1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD community and eBay ..?

Aug 5, 2010

1. There's a few companies that don't have English speakers, like Popodoll and Felix doll. The best place I know for some of the smaller companies is Ebay, but one must be careful to only deal with a reputable dealer to avoid a counterfeit/recast. I've also had to use the buyer protection before, but with an individual, and it worked out in the end. So, pros and cons.

2. It made sense at the time; I was more familiar with ebay when I first joined the hobby 10-11 years ago, and it was pretty much the only way I bought things from overseas (I collected Pullip and Blythe before BJD and many came from overseas sellers). After gaining more experience, going right to the source can be far easier. :)

3. I buy accessories on Ebay, without fear, but I would never buy a doll there. There are so many recasters, I trust no-one. One of them even stole my box opening photos from community blog and used them to propagate his recast. Disgusting. I prefer companies or authorised dealers. I have best experience qith Angelesque and Alices collection.

4. I much prefer DOA to eBay for both selling and buying, though I recently got a doll head from eBay after a metric butt-ton of research. It's just easier to use DOA since you know everything's legit, and if it isn't, people are really quick to point it out. Though for new dolls I prefer go through the company unless they deal with Alice's Collection (mainly 'cause of AC's free shipping deal they have lol)

5. I don't like using eBay because of all the fees they ask and because it's so anonymous. DoA and other doll communities allow you to communicate with someone rather than just bid, and there's more of a sense of 'knowing' the buyer or seller because you've seen them post and maybe have talked to them before, so it feels more trustworthy. I do sometimes use a Dutch ad website, Marktplaats, but the Dutch doll community is small enough that I generally at least know who the person listing a doll for sale is.

6. I just got a doll from ebay. It is OOAK porcelain BJD. I think I was lucky since it was not a scam and I got a very good deal on it.
      [​IMG]

7. I quite like ebay, usually, and i've bought dolls and accessories on multiple occasions. Of course I always check first if it's a legitimate reseller.

My first doll came from ebay, because X2 (and Angel of Dream) only had one reseller and their website was impossible to use. So ebay was actually the only choice.
      I'd say it isn't necessary anymore though, because most resellers now also have websites and it's easier to buy dolls without having to use ebay. A couple years ago I even bought from a korean website, they had an english customer service and i ordered by email.

Speaking of second-hand dolls instead i think it's more a matter of convenience. You have to pay fees to sell on ebay and this is a niche hobby after all, there's no guarantee someone will buy your doll.
      It's easier to sell on forums, it's quite safe because there are rules, it's free and you're showing it directly to the people who may want to buy since we're in the same hobby.

8. Ebay used to be good. There are still hundreds and hundreds of bjds and related items sold there. There is a whole category for bjds (dollfies) under Dolls/Brands.

NOW, however, there are also hundreds and hundreds of re-casts being sold there. You practically trip over pages and pages of re-cast auctions! Some second-hand sellers actually say they are selling their re-cast dolls in the titles. Ugh! I'm sure there are plenty who do not mention it. The factory re-casts often illegally use company photos , but say they are making the dolls new in china without all the clothing and items shown in the photos, so they are easy to spot if you know anything at all about bjds... BUT there are tons of people who have no clue who might be drawn in by the great company photos and end up with a blank doll in a standard resin color...! And they will unknowingly re-sell it on ebay. So beware!

Wigs and eyes and some clothing and photo backdrops and such are fine to buy on ebay (although some things are sold by the same guys who are selling re-casts!!! check out their stores first if you don't want to support those sellers!).

The best place to buy is here, really. Best place to sell, too. It's free and it pretty safe (you still have to be careful, but everyone here has their eye out for scammers, which is why it's so hard to get Marketplace privileges or to sign up to DoA to begin with!).

If you buy elsewhere, unless it's a legit company, you have to be careful. On fb, if you have no idea who the other person is, you are taking a risk.

Plenty of people still use Ebay to sell their dolls and items, though.