don;t know enough other BJD owners.

- Sure. I'm an anime/manga artist. They resemble my form of art (in my opinion) so I think there's a link.

- Writers! Do any other writers use dolls to portray their literary inventions?

5. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Probably, due mostly to the fact that BJD's are so versatile and customizable.

I don't know if I'd consider myself an artist... I dabble in all sorts of things. I write, draw, do photography, model for stock photography, and have even tried my hand in photomanipulation. I have drawn and written about my characters, both as dolls and ones I plan on having as dolls. Some of our photoshoots for stock were inspired by clothing & attitudes our dolls have.

Hmmm, I suppose I could. My girlfriend/co-writer and I plan on having a full cast from at least one of our stories we plan on publishing. In fact, our doll wish list is basically a huge character list and the dolls we think work for them. It's subject to change at any time.

In drawing, I don't actually use models, unless it's for hands or placement of wrists. For writing, it's easier for me to get in the viewpoint character's head if there's a doll of him/her around. It's not necessary, fortunately, but it helps.

I think it's 50/50 for me. I love doing the face-ups and coming up with stories and backstories for my dolls and characters, but at the same time I jump at the chance to challenge myself with something that is thought to be difficult or time-consuming. Then again, that could be my creative/artistic side coming out.

While I like anime/manga, and am on DA, I actually didn't get involved in the hobby until I saw my girlfriend's dolls and had a chance to photograph them and play with them. It appeals to both my inner child and my artistic side. Which I think are one and the same.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?[/B]

Well, considering that my BJDs are characters in stories I plan to publish, writing about them doesn't seem to interfere. Photographing them, giving them mods, face-ups, or blushing them lets me go to the calm, quiet place and helps me think. Like any time-consuming task.

Definitely. I used to just draw and write. After getting involved in the hobby, I started photographing and doing face-ups. I just recently learned that body blushing is fun and challenging.

I would say so, as it helps me get in the character's head and figure them out. Also, the fact that I can see what a certain character looks like before hand definitely helps keep me from obsessing over it during the creation. It's helped me lay off the obsessive character description.

I think that a great deal of BJD owners are very artistic, in very different ways. I wouldn't say all, but most, definitely.

Well, I think BJDs as a whole might attact more fantasy than landscaping artists, but I wouldn't consider that a solid rule. But I think its a diverse subculture that we have, with all types, from writers to poets, to painters to photographers, to metel workers to sculpters.

6. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

I think it's possible, but not necessarily the case; I'd think it would be quite individual.

I do think someone more accustomed to being able to express their creativity may be drawn to the ability -- and encouragement -- to customize these dolls, or perhaps be a little less afraid of trying to.

This next thing may come off a little preachy. I don't intend it to, but it is something I've noticed over a period of years: for people who aren't artists, appreciation for the amount of actual work, expense, effort, time, and so on that is involved in many creative endeavors is not always there. Obviously, there are many exceptions to this among people who appreciate the arts and support them, or have an interest from the consumer or viewer standpoint, but a lot of this is learned behavior and a good deal of it can come from understanding what goes in to any given art object. That isn't an intrinsic thing, it really is learned. Since I consider BJDs art objects unto themselves before we ever get a hold of them, and suspect many other artists on the board likely feel similarly or at least have an understanding of this concept and what goes in to making them, some of the initial gut-twisting price factor may not necessarily be as much of an issue among artists as it is with the casual consumer. I could be completely wrong about this -- and it's not like artists tend to make a fortune -- but I do think it's very likely a factor. Knowing what kind of effort goes in to something can make a huge difference on what someone is, or is not, willing to invest in.

Yes, and 'lots of kinds' ...kindasorta.

