1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJDS: A hobby... or *way of life*?

May 7, 2010

1. For me right, is it a hobby, a very involved hobby. I love sewing and photography, and I get to create all the stuff I want, and take pics of them when ever I want. I am attached to them, but I don't spend every moment with them and to me they are a fun diversion and a good way to meet other people who share the same interest as I do. As a way of life, i could see where it could be considered that, I have met many who consider their dolls full fledge family members and if that what makes them happy and fulfills them, then I say live and let live.

2. I agree with a lot of what people said. I consider "way of life" something that is incorporated into my daily life or dictates a large part of my life to. My dolls are a hobby to me. Something fun for me to occupy my free time with basically.

3. I think it depends on what you consider a way of life. What I consider a way of life is the reason you don't kill yourself when dying becomes easier than living. The reason you keep living is your way of life. If that is BJDs, than I would say for that person BJDs are a way of life. So I'd say for most people BJDs are not a way of life, but a hobby, something done for pleasure to waste time. For example, my mother says her way of life is nurturing, specially children. And my best friend says his way of life is creation, he lives to create things. I'd say my way of life is interaction. I like to interact with objects (sometimes those objects are dolls, but there is a lot more than that which I interact with), people, animals and the scenery which surrounds me, that is the thing which I crave and that is my reason.

4. Hobby, deffinitely. It gives me something to do, plus, I've always liked dolls, and even though you do have to do a little searching around for info (like face-ups, restringing, etc.,) I can easily stop looking at doll websites, stop looking to save money and get more, stop everything. I'd probably find myself with more disposable income:lol:, but it's not a drug habbit. Yeah, people get more absorbed than others - you're going to find that in every hobby.

But with BJDs, as I said, I like dolls. I'm willing to put up with the extra stuff that happens to go with it. I'm willing to go psycho waiting for my doll to get here, but that's just because I really wanted a doll for 4 years.

Am I very involved? No, though I'd like to be. I have school most of the time (if I could tell you the week I had...) and that tends to take a lot out of me. I tend to get to bed at 8-9pm. So, duffing the work, I have some time with Emma, and that's pretty much it.

5. It is a hobby for me, but also a sort of career, i design alot of things intended for use with BJD's.
      So it's not a way of life for me, just a big part of my life.
      I don't think i'd ever have my doll attend my wedding, all things aside, it'd be very hard to keep track of x.x weddings are busy busy days and you are not going to want to hold onto your doll the entire time.

If someone wants their dolly with them on their special day, thats fine.

But for me.... i think that's a day that should be more about your new spouse. If you are babysitting your doll it might not seem as special to them.

To each their own though :P

6. Way of life for me...
      Mine are not cared about only when I'm boring. They take part of my life every time like a cat or a dog. People cannot consider to not taking care about their animals or relatives, so the same for my dolls ^_^

7. That's not an easy question.
      For me it's not just a hobby, but it's not a way of life either.
      I think they're really important to improve your creativity and skills like painting, sculpting, sewing or photography as well.
      Dolls are the perfect medium to do all this things they're also a beautiful piece of art and art is a big part of my life.
      I think I can replace them with others artistic mediums if I've to, it also depends how much I feel mine that particular creation (doll).

Does that make any sense?:sweat

8. I'd say my dolls are definitely more of a hobby. I wouldn't even think about having them attend any real life events, even if the photos could potentially be great. I don't like merging things into my everyday existence. D:
      I also see people budgeting specifically for dolls / doll things or they're constantly awaiting doll related things in the mail... That isn't me either. Although I buy things occasionally, I really hate constantly waiting on things (especially when it's doll things, as I always feel that my family will think I'm wasting money or suchlike)

I mean, my dolls are a major hobby for me. I love planning doll related things, taking their photos, making them things... But it's definitely not a "way of life" for me.

9. It's whatever you want to label it as. It's the same debate you get in goth forums, Steampunk and lolita forums, artist forums and sculptor forums, glassware collectors and banana sticker collectors aslo ask the same thing... Hobby or way of life?

