1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Being egotistical about your dolls

Mar 26, 2011

1. The most beautiful? No, not really. But the most desireable to me personally? Definitely. They're mine, after all.

2. Yes, I'm 'guilty' of that. xD I don't think it's a bad thing, though...
      Expecially because I think many owners are like that. They customize their dolls to match THEIR taste, so of course I think my doll is the most beautiful of their kind!

3. Now it's quite a weird thing with me, and I really think it depends more on the character and whole look of my doll. For example my DIM Belita ( Ipsie) which in itself isn't a very sought after mould, is now one of my favoutrite dolls, but I had to change her to make her that. I did a really soft, natural face up on her that a lot of people loved, but to me she just looked very bland, and not really 'her'. Now she has a very strong look, that some others would probably hate, but I love her how she is now. Not saying she is the best or most beautiful of her mould, but she certainly is 'different' shall we say. That I suppose is what I love about her as she is now to my tastes and so I love her the best.
      I have to say though that I also love all the different ways other people make their dolls look, and why I love the hobby so much. It makes them all very individual.

4. Though I do think I own the most beautiful sculpts of all, I've seen plenty of dolls out there who are more beautiful than mine. Still, I wouldn't trade mine for the world; none of the other dolls have the memories attached to them that mine have.

5. I don’t believe it to be egoistical to think of your own dolls as the most beautiful of their sculpt.
      I think it is like parents and their children – I wonder if there is a parent in the world sincere or
      realistic enough to know or admit when their child is ugly. I doubt it.

I believe my dolls to be the most beautiful of their sculpt in my eyes,because they have being
      customized to certain extents to look the way I want them to look. Do I believe everyone and their
      cousins agree with me, not a chance. I’m a weirdo and a complete outsider, but I do live in the real
      world and don’t believe in the concept or ideology of “universal-beauty.” (:

- Enzyme

6. Funny enough, I have never thought about this before. Now that I do, I'd say I don't generally consider my dolls prettier or better than the others' dolls. For me, it is a question of the mold.

I have seen dolls with the same head mold but with better face-ups and clothes than mine, with better chosen wigs, with a more interesting character concept... And I have seen ones with face-ups I didn't like at all, with clothes I would never buy, wigs that I found rather unflattering, and character concepts that I didn't like. But that is exactly how I think of it: "I like the face-up" - "I don't like the face-up" etc.

But I never thought the dolls themselves were more or less pretty than mine. It is a bit like thinking about a real person for me. A person either looks attractive to me or not, regardless of the styling. So if I like D.O.D. E-an, for example, I like every E-an.

However, if I don't like the mold, I tend to think to myself: "The mold of my doll is prettier." But that was the reason for my choice in the first place.

7. I get proud of my dolls... In terms of the fact that I've worked hard on them, trimming their wigs, choosing their eyes, doing their faces and making or choosing their clothing. They're something that I've made just how I wanted. But I wouldn't say it's egotism...

I do sometimes see other people's dolls of the same sculpt as my guys, and admire what they've done though. ...With maybe a small amount of jealousy sometimes. Hehe.

8. Well, I've always been convinced that Cyranstar's RD Spencer, Lore, is the most beautiful and downright sexy Spencer that has ever and will ever exist. Of course, I don't even have my RD boys yet, but already I am certain they'll be amazing as well. I joke about my dolls being the sexiest and most awesome of their sculpts, but frankly I'll always prefer my dolls over those who belong to others. It's just a bonding thing.

9. Sometimes, I do feel like an overly proud pet-owner/parent. :) Nothing wrong with that, yea? :)

10. YES- I always think that my dolls are the most beautiful of their sculpt: but that's because they're to my tastes. And I do not, ever, go about saying that because I think its extremely impolite (Except among close friends who do not have the same sculpt). That said, I've also seen beautiful dolls of the same mould and I admire those dolls, but I do not desire them the way I do my own, because they're mine and the characters they were made to represent were mine (or my ex's, but that be another story).

11. I would be generally inclined to feel the opposite, and often see someone elses version of the doll I have as being far superior. That said, they are my lovelies and I am very happy with them :)

12. Sure, I like 'em best because they're mine. It's just like family bias-- my grandmother always thought I was the prettiest smartest sweetest girl in the world, even when Reality was blatantly smacking her in the face to insist otherwise, and dammit nothing was going to change her mind.

This isn't all to say that I'm not also madly in love with other people's versions of the same dolls, either. I'm simply most in love with the ones who were chosen & brought home by me, are all done out to my specifications, have the names & details & accessories I gave them, and are sitting right here with me at home.

13. *grin* No... frankly, no, because I know perfectly well what my faceups look like and have seen stunning examples of all of the others. -- I had to chortle at Kim's remark about Peroth, especially since mine is suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous eyebrows at the moment. ;)

But they all suit me; in face the ones I've fought with the most that AREN'T perfect are actually the ones I care about the most because of what people have pointed out earlier; they have part of my life in them and are mine.

Proud of 'em? You bet. Egotistical? Naaah, there are always better examples out there.

14. I do have a bias towards my resin crew, but they're definitely not superior over everyone else's dolls. They're far from perfect and some of them aren't beautiful in terms of society's "standards," but to my eyes they're all very pretty. :XD:

15. I'm crazy about my dolls and I'm as pleased as punch to have them, but there are certain dolls owned by various members of this forum that tend to keep me humble.

16. BAsil is the most beautifull doll in the world to me but thats kinda how all mothers feel

17. Definitely not. There are far more creative and talented people on this forum for me to ever think I've done the best with the molds I own.

18. I get the whole family/cat bias thing--yes, I love Noire so much because she's mine and I honestly do think that she's the most beautiful Feilian out there just because of that. HOWEVER. Echoing sentiments earlier in the thread--I can totally appreciate what other people do with their dolls, whether or not it's a mould I own or want to own or don't even like. Variety is the spice of life, no? Still, however, my dolls are always going to be my favourite dolls because they were chosen to be who they are and I made them that way ;)

19. I only see a problem with it if people flaunt and are very vocal about their opinion that their doll is the most beautiful, etc. It reminds me of mothers who won't shut up about how WONDERFUL their little Timmy is. Or those horrible Christmas letters you sometimes get that list every family member's achievement for every day of the past year. NOOOO.

20. Well, liking how your doll looks best and being egotistical about it are two different things. Being egotistical about it would just mean you were being a dick about it. If you keep it to yourself, no one really cares.

But you can't help it! You fall in love with that sculpt because it is beautiful to you, and then you paint it, or you have someone else paint it according to your ideas - and you end up with a doll that conforms perfectly to your idea of beauty. So of course you would think yours was the prettiest.