I've studied fashion and costume design in college, along with illustration. What I've studied is actually not what I do for (what passes for) a living, and what I studied isn't the sum of what I can do or have done. I tend to pick up skills on a whim, and if I collect -anything- consistently through my lifetime it's random skills related to costume design. Silk painting, by age 10, with a crash course in shibori about a decade ago. There's a four harness loom on the porch buried in boxes that I learned how to use before I entered gradeschool, and a table loom in my mother's house next door. Knitting, felt like learning one day, bought a book, and now my house is full of yarn. Leather mask-making, bead-looming, glass beadmaking, wigmaking... tried quite a bit of it at least once. Sometimes I'll study one of these things to be able to complete a project the way I envision it, sometimes it's just a random thing that nests in my brain and whispers, "Learn me! I will then take up precious space in your gray matter that was wasted on silly things like your boyfriend's birthday and the name of your third grade teacher!" Basically, I don't think most artists do 'one thing'. We really do a lot of things, and it's how they all collide, cross-influence, and intersect at the end that makes up our 'style'.

As for what pays the bills, it's a combination of 3D texturing and jewelry design. How I got there from all of the above? Even I don't know. I seem to do something different 'for a living' every five years or so, because interests and markets shift wildly.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?

Yes and no. Professionally... to a point. I shape features on the models I work with, and having a number of beautiful faces around me isn't exactly a bad thing in terms of inspiration. I try for 'very realistic' in that sense, though, so it's not like I can actually use my dolls as models in that regard at all.

What they are handy for is in exercising that collection of random skills. Knitting myself a sweater? I have two I started in the past few years that will never be complete, but my dolls have about a half dozen, because I can finish them more rapidly (and their sizes don't change, I can actually afford enough good yarn for a doll sweater, and so on). Making a hand-dyed gown? Much easier when it's small. Plus, let's face it -- they look far better in pretty skimpy nothings or frou frou of doom than I ever would on my best of days, and they won't get arrested or institutionalized for wearing them. Again, lower material costs help, but really, it's the chance to exercise those skills and a different kind of creativity than the 'make a living kind', which comes with a lot of 'make a living' stress attached.

In the end, in all seriousness: BJDs, they're still cheaper than therapy.

Being an artist is... well, it's who and what I've always been. I haven't ever been 'outside' of that mentality to be able to say one way or the other how I might feel otherwise. I do think it's a safe generalization to say that everyone, artist or not, has their own reasons, and even among artists there will be enough commonalities and differences that make everyone's reasons quite distinct.

I've actually had it up to my neck with anime. The roomie is an over the top, diehard fan, and it's actually a connection made by a lot of people with these dolls that was more likely to push me away from them than draw me in. I don't despise it, but I am regularly at the very brink of my tolerance level with it.

That said, one of my favorite artists since I was very young is Yoshitaka Amano, and I discovered him through my own phase of anime addiction in junior high. The similarity between his watercolors and illustrations and the dolls I find myself drawn to most frequently is undeniable for me.

It's positive for me. The dolls are there when I need to rejuvenate in some way. They have more than once helped prevent some major burnout. I'm a workaholic, and usually 'should be focusing on other things' for me in recent years has meant 'something, -anything- other than working from the moment I wake up to the moment I crawl into bed'.

No, it hasn't changed anything with my focus, though I find it crazy-frustrating that I still can't do a faceup to save my life. Like everything else, it's practice, practice, practice, and I do try to do that whenever I can.

Yes, in that they are a low-pressure creative outlet. Having them really hasn't enhanced my skills in other areas, other than 'keeping my tenuous grasp on that silly thing called sanity'. ;)

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of artist collectors. I had collected fashion dolls for many years before buying a BJD, and in my experience of that community, artists seem much more common amongst BJD collectors.

Hard to say, really. I've noticed a number of writers (I consider writers to be artists), but as for the rest, it seems to be a very wonderfully varied mix. :)

7. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I think that artists are attracted to them a lot because they are artists and Bjds are beautiful, but I don't think they are any more attracted to them than non-artist people.
      I am, in fact. Mostly very stylized cartoons and manga, I hope to write my own comic someday. I am drawn to BjDs because they are precisely the kind of beauty I try to emulate in my own life and I love to be around such beautiful things all the time.