And either answer will be judged. Say hobby, certain parts of the community will think you flippant- a blow in, someone who really doesn't care about dolls like you SHOULD. Say Way of Life and other parts will look at you as an elitist, a doll snob.
      (and both opinions of the other are a load of rubbish)

There's no problem with how you look at it... It's all personal choice.

Me? Neither really. it's an extenstion of my character creation job-passion-career-hobby-obsession thing so it's more part of my life than a WAY of life, and part of a larger obsession than a hobby

10. One of many hobbies and one of several important collections, to me :) ( I am a Virgo :P )
      But my hobbies define me a LOT now that my career is on hold to be a stay-at-home mommy. Also, my passions and collections add joy and flavor to life. So, hmm. Not "lifestyles" per se, but I am a perfectionist and consider every venture I take on as something to be done with great attention.
      I think I should say that I am split in several hobbies that are, in joy and emotional value, on a par with BJD's. I could never pick just one, so never one gets to dominate as lifestyle :D

11. It's only a hobby for me, but, then again, I'm only starting...

12. I bet the people who do feel it's a way of life are the same people who get heavily into the collecting. There are hotels in Japan now that have dolly hotel resort getaways, its pretty intense.

That's what's great,its both, or either, or everything D: 6 level department stores and all!

13. BJDs are my hobby, but I put in so much time, love and effort that it could almost be my way of life! That said, they aren't included in everything I do. I spend money on them, I take them out (meet ups, vacations), I meditate with them when I'm not feeling well, and in return, they provide company for me and keep me looking forward to something. I also have friends through BJDs so there's a whole part of my social life!

14. Right now, its only a hobby for me, but I have been putting a good amount of time and effort into my boy. Maybe it /will/ turn into a way of life for me, but I can't say for sure at the moment. I'm so new in the hobby, but I love it. <3

15. Its a hobby for me, probably as equal as my other hobbies. I wouldnt say collecting dolls defines me as a person, just an aspect. Its like any hobby, some people can completely incorporate it into everything they do because they love it, I have known people refer everything from Star Trek to train spotting as a 'religion' and when talking about themselves that will be the first thing they mention about themselves. Whatever, go for it if it makes you happy. If I had a hobby define me it would be alot of other things before dolls came into it.

16. For me it's not just a hobby of some sort. I've become very attatched to this hobby and it can be described as a way of life nowdays. I've been in the hobby from -06 and my life practically is about dollying, buying them, making characters, clothes etc. I've made friends thought a doll forum and it's kinda sad how I have really no other friends.

It might be time for me to separate my life from dolls a bit. :sweat But for me dolls are the only thing that make me happy these days.

17. I don't know if I would say that this is a way of life for me, but it's more then a hobby for me now. I mainly use them as a creative outlet, but I do enjoy writing backstories, taking pictures, making clothes, etc. And very select family and friends know about my hobby (I had an unhappy experience with a ex-friend who got verbally agressive with for buying something "so stupid".)

But, I put aside money each month to buy dollie items like clothes and props. And I dig through the marketplace everyday to fine new goodies. But, I don't think I would go as far as to include them in wedding photos or anything like that.

18. For me it is a hobby. I have had hobbies collecting dolls before but this one took me in much deeper as far as what i not only do with them; pic stories and such. But thanks to them I have made more friends then I could ever imagine. The top 3 reasons I love having ABJD is that they allowed me to be creative, make good friends and keep me from going crazy many a time.

19. Just an hobby like another to me and not my biggest one. They influence nothing in my life and they're often the last thing in my mind. Even, I've many BJD I don't want to know if it was more important to me.:sweat

20. For me, I am very passionate about my dolls. I keep them in my living room, where I can see them. I also budget for them, I guess more than I do for food. Every one that I work with knows I have them, and some even remember their names. Well I guess that it is a way of life for me. At least for now. :->