1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bartering for lower prices - a no-no?

Mar 29, 2007

1. I tried doing the OBO for the first time recently and wasn't exactly prepared for the result. I don't see how a doll that is only a month old was considered to have depreciated over $150 in value and labeled as 'basically used.' It may be awhile before I use the OBO or make me an offer terms again in a sales listing.

I have accepted offers for trades before on things that I didn't have listed as WTT so it never hurts to ask, it's just all in the way both sides handle the request.

I have also learned it's all in the way you word it. I wanted to make an offer on a doll that was listed as a feeler once and I started with the base price for the LE minus the costs for the LE clothing and other items that were not offered in the sale, but I was not very clear in my own communication and it made the seller feel I wasn't taking the LE status of the doll seriously.

I won't attempt to barter with someone if they didn't have it listed as a feeler or, wtt, obo, or any other terms that clue me in to whether the seller is open to that type of discussion. I am still learning my way around the hobby and definitely don't want to insult anyone.

2. I'm not sure, the way I understand the word bartering is the same as bargaining, but I think that's possibly a colloquial thing.

Anyway, I really happy that everyone responded to this^^. I'm never sure whether to offer a price on things. If the price the seller states is way off, for example above the price of a new one shipped, I wouldn't even pm them. Now that I've read everyone's ideas I think I'm gonna start offering more often.

3. its not rude to ask (depends on HOW you ask though. gotta stay polite) but it you insist too much then YES i think it is inpolite (or try to have it 50% off)

4. I must admit I do have a problem with this, but that is mostly because I am in the same boat as Brightfires. I price what I'm selling taking to mind that it's not straight from the company. I usually don't expect to get back what I paid for an item, so I price them at my own loss. I don't really mind it, and I will sometimes take international shipping charges on myself, don't expect any extra fees or handling cost or any such. So when someone contacts me with an offer below what I've set up, it can hurt me a bit, especially since I usually give the dolls I'm selling a face-up to prettify them and try to make them more desirable to the buyer. If someone then wants to pay less than the asking price which would already be considerably lower than a fresh and unpainted doll from a company, I get a bit butthurt.. :(

But yeah, if someone would be very polite about it, and not start off trying to guilt out some extras and free shipping on top of a lowered price, and just generally put themselves forth with good grace, I am usually more than willing to meet their terms or make a counter-offer. :)

5. It's not about rudeness, it's about how you yourself value the doll. If you really love a doll, assuming you can afford the asking price, you value it at that price, you will buy it at that price. It's not good to undervalue a doll you love. If you buy at a discounted price, the value of that doll falls with your purchase. You are responsible for lowering it's market value.

Your boyfriend is however correct to say "how do you know if you've never tried?" ABJDs are contemporary dolls, their value and quality isn't tested with time. Even vintage dolls collapse in price. I've seen some weird people dump their resin dolls on ebay at half price. Of course, the condition of the dolls', accessories, authenticity etc cannot be assured, ebay is a buyer beware market place but yes, there are some strange doll owners out there who are willing and able to dump their dolls for cheap, causing price callapse. So, your boyfriend is right.

As a buyer, I always stay away from these "cheap sellers", usually aucton dealers on ebay. If I bid on a low price doll, the value of that doll falls with my own doing. This applies to all the dolls I buy on ebay, not just ABJDs. I refuse to undervalue the dolls I love.

6. I took out the middle bit because really it's the other two sections that bother me with your post, so lemme see if I can try and make some sense out my thoughts here.

Firstly, if I really love a doll and I can afford the price it's listed at, but I consider it to not be worth that price, then no, I can assure you, I absolutely will not buy it at that price. My buying a doll at a cheap price doesn't in any way whatsoever undervalue the doll or it's market value, and any bids people place on cheap dolls on ebay have zero effect on the inherent value of the doll.

If any of your theories were correct, we wouldn't have flipping, scalping or the quick turnarounds of LE's on the MP, because, according to your logic, the fact that someone bought the thing for less than they're selling it for means that they then have to sell it for less again. Well, that's really not how the real world works. If someone can make a profit or even break even on a sale, then they will. That's just life.

What about restored dolls and the heavily modded ones? I've bought many a restoration project, fixed them up and sold them on for more than I paid for them and the experienced modders and faceup artists out there have too. It's how we make money in this hobby, the exchange of goods at a low price in no way inhibits you from selling them on at a later date at a higher one.

It's fine if you want to say that from a moral stand point, you feel uncomfortable paying less than you think the doll is worth, but claiming that someone buying it for a discounted price lowers the total market value of it is frankly ridiculous!