Wellll now, that sounds like a plan. meh meh meh....
      I do use bjds as inspiration quite often. Pretty mach all I draw at school are pictures of BJDs I've seen, or at least the drawings are in a style influenced by the doll-style of a certain company. I very rarely use my doll as a 'live' model--I do most stuff from memory.
      I do think my love of BJDs has stemmed from my love of art. My aesthetics in the art world, when it comes to people, are very similar to that of my dolls.
      Not really. Anime and Manga did lead me to become an artist and I do see some of the same styles I see in comics in the BJD world but I do not see them as really related.
      It's a positive influence. When I collected just blythe dolls my anatomy went down the drain. having something realistic to base a drawing after is a good thing for me.
      I have done a more realistic style ever since I got into BJDs. Much less cartooney. I have not tried my hand at faceups yet, but I would like to in the future.
      Definitely helped me. As I said before: it's good to have a more realistic model than Blythe.
      I haven't really noticed. I consider face-ups a type of art so I guess theres a relation in that regard.
      Anime people, probably, because they are already in the mind of the Asian aethetic and the "everything from Japan is awesome" mindset.
      <3 No, but I want to announce that my first boy will be in the mail soon and I'm so impatient for him!!! I keep drawing pictures of him at school...

8. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I think that it could have a special attraction to artists because it allows you to do what you want to the doll for things like fashion(clothing), face-up(painting artists) and photographers. The BJD's allow so much potential for any kind of artist and they can help in many ways, personally I like BJD's because I would like to draw them along with thinking they are beautiful.

Yes, I paint, draw, photograph, write and on the occasion I attempt to make clothing :sweat. My main pitch though is painting and drawing, I hold a high place in my art class for these things. I have been painting and drawing for years, when I found a BJD on DA I found her amazing and just had to draw her(with permission of course) for an art project in school, the teacher loved it. What draws me to BJDs are their likeness to humans and how they are realistic, as I am a realism artist I like the realistic feel. (I test a little bit of everything because I have classes for everything in my school, I really would like to know what I like best, painting and drawing though seems to be my favorite as that is what I am best at)

I am not using my artwork as a reason for buying my BJD but they are going to be used in it when I get back to school. I find the BJD's beautiful and something I would like to find myself hobbying, its not a full artwork thing for me at all. They will be my little girls and I will use them how I see fit.

I have used one or two as models for a project in art class and I was in love with the art that I drew of them.

I do not think that being an artist is has any relation to my love of BJD's. I just like the beautifulness of the dolls themselves, I am one of those people who will walk down the street and get distracted by something pretty or shiny :sweat

I do think that there is a relationship between liking A/M art and my love of BJD's. I wouldnt have of known anything about them if I hadnt of found one while shopping at a convention for A/M at one time. I think they closely resemble some A/M characters I know of and that is a high reason for me wanting them.

No, I believe it will be a mixed bag type of thing. They will help with my artwork as most of my art classes have freedom in projects and you can use anything as inspiration, with these dolls here they will be huge inspirations for me and I will be able to broaden my technique.

No it has not as I do not yet own my first BJD(she's on her way home :)), however I believe that I might possibly change some of my artistic focus when she gets here and I try my hand at faceups or mods.

YES! BJDs have extended my creativity in a way, they have helped me improve the way I draw realistic joints on the human body and the exact details of certain features. BJD's have so many detailed extensions that you HAVE to learn how to detail properly to get the doll so beautiful in your drawing.

I think its about average as alot of people begin being artistic while doing faceups for their BJD's.

I believe that BJD's attract all kinds of artists as BJD's add something to any type of art, they had realism in an inanimate object with tremendous beauty.

Artists who have BJD's are probably in love with them just the same as normal people are, I for one fit into the artist group but... I still have the same love for my girl as any other person does. Being an artist only means that you have something else to inspire what you do.

9. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Yes. The sheer level of customization - eyes, makeup, clothes, wigs, etc - could mean to some that if you get tired of your doll's 'look' you can change the smallest thing and your doll can look completely different.

I'm an amateur photographer. One of the main reasons for buying a BJD was that, living where I do, It's hard to find someone to model for me so I can experiment with something other than nature photography. Owning BJD can help me improve.

Yup. BJDs make excellent models. As far as Characters go, so far my girl doesn't fit into any of the characters I usually roleplay with. She's her own creature.

A little of both.

I think it does. Getting a stunning photograph - or one I'm proud of - makes me really happy. And while I'd probably get that photographing eagles or scenery, a good picture of my doll only makes me love her more. ^_^

I've always liked Anime/Manga, but I don't nessisarily associate it with BJDs. Anime is it's own thing, and while things cross over - like making a doll into your favorite character from, say, Bleach - it is distinctly it's own.

