1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD worth $5000: have you seen one?

Jan 6, 2010

1. Ridiculously priced if you asked me, considering that some of them are actual figurines and action toys from TV series. I have seen some of those action figures on HMV for less than a fraction of the price. Hmm doubt anybody with knowledge of BJDs and vynls would buy them.

2. Ooh yes , I saw one on eBay last year I think.
      I took a printscreen because I couldn't beleive the price.
      Perhaps someone might recognise it - A Bermann, I think?
      $6580 ;)

[​IMG]

3. Christ! , i might get a kick, but it is not one of the nicest dolls i have seen. The price is enough to make my eyes water :P (i here i was feeling guilty for buying an $80 second hand AOD )*_*:|:|

4. Yes, many antique French Jumeaux (in reasonsably good condition) which are also ball jointed dolls cost above $5000. Examples

I have read some time back, a Volks SD17 Reisner one off go for $5000 but that was a charity sale conducted directly during one of Volk's dolpa. I believe the doll was mint, not from the secondary market.

5. It's all down to what a particular thing is worth to a particular person. I bet quite a few of us have dolls we wouldn't sell at any price. If a particular doll called strongly enough in the marketplace I would not be surprised at the sacrifice made by the person called.

I sold ten dolls once to get a particular siren, and never regretted it.

6. Heh! One of my best pals just spent almost that much on a dolly recently!!
      Good ol' YJ!! ^_~

Raven

7. As many have mentioned, Shinku and Dream FCS come to mind as being at that priced tag.

However, I remember when that article was written, and at that time there was a face up artist named Evenstar whose repaints of limiteds were fetching around $5000 on eBay (was it a tanned soo I am thinking of, I cannot quite remember). So I think that might be some of the specific instances that writer was thinking of, since the article mentioned customized, and at that point in time the default Shinkus were going for more than the customized and Dream FCS was not available yet ^_^ Of course I could be wrong, but those are the instances that stick out in my mind.

8. I am not prepared to pay this much for any type of doll! Antique or contemporary! Those antique dolls sell comfortably at that price. Sometimes, prices go above $20,000. These prices make me feel like a looser, don't know why. I prefer jewels.

9. Thus far, I haven't seen anything over 2,000 on DoA But, I haven't been in the community that long, or ever been hunting for expensive limiteds, for that matter.

I did come across a really unique doll made by an independent artist that was listed as 5,000USD or so on Ebay. She was terribly fascinating, perhaps some of you know what I'm talking about...?

Well, in that sort of case, I think the price can be justified by the fact that it is a OOAK art piece. But, as for rare sculpts from other companies that have been customized...well, I'd rather just customize my own...I don't have a particular fondness for any rare or limited sculpts at the moment.

There are some that appeal to me, but many, many more basic dolls to entertain me in their stead.

10. The Dollectable Bermann went for just shy of US$6K.

Bermann was an extremely limited run of Dollshe dolls; they were released periodically in editions of 11 and the last run was finished just shy of two years ago. Needless to say, they're incredibly sought-after. I'm pretty sure Tensiya's association with Dollshe ended shortly after the last Bermann release (but you can find boatloads of pictures of them here; I'm particularly fond of Mercy's myself).

I don't cruise Y!J (to save my poor wallet), but I've seen a couple Bermanns go for north of US$5K. I don't think that's the current going price -- I think the last one I saw sold was for around US$3K -- but with the enduring popularity of Dollshes and the rarity of the old body style, it wouldn't surprise me if they climbed back up into the US$5K range when the economy improves again.

11. Wow... I can, however, guarantee that this will never be me, my friends. I can honestly say I have never seen a doll I thought was worth more than $1,000 dollars to me, let alone $5,000. Close to $900? Sure! I saw one at a meet-up recently that I looked at and went, "Yeah, that is worth every single cent paid" and it was down-right close to $1,000, if not more.

Not to take anything away from any of the artists but to be honest, I could never even justify $5,000 that price on my own, personal doll hobby.

12. I wouldn't spend that much on a single doll... because I could get 10 that I really wanted, complete with eyes, wigs, and clothes for that much.

13. A mint SD Shinku will go for the equivalent to $5000 on Y!J, and near mints will be in the vicinity. Really gorgeous OOAKs can also land at that price and more - they are unique after all.

I mean, there are OOAK outfits and wigs that will go for $500 and more, money which would buy a doll!

As to the question if it's worth it - that up to you. If it is something you truly, truly love, it just might be...

14. I'd be interested to see one in person, just to see what the fuss was about. But I personally can't imagine paying $5000 for a doll. It's way too much responsibility owning something like that. I'd be afraid to play with it. I like to get my dolls totally blank and design them myself. I also just feel a little guilty spending that kind of money on dolls--I feel like it's past my indulgence threshold, I guess.
      I admit, though, that whenever I see a really expensive doll on Ebay or something, I click on it. And I can't judge other people for buying them--some of my friends think it's just as nuts I spend $220 on a Resinsoul. It's all relative.

15. hmmm...no. But , I recently saw that an OOAK doll by Enchanted Doll went for $40,000 on Ebay this week.

16. 0_o that's a car or a down payment on a house or a college education.

I told myself that I would never buy a doll over $500 dollars, but I recently spend $1,200 of Volks Ruby... :| But I've never seen a doll that was worth $5,000 dollars to me. Though I do know that one Berman went for $6,000 dollars. I saw a Unoa Zero in the marketplace for $3,000. And my friend has a friend who sold a Volks YoSD of some type and got $30,000 for it.

Shoot, if I had a doll that some offered me $30,000 dollars for it, I wouldn't tell them no.

17. Heh, I told myself I would never spend more than that same amount for a doll but I spent $3000.00 for a doll last year so :| indeed! Sometimes a doll just has that something and its worth the asking price to you. Which BTW may seem like a silly or irresponsible thing to do or way too much money to pay for a doll, but I love my doll and he is worth every penny to me.

18. I saw a Shinku sell in person for about $5000 a few days ago at the mandrake in Shinjuku. As far as I know, they still have one in stock if anyone wants to go nuts and grab her :P

I also saw someone pay over $4000 for one of the US/FDQ kimono Madoka dolls, which I thought was a bit silly since there was another version of Madoka available for half that price...

19. Congrats on getting SD16 Ruby. I have one and she is my absolute favorite doll! She is also one of my all time favorite Volks Molds as well!

Back on topic; $5k is a lot for a doll but it is all relative. The most expensive doll I have ever bought was a $1600.00 SD16 Madoka One-Off. She is lovely and I appreciate her everyday so she was worth it to me. I also recently bought a Yo-SD for $700 which is a lot for some people but she was worth it to me. I think it really just depends on the individual...