1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bjd frustrations

Aug 17, 2018

1. My biggest frustration is definitely finding pants that fit MSD's that have wider legs/hips. I've had a few of them in the past that made it very difficult to find bottoms for them, and I have another one incoming that I know will be an issue. I want jeans for my more mature MSD boy, but I fear it's going to end up stuck on his thighs, as I've experienced in the past!

2. I chose a doll with a wierd body so I can kiss goodbye to being able to buy premade clothes. It's also annoying to find a doll with the perfect skin colour. I would like a dark skinned doll in the future to dress in lolita but finding one suitable will require so much waiting around i am very impatient.

3. I just hate fiddling with eye putty!

4. My #1 frustration right now is that Fairyland aren't makin g Pukipukis right now.

But, finding clothes that fit many of my dolls is a close second...

5. Seconding the finding clothes that fit your dolls...I haven't bought mine yet, but the more I learn about the B27-004 body type the more it occurs to me that I will likely need to shell out a pretty penny to get her custom clothes that can fit the build-- and after looking at the other bodies DZ offers and feedback on the forums, I don't think the 1/4 bodies would work as a hybrid...

On the upside the extra accessories like mini Tamagotchi, Switches, and lil hats that I have seen are so cute I can't stay upset for long. :sweat

6. Finding manly 1/4 sculpts. The female ones look much more adult in the face compared to males who have a very boyish look to them mostly. The bodies will be BUFF but the face of a boy lol

7. I agree! And if you move to 1/3, a lot of companies have boys come with way too muscular bodies, even if the face has delicate features. Only a few companies make 68-72 cm boy bodies that are slender.

8. A big problem is, as someone mentioned I think on the first page? Fairyland not selling just torsos to go with their fantasy parts....I don't want to purchase an entire doll just to have a pair of legs lying around, after I worked so hard to finally get the seahorse tail I wanted so badly. It's proving difficult, and it makes me kind of sad, because I would love to see this doll come to life but I don't think I've ever seen a fairyland fantasy torso floating around on it's own! I'm back after a long hiatus, so I might try the search again...

Also, the occasional "I finally got the body I wanted and now I'm not connecting with it as;dlfkjas;dlfj". Like i have a body that's just lived in the box but the idea of shipping it to someone just seems like SO MUCH.

9. My biggest frustration is finding both time and inspiration to play with my dolls! I know I can sew and craft lovely wonderful things for any of them at any given time and I would be happier for having done it... but at the same time, I don't have the mental energy. I suspect poor Rigel is going to keep their casual tshirt/yoga pants outfit for a long time for that reason.

Oh well. They're clothed, they have a faceup and a Good Enough wig, they make me happy to have around. That's enough.

10. I wish Fairyland sold more clothes directly that were made to fit their dolls. Just buying clothes for "SD" size aren't likely to fit. It's a shame, too!

11. The wigs are my most frustrate thing to do.. mainly because of the frezz .the hair I never can get right I have been known to work for hours trying to get a wig just right and the frezy gets to my nerves so bad lol.

12. Since most of the shopping is done online I can't really see the dolls or accessories I'm buying, even when I look at owner pics it tends to look different irl, this is really frustrating because of how expensive the hobby is so to get the perfect sculpt or wig you have to buy more and experiment with different looks. This might not be such a big deal but considering the expenses and waiting time it makes me lose interest.

13. Hobby frustrations, hmm…
      I see a lot of the same looking dolls for head sculpts, which is sometimes a bit bothering to me too. But overall it can be a wallet saver for me :lol: Some wait times I find a bit too much for some companies. I am fine with up to 9 months, but prefer under 6. Since I have noticed that sometimes my excitement has died down by the time i received them, or my taste changed in the meantime.
      Unique body shapes are awesome to me personally, but can be difficult clothing wise for fit and finding fantasy clothes for. I feel like I have to hand-make it all by myself is the way to go sometimes or some of my dolls will stay naked for forever :lol:

14. I can totally agree with the positive side in it being an easy money saver, but I also have been noticing this trend of same face syndrome. One of my favorite companies in recent months has been moving more aesthetically in the direction of other soft, young and small featured females (and even some of their boys) that other companies (like Luts, Loongsoul, and Fairyland) are known for. So much of their previous selection was unique and cool, and a lot of their girls in particular had this uniqueness and maturity to them. But now...I find the newer stuff just—bland, if I'm being honest. The same old youthful, round-faced, innocent, and semi-stylized girls and boys that's already dominated most of the other BJD offerings (that aren't independent artists anyways). It's a shame, really, as I really liked seeing new releases from them in the past...and now I'm just bored with them.