I use my BJDs in my art, so it's roughly the same. I could probably take my camera out on an overcast day and snap scenic photos, but sometimes I'd rather wait for a sunnier day and take my doll.

I was doing nature photography, and now I'm experimenting with 'fashion' and 'portrait' photography.

I think it has.

I think a lot of artists are drawn to BJDs because they're customizable and easy to work with. A stunning photo can inspire someone else, someone who's maybe not into photography, to take their doll and their camera and see if they can do the same. This goes for faceups, sewing and drawing as well. Though the first two sometimes has painful-to-look-at results.

I think it's about even, but probably more photographers than anything else.

Nope.

10. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I think the dolls themselves are streamlined and there is something to just the clean sleek beauty of a bjd.

I've been an illustrative artist for awhile, professional for about 5 years. Just their grace and beauty attracted me to them.

I was initially thinking to have one as a pose model for my images would be a wonderful aid. But in the end I found I was buying them for the characters I had already made in my head.

I havent used them as models for my illustration, however I have used them in a comic series I started, taking actual pictures of them in amusing situations. I do also enjoy taking nature pictures with them as models.

Being an artist of any kind gives you a good eye for beauty/uniqueness and the potential of these that one could make with a blank canvas/model. Artists arent any different from other people (heck I was a secretary full time paying the bills that my art didnt cover for years). Everyone has their own reasons for loving/liking the BJDs, artistic reasons are just one of many.

Since college I have been watching anime and I fell in love with the Bishonen style and many of the male BJDs out there are exactly that, beautiful men/boys. But there is also people who after owning a bjd start to watch anime/manga. So there is a good possibility that one can lead to the other.

Actually they can sometimes be a nice distraction when you are beating your head against a wall for an art piece that is giving your trouble.

I found that I dont mind doing faceups and because of BJDs I have tried my hand at jewelry making, clothing making and faceups (all of which i would have never tried before having a bjd).

BJDs have made me attempt different areas of art that I wouldnt have normally tried.

I think a lot of people who get into collecting of some kind find they become (if they werent already) a form of artist (from sculpting your own, to painting them, clothing them, jewelery making.. etc).

I think they attract all types of people from all walks. There is something for everyone when you have a BJD

actually you covered quite a bit in your questions ;)

11. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Of course! BJD's are pieces of art in themselves.

Just a generic anime/cartoon sketch artist... but I observe many kinds of art and photography (usually where the subject is a person) so I can't help but want to dissect and critique all the parts of a doll's design- something that represents humans.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? No.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? Neither.

A little of both really, I have always loved toys, figures, plush and dolls, so some of it is same satisfaction anyone would have from owning a nice doll. But having an inclination to take extreme note of a doll's sculpt is from my art side.

Other than I sometimes feel like dressing up a doll like a favorite character, not really. Even then I'll just notice a character has an outfit that happens to work well with a doll's style or attitude.

They are totally separate. The kind of creative outlet that my doll provides has nothing to do with any other art I have done. It neither contributes or hinders any other projects I may have. Playing with my doll is in the category of 'fun time' like playing a video game is.

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)? No.

When I play with mixing and matching the doll fashions I see online I think I've gradually learned new styles, or rather, refined some of my favorite trends.

I think that making anything for your doll gives you crafting ability, but the level of design of said item decides if that makes the owner an artist (including face-ups). As for art not directly related to the dolls themselves, I'm not surprised by the number of people that happen to be true/professional artists and (what seems to be the majority) of average artists that have the level of most kids playing on DeviantArt. But this is merely a guess as I have not personally met very many doll owners.

Because of their human (or antro) form, I would think that landscape artists would be fewer in number. But as for any other artist I imagine its about the same, but I can't help but think there are other people like me that are into the dolls just because they are nice dolls- and just happen to be an artist of some kind.

It's true that by a long chain of association over several years I did learn about asian bjd's through being an anime/manga artist, but I do know some people that learn of them because they used to be serious Barbie collectors. It's obvious many people here learned of/love bjd's because they want to make them into the characters they've created in some other art form, but I just wanted to put in the opinion that for me, the doll's sculpt and general personal taste can invent a new character on the spot just for that doll.

12. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

-I think so, the bjd hobby is very creative. You are putting together outfits, picking out wigs and eyes... even people who just buy the full sets usually take pictures of their dolls.

- I've been a freelance artist and done work on comic books and want to move into fashion. The fun of putting together a look for a doll and trying to take photographs (I'm not a very good photographer, dolls got me started taking pictures) are what draw me to them. Also, I can't have children so I guess they are kind of like my little daughters.

- No, I've never used it as a reason to buy one. There are times when I feel like I might want to sketch my dolls but I never have time.

- no

- I think it might have a relation, I like to put things together and decorate my office around them.

- Even though I've watched anime/manga since the early 80's I don't think it was what made me notice BJD, I think the only connection is the general interest in Asian goods. However I do think that anime/manga interest contributed to my liking of dolls like Blythe and Pullip because many people who haven't grown up on anime think the large heads look strange. XD

- it does take up WAY too much time and can keep me from working on art ;o;

- I don't think my focus has changed

- it has probably only hindered it in the form of taking up a lot of time/money

- it does seem so but I don't think there are many professionals, it's mostly people dabbling, but there do seem to be a lot of crafters!

crafters and people who can sew

uhh, not that I can think of right now

13. Q....Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

A....Yes and no! The artistic attraction I think would be how customisable these BJD's are and the articulation for photography is endless.

Q....Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?

A...Yes, I've been involved with artwork for a long time, from Landscape, Folkart and other mediums......What drew me to BJD's was that they are a doll.....I have always collected dolls.....these are my "ultimate" dolls......

Q....Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?

A...The two just fell into place for me....I do find them inspirational and they get my artistic "juices" flowing......I was never much into taking photos of my dolls but now I just can't stop myself! I find them to be wonderful little models. I much prefer taking photos of BJD's rather than real people!

Q...Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?

A...Yes, I do use them as models....I don't use the "art thing" to rationalize buying them at all.........I really love "playing" with them and setting them up for photo shoots. I love turning them into little characters.....

Q...Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?

A...Maybe a little.....But the main reason for me having BJD's is my love for dolls....I'm a dollie nut! I can't remember a time when I didn't have a doll...

Q...Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?

A...Maybe for those who are into Anime/Manga..... I'm very much into the "older" styles of art and antiquities....I don't know much at all about Anime or Manga?

Q...Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?

A...Yes, BJD's do take me "away" from my "other" artwork!.....I know I should be focusing on my Interior Design work...I'm always thinking about the dolls!....But in the long run I get it all finished......A bit of a mixed bag!

Q...Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?

A...Not really. I was painting other dolls faces before BJD's came into my life....I love to do face-up's and using Soft Pastels was something new for me. I really enjoy seeing the blank doll "come to life" right before my eyes.

Q...Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?

A...They have helped me to do better sewing! I love making "Shabby" little dresses for them. So yes, I think they are little extensions of my creativity!

Q...Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?

A...Quite a few owners are artists of some sort. But, I was drawn to BJD's because they are dolls........I just love dolls.....

Q....Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)

A....Maybe they attract more photographer artists than other types. But that's just a guess!

Well, only that I have these dolls because I love to play with them....it wasn't for the "Artist" side of me......I am glad that I discovered BJD's...they make playing with dolls so much more fun........;)

xen :)

14. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Yep! They are special, not mass produced objects that can be customized and made unique. This is probably appealing to most artists.

Yep! Graphic designer, trying to get back into illustration. Used to be a wedding photographer. What draw me to BJDs are the artistic nature of the sculpts, the potential for customization, and the artistic muse, mainly in photography.

Sort of. I use art as an excuse to buy them but mainly just for people who don't understand BJDs. It's an easy way to justify it to them. As far as actual use of them as a muse, they inspire me indirectly. I keep them right next to my computer where I do my work and they inspire me to do what I do because I see how great they look and how well made they are and it makes me happy and drives me to make my work the best I can.

Definitely being an artist draws me to them. I see the sculptor of the mold as the artist and one of the main reasons I have BJDs is because I see them as art that I'm allowed to touch, hold, inspect, and see whenever I want, as opposed to art at a museum that you cannot touch or take with you.