7. May be it doesn't have anything to do with the question...but perhaps, an idea about managing finance?...may be you could just set aside the money you spend on doll in a month like only 100USD...so, if the seller doesn't provide layaway, you, like it or not, must pass the opportunity...it hurts but it's healthy for the finance...(unless, you have private saving to purchase your own wants (^.<)

This hobby is quite addictive...without any means of interfering, perhaps, you would like to take a look into your doll and doll related expenditure. Is it as big as your boyfriend said? or is it already beyond the budget you both set up? considering he's the only one who works, perhaps, it's time for you to see from his side.

I'm a housewife, my craft doesn't sell much...sometimes, a friend commission me for something...so, absolutely, the one who works is my husband. I see how hard he works, so the money he gave to me (for my personal living), i really value it. I purchased a bjd...but without a layaway, i wouldn't. if the seller doesn't provide the layaway, i pass although it can be cheaper than if i purchase from the other seller that provide layaway...i'll miss the opportunity but at least, my monthly money is enough for me to live (it's not just food, but bills, etc, etc...since i live in different town, so, the bills in our house are cut from the money he sends to me)...I really don't want to ask more money for each month...i'm quite sure, if eg: this month i pass my budget and ask for more money, next month? i don't know the necessity i'll be facing...perhaps, there's something more impotant than the doll...so, in the end, the next month, i won't be able to save some money as the consequence of spending too much in current month.

One day he said to me: don't purchase anything expensive! or stop buying fabrics!...I really consider that...He bought me a camera and angry when I said, cut from my budget...
      I guess, your boyfriend just really cares about you...it's nothing wrong to review the doll budget...it would be great if you make an expenditure list and show it to him...perhaps, he would see that oooh the stuff is a lot buy the value isn't that much...

Just a thought. It's a sensitive matter, though ;)...I guess, it's hard to make someone who perhaps don't know anything about bjd, and make them understand...because no matter our explanation is, in their view: it's a doll, there's no even battery like robotic doll, or...it's just a doll...ask for a lower price...(-.-)''''...

i hope you are not upset with my other point of view...i just want to point out the positive thing from your situation...finance 'alarm'...it's good though when you have someone controls you about your hobby...i love my husband when he said no...:sweat..."finish those fabrics, first, ok????" that what he said to me gently when I whine,"so many cute fabricssss":...( .

8. i think you should really control yourself since you are not spending 'your' money,but 'you two's' money~uh?

9. If I'm interested in buying a doll, I always have a clear idea as to what the price should be. I would only make an offer if it said OBO in the post. I just stay away from dolls I consider to be overpriced. As a seller, I always try to price competitively. I'm not in this hobby to make money. I've found most sellers to be quite happy to negotiate providing the offer is reasonable. That said, there are some on here who seem to be having a laugh - like one member who replied to my WTB by offe;)ring me a Luts head for $1000 and got quite cross when i turned her down!

10. I think it's rude to attempt to haggle if the sales thread does not specifically state that you may do so. Most items are priced at a loss to the buyer so sellers are already getting a deal with prices not reflecting the expensive original shipping from overseas.

It ticks me off when a potential buyer asks for a ridiculously low price (complete with a :D smiley in an attempt to look cute) or is impolite about it. I have had both happen to me and it's annoying!

11. This right here! Just wanted to add, AMEN!

;)

12. I don't think asking in inherently rude but it depends on how you ask and what you ask for

"give me your LE of one fullset doll for $10 plz!"

is unacceptable, as is spamming someone with offers after they have said no

but if you offer what you believe is a reasonable price for the doll in the condition its in and are polite about it I don't think its rude ("the price is a little more than I expected to pay, would you consider an offer of $XXX?)

also sometimes sellers offer quite large bundles of items which might not be to the buyers taste, I don't see the harm in politely making an offer for the parts you do want if you don't want everything

13. Judging by the replies to this thread, it doesn't seem to be considered a no-no to most people. To me, I agree with previous posters who wouldn't haggle with someone whose marketplace post didn't specifically state that they would consider offers.

Personally, I despise haggling, so I'm not going to ask anyone to lower prices. I do very little selling, and will consider offers if they're made, but haggling is just not a process that I enjoy at all. Just a personality thing, I guess ^^;;;.

14. bartering is the exchange of one item or service for another, such as the trades and swaps on the boards, haggling I think is the term everyone here is looking for, that is where you go back and forth on price to reach a point of satisfaction for both parties.

I am a haggler, I have always been a haggler, I have learned that if you do not ask you do not receive. In Australia, where I am from, you can even do this in shops, most stores will give discounts for cash payments, such as buying furniture for 5% off if it is cash. In places like Indonesia, where I have spent some good time, you HAVE to haggle, if you do not haggle you are not respected.

