1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

At what point do Bjds become mannequins?

Sep 6, 2009

1. If the definition of a mannequin is a form which resembles the human figure and is intended to wear clothes for sale then I guess BJD could be used as mannequins. However, to me, mannequins always seemed to resemble the human form while still being clearly anything but human or resembling humanity. BJDs are very different to me in that regard. To me, BJDs bring out the play aspect of myself and others because they echo our humanity. The same is true for "fantasy" BJD (elves, vampires, all the cool things SOOM does, etc.) which are physical manifestations of our imagination.

A 1:1 scale 5' BJD sounds interesting to me. What an amazing doll a 1:1 scale doll could be. I'd probably want one. And if I saw a display of BJDs that was used to entice people to buy clothes in an interesting way I would think "look at that cool display of BJDs. Someone had a great idea to use them to sell clothes."

2. I really think it had to do with how the owner treats them, do they just sit and look cute in their clothes or does the owner actually love and appreciate them?

3. I find this topic interesting because a couple years ago I showed one of my dolls (a little MSD) to a friend's girlfriend, whose father had worked at a department store and collected mannequins from the store. I guess he would bring the mannequins home when the store didn't need them anymore - he was considered a little weird. Anyway, she thought the BJD was like her dad's mannequins the first time she ever saw it. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "mannequin" - if you mean "life size" it seems like a few of them are starting to get that big. If you mean "for the display of clothes", some people, especially doll fashion makers, do use their BJDs that way already. If you mean "joint structure and such is like a mannequin" then again they're sort of that way already. If you mean "not loved as a doll or a representation of a character, just a soulless mannequin" then I'd say it's whenever people treat the doll that way.

4. I think the term mannequin has changed in application because the artistry of the mannequin has changed to just be a clothes rack. If you look at the history of mannequins the were display dolls. Turn of the century doll makers made jointed body dolls to be used in shop windows. The french mannequins had human hair and glass eyes just like dolls forever and were collectible works of art. BJD's encompass all of this and more because of their size accessibility and play value. I 'd like to see a museum showcasing all of it dollfies and mannequins and the whole range in between. Just my train of thought.

5. In France, I saw some mannequins that had ball joints, but they were legit mannequins. They were wood and life sized... but I agree with Leenah, I think a doll with ball joints is defined as a bjd, nevertheless. If it models clothes, then it's also a mannequin.

6. Not completely true. Yes, dolls are very posable, and mannequins not as much. I have a couple of mannequins and you really can do a lot with them, more than just putting clothes on them. You can put wigs on them, change their eyes, and do mods just like you can with bjds. I've painted mine so they aren't regular flesh tone. I've glued nails on and I'm doing a lot of tattoo work on them. While they will never be as posable as a bjd, they can be a lot of fun to own. Buying clothes for them is pretty easy (especially around halloween for fantasy clothes). And they are far cheaper to buy than bjds, like less than a tiny. I love my boys, and they love hanging out in my doll room with my bjds.:)