1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD worth $5000: have you seen one?

Jan 6, 2010

1. :o --- I must say that bjd is so gorgeous!!! I can't help but not look at her painted face -- beautiful. Currently she is at 44 bids with 44k. I really must say that this one did make me gasp and want to look into more of her work.

For dolls that cost 5k and over, I do not think that it is very odd. At first I thought so, but now that I see how much popularity a doll or owner has, and all the love that one artist has for their doll, it makes sense that the doll's owners or the dolls themselves may make one see that prices that others would consider insanely-expensive to be 'rational' prices.

2. I personally enjoy how the Ebay auction description says that she is designed for play...
      If I spent $40,000 on a doll... I don't think I would play with her much... ever O_O
      She would sit in a cabinet and look exceptionally pretty~

Probably why I won't ever get a doll over $1000, anyway - I'd be too afraid to touch it! It would just have to be a collector's item, haha.

3. And OMFG...that is SO not worth it.

4. Actually, it is. I wouldn't pay that amount of money for a Bermann personally, but this doll is popular, very rare and highly sought after so this price isn't even that rediculous.

5. ooof- Those are some beautiful sculpts but I could never do it. u_u; my entire WTB list right now is under 2k.

6. I wonder if the really expensive dolls get played with. I know that I would be afraid of damaging a one of a kind doll. But, some of them take your breath away, they are so beautiful.

7. I recently saw one for 40K. She was built similar to resin dolls but was porcelain, with permanent body colouring and face-up. She was small, like 12" I think. Gorgeous thing she was.

8. I have seen and held and played with a Berman and I think they are stunning, and I KNOW the market value of one can be that high, however I have never seen a doll I would be willing to pay that much for.

9. Yes, expensive dolls get played with, same as any other.

It depends entirely on the owner. Some owners prefer cabinet-babies, and some owners play with their dolls. Everyone's threshold is different.

Once you grow up & learn to play nice with your things, it's easier than it seems to handle an expensive doll without worrying that your mere touch will destroy it. Took me awhile, too.

Says you - you're not a Bermann collector. Many Bermann collectors would be dancing in the streets to be able to take that guy home for any price.

Again, speak for yourself - it's only YOU who doesn't feel free to take them out for photoshoots. Which is fine. Other people's high-priced dolls do get tons of travel, meetups, photostories, etc.

Ahh, that... let me guess, it was spoken by somebody who used the word 'Elitist' in a preemptive strike because s/he was insecure about the price of his/her own doll....? Or was it just someone blurting out "OMFG, that is liektotally so not worth it?" :roll:

10. Now I'm curious about these Bermann dolls, I've never heard of them.

I would be annoyed if someone said something to me about anything I owned 'not being worth it', and quickly put them in their place. First of all, the money one spends on things is usually noone's business (with the exception of a significant other for example). Secondly, how can you put a price on happiness? And why are some expensive recreational things ok and some not? Things like boats, cottages, trips, luxury cars, etc. seem to be 'acceptable'.

ETA: Those Bermann dolls are nice! I think if someone loves them and can afford to buy them, the only thing silly about that is going through life denying oneself. Life's short, enjoy it.

11. I LOL'ed. It's the same thing as people who collect old or exotic sports cars. You learn to take care of a 2003 Ferrari Enzo Coupe - $643,330 and still enjoy driving it, you just do so carefully/differently than if it were say, a 2008 Tata Motors Nano - $2,500.

When I remember some of the toys I had growing up, I kick myself for not treating them better. All my Breyer ponies that had ears chipped, legs broken and paint rubbed off... or even worse, my own little artistic ( I mean crayon and ball point pen ) enhancements, are now on bid for a hell of a lot of money now. *_* My She Ra action figure collection with all the fantastic Pegasus horses and extras ended up lost, thrown out or destroyed. Growing up, if I had the maturity to take better care of my toys, I would still have them now.

In the end, that $5000 toy is just still a toy.

12. I know a company that makes BJDs out of porcelain and china paint. There was a doll that sold for 40k USD. I think their name is Enchanted Dolls.

13. If I had the money (which I don't) and the sculpt is really of my liking, then why not? I wouldn't mind paying $5000 for a well designed BJD ( I believe it should be limited with an unique face up). On the other hand, spending $40,000 on a doll it's over the limit unless you are a very very but VERY rich person who doesn't have to worry about College, food or rent money, let alone, taking care of little kids (my kids or family members are first over everything!).

14. Same here. XD; Although on her site, the seller of the $40,000 says she will replace broken parts either free or for a very small price, so I'd be much less nervous. Although I'd still be nervous to take it places where it might get stolen. *A*;;;

15. Personally, I think £1,000 UK is my maximum that I am willing to put down on a single doll, and she will have to be VERY special in order for me to justify to myself that kind of an expenditure on a single doll.

Now if I win the lottery, that might well change, but still, she would have to be one hell of a doll for me to break the £1,000 UK limit I have set myself here. Something like a one off Soom Mecha Angel with a faceup and full outfit to look like Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell or Robin from Witch Hunter Robin - something that is really one of a kind and unique.

Otherwise, I just cannot justify spending that kind of money when £3,000 ($5,000 US) is what I get in a quarter.

Phil.

16. I'm trying to come to terms with the 165 I intend to spend on my first doll ^^; I'm just trying to wade in very carefully. If I get her and it turns out I'm not particularly interested in the dolls beyond oggling on the internet, then I won't be out that much and might be able to sell her at least.

But if I had the funding, 165 might be what I found in my couch cushions. I think if someone really wants to spend that much on a doll, by all means be my guest.

17. If I had the spare money (whatever that is), I wouldn't hesitate to pay 5K for a Bermann. And, guess what, I'd play the hell out of him too. ;)

18. I'm not sure about the exact price tag, but I've heard Koitsukihime dolls (which are rarely for sale and mostly for photography, I think) are very expensive. But they're absolutely gorgeous and I'd probably sell my soul just to own one:lol:.

Her dolls have been used for various single and album covers of many jrock bands such as D and Malice Mizer.

19. I own a Bermann. I was lucky enough to win the chance to purchase him in the very last release a couple of years ago. I paid $2k for his full set, and he was worth every. single. penny.

Bermann was my dream doll. From the start, I'd see pictures of dolls that made me swoon, and it would always turn out to be Bermann. I never, in a million years, thought I would get to own one.

Many dolls have come through my house since I've started collecting BJDs, but he is one that isn't going anywhere if I can help it. Yes, I may be able to get 10 other dolls for his price, but they wouldn't be him. They wouldn't make me as happy as he does. There is just something I find breathtaking about the sculpt.

I don't know what his current resale price is, but I'm guessing it hasn't changed much from the $3-6k estimate last time I looked.

And do I play with him? You betcha! ;)