1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Attachments to your first doll?

Jan 22, 2017

1. I'm currently in the process of selling the first BJD I ever owned, and I kind of have some mixed feelings. On one hand, he was my first and I was so excited to have him, and he's still cute; but on the other hand, he hasn't been out of his box in literally years, and I know I won't be doing anything with him in the near future (and having that money for my new boys sounds soooo nice). I took a several year hiatus from the hobby, and I'm just not attached to him anymore like I am my second doll, Aelic. Plus he was kind of an impulse purchase in the first place.

So I'm just wondering:
      • Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      • Do you still have them?
      • If not, why did you sell them?
      • Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll?

And other things like that! I'd just like to hear people's experiences. :lol:

(Also, I couldn't find a thread just like this, but if there is one, feel free ro merge or delete!)

#1 KiyoshiSenshi, Jan 22, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    2. The very first doll I ever got I still have, it was from when I was a child. The reason why I still have that doll is because the person who owned it is dead, She was basically a Mother to my Mom, and my Mom gave the doll to me. This isn't a BJD, nor highly collectible doll, but still very special to me.

The very first BJD doll I bought when I was in college I also still have. I also only have two BJD both off topic for this forum, and I doubt I will get rid of them. Then again I can't say I will never sell them or give them to someone, but as of right now I'm not going to.

Dollzone Megi. I loved his face and outfit set.
      Yup!
      Yes. He is much different from my tastes now, but I can't bring myself to sell him. He's my lone 1/4 doll and has the least realistic nose of all. lol.

3. I've also been on a hiatus from the hobby until a few months ago and have only just ordered my second doll. I still have the first and have no intentions of letting him go.
      I had a character in mind when searching for my first, so I chose him based on his looks. I think the excitement of deciding to buy a bjd definitely sped along my decision to purchase him (even if he wasn't available in the perfect skin color or didn't have quite the right body type), but I haven't regretted it. His character came alive to me as soon as I unpacked him from his box ^_^ Even after finding other sculpts years later that more closely fit my character's looks, I don't think my first doll fits my character any less. He's really grown into it, and I have a strong attachment to him--as my character and my first doll.
      That being said, if he'd been packed away in his box for years without me thinking about him, I would consider letting him go. I'm sure finding the box and taking him out after all that time would bring up emotions and nostalgia, but I'd try to stay realistic. If he'd just been collecting dust and taking up space, I'd free up the space. Since you have a second doll you like much more and are much happier about,why keep the one you don't like as much? Thank him for the memories and getting you into the hobby and spend time on the dolls you really love!

Hmm... it was a combo of falling in love with the sculpt, it being the size I wanted, and the price. She is a Bluefairy Tiny Fairy Emilie.:3nodding:
      Yes! I did get a new body for her though. When I bought her I didn't know much about BJDs and I got her on the old single-jointed body. It didn't take me long to realize I'm a picky poser and needed the new double-jointed body for her. Thought about hybriding her but I ended up getting the Neo blossom body from BF, and I love it!
      Yeah I think so. Knowing she was my first, the doll that got me into the hobby, who has had so many style and character and faceup and body changes over time, I don't think I would ever want to sell her. But I also still love the sculpt, the posing on her new body, and the character she's become; so her being my "first" isn't the only reason I keep her ~

I had just watched an auction for a more expensive Volks doll end, but I didn't buy him. I couldn't bring myself to shell out $1000 for a doll. After the auction was over, I went to the Volks website and chose Volks Link because he was the least girly looking boy there (there were only two SD13 boys there at the time). I had been looking at Volks girls for two months, but since I liked the auction boy so much, I decided I wanted a boy instead.
      Yes, and he is still my favorite.
      Yes, and I am still super attached to him. He personifies everything I like about BJDs, and his character has really endeared itself to me. And all of the other BJDs I have purchased were bought because they look "right" with him. He determined the esthetic of my BJD family.

