1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bjd frustrations

Aug 17, 2018

1. Sets of 20, never to be made again.

TWENTY.

This is partially an exaggeration, but holy guacamole. I thought it was unreal when I discovered the (OT vinyl) doll company that made only lots of 150-200.

And I get it. These particular dolls are extremely difficult to make. The molds alone can cost $10,000 USD (or so I heard from another doll artist).

But if you're only going to make 20 (or so), and then never again, why must you taunt me so - leaving them on your website, giving me the false hope that you might one day sell them again?

This one is new, but it's driving me up the wall - do any (ANY) BJD sales websites offer a filter function for their inventory? If I want to buy a size 8-9 red synthetic mohair wig, must I click on every wig on every page to see if it comes in that size/color combo? And I'm not singling any particular dealer out. I genuinely don't think I've seen a filter function on any doll website.

Yes, there's tags, and sometimes even categories, but dude. Even shopping for what you want is so frustrating sometimes - and I love shopping. On the other hand, I understand that it's a very niche hobby; the dolls are already expensive enough, and I am guessing there's not much appetite to pay more just for a nicer UI. But hey, you asked ... :apirate:

And this. It's getting harder and harder for me to buy much of anything if I am not positive that it's legit.

I'm in the process of cancelling accounts with several well-known online marketplaces, because I'm tired of seeing those types of dolls. And I just discovered this hobby six months ago. I don't know how y'all deal.

#121 MaleficentMrsofEvil, May 2, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
    2. Falling in love with a sculpt/doll, only to find out they have been discontinued for many years and they're excruciatingly hard to find second hand, and when they appear, you can't afford them. OTL so painful.

3. RN its not having the space to get a crafting room setup to make the clothing I've imagined for my two dolls, but having the extra funds to potentially commission the lewks I'm wanting, but feeling like I should wait till I can do it myself even tho my first trip to a fabric store was overwhelming and I left with nothing *_*

And then, because of that, I have other dolls id like to get but I feel like I should wait till these two are fully done (at least i have potential but not perfect wigs on the way) before doing that, because I really just want the other dolls as examples for their sculpts for what I'd like to do when I create the time (and again: space) to create my own sculpts.

But tbh the distance between inspiration and actualization has always been a problem for me :doh #4thdimensionproblems

4. Finding things that actually fit my doll. Shoes are almost impossible. There doesn't seem to be any sort of standard within the doll sizes. Even dolls whose measurements are pretty much the same can actually be shaped entirely differently. While this makes for a lovely diversity in the dolls it makes them very hard to buy things for.

5. It's frustrating when you see a really cool sculpt on Instagram, but the poster never puts the sculpt's name anywhere in the description or hashtags. I rarely am able to name any sculpt from the top of my head, so it would be really nice to see what the sculpt's name is.

6. I find restringing dolls with complicated anatomy, and trying to match resin colors on hybrid dolls super frustrating.

7. I second (third? fourth?) hybrid resin matching frustration. For me it's particularly bad when you like an artist who only makes heads and then it's left up to you to figure out what company is going to fit the neck sizing and resin color. The community does a pretty good job of trying to pull together to help people determine matches, but it would be MORE helpful if "normal" and "white" resin colors were more standardized.

And if there were any kind of predictability to how resin looks as it ages/mellows across companies as well.

8. I feel this on a personal level.

9. I make really great clothes for my dolls, then every photo I take turns out looking bad or no one even sees it. It's frustrating when I want to share something I know a lot of people would love, then my post gets 2 likes. I have (in my opinion) super awesome Minifee joggers but because I haven't invested years in building up a social media presence they don't even get seen.

10. urgh, shoes. It's already hard to find nice ones for normal sizes. Everything nice seems to be at least SD sized (which I understand, materials get bulky in smaller sizes... but still frustrating!)
      and then I have dolls with unconventional feet like my DC K-11 body, or my DV body, which have very thin feet, and it gets even harder to find something that works.

Plus shoes are just not something I can see myself making. I'm fairly crafty, I've made a lot of things for my dolls, but shoes are... every tutorial makes it feel complicated:sigh

11. The prices of dolls clothes. There's so many cute clothes out there I'd love to get for my dolls, but they just get way to expensive sometimes. Sometimes the prices of doll clothes are higher than what I spend to cloth myself. So I've been upcycling clothes from other dolls I find at goodwill and trying to make my own instead.

12. Many dolls have suffering or contemptuous faces, which I don't like.

13. I’m trying to stay positive but mine right now is that I found an amazing outfit online that is a reasonable price but the shipping on the website is $30!?

14. I'm seconding people who never tag their doll sculpts in pictures, or those who give you the cold shoulder if you ask! There are so many companies out there now with so many head and body combinations, there's no way any one person can remember them all, and I like adding new dolls and companies to my repertoire of doll knowledge.

15. When people don't want to tell you, I feel like it's a form of gating the hobby and preventing other people from getting the same sculpt as you. It's not okay =/

16. Doll diversity, in general.
      1) not enough skintone variants/a vast sea of white/Caucasian dolls
      2) not enough bodytype variants/a vast sea of skinny, very slender, maybe busty or photogenically proportioned dolls
      3) I want more monster dolls but maybe that's me

17. I’ve had people tell me that they don’t remember...who doesn’t remember the sculpt :|

18. ME! Sometimes I forget! My ResinSoul I always need to look it up :( BUT it takes less than 5 minutes to find the information and share =/

19. Oh no, lol! But you look it up and share, there are the ones that don’t want to share because they don’t want you to buy the same one.

20. I have several whose sculpt names I forget all the time. Their character names are what I think of them by, not their sculpt names. If I didn't have them all recorded in my profile here, there's some I would have fully forgotten by now.