1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD worth $5000: have you seen one?

Jan 6, 2010

1. Saw Volks dolls on ebay for around five thousand. They were called Love dolls or something like that. I wouldn't pay thousands for anything made in resin. There's something about the medium that doesn't justify the price. If I was going to spend big money on dolls I'd buy Enchanted Dolls.

2. When I first saw ABJDs, I was aghast at the $300 MSDs that I'd seen, thinking I could never pay that much for a doll. A year later, I blew my own mind by paying $600 for my first doll, and now years later I find I'd be comfortably willing to pay $1500-$2000 for certain dolls thinking "wow, what a good deal!" This is a dangerous hobby guys. :sweat

3. Thanks, everybody, for your response. I discovered a lot of things that I hadn't known before and I did a lot of searches to get myself acquainted with the most expensive BJDs in the market. It's strange that when I look at the dolls priced 5000USD or more their expensiveness seemed to make them look, I dunno, shinier, more beautiful than if they'd been priceed between 400 and 600. To ME, they looked about 400 to 600, to be honest, at most 700. If you asked me what doll was worth upwards of 5000USD to me, it would be this one:

http://fashiondollempire.blogspot.com/2009/09/transformation-womanlized-jessica-by.html

A customized Luo by an artist named Chewin. I would pay 5000 USD for that doll.

4. Hahah, I love that!

5. wow i would buy a real guy that looked like that, but not a doll LOL

6. *lol* I wouldn’t be that demanding, just cook meals and clean my house would be enough for me. :lol:

And to the topic: I don’t wish to buy ‘expensive’ dolls; the reason is that I want to have fun with them (take them outside, customize them, etc.) and having a 5k worth doll I just might worry too much to ‘touch it’ and it would deny my original purpose for having dolls.

But I can understand that some people do spend a lot of money on them and since it is not my money I’m perfectly fine with it. ;)

7. Perhaps I worded my comment badly. I think 17 feedbacks is very low for someone bidding at that level, which piques my curiosity, because that can be a sign of shill bidding. I haven't concluded anything, jumping or otherwise, because there's not enough information to do so. I would just advise caution when considering becoming involved with an auction like this one, that's all.

8. Well for one thing the auction finished over a year and a half ago, so regardless of whether it was a shill bidder I'm sure it's worth worrying about now. ;)

But I wouldn't find it surprising at all for a bidder with 17 feedback to go for Bermann- it's the kind of doll that's really a dream doll, and someone who doesn't use eBay much but desperately wants one would have few other options than try for the eBay auction, simply because they don't come up for sale all that often. I'd think it's the same thing for a lot of these super high-priced dolls, they wouldn't go for so much if they weren't truly the stuff of someone's dream, rather than just another rare doll for the wealthy collector.

9. Ditto everything JennyNemesis said here.

Some dolls are worth the higher prices. And yes that Black Ducan at $3500 is a bargain. He is beyond gorgeous

10. Ha ha ha, I was thinking about messaging them and making an offer on the Airi I wanted, but I thought since I wouldn't even be offering 1/4 of the listing price that it probably wouldn't go down well...

As for me, this year I have quite a vast amount of extra income, so would probably pay up to £850 (probably near enough £1K after VAT and import duties...) if I get really set on a doll. But then I should potentially save the money, as I will have zero income for the year after this... I don't think I would find many dolls that I would be that in love with though, I don't find myself even considering most dolls at all.

11. one of a kind dolls by beloved customisers will always fetch a great deal of money. beauty and rarity, when they combine in the doll market, equal high prices.

:)

12. I wouldn't personally pay that much for one doll, but if you look at how much one might spend on doll-related stuff in a year, it could easily add up to that or more, so if you only bought one doll that year and it was that much, it's kind of the same. Bottom line is the money was spent whether for one item or several. I agree that is may sound like alot of money, but if it brings a person much happiness, then the pricetag is almost a moot point! :)

13. wow! i have just been glancing through this topic and it's mad isn't it! But i guess it is art and that can go for stupid amounts! I felt bad paying $200 for a lati! YIKES!

14. Well said! The highest I saw was the F28 by Caress of Venus and that was over $5000 just for the head XD

I think for these kind of things it is hard to say if the price was worth it or not. It depends on the person. Sometimes it is hard to put a price tag on things. There are outfits on Y!J that go over $1000 already XD If the person is willing to pay that much for it, the price will get there.

15. In person, I've seen Bermanns. They hadn't been purchased for anything like $5k, but I suppose it could be possible that they could sell for that much (more likely around $3K, I'd think, but you can never tell).

As others have said, it's a collector's market and if someone with enough money wants something badly enough, then something will be bought for such amounts.

I certainly do admire the dolls that sell so high... not because of the price, but because I do like certain customizers and certain sculpts. However, I'm not rolling in money, so I'm not going to pay so much. But if you think of it this way, those of us with a number of dolls might have spent $5K easy on them (and maybe including all their stuff). So if there was ONE doll that we had to have more than ANYTHING, $5k isn't out of the question since we've definitely spent as much already! (Though, most of us'd rather have our several dolls than the ONE, but hey--that's a choice and the money amount is the same.)

*_*

16. I always told myself that if I ever became wealthy, I would gladly shell out $25,000 for a Jumeau, if I could. Even though I find BJD's more physically appealing, I wouldn't mind paying that price for what I would consider a piece of history.

But honestly, I could never afford to pay over $500 on a doll if it wasn't on credit, like with my Lusion (which I'm still paying for, but don't regret it for a second!), just to build my credit. $5,000 though....Ross maybe cost more than my car, but $5,000 could buy me four and half more of my car! :o

17. Haha, the Jumeau, yes, some are more than 100 years old. I've been watching. Between the Jumeau and Asian resin BJD, I'd go for the Jumeau anytime, it's history time tested. Somehow at that price, "love" is not a factor. :sweat. The cheapest Jumeaux I like are at least $5000. So, $5000 is always a magic number for me. I don't even dare cough out $2800 for full set Reisner, my Jumeau dream remains a dream. Sometimes I feel like a looser, don't know why. :(

18. I wonder how much a demon (white) unoa would be going for about now! :o I haven't seen one on the market in well over a year or two.. *_*

I've been in the hobby for almost 5 years now, and I've been fully able to keep my cap of $500 (except for my chibi unoa, which was $650, but that was due to currency conversion, deputy and shipping fees which sucked out at least $200!!). I just don't have the financial capability to spend that much on something purely for pleasure (that's not a family vacation or a new piece of furniture!) xD

But I can fully understand how people would justify spending many $Ks on dolls they really want. My mind boggles at things that cross into the dozens though!!!