A more personal frustration: customizing my DV Moon, I guess? I thought to take the sponge-on sealant route (mix pearl-ex into the sealant and apply, etc), but I'm just—not digging the results. I guess I'm finding the overall technique frustrating, and am thinking I'll clean off what's currently been done and break out the spray sealant again. You live, you learn:XD::sweat

15. I have to be really careful what sculpts I buy now, because I know myself well enough to know that if a doll is difficult to shop for clothing-wise, they will never be clothed. I've pretty much sold most of my MSDs that are bigger than 45cm. It is the single most frustrating thing for me because it ruins my plans for dolls. I also love doing faceups but hate having to go through the process of setting up. The shaking of the can especially hurts my ears. I'm tempted to try covering it in a towel from now on.

In addition, the fact that what I love seeing in dolls and what I enjoy owning are often completely different. That's extremely frustrating. I would love to own the little pet dolls from Dream Valley, but I know I won't bond with them, for example. And when sculpts are completely different without the faceup. I hate that so much. There's a few Dollmore sculpts I was in love with and wanted but when I saw them in person at meetups, I was like "Wow that feature really annoys me. I'm glad I never bought it." I also fully understand why companies choose not to sell heads separately but it's so frustrating when I'm in love with a head but hate the body.

16. I'm new and yet to have a doll, but my biggest frustration even searching right now is for companies that do dark complexion. I didn't realize how difficult it was to even find companies that make them and if they did, I learned it was for a limited time or they just don't make them. I know a couple of companies that now that make them now, but nothing to would fit my characters I want to shell.

Another thing I would say are the bodies. I find bodies I like the sculpt of, but they seem to be a bit too thin for what I'm looking for and if I do as I said before, they don't offer the dark skin tone I wanted.

17. trying to find clothing for a msd like hangman is proving to be issues

and looking at horror mods and having to deal with dead link/photos

18. My current frustration is there's not a single eye size that fits my Doll Chateau's Alberta. I have tried 12,13,14,16 and 18 and honestly, nothing truly fits seamlessly. There will always be a gap because the eyes are either too small or too big. I'm thinking about getting a custom made pair but that means I'll have to send her away and I'm so afraid of breaking her antlers during shipping so I chickened out of that idea. I just really hope I can have a pair that fits her

19. Maybe I’m just unlucky, but my frustration is finding a nice head sculpt and realizing once it’s on the body that the chin is virtually nonexistent from the side. Looks nice from the front, but the profile view has so little chin it looks off; it barely sticks out from the neck. Why no chin?? :(

20. I have some recs for companies that do darker resin colours!

-Iplehouse: they do tan all the time (special real/ light brown/dark brown) and every other month they do ebony, which is their darkest brown

this is their Ebony
      [​IMG]Kamau in his glory by Indifferent Red, on Flickr

This is dark brown (furthest left), then ws, then “special real”
      [​IMG]Tall girl comparisons! by Indifferent Red, on Flickr

-Resinsoul doesn’t show it on their site, but they can do literally any colour. They have done jet black before, they’ve done lots of custom darker brown shades, you just have to email them and send them a picture of the colour you want.

-impldoll also does custom colours! They’ve done it all before too, I’ve seen reds, I’ve seen translucent parts, I’ve seen jet black, I’ve seen dark brown, you’d just have to email them a picture of the colour you’re looking for!

-Twigling isn’t open for orders right now, because their caster is in Russia. But with their last caster, they had “sienna tan” which was similar to iplehouse’s dark brown, and “raw umber” which was a shade lighter than iplehouse’s ebony

-Dollshe: do NOT buy from Dollshe directly, you may wait three years (or more) to receive your doll. Dollshe will not be honest about his wait times if asked. Second hand though, you can find all kinds of gorgeous shades from him, as he did a lot of darker shades.

-granado: if you like Big Boys this is gonna be great. They do custom colours, but they also have bronze, chocolate and rosy tan that may be what you’re looking for.

-other companies I can think of that’ll do custom shades are Angell Studio, Doll Family A, Doll family H, loongsoul, and Dikadoll.