Definitely for other people, but neither are my cup of tea. Maybe I'm just getting to be an old fart but I don't really like anime or DA any more. I used to like both before discovering BJDs but it was when I was younger and not as focused on a career. Plus, I think I'm in a somewhat minority group of people on DoA who like BJDs because I like dolls, not because I like anime, Japanese things, or DA. lol!

YES! Since my work does not directly correlate with my dolls, I find myself playing with my dolls, staring at them, or browsing DoA when I should be out trying to get clients.

I got my dolls for photography. After several shoots, I realize that I actually prefer theming my dolls and showing them at meets better because without props or a variety of dolls, photography gets a little monotonous after a while. Thus, they have gone from the subjects of my art to the muses for my art.

Not quite sure what this means but that may be because the answer is an obvious yes. When I'm sitting around, frustrated because I can't think of anything to create, I look at my dolls, get inspired, and then I can be more creative in my work. It's not that the dolls directly influence my work, but I think they make me happy and remind me of good art and thus make me aspire to the same level of quality.

More than I would expect, yes. But also just as many regular people, too.

I think they attract anime artists, fantasy artists, and photographers more, but not because of the dolls themselves. I think it's just the culture of people who like the dolls and what is popular with that audience. I'd say most of us are fairly young and a bit off-beat and interested in things that are not found everywhere (I mean to say dolls are not mainstream and intrigue us). Either that or the older, more mainstream of us have a side that feels young and adventurous. Perhaps this same group is more often interested in these types of art. I think EVERYONE and ANYONE can like BJDs, but these types of artists tend to be attracted to them more often.

I think I've exhausted everything I can say. Really interesting questions!

15. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

For me, not really. My art and my BJD have as of yet been separate worlds.

I am, in fact, a 3-Dimensional Art major at Bowling Green State University emphasizing in Sculpture. However, I consider myself more of a crafter than an artist, and my draw to BJDs is not art-related. :)

No. I can see how they would be better than those wooden drawing mannequins, but my dollies and my art haven't mixed yet.

Yes, now that I've said that. Because, as you'll see below, I am now exploring BJD through art. :)

I don't think I love them because I'm an artist. I love my dolls because they're sweet company and remind me of my childhood, so I'd say little to no relation.

Maybe... I like Angelic Layer, but I didn't watch it until after I ordered Anne. My fiance has an anime collection, and I read mangas....

Yes. More importantly, it consumes by budget needed for art supplies. :sweat And I said yes meaning interferes, positive influence, and a mixed bag.

Very drastically, yes. My thesis show was going to be an exploration of seeds that trees grow from. Now I am sculpting two bodies and four heads and will be casting dolls from these, creating characters for them, and creating their image based on these characters. So, somewhat drastically, yes.

Yes, in this project, having a doll with me is inspirational. And easy reference. :lol:

I'm not sure. Everyone is sort of an artist, and even the artists still commission someone else to do what they could do sometimes.

Probably, one would think so. But I'm really not sure.

The art that goes into making a doll bears mentioning. Sculpting each limb and joint, creating a mold, casting piece after piece... It's a very intimate process.

~Amalia

16. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      There seem to be a lot of artists or people who do some sort of creative activity who also own dolls. The endless amounts of customization that these dolls can provide I think especially draws the more artistic sort here.

I wouldn't call myself an artist, but I have various types of art in the past. I do face-ups for my dolls, and will start doing them for others very soon hopefully, and it's this sort of artistic aspect that drew me to BJDs in the first place.

Yes. I had stopped doing art for a while until I bought my first doll.

Yes, though I am still easing myself back into art.

Art is not the reason why I like dolls. For me, art and writing can only be inspired by something else. If one only likes to do art or write and those are the only interests, it's much harder to find good subject matter.

Not at all. I found out about dolls completely seperate from anime and manga. However, I did find one of my favourite sets of dolls due to an anime, the Volks Rozen Maiden dolls. That is the only extent to which the two cross each other for me.

It's mostly positive for me. I have trouble focusing on schoolwork sometimes but having dolls with me helps with that if I have them around.