On the market place I will haggle, but it will always be polite, I will start by saying that I DO want the item but that the price is a little high for me and why eg. I can buy the doll new for almost the same price, that the doll has some damage or work needing being done to it, if they cannot come down in price I will negotiate for a discount in shipping, or for bonus items such as pieces from a clothing sales thread

15. I dont see anything wrong with offering a lower price, and I would not be offended if someone offered me lower. But if it is a ridiculously low offer i would just tell them no

16. If a seller specifically states in their Marketplace thread that they are open to offers, or anything of that nature, then I say go ahead and haggle; they've given you the okay to offer another price, so why not do so if you choose?

If a seller doesn't state one way or the other, you can certainly try, just don't be surprised if their answer isn't what you want to hear. Be prepared to have an offer rejected, and to move on gracefully and politely to a different item.

If, however, a seller specifically states their price is firm, I don't really see the point; all you will succeed in doing is annoying the seller, as they've already said they are not taking offers. You're effectively wasting both your time, and the time of the person having to respond to you.

Personally, unless it's something I really want and there's nothing else like it on the Marketplace, I am not a haggler. If I don't like the price being asked, I normally just move on and keep searching for one closer to a figure I'd be willing to pay.

17. The seller can respond saying that they are not ready to decrease the asking price at this time.... AnnMarie

18. To answer to OP. I would agree with most other people already posting, it never hurts to ask. Besides if you ask nicely and the seller is rude, you might not want to buy from them anyway.

Regarding the "my money, his money, and our money" issue. Something that hasn't been mentioned here is who does the house work? the cooking? Do you sit on your behind and do nothing all day? If you do housework or care for your children, then you are also "working". Further, housework and cooking are 7 days a week. Don't you think you deserve "compensation?"

In our household the three types of money listed above. Our money is for household stuff. The other monies are our own. I don't ask nor do I guilt my husband into not spending his money in ways I won't approve of (he plays cards). He never asks me about where my dolls come from or how much I've spent.

Really it comes down to respect for the autonomy of the other person. I've known more people that fight about money than almost anything else, and they are always the ones that insist that they have to have joint accounts and merge all the finances and then have a huge fight when they see a big withdrawal that they didn't agree upon before hand.

/endrant

19. Personally, I don't enjoy haggling. I find it stressful and irritating and I am much happier when paying a price that the seller has chosen to set. This also means that when I've carefully considered a price for my own sales, that is the final price and I'm not really looking to haggle over it (although depending on the location I may include things like insurance and shipping in with the sale price or include or subtract clothing/wigs to change the price).

When I went on holiday to Egypt last summer, haggling with the bazaar merchants made me so uncomfortable I avoided doing any shopping in the marketplaces. Part of what makes haggling so uncomfortable for me is not knowing what is a sensible price to suggest which is agreeable to the buyer and to myself. I don't want to offend someone I've never met, but neither do I want to pay over the odds for something, so in general I shop around until I see what I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

Ultimately it isn't rude, particularly if the seller has put 'or best offer' or 'willing to trade' on their sales thread, and many people obviously do it and do it well, but it's something that makes me feel a little weird and I would rather not haggle over things.

Of course being a homemaker is a full-time job, but an expensive, luxury hobby can be offensive to the person who is bringing in the household cash by themselves, particularly in these financially difficult times. If you don't earn the money but you're happy to spend it on expensive dolls, isn't that going to rile the person who does earn the money and perhaps doesn't get to spend it on things that matter to them because it's all gone on dolls?

I know that if I was the breadwinner I wouldn't be impressed if my partner kept buying dolls and if the situation were reversed I highly doubt I would be well thought of if I kept buying dolls while my partner went out to work. It's a give and take thing. Then again, I have a job and pay for my own dolls from my own money, I can safely say that if I didn't have a job I wouldn't have any dolls because neither my parents nor my partner would ever buy a BJD for me.

This looks like it's turning into a whole other debate...:sweat

20. Normally I have a set amount I think something is worth to myself and to the community at large. I will barter when my price is lower than asking to see if a compromise can be met. But I only ask once.

I recently PMed someone to say that if they ever went to X price (A good chunk lower than asking) I would buy the item in one shot with no layaway or hassle. It was my way of saying "HI I AM HERE just in case" I can't really see why anyone would get offended if the buyer was polite. I have a budget for dolls and I try to stay in the budget no matter what. It is worth asking a seller if they will match your price. If they say no then that is where it ends. No harm done.