Linda S.
      galatia9

4. I bought my first doll Amir (Angel of Dream Chen) on April 2, 2008. I do still have him, even though my tastes have changed greatly and he no longer fits into my current crew. I have kept him for several reasons. He's almost ten years old, yellowed, scratched, probably stained....he was only $183 new, including shipping. His current secondhand value with all his yellowing and damage is maybe half that, if I were lucky. Take out shipping, fees...the money I'd get could maybe buy me a cheap head or maybe a very basic outfit. The doll is worth more to me than that, so I've never considered selling him. He's the old original version of Chen, and both the head and body have been changed at least twice since then, maybe more. I much prefer the old look because the resin is heavier and the body and head have more detail than the newer ones, and he looks more unique. If I regretted selling him, it would be next to impossible to get the same version back. But mostly, he was my first. I loved him for years. He went on vacations with me. Roleplaying him is how I met several of my closest friends in the hobby. Buying him is what lead to all of my other dolls. My current main doll, Parker, is his son, and most of my entire current crew is somehow connected to Parker, who wouldn't exist if Amir hadn't. Amir is the one I learned to do faceups on, sew for, tattoo, pose and photograph. He sits in a box in a trunk in my closet, not displayed with the others, but he's not going anywhere!

5. All of these replies are really interesting! It seems like Aelic (my second doll) ended up being my "first doll experience"; I wouldn't get rid of him for the world, I adore him. I guess I'm less attached because my first was such an impulse buy! Aelic was the first doll I stuck to and saved up for and bought, and I loved him from start to finish. From now on I'm only going to buy dolls I absolutely love. :3nodding:

• Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one? My 1st boy was a trade with someone but after awhile I got rid of him. Now if we are strictly talking the 1st I bought it would be David Kunnci who I saw advertised in a doll spread in Haute Doll magazine. I knew as soon as I went to Dollshe I had to have him!
      • Do you still have them? Yes I do & will probably always have him.
      • Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll? Yes, he is perfection to me in doll form.

6. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      I Bought a Angel Region (Before Neo) Little Fair Ami as my first. I bought her because it was the only company I knew at the time and I really loved her sculpt (Still really like it!)

Do you still have them? & If not, why did you sell them?
      At the moment yes I do. I'm actually trying to sell her though. She is still in good shape and still really cute, but I felt the need to move on. I really wanted to get dolls that suited the me I am now too. I still like her, but I have different tastes now, not to surprising considering I got my first 10 years ago.

Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll?

I think I used to feel that... but not anymore. I'm actually keeping one of my old dolls, but she was my 9th or 10th doll. She was actually a male, but I switched the body with one of my other dolls and met a new character I guess. Now I love her and will be sending her for a new faceup soon! Honestly I find it funny. I was least attached to this doll, never felt like I got to know them, but they are the only one I want to keep and my first makes me feel nothing. I still like her, but I have zero attachment left.

I learned a lot from my first dolls, and now I'm keeping the one I love most and only buying new dolls I know I love. I know what I want now, already have two new ones I love (one still is on her way) and I'm so glad to be able to keep the one older doll too.

I still keep the characters that where in my first dolls though, they live in my worlds and stories now instead, so that might be why I don't feel a sense of loss, because the characters are still with me, just in my head and on paper in the form of writing and painting.

Mostly because at the time SOOM had a very short lead time (compared to other companies) on their orders, at least for their stock dolls. I'd picked a SOOM Gena because I was impatient and wanted a doll in my little hands ASAP. I'd wanted to make her into an old OC of mine but it didn't work out very well. I'd been wearing rose-colored glasses when I thought the doll with the shortest wait was my best option.
      I do. I have contemplated selling her but with yellowing and the general wear of time I think my sentimental value outweighs any monetary gain I might see from letting her go.
      Yes I did. For awhile she sort of sat at the sidelines while I got other dolls that suited my needs better, but eventually I felt bad for neglecting her and sort of gave the doll her own character and personality. It's much less about the doll itself and more about reminding me of when I started, I think. My tastes have changed dramatically but I can still find ways to spruce her up.

7. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      I thought she was beautiful (Elfdoll Soah) and I fell in love with her.
      Do you still have them?
      Yes. I could never sell her.
      She does have a lot of great memories attached. But I think if I saw her for the first time today, I'd still want to get her.

8. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      I draw\write my own characters, the doll I wanted for my first had to be the shell for my favorite character, Alex. The doll I eventually bought was 100% perfect.