Yes. I used to draw mostly, but now I do face-ups instead. I have also taken up photography, which even though I'd wanted to do that for some time, my first doll is what really made me want to buy a DSLR so that I could take good pictures of her.

BJDs are indeed an extention of my creativity. I don't know if I can really say it's helped me artistically, although I have gotten much better at face-ups. My photography is only getting better because I'm gradually learning how to use my camera, not because I'm photographing dolls.

There are a lot of artists in this hobby, which I guess is expected. In general, there seem to be a lot of artists or careers that are more in the liberal arts than in others. However, this could just be because of general demographics.

What is seen on this site I don't think properly shows the true answers to this. The type of people who are likely to post pictures of their work are of course photographers vs. paintings. Many people find the hobby through anime, and so it's not odd to think that there would be a certain saturation in this case. I think that people who are into photography, anime, and/or fantasy are just more likely to post here than others since the other types could more easily be off topic (such as the landscape art).

17. I'm a narrative designer, spending the past few years studying game design and about to start with my first full-time job.

My interest in these dolls is certainly fueled by my love for storytelling: I love to create characters, to come up with a story for them and I must say I use this 'excuse' to buy as many BJD's as I possibly can. I do not use them as an inspiration though, they are just an outlet for me.
      But having these dolls has also opened a door for me to other creative hobbies. Photography, for instance, was never my cup of tea, but since I'm in this hobby I love to take pictures. I even bought my first DSLR recently.
      The downside of BJD's is that they are very time consuming and I sometimes feel that I should be using that time to work.

As for the community: I do think that there are many artists interested in these dolls and that you see more fantasy and anime artists. I'm not surprised. The hobby lends itself for these types of artforms and because the community is saturated with it I can imagine that a newbie who comes across these dolls thinks that they are either for anime or fantasy fans.

18. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Not more than there is for non-artistic-people, I think.

I’m a graphic designer, and soon-to-become video game artist (in level-design, as either a concept/character designer,
      and/or modeler/texture artist)!

No, I’ve always been into dolls, and all sorts of toys from all kind of genres. I mainly discovered these dolls because of
      customizable doll-figures, due to my obsession with Japanese-animation.

My dolls inspire me in many ways, as do many other things, but they don’t inspire any of my work directly.
      They mostly inspire me to work on them; they are the reason why I started sewing, and working on other
      crafts, which I never had any interest in before (like making jewelry, eyes, or wigs!).

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're
      just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      I believe it is art that drives me to love the “beauty” in dolls in general. It takes an artist to create a sculpt,
      whether the sculpt is “beautiful” to everyone or not – sculpting itself, to me is an art.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on
      DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?
      Yes, as I stated a few questions above, my love of Japanese-animation/illustration is what mainly inspired my
      love of customizable figures, and in turn what makes me love (all kinds of dolls/toys/games, but more so)
      these dolls in particular.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be
      focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      Sometimes. I have a very limited schedule because I work, and I’m still in school.
      playing with my dolls takes time away from me, time I could be spending working on other
      “personal art” – which I haven’t done in quite a while (curse bjd, and games XD)!

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but
      then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      In a way yes. I didn’t used to like working with powder-mediums, but now I love pastels for face ups!
      Also, thanks to these dolls, I learned that my pulse is kind of terrible – I didn’t know I had such shaky hands
      until I attempted to paint eyebrows and lashes, on a miniature face! XD

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so—in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills)
      to have them—or not?
      in some ways, yes. I loved photography as an art form previous to owning bjds, but because I’m a vegan,
      it wasn’t something I was interested in getting good at, now I have an actual interest in improving because of my dolls.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists
      than you would expect?
      I don’t know – I’m not a very social-person, I “know” very few people in the hobby, none of which are in any art-field.

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists?
      Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)
      I am not sure. Personally, and although I do love anime, I’m not into creating anime-style art. In fact,
      I’m terrible at it! My background is mainly traditional-art, I would say my art style is far from fantasy
      and not very “cartoony/anime-like.” I’m more focused on realism, although I also enjoy working in
      every style possible and try to stay open to anything, I always try to achieve a certain level of realism in
      my personally work.

- Enzyme ^.^

19. A comment before I start your list of questions... I am an art teacher, have middle school art and high school computer graphics.

Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I think there may be a special attraction, for various expressions of art. If you like to draw, they can be models. If you like to sew or design clothes, they are small versions to try out patterns. If you like to paint you can try your hand at face ups, etc. Plus they are intrinsically beautiful, and artists are often draw to such things.

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs? As I mentioned, I am an art teacher. I also like to draw and do costuming. Mainly however my dolls are an expression of my love of Japanese anime, as they are my favorite characters.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Maybe at first, and that is the explanation I've given to people who just don't understand what a 34 year old woman is doing with dolls. But now... I just like them for them.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? I have used them a couple times, not as much as I like, but then I don't get as much time to draw as I want to. I do enjoy making costumes for them, all the ones I would do for myself but can't afford to (fabric can get expensive) or because I don't have a reason for the costume. Halloween is only once a year after all. ^_~

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own? I don't think in my case, being an artist has any bearing on it... I came in through love of Anime.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs? Definitely the anime connection. I saw them the first time at a con, and was introduced to the dolls through a friend who I met on an anime ml. When I decided to get a doll, I knew it HAD to be my favorite anime character of all time, Naoe Nagi from Weiss Kreuz. In the last year he has been joined by dolls based on Momiji (Fruits Basket), Touda (Yami no Matsuei), and Hyou Riou jr (Saiunkoku Monogatari).

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag? Well, I spend more time sewing now than drawing... but that could also be because my sewing maching is set up and my drafting table isn't.

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)? I never thought I could sew things so small. I've had to totally relearn how to put things together from how I would sew human-size clothes.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not? Definitely an extension. Making stuff for them takes a lot less fabric and therefor costs less, so I can attempt the truly elaborate costumes I would love to make for me but can't justify the cost for. Currently I'm trying to make a set of Chinese robes with hand embroidery, I've never tried to do embroidery for clothing before. If this works... that might expand other things I could do for my human-size clothes.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect? I really have no idea... but I think a lot of BJD owners are artists in one way or another.

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?) Again, no idea.

Anything else you might want to discuss regarding artists and BJDs? Nothing comes to mind.

^___^

20. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Not artists, per say, but creative people in general. Of course there are people that like them for their looks or the fact that they're collectibles.

I'd consider myself a varied artist (I've done a little of everything)... I've always been interested in art and am currently attending an art school. I think that owning BJDs is really what got me interested in photography (before I used to mainly do traditional work), and I've found that I love it.

Yes and no. With Nayo I was like 'Oh yeah, he can totally be my drawing model', but once I got him that kind of didn't happen. I do really like creating their characters though, and most of my photography is of my dolls.

Photography models, yes. I really like the diversity in the sculpts.

I think that it does have a connection for me. I would most definitely not be as into BJDs if I didn't spend time photographing them and making things for them.

Sure, for the style; I find it really attractive, personally. The only thing I think they have in common though are the stylized features (and the fact that some series have BJDs in them, but I haven't seen any). I don't really think DA has anything to do with it. I'm on DA to show my art (and because I can't bring myself to quit). I can see how that can relate to the doll photography, but DA has no relation to my love of my dolls...

Very mixed. My dolls are part of my work, but sometimes they can be distracting when I'm busy and I'll sit around for however long 'playing' with them and changing their clothes/wigs.

Photography, yes. As stated earlier, I wasn't very interested in it until I got my resin-crew. I'm hoping to start doing face-ups/tattoos/etc. since I have some very specific designs and ideas. If all goes well, I'm hoping to have at least one doll made for my senior show (so it got me interesting in sculpting as well).
      A lot of my stuff kind of falls under the same concept, BJD or not, and I still do most everything I did before getting them.

Totally, haha. The way I photograph them; having characters set up forces me to pay attention and make sure I'm conveying that particular character correctly. Having my BJDs (and photographing them) has greatly improved my skills in that area. I plan on learning to sew now, and while I kind of wanted to do it before, my BJDs are really what got me serious about it.

I couldn't really say since I don't really know a lot of people (other than my RL friends that have dolls), but I do think that most owners are creative in one way or another.

I wouldn't know. You (generally speaking) can like something without having to produce work like that.