1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Aversion to customization?

Nov 4, 2005

1. I'm the opposite and have an adversion to default sets. Sadly I paid for my pipos Alice Jr fullset and she doesn't wear the beautiful outfit or wig. Or even the eyes! At least she's on her company body, all my SDs are hybrids. It's important my dolls look unique and as much like their characters as possible. I've gone to ridiculous means to make sure. It does take forever to complete each one with all the swapping and modding but adore the custom finished result.

2. I'm another person who can't stand defaults. Anymore I never order anything painted because I know I won't bond well with a doll I haven't done any work on. I'm really adventurus though; I opened my first doll's eyes, wiped the second's limited faceup, and modded the horn of my Heliot. Which may be getting more mods. They have far more value to me with the customizations than they do as a default set. Cookie cutter dolls don't feel special to me, so they get customized as much as I feel like. I've never been really nervous about modifying them. The first time I restrung my 70cm was when I got bored. Restringing isn't anything to be afraid of, and I consider it a neccessary skill for this hobby. It can take more than two hands though!

3. ;A; It really pains me to see dolls with scar/wound mods. Dolls are so beautiful, why make them look hurt and stuff?

>_< But they still look so cool!

4. I think it comes down to the person. Having a ball-jointed doll allows them to completely customize something, and utilize their creativity and imagination. To have something almost one of a kind.

On the other hand, some can be content with having the same. I think that's fine, as why change what you already like? I am personally one of the the customizing type, but I find dolls that remain the same as they were bought (full-sets) can be just as beautiful and outstanding when given the right scenery or backstory.

5. I have an LE and I wouldn't dream of touching his face up or anything else on his body for that matter. lol The way I kind of look at it is; "I fell in love with how he looks on the site, why would I want to change anything about him?" [which even includes, wigs and eyes. lol]

However, if I were to ever get a non-LE doll, I would probably go a little wild with him--a few tats, and maybe a piercing or two, but that's probably not "wild" at all. lol

6. I feel the exact same way! even the face-ups sometime bother me! I'm always afraid I won't like them after. So I only buy the bjd stock if I like their stock face up.

I will not sand, re-string..and so forth.. It seriously irks me..haha I'm strange @_@

7. I don't have my own dolls yet, but I have helped my sister with hers. I'm reasonably sure that when I get mine I will not be messing with them. I will be sticking to wigs, clothing and shoes. If I end up not liking the face-up I will be sending them to someone, so they can do it. The thought of sanding or even painting my precious baby will scare me to death.

8. Making your doll unique sounds great, and I am good at painting and drawing... but I'd be so afraid of making a mistake! When I buy my first doll, it'll definitely need to come with a face-up. Maybe once it wears off I will have the courage to do it myself ^^;

9. It really depends. As for Luken, he's still exactly the same as I bought him. He's got his default face-up (it's perfect!), his default eyes he came with, his default wig ... I tried other wigs on him but to be honest, I simply like him best with the one he came with. What I do have for him are custom clothes ("custom" as in "made them myself") but that's about it.

Cassie - now, she's a limited edition, so she's wearing all her limited edition stuff cos that's exactly how I want her: Looking like a mean-tempered Anne of Green Gables. *lol*

As for Morgan, I sent him away for a custom face-up, got new eyes for him and a wig, too, since he came without one. Now, he's wearing a different one, though. All he's still missing are his pirate clothes and I'll have to sew those myself. So he'll probably be my most-customized doll.

10. I can say, I'm probably going to cry the first time I have to restring or sand a doll. I become way too attached to objects! I apologise to walls if I bump into them.
      I doubt I'll ever be able to redo a face on a doll other than upkeep. I barely like having to take my own makeup off.

11. I love different face-ups that people do, but when I think about sanding the dolls down (Especially sanding down the breasts on a girl body!) all I can think is "Owwww!" I don't mind that other people do it, but I would not be able to do it myself, the poor doll! (This from the girl who has no problem tearing off Barbie's head and burning off her facial features with acetone...)

12. I'm terrified to mod! I don't want to ruin my dolls. I just feel like I'll mess up and have to buy new parts. Any changes I do to them will be minor, like painting nails or sanding seems. I can't do faceups cause I'm terrible with paints. I have sort of shaky and weak hands so anything major is a nono. I don't want to buy a new head (and faceup) just cause I wanted to experiment. I'll leave that to people with the skills.

13. GreyLove, I totally agree. I'm not great as an artist, so I'd be nervous to do anything like that. Even the idea of taking them apart makes me a bit nervous. I hate changing eyes, and don't get me started on restringing.

Luckily for me, my first doll came with a custom faceup I adored, and the perfect eyes, so she was good to go! My second I am eventually planning on changing her eyes, but that's about it.