Do you still have them?
      Yup

If not, why did you sell them?
      N\A

Yes. And because he was so exactly what I wanted. Both in a BJD and for Alex. Plus he was my first! Every doll memory I have, including meeting and getting to know some of my very best friends in the world, involves him. Almost every BJD thing I ever did I did to him first. He still gets firsts sometimes, almost 9 years later.

I have other dolls I consider favorites, but Alex is always #1 because he's #1 XD
      Though right now he's got a temporary clown faceup I did because his was damaged and I can't redo it because weather...but still! He makes a good clown!

9. - Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one? I got a really good deal on her from my friend who got me into the hobby.
      • Do you still have them? Nope, I sold her within two months to fund a doll that I had my eye on.
      • If not, why did you sell them? I learned the hard way that you should buy the dolls you ACTUALLY want, not the first thing that comes along.
      • Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll? NOPE.

10. This sounds a lot like my experience, except I was attached for a bit and then just kind of...lost interest. Seems like impulse purchases for first dolls are generally a bad idea. (Who would have thought? Not me apparently. :sweat)

Mine is a Luts SDF65 Cyan and I chose him because I wanted a doll to cosplay my one of my favourite character from a Japanese animation and he is exactly what I was looking for.
      Yes. One of my friend who has been into this hobby for 13 years once told me not to throw away the box because I might need it when I want to sell him. I just told her I will never do that and threw away the box.
      Yes, very much. I chose him among all the dolls I had seen and he is really special to me. I have now some other dolls but he is still my favourite. Although I am still new to this hobby, but I don't think time will ever change my love for him. BTW I still have my first stuffed toy my mum bought me almost 25 years ago! I am quite confident in my loyalty.

#16 Moria_ash, Jan 24, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    11. My first doll was a Bobobie Mei. Even though I thought she was pretty, I mostly purchased her because she wasn't very expensive. Because I bought her mainly because of the price, I just didn't wasn't able to come up with anything to do for her; I had no character in mind, so dressing her was difficult and taking pictures was out of the question because she didn't have clothes that I liked on her. I eventually decided that it would be best to sell her and give her the chance to become something instead of staying in her box in my closet. Even though she was my first doll, I just couldn't become attached to her and wasn't sad to see her go.

12. - Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      Seemed a reasonable price and, most importantly, was a full set and came with everything. (MSD Dollzone - Xi)

Do you still have them?

No. I can't recall how long I attempted to persevere with him, but in the end I sold him in the hope of him going somewhere that he would be more appreciated.

If not, why did you sell them?

Dislike at first sight? Didn't look as good as the promo pics and... I just didn't like him. (It didn't stop me though - as within two days I'd purchased a second hand Dream of Doll Too who, when he arrived, I liked a lot more.)

Absolutely not. I was pleased to see him go and don't regret his sale for a second. (Nor, mind you, do I regret having purchased him in the first place. No, he didn't work for me, but he still opened the door into the hobby I'm still enjoying eleven years on, and... Yes. I do have a few dolls I'm attached to know and would struggle greatly to sell.)

13. My first doll was my Souldoll Clara, Adrienne. I honestly have a hard time remembering exactly why I finally picked her out (I was between her and a Dream of Doll Si, which would have been a VERY different first buy!), but I loved her face and felt comfortable with the idea of a doll her size and finally took the plunge after about 6 months of deliberation. I still have her almost 12 years later, so clearly I made the right call!

I can't imagine parting with Adrienne, even though she's yellowed (a little, thankfully, not a lot) and her extremely awkward single jointed body would NEVER fly these days. It's worth noting that I've been out of the hobby for several years and am just coming back now; that hasn't changed how I feel about my dolls at all. Her face remains incredibly unique and charming, and at this point I wouldn't care if I completely lost interest in BJDs, I would keep her. She's been with me for so long she's just a part of my life, even if it's a small, off-on-a-shelf-over-there part sometimes.

14. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      My first doll was a pukifee ante (they are tiny) and I think I just choosed her because I've always loved miniature things. I still am not too fond of bigger dolls and most of my collection are tiny dolls. I did a lot of research before I got her, I looked at owner pictures so I was sure I liked the sculpt, even with custom face-up.

Do you still have them?

Oh gosh, yes, yes I do! I love her a lot and I'll keep her forever!

I'm pretty sentimental about her but I think it's a combo of her being my first doll and I just love the sculpt so much! I never get tired of seeing her cute face :